Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Texas Caviar

I've always wanted to try this but never made it because nobody else in the
house likes black eyed peas. Well... They had some made up in the
refrigerated section of Costco today. Looked to be a reasonable amount...as
in not a totally huge container. So I bought some. Haven't tied it yet.
But intend to eat some later along with the steamed beets that I also
bought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote:

>I've always wanted to try this but never made it because nobody else in the
>house likes black eyed peas. Well... They had some made up in the
>refrigerated section of Costco today. Looked to be a reasonable amount...as
>in not a totally huge container. So I bought some. Haven't tied it yet.
>But intend to eat some later along with the steamed beets that I also
>bought.

Wouldn't it make more sense to prepare your own black eyed peas
seasoned to your own taste... you can buy a can of black eyed peas for
like a buck... I bet that tiny costco tub costs a gourmet price. I'd
have read the ingredients list on the tub, checked a few recipes on
line, and went at it with what I researched as a guide. There are
tons of recipes, this one looks easy:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-ever-texas-caviar/

And what is so gourmet about steamed beets, steaming is probably the
worst way to cook beets, all the good beet flavor gets steamed out
(Barb would love that), you'd be better off with ordinary canned
beets. If you want gourmet beets you need to roast them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1>
wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> >
> >I've always wanted to try this but never made it because nobody else in the
> >house likes black eyed peas. Well... They had some made up in the
> >refrigerated section of Costco today. Looked to be a reasonable amount...as
> >in not a totally huge container. So I bought some. Haven't tied it yet.
> >But intend to eat some later along with the steamed beets that I also
> >bought.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to prepare your own black eyed peas
> seasoned to your own taste... you can buy a can of black eyed peas for
> like a buck... I bet that tiny costco tub costs a gourmet price. I'd
> have read the ingredients list on the tub, checked a few recipes on
> line, and went at it with what I researched as a guide. There are
> tons of recipes, this one looks easy:
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-ever-texas-caviar/
>
> And what is so gourmet about steamed beets, steaming is probably the
> worst way to cook beets, all the good beet flavor gets steamed out
> (Barb would love that), you'd be better off with ordinary canned
> beets. If you want gourmet beets you need to roast them.

Julie cook and mess up her kitchen? LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>>
>>I've always wanted to try this but never made it because nobody else in
>>the
>>house likes black eyed peas. Well... They had some made up in the
>>refrigerated section of Costco today. Looked to be a reasonable
>>amount...as
>>in not a totally huge container. So I bought some. Haven't tied it yet.
>>But intend to eat some later along with the steamed beets that I also
>>bought.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to prepare your own black eyed peas
> seasoned to your own taste... you can buy a can of black eyed peas for
> like a buck... I bet that tiny costco tub costs a gourmet price. I'd
> have read the ingredients list on the tub, checked a few recipes on
> line, and went at it with what I researched as a guide. There are
> tons of recipes, this one looks easy:
> http://allrecipes.com/recipe/best-ever-texas-caviar/

I don't know that I could get black eyed peas for a buck here. They are
somewhat hard to find. They're not a popular item here. I think I paid
about $5 for the stuff at Costco. It's good but a bit heavy on the lemon
flavor. Not really sure what it is supposed to taste like though.

> And what is so gourmet about steamed beets, steaming is probably the
> worst way to cook beets, all the good beet flavor gets steamed out
> (Barb would love that), you'd be better off with ordinary canned
> beets. If you want gourmet beets you need to roast them.

There's nothing gourmet about them but they are very good. I have roasted
many beets. It's a pain to do them that way and to me the end result is no
better than canned, IMO.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> "Julie Bove" wrote:
> >
> >I've always wanted to try this but never made it because nobody else in the
> >house likes black eyed peas. Well... They had some made up in the
> >refrigerated section of Costco today. Looked to be a reasonable amount...as
> >in not a totally huge container. So I bought some. Haven't tied it yet.

> Wouldn't it make more sense to prepare your own black eyed peas
> seasoned to your own taste...

I was going to say the same thing too, Julie. You bought prepared TC and
that's ok just to get an idea of the taste. As I'm sure you know though,
making it yourself will probably be much better and you'll have complete
control of the ingredients.

I too looked up a few recipes. If the prepared stuff you bought has
potential (for your taste), try making it yourself next time. It seems
simple enough to make.

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote:
>> >
>> >I've always wanted to try this but never made it because nobody else in
>> >the
>> >house likes black eyed peas. Well... They had some made up in the
>> >refrigerated section of Costco today. Looked to be a reasonable
>> >amount...as
>> >in not a totally huge container. So I bought some. Haven't tied it yet.

>> Wouldn't it make more sense to prepare your own black eyed peas
>> seasoned to your own taste...

> I was going to say the same thing too, Julie. You bought prepared TC and
> that's ok just to get an idea of the taste. As I'm sure you know though,
> making it yourself will probably be much better and you'll have complete
> control of the ingredients.

No. I doubt that I will ever make the stuff. It's okay. Not something I
think I would ever want to buy or even eat again. Not even sure I will
finish what I bought.

> I too looked up a few recipes. If the prepared stuff you bought has
> potential (for your taste), try making it yourself next time. It seems
> simple enough to make.

I'm fine with plain black eyed peas. If I made this stuff I would have sooo
much of it and nobody else would eat it. I'm fine to eat the same thing
over and over again when it comes to some things. But this stuff? I
wouldn't want to eat it every day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I'm fine with plain black eyed peas. If I made this stuff I would have sooo
> much of it and nobody else would eat it. I'm fine to eat the same thing
> over and over again when it comes to some things. But this stuff? I
> wouldn't want to eat it every day.

Since your family might not like to eat what you like, treat YOUR favorite
food like me and cook the things you like just for you.

If it's something that you like, make a big batch and freeze it in
meal-sized portions for you only. That way you don't have to eat it
everyday.

Most of these things will last for months in your freezer. That's what I do
for myself.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 06:12:40 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> I was going to say the same thing too, Julie. You bought prepared TC and
> that's ok just to get an idea of the taste. As I'm sure you know though,
> making it yourself will probably be much better and you'll have complete
> control of the ingredients.
>
> I too looked up a few recipes. If the prepared stuff you bought has
> potential (for your taste), try making it yourself next time. It seems
> simple enough to make.

I've never eaten Texas caviar, but I think I'd like it because I love
black eyed peas. Some things are dead easy to make yourself, but why
bother - fresh salsa and hummus are two that come to mind. I've found
commercial products I like a lot, so my attitude has been "why make it
when you can buy something you like already prepared".

How do you eat TC anyway - with tortilla chips?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 04:01:50 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Wouldn't it make more sense to prepare your own black eyed peas
>>> seasoned to your own taste...

>> I was going to say the same thing too, Julie. You bought prepared TC and
>> that's ok just to get an idea of the taste. As I'm sure you know though,
>> making it yourself will probably be much better and you'll have complete
>> control of the ingredients.
>>

>No. I doubt that I will ever make the stuff. It's okay. Not something I
>think I would ever want to buy or even eat again. Not even sure I will
>finish what I bought.
>
>> I too looked up a few recipes. If the prepared stuff you bought has
>> potential (for your taste), try making it yourself next time. It seems
>> simple enough to make.

>I'm fine with plain black eyed peas. If I made this stuff I would have sooo
>much of it and nobody else would eat it. I'm fine to eat the same thing
>over and over again when it comes to some things. But this stuff? I
>wouldn't want to eat it every day.

Texas Caviar (as I've now learned) is really just a very ordinary
marinated bean salad... Texans are obviously not very imaginative
cooks, they think adding hot peppers to any bowl of shit makes it
gourmet shit... I make all different combos of marinated bean salad
often, about the easiest dishes to prepare (no cooking), can keep in
the fridge for at least two weeks... and you can use up extras fast, a
grand dressing for tossed garden salads, makes for a fine pasta salad,
I use marinated garbanzos in Greek salads because I hate fehta. And
I've never yet not seen canned black eyed peas in with the other
canned beans (typically about a buck in the now 15 oz pound cans but a
lot lower cost in larger cans), several brands, plain and seasoned...
black eyed peas are one of the more popular canned beans... where do
you grocery shop, at Dollar General?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Texas Caviar (as I've now learned)

Yeah...i had to look up the recipe too.

> is really just a very ordinary
> marinated bean salad... Texans are obviously not very imaginative
> cooks, they think adding hot peppers to any bowl of shit makes it
> gourmet shit...

LOL! Are you talking about the famous Bobby Flay...and Steve? Add hot
peppers to all your food. heheheh

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 8, 3:07*am, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I've always wanted to try this but never made it because nobody else in the
> house likes black eyed peas. *Well... *They had some made up in the
> refrigerated section of Costco today. *Looked to be a reasonable amount....as
> in not a totally huge container. *So I bought some. Haven't tied it yet..
> But intend to eat some later along with the steamed beets that I also
> bought.

My aunt has a recipe for it. It's not bad stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Texas Caviar (as I've now learned)

Yeah...i had to look up the recipe too.

> is really just a very ordinary
> marinated bean salad... Texans are obviously not very imaginative
> cooks, they think adding hot peppers to any bowl of shit makes it
> gourmet shit...

LOL! Are you talking about the famous Bobby Flay...and Steve? Add hot
peppers to all your food. heheheh

G.

I have never understood the "hotter the better" mentality. I *do* enjoy
spicy food. Cayenne pepper and red pepper sauce are staples in my home, but
are used judiciously. Please don't pile on the hot peppers just because you
can!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:08:07 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Texas Caviar (as I've now learned)

>Yeah...i had to look up the recipe too.
>
>> is really just a very ordinary
>> marinated bean salad... Texans are obviously not very imaginative
>> cooks, they think adding hot peppers to any bowl of shit makes it
>> gourmet shit...

>LOL! Are you talking about the famous Bobby Flay...and Steve? Add hot
>peppers to all your food. heheheh

That burn as it slides out their rectum is a Texas orgasm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 9 Sep 2012 11:42:33 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> Texas Caviar (as I've now learned)

>Yeah...i had to look up the recipe too.
>
>> is really just a very ordinary
>> marinated bean salad... Texans are obviously not very imaginative
>> cooks, they think adding hot peppers to any bowl of shit makes it
>> gourmet shit...

>LOL! Are you talking about the famous Bobby Flay...and Steve? Add hot
>peppers to all your food. heheheh
>

>G.
>

>I have never understood the "hotter the better" mentality. I *do* enjoy
>spicy food. Cayenne pepper and red pepper sauce are staples in my home, but
>are used judiciously. Please don't pile on the hot peppers just because you
>can!
>
>Jill

Lots of heat is the best way to hide lousy cooking... to those TIADers
it tastes the same going down as coming out. LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I'm fine with plain black eyed peas. If I made this stuff I would have
>> sooo
>> much of it and nobody else would eat it. I'm fine to eat the same thing
>> over and over again when it comes to some things. But this stuff? I
>> wouldn't want to eat it every day.

> Since your family might not like to eat what you like, treat YOUR favorite
> food like me and cook the things you like just for you.
>
> If it's something that you like, make a big batch and freeze it in
> meal-sized portions for you only. That way you don't have to eat it
> everyday.
>
> Most of these things will last for months in your freezer. That's what I
> do
> for myself.

I don't like to eat most food once it has been frozen. And I don't think
Texas caviar would freeze well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 09 Sep 2012 06:12:40 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> I was going to say the same thing too, Julie. You bought prepared TC and
>> that's ok just to get an idea of the taste. As I'm sure you know though,
>> making it yourself will probably be much better and you'll have complete
>> control of the ingredients.
>>
>> I too looked up a few recipes. If the prepared stuff you bought has
>> potential (for your taste), try making it yourself next time. It seems
>> simple enough to make.
>>

> I've never eaten Texas caviar, but I think I'd like it because I love
> black eyed peas. Some things are dead easy to make yourself, but why
> bother - fresh salsa and hummus are two that come to mind. I've found
> commercial products I like a lot, so my attitude has been "why make it
> when you can buy something you like already prepared".
>
> How do you eat TC anyway - with tortilla chips?

I buy hummus. It's usually fine. Some brands I don't like so well. I just
have never found a fresh salsa that I do like. They all seem to have an odd
taste and texture to them.

What I bought is called Texas Caviar salad. It has a lot of vegetables in
it. I just ate it with a fork.

Corn Cakes With Texas "Caviar" Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 11-09-2007 01:17 AM
Buy caviar [email protected] General Cooking 0 17-04-2007 07:19 PM
Texas Caviar Pete Romfh Diabetic 6 01-01-2006 11:24 PM
Caviar Joslin Home Joslin Home Wine 0 05-12-2005 11:34 PM
Aubergine Caviar (Poor Man's Caviar) [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 05-11-2004 02:18 PM