Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default slow cooker/pressure cooker? Difference?

I'm confused. I see now that electric pressure cookers have a 'slow
cooker' feature. Why? Isn't a pressure cooker simply another way of
doing what a slow cooker does, only faster? I've always had a
pressure cooker, it was part of my life growing up. I only tried once
to use a slow cooker. I really don't understand why one would want
both. Is there really a difference in results? Is there anyone here
who has/uses both?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2012 9:23 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> I'm confused. I see now that electric pressure cookers have a 'slow
> cooker' feature. Why? Isn't a pressure cooker simply another way of
> doing what a slow cooker does, only faster? I've always had a
> pressure cooker, it was part of my life growing up. I only tried once
> to use a slow cooker. I really don't understand why one would want
> both. Is there really a difference in results? Is there anyone here
> who has/uses both?
> Janet US

The reason they exist is because it's cheap to make this appliance a
multi-function device. The slow cooker is for when you want to cook a
dish without paying it much attention. The pressure cooker is fast but
you have to be around to tend it.

Recently, I've been using my oven as a slow cooker by using temperatures
below 250 degrees. Putting stuff in the oven and forgetting about it has
a lot of appeal for me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 1:03*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 9/16/2012 9:23 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
> > I'm confused. *I see now that electric pressure cookers have a 'slow
> > cooker' feature. *Why? *Isn't a pressure cooker simply another way of
> > doing what a slow cooker does, only faster? *I've always had a
> > pressure cooker, it was part of my life growing up. *I only tried once
> > to use a slow cooker. *I really don't understand why one would want
> > both. *Is there really a difference in results? *Is there anyone here
> > who has/uses both?
> > Janet US

> The reason they exist is because it's cheap to make this appliance a
> multi-function device. The slow cooker is for when you want to cook a
> dish without paying it much attention. The pressure cooker is fast but
> you have to be around to tend it.
>
> Recently, I've been using my oven as a slow cooker by using temperatures
> below 250 degrees. Putting stuff in the oven and forgetting about it has
> a lot of appeal for me.

I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
in the same appliance.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
> double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
> a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
> in the same appliance.

I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> >
> > I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
> > double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
> > a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
> > in the same appliance.
> >

> I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
> panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
> room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
> can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
> while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
> potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

Rice cooker dinner:

Dice an onion and put in the rice cooker
Put six rice cooker cups of brown rice in the rice cooker over the
onions
Thick slice half a pound of mushrooms and put on top of the rice
Put six boneless skinless chicken thighs on top of the mushrooms
Add 8 rice cooker cups of chicken and/or vegetable broth to the rice
cooker
Close up, press the brown rice button and ignore for 1h30 or so.

Obviously you can adapt this overall concept a lot and add in matchstick
cut carrots, diced celery or whatever else sounds good. The idea of
putting the onions on the bottom is to help toast / caramelize them a
bit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 12:55*pm, "Pete C." > wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> > > I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
> > > double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
> > > a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
> > > in the same appliance.

> > I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
> > panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
> > room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
> > can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
> > while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
> > potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

> Rice cooker dinner:
>
> Dice an onion and put in the rice cooker
> Put six rice cooker cups of brown rice in the rice cooker over the
> onions
> Thick slice half a pound of mushrooms and put on top of the rice
> Put six boneless skinless chicken thighs on top of the mushrooms
> Add 8 rice cooker cups of chicken and/or vegetable broth to the rice
> cooker
> Close up, press the brown rice button and ignore for 1h30 or so.
>
> Obviously you can adapt this overall concept a lot and add in matchstick
> cut carrots, diced celery or whatever else sounds good. The idea of
> putting the onions on the bottom is to help toast / caramelize them a
> bit.

Thanks for the recipe. I have to scale it down for my small cooker. I
like the idea of flipping a switch and ignoring it till it's ready to
eat - a lot!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:17:18 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

>On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>
>> I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
>> double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
>> a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
>> in the same appliance.
>>

>I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
>panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
>room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
>can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
>while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
>potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

I like all phases of cooking. I've never used my pressure cooker to
prepare an entire meal. My pressure cooker is a tool used to help
prepare -- cooking soup bones and meat for stock, cooking beans and
beets, cooking stew meat after browning for a tender stew -- that kind
of thing. I can't imagine throwing everything in a pot to cook
without regard to different cooking times and browning and so forth.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 9/16/2012 9:23 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> I'm confused. I see now that electric pressure cookers have a 'slow
>> cooker' feature. Why? Isn't a pressure cooker simply another way of
>> doing what a slow cooker does, only faster? I've always had a
>> pressure cooker, it was part of my life growing up. I only tried once
>> to use a slow cooker. I really don't understand why one would want
>> both. Is there really a difference in results? Is there anyone here
>> who has/uses both?
>> Janet US
>>

> The reason they exist is because it's cheap to make this appliance a
> multi-function device. The slow cooker is for when you want to cook a dish
> without paying it much attention. The pressure cooker is fast but you have
> to be around to tend it.
>
> Recently, I've been using my oven as a slow cooker by using temperatures
> below 250 degrees. Putting stuff in the oven and forgetting about it has a
> lot of appeal for me.

Sometimes I imagine that my oven is a time machine for cooking food.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Sep 16, 1:03 pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>> On 9/16/2012 9:23 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>>
>>> I'm confused. I see now that electric pressure cookers have a 'slow
>>> cooker' feature. Why? Isn't a pressure cooker simply another way of
>>> doing what a slow cooker does, only faster? I've always had a
>>> pressure cooker, it was part of my life growing up. I only tried
>>> once to use a slow cooker. I really don't understand why one would
>>> want both. Is there really a difference in results? Is there anyone
>>> here who has/uses both?
>>> Janet US

>> The reason they exist is because it's cheap to make this appliance a
>> multi-function device. The slow cooker is for when you want to cook a
>> dish without paying it much attention. The pressure cooker is fast
>> but you have to be around to tend it.
>>
>> Recently, I've been using my oven as a slow cooker by using
>> temperatures below 250 degrees. Putting stuff in the oven and
>> forgetting about it has a lot of appeal for me.

> I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
> double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
> a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
> in the same appliance.

I call mine "Jim Dandy".

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>
>> I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
>> double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
>> a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and
>> fries, in the same appliance.
>>

> I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice
> cooker, panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could
> set up in a room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I
> believe that you can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping
> it in a rice cooker while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread,
> instant ramen and mashed potatoes in the cooker - also rice
> occasionally. :-)

You could buy a ricer and use it to rice the potatoes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_ricer

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 3:17*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
> On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>

> > I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
> > double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
> > a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
> > in the same appliance.

> I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
> panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
> room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
> can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
> while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
> potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

If the panini maker works like a George Foreman grill, you can cook
chicken breasts, hamburgers, etc. in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 4:41*pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

> > On 9/16/2012 9:23 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> >> I'm confused. *I see now that electric pressure cookers have a 'slow
> >> cooker' feature. *Why? *Isn't a pressure cooker simply another way of
> >> doing what a slow cooker does, only faster? *I've always had a
> >> pressure cooker, it was part of my life growing up. *I only tried once
> >> to use a slow cooker. *I really don't understand why one would want
> >> both. *Is there really a difference in results? *Is there anyone here
> >> who has/uses both?
> >> Janet US

> > The reason they exist is because it's cheap to make this appliance a
> > multi-function device. The slow cooker is for when you want to cook a dish
> > without paying it much attention. The pressure cooker is fast but you have
> > to be around to tend it.

> > Recently, I've been using my oven as a slow cooker by using temperatures
> > below 250 degrees. Putting stuff in the oven and forgetting about it has a
> > lot of appeal for me.

> Sometimes I imagine that my oven is a time machine for cooking food.
>
> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

When you cook like I do it is. It takes five minutes to put the rice
and chicken together. I plug it in and forty minutes later, I got
spicy curry chicken rice. I'm happy as a clam.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 6:55*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Sep 16, 3:17*pm, dsi1 > wrote:
>
> > On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> > > I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
> > > double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
> > > a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
> > > in the same appliance.

> > I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
> > panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
> > room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
> > can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
> > while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
> > potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

> If the panini maker works like a George Foreman grill, you can cook
> chicken breasts, hamburgers, etc. in it.

The idea is the same but the GF grill has serious design problems.
The hinge on the side does not accommodate thick foods and tends to
compress foods on one side. There's no temperature control on most
models and the plates don't get hot enough.

A good and useful panini maker will have large plates of sufficient
wattage and a temperature control. It will also have a floating plate
design with a hinge in the middle. I got my son a small George Foreman
grill. He uses it to cook chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:
-snip-

>The idea is the same but the GF grill has serious design problems.
>The hinge on the side does not accommodate thick foods and tends to
>compress foods on one side. There's no temperature control on most
>models and the plates don't get hot enough.

Just FWIW- GF makes many different models. Mine has temp control, a
flexible hinge, holds 2 lbs of pounded chicken breasts at a time, and
has waffle and ?cake? irons. It also tilts so the grease runs out
if you want it to-- but you can flatten it for waffles.
http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman...dp/B000A7W4Z2/

[the first one I bough was $50- the second was $20 at an estate
sale-- never been used]

>A good and useful panini maker will have large plates of sufficient
>wattage and a temperature control. It will also have a floating plate
>design with a hinge in the middle. I got my son a small George Foreman
>grill. He uses it to cook chicken.

I do chicken [mostly for the dog], waffles, 'panini's'. I probably
use it 2-3 times a week.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2012 4:51 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sep 16, 4:41 pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:

>>> The reason they exist is because it's cheap to make this appliance a
>>> multi-function device. The slow cooker is for when you want to cook a dish
>>> without paying it much attention. The pressure cooker is fast but you have
>>> to be around to tend it.

>>> Recently, I've been using my oven as a slow cooker by using temperatures
>>> below 250 degrees. Putting stuff in the oven and forgetting about it has a
>>> lot of appeal for me.

>> Sometimes I imagine that my oven is a time machine for cooking food.
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> When you cook like I do it is. It takes five minutes to put the rice
> and chicken together. I plug it in and forty minutes later, I got
> spicy curry chicken rice. I'm happy as a clam.

I assume you are using curry powder or paste? Since its a slow cooker
prep do you fry it first? I have tried but don't care for the taste when
curry powder is added as an ingredient and not cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 02:08:01 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sep 16, 6:55*pm, spamtrap1888 > wrote:

>> > I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
>> > panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
>> > room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
>> > can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
>> > while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
>> > potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

>> If the panini maker works like a George Foreman grill, you can cook
>> chicken breasts, hamburgers, etc. in it.

>The idea is the same but the GF grill has serious design problems.
>The hinge on the side does not accommodate thick foods and tends to
>compress foods on one side. There's no temperature control on most
>models and the plates don't get hot enough.
>
>A good and useful panini maker will have large plates of sufficient
>wattage and a temperature control. It will also have a floating plate
>design with a hinge in the middle. I got my son a small George Foreman
>grill. He uses it to cook chicken.

A George Foreman grill tends to steam cook food. Did you ever notice
that the grill lines on the food in the pictures do no go in the same
direction as the bars on the grill? They are branding them with a
special iron in the back room before they take the pictures.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:15:16 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:
snip

>Just FWIW- GF makes many different models. Mine has temp control, a
>flexible hinge, holds 2 lbs of pounded chicken breasts at a time, and
>has waffle and ?cake? irons. It also tilts so the grease runs out
>if you want it to-- but you can flatten it for waffles.
>http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman...dp/B000A7W4Z2/

snip

>Jim

Yeah, so does mine. I've tried for two years to give it away at
garage sales. This year it is scheduled for the Salvation Army.
It doesn't get hot enough no matter how long you pre-heat.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 16 Sep 2012 12:17:18 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>
>>On 9/16/2012 10:36 AM, spamtrap1888 wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
>>> double duty is a plus. My current slow cooker is a crockery liner for
>>> a cooker/deep fryer. So I made soups, stews, Buffalo wings, and fries,
>>> in the same appliance.
>>>

>>I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
>>panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
>>room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
>>can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
>>while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
>>potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

> I like all phases of cooking. I've never used my pressure cooker to
> prepare an entire meal. My pressure cooker is a tool used to help
> prepare -- cooking soup bones and meat for stock, cooking beans and
> beets, cooking stew meat after browning for a tender stew -- that kind
> of thing. I can't imagine throwing everything in a pot to cook
> without regard to different cooking times and browning and so forth.
> Janet US

Ditto!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:41:12 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:15:16 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>snip
>>
>>Just FWIW- GF makes many different models. Mine has temp control, a
>>flexible hinge, holds 2 lbs of pounded chicken breasts at a time, and
>>has waffle and ?cake? irons. It also tilts so the grease runs out
>>if you want it to-- but you can flatten it for waffles.
>>http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman...dp/B000A7W4Z2/

>snip
>

>>Jim

>Yeah, so does mine. I've tried for two years to give it away at
>garage sales. This year it is scheduled for the Salvation Army.
>It doesn't get hot enough no matter how long you pre-heat.

I think yours is broken, then. [or mine is] I never use more than
3/4 heat, and get grill marks on everything.

I never preheat. I pound 2lbs of chicken to 1/2"-3/4" thick. Set
just past 50% heat- cook 6min, flip, and do 6 more. A couple times
a week for several years.

Waffles are at 3/4 heat- and brown perfectly.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
> panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
> room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
> can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
> while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
> potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

As the rice cooker is really just a thermostat run heater is works fine
to steam cook almost anything. I've steam veggies in mine at times. it
would be a lot of work to figure out how to use it with other cooking
methods.

A few years I tralled for work. I'd take a rice cooker, a slow cooker
and an electric skillet. I could cook most stuff with those items.
Similar in concept to your list but better general purpose choices. A
real kitchen is easier but when you're there and that's what you've got
it does work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:27:09 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:41:12 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:15:16 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>>wrote:
>>snip
>>>
>>>Just FWIW- GF makes many different models. Mine has temp control, a
>>>flexible hinge, holds 2 lbs of pounded chicken breasts at a time, and
>>>has waffle and ?cake? irons. It also tilts so the grease runs out
>>>if you want it to-- but you can flatten it for waffles.
>>>http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman...dp/B000A7W4Z2/

>>snip
>>

>>>Jim

>>Yeah, so does mine. I've tried for two years to give it away at
>>garage sales. This year it is scheduled for the Salvation Army.
>>It doesn't get hot enough no matter how long you pre-heat.

>I think yours is broken, then. [or mine is] I never use more than
>3/4 heat, and get grill marks on everything.
>
>I never preheat. I pound 2lbs of chicken to 1/2"-3/4" thick. Set
>just past 50% heat- cook 6min, flip, and do 6 more. A couple times
>a week for several years.
>
>Waffles are at 3/4 heat- and brown perfectly.
>
>Jim

Mine was straight out of the box. I asked for one for Christmas
because several in this newsgroup said that they liked theirs. I was
not impressed.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:36:57 PM UTC-4, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does
>
> double duty is a plus.

Me too. But since I already have spent the money and have taken up the space, I am not tempted to get this 2 in 1 item. Besides, I am not convinced that multi-task items are as reliable as single use items. I think Sheldon has pontificated on this in the past, and he's prob. right.

Me, with the simple French press pot and NOT eyeing a Keurig with all its expensive pods. Cheee.......

Who saw Emeril pushing a pie maker last night? I bet some ordered it as next Xmas' -almost-useless gift.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 17, 1:17*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
>
> -snip-
>

> >The idea is the same but the GF grill has *serious design problems.
> >The hinge on the side does not accommodate thick foods and tends to
> >compress foods on one side. There's no temperature control on most
> >models and the plates don't get hot enough.

> Just FWIW- GF makes many different models. *Mine has temp control, a
> flexible hinge, holds 2 lbs of pounded chicken breasts at a time, and
> has waffle and ?cake? irons. * *It also tilts so the grease runs out
> if you want it to-- but you can flatten it for waffles.http://www.amazon.com/George-Foreman...ion-Removable/...
>
> [the first one I bough was $50- * *the second was $20 at an estate
> sale-- *never been used]
>

> >A good and useful panini maker will have large plates of sufficient
> >wattage and a temperature control. It will also have a floating plate
> >design with a hinge in the middle. I got my son a small George Foreman
> >grill. He uses it to cook chicken.

> I do chicken [mostly for the dog], waffles, 'panini's'. *I probably
> use it 2-3 times a week.
>
> Jim

The George Foreman grills that I've seen have a hinge that slides
about an inch or so. I never found that to be enough. The price is
also a problem. You could get a panini grill for about half the price.
Anyway I like grilling steaks on these things because they're fast and
you don't get grease all over the place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Sep 16, 4:41 pm, "Christopher M." > wrote:

>>> The reason they exist is because it's cheap to make this appliance a
>>> multi-function device. The slow cooker is for when you want to cook
>>> a dish without paying it much attention. The pressure cooker is
>>> fast but you have to be around to tend it.

>>> Recently, I've been using my oven as a slow cooker by using
>>> temperatures below 250 degrees. Putting stuff in the oven and
>>> forgetting about it has a lot of appeal for me.

>> Sometimes I imagine that my oven is a time machine for cooking food.
>>
>> W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

> When you cook like I do it is. It takes five minutes to put the rice
> and chicken together. I plug it in and forty minutes later, I got
> spicy curry chicken rice. I'm happy as a clam.

I used to make a tomato curry chicken. Very tasty recipe, but it needed
contant attention. I'd add an ingredient to the pan and then wait, stir, add
the next ingredient, etc.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default slow cooker/pressure cooker? Difference? Kalmia

I love french press coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2012 1:46 AM, Andy wrote:
> dsi1 > wrote:
>
>> When you cook like I do it is. It takes five minutes to put
>> the rice and chicken together. I plug it in and forty
>> minutes later, I got spicy curry chicken rice. I'm happy as
>> a clam.

> I like TJ's curried yellowfin tuna fish packet combined with
> TJ's precooked frozen brown rice (nukes in three minutes).
>
> I'm happy as a clam in 10 minutes and zero cleanup.
>
> Andy
> I'm not lazy. I'm an efficiency expert!

I'd eat that!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2012 3:36 AM, George wrote:

> I assume you are using curry powder or paste? Since its a slow cooker
> prep do you fry it first? I have tried but don't care for the taste when
> curry powder is added as an ingredient and not cooked.

Frying the onions and powder in butter is a good idea. That's not really
feasible if you're going to use a rice cooker. We thought the dish was
fine and I'll make it again. Next time I'll use some Japanese curry roux
instead of the powder. The roux comes in handy small blocks. I'll just
chop it up and and it to the ricepot. I can't say if it will work but my
guess is that it's going to be tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2012 3:38 AM, Janet Bostwick wrote:

> A George Foreman grill tends to steam cook food. Did you ever notice
> that the grill lines on the food in the pictures do no go in the same
> direction as the bars on the grill? They are branding them with a
> special iron in the back room before they take the pictures.
> Janet US

You are correct about this. The models that I've used never got hot
enough. The panini grill that I used to have didn't have that problem.
As it goes, I never made a panini on that thing once. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2012 5:31 AM, Doug Freyburger wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
>> panini maker, and a drip coffee maker. Something you could set up in a
>> room with 120V outlets. That would be a neat thing. I believe that you
>> can cook a whole chicken breast simply by dropping it in a rice cooker
>> while cooking the rice. I've made corn bread, instant ramen and mashed
>> potatoes in the cooker - also rice occasionally. :-)

> As the rice cooker is really just a thermostat run heater is works fine
> to steam cook almost anything. I've steam veggies in mine at times. it
> would be a lot of work to figure out how to use it with other cooking
> methods.

The rice cooker has a thermostat that shuts the unit off when the
temperature goes above the boiling point of water. You're right that
there is a learning curve with a device that controls temperature in
this way.

> A few years I tralled for work. I'd take a rice cooker, a slow cooker
> and an electric skillet. I could cook most stuff with those items.
> Similar in concept to your list but better general purpose choices. A
> real kitchen is easier but when you're there and that's what you've got
> it does work.

OTOH, it's probably representative of how most folks cook on this planet
i.e., the vast majority of kitchens don't have a 220V appliance or maybe
even electricity.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> double duty is a plus.

Also Howdy Doody's brother.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 17, 8:51*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:36:57 PM UTC-4, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> > I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does

> > double duty is a plus.

> Me too. *But since I already have spent the money and have taken up the space, I am not tempted to get this 2 in 1 item. *Besides, I am not convinced that multi-task items are as reliable as single use items. *I think Sheldon has pontificated on this in the past, and he's prob. right.
>
> Me, with the simple French press pot and NOT eyeing a Keurig with all its expensive pods. *Cheee.......

I tried K-cups ten years ago and was not impressed. They made some
sense in an office environment in which different people wanted
different coffee at different times, but not for home use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 17, 8:37*am, Janet Bostwick > wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 11:27:09 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>

> >On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:41:12 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> > wrote:

> >>On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 07:15:16 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> >>wrote:
> >>snip

> >>snip

> >>Yeah, so does mine. *I've tried for two years to give it away at
> >>garage sales. *This year it is scheduled for the Salvation Army.
> >>It doesn't get hot enough no matter how long you pre-heat.

> >I think yours is broken, then. [or mine is] * * I never use more than
> >3/4 heat, and get grill marks on everything.

> >I never preheat. * *I pound 2lbs of chicken to 1/2"-3/4" thick. * Set
> >just past 50% heat- cook 6min, flip, and do 6 more. * * A couple times
> >a week for several years.

> >Waffles are at 3/4 heat- and brown perfectly.

> >Jim

> Mine was straight out of the box. *I asked for one for Christmas
> because several in this newsgroup said that they liked theirs. *I was
> not impressed.

I agree yours sounds broken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 17, 2012 2:53:31 PM UTC-4, spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Sep 17, 8:51*am, Kalmia > wrote:
>
> > On Sunday, September 16, 2012 4:36:57 PM UTC-4, spamtrap1888 wrote:

> > > I'm against kitchen appliance proliferation, so anything that does

> > > double duty is a plus.

> > Me too. *But since I already have spent the money and have taken up the space, I am not tempted to get this 2 in 1 item. *Besides, I am not convinced that multi-task items are as reliable as single use items. *I think Sheldon has pontificated on this in the past, and he's prob. right.

> > Me, with the simple French press pot and NOT eyeing a Keurig with all its expensive pods. *Cheee.......

> I tried K-cups ten years ago and was not impressed. They made some
>
> sense in an office environment in which different people wanted
>
> different coffee at different times, but not for home use.

It seems to be THE wedding gift all the young brides want. I guess they're embarrassed if they don't own one and they serve their first married dindin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2012 1:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 9/17/2012 3:36 AM, George wrote:
>>
>> I assume you are using curry powder or paste? Since its a slow cooker
>> prep do you fry it first? I have tried but don't care for the taste when
>> curry powder is added as an ingredient and not cooked.

> Frying the onions and powder in butter is a good idea. That's not really
> feasible if you're going to use a rice cooker. We thought the dish was
> fine and I'll make it again. Next time I'll use some Japanese curry roux
> instead of the powder. The roux comes in handy small blocks. I'll just
> chop it up and and it to the ricepot. I can't say if it will work but my
> guess is that it's going to be tasty.

I think thats what kills a lot of the slow cooker dishes. If you need to
get multiple pans out to say brown stuff first you might as well just
make the dish.

I sometimes use Thai curry paste and it is pretty quick to make a one
pot meal such as this:

http://foodcomas.com/2010/06/21/thai...chicken-curry/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2012 10:58 AM, George wrote:
> On 9/17/2012 1:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 9/17/2012 3:36 AM, George wrote:
>>>
>>> I assume you are using curry powder or paste? Since its a slow cooker
>>> prep do you fry it first? I have tried but don't care for the taste when
>>> curry powder is added as an ingredient and not cooked.

>> Frying the onions and powder in butter is a good idea. That's not really
>> feasible if you're going to use a rice cooker. We thought the dish was
>> fine and I'll make it again. Next time I'll use some Japanese curry roux
>> instead of the powder. The roux comes in handy small blocks. I'll just
>> chop it up and and it to the ricepot. I can't say if it will work but my
>> guess is that it's going to be tasty.

> I think thats what kills a lot of the slow cooker dishes. If you need to
> get multiple pans out to say brown stuff first you might as well just
> make the dish.
>
> I sometimes use Thai curry paste and it is pretty quick to make a one
> pot meal such as this:
>
> http://foodcomas.com/2010/06/21/thai...chicken-curry/

I have a tub of green curry paste and that brown sugar. That really
looks tasty. Chicken wing curry? That great, although I'd probably make
chicken adobo with the wings. You can't make that dish in a rice cooker
but for some reason, I enjoy cooking up a batch of adobo. Damn I wish I
could have some right now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2012 12:24 PM, Andy wrote:
> The yellowfin comes in sealed packets in slim boxes. Green curry
> (mild) and red curry (hot but not very).
>
> TJ's strangely stores them on the shelf AND in the cooler
> shelves. Why? I dunno.
>
> Combined with the microwave brown rice it's enough for two
> people OR one man on a mission. ;-)
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

My favorite way to prepare tuna is to dredge it in black pepper and salt
and fry it at high temperatures until it's rare. Oddly enough, it's
tastes like beef, not fish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:37:25 -1000, dsi1
> wrote:

> My favorite way to prepare tuna is to dredge it in black pepper and salt
> and fry it at high temperatures until it's rare. Oddly enough, it's
> tastes like beef, not fish.

I wish I could afford to buy sushi grade tuna steaks more often. They
are too expensive to consider most of the time

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:37:25 -1000, dsi1
> > wrote:
>

> > My favorite way to prepare tuna is to dredge it in black pepper and salt
> > and fry it at high temperatures until it's rare. Oddly enough, it's
> > tastes like beef, not fish.

> I wish I could afford to buy sushi grade tuna steaks more often. They
> are too expensive to consider most of the time

And really good sushi grade tuna costs a fortune. I've only had fresh tuna
steaks once. My daughter when out fishing offshore with friends one day and
they caught some. She brought me some fresh-caught steaks and showed me how
to cook them. (Her boyfriend was a head chef at a good local restaurant).
It was basically press cracked pepper and kosher salt into both sides, pan
sear both sides, then cook very briefly....medium rare at the most.

And you mentioned crabs being "fresh-frozen" .... remember most sensitive
seafood is frozen right on the boats. Crab legs are always frozen
immediately at the factory (and only from live crabs). Tuna is always frozen
right on the boat immediately after being caught (and that includes the
highest quality of tuna for sushi grade).

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote:

>I've been trying to figure out how to prepare meals using a rice cooker,
>panini maker, and a drip coffee maker.

Why not a hot plate, a toaster oven, and a microwave? Why these three?

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:48:26 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 17 Sep 2012 12:37:25 -1000, dsi1
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > My favorite way to prepare tuna is to dredge it in black pepper and salt
> > > and fry it at high temperatures until it's rare. Oddly enough, it's
> > > tastes like beef, not fish.

> > I wish I could afford to buy sushi grade tuna steaks more often. They
> > are too expensive to consider most of the time

> And really good sushi grade tuna costs a fortune. I've only had fresh tuna
> steaks once. My daughter when out fishing offshore with friends one day and
> they caught some. She brought me some fresh-caught steaks and showed me how
> to cook them. (Her boyfriend was a head chef at a good local restaurant).
> It was basically press cracked pepper and kosher salt into both sides, pan
> sear both sides, then cook very briefly....medium rare at the most.
>
> And you mentioned crabs being "fresh-frozen" .... remember most sensitive
> seafood is frozen right on the boats. Crab legs are always frozen
> immediately at the factory (and only from live crabs). Tuna is always frozen
> right on the boat immediately after being caught (and that includes the
> highest quality of tuna for sushi grade).

I think they freeze fish like tuna to kill parasites and it's a flash
freeze, like they do with vegetables. I don't eat prefrozen crab legs
(tried them once and thought they were horrible). I only eat crabs
that I've know were live when they went into the pot (which I usually
do myself). If they weren't cooked at the restaurant or retailer,
then I don't want any.