Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What mandolines slice 1/2 inches or larger?

I want a mandoline that will slice very thin, but will also slice 1/2 inches or larger. I like to grill vegetables and like thicker slices for this. It is alot easier if all slices are the same thickness. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

mark, that is very cool!!! Thanks for the help!! I will have to search it out and try to find one. BJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 5:12*am, wrote:
> I want a mandoline that will slice very thin, but will also slice 1/2 inches or larger. *I like to grill vegetables and like thicker slices for this. *It is alot easier if all slices are the same thickness. *Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Your best bet is to teach yourself how to use a knife. The skills
will stay for ever.

http://www.richardfisher.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I have the 4 star Henckels, and use them all the time. I just want to be more precise in thickness. When grilling it does make a difference. Thanks!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 8:50*am, wrote:
> I have the 4 star Henckels, and use them all the time. *I just want to be more precise in thickness. *When grilling it does make a difference. Thanks!!

If you're slicing 1/4 inch or larger you should be able to learn to
use a knife. At that thickness small errors will not effect
grilling. A knife is also very easy (and safe) to clean.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'll practice, practice, practice!!!! Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 9:29*am, wrote:
> I'll practice, practice, practice!!!! *Thanks!

If you are not familiar with the "correct" way to use a knife either
do a web search or take a lesson. It makes a lot of difference to
speed, safety and consistency.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 5:12*am, wrote:
> I want a mandoline that will slice very thin, but will also slice 1/2 inches or larger. *I like to grill vegetables and like thicker slices for this. *It is alot easier if all slices are the same thickness. *Any help is greatly appreciated!!

We (and Julia Child) use a Feemster. Be careful not to hit the blade
with your fingertips.

http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-Feem.../dp/B00012KBEW

The comments say it has changed for the worse. You might have to buy
one from a thrift store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/12 5:58 PM, sf wrote:

>> I want a mandoline that will slice very thin, but will also slice 1/2 inches or larger. I like to grill vegetables and like thicker slices for this. It is alot easier if all slices are the same thickness. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

> What you need is a sharp knife and lots of practice.

You might need lots of practice to create consistent 1/16-inch slices,
but if you can't cut even 1/2-inch slices, you shouldn't be allowed
anywhere near anything sharp, IMO.

And for grilling, the difference in cooking consistency between 7-16 and
9-16 thickness is undoubtedly less significant than the temperature
differences across your grilling surface.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 19:29:58 -0400, pltrgyst >
wrote:

> On 9/6/12 5:58 PM, sf wrote:
>
> >> I want a mandoline that will slice very thin, but will also slice 1/2 inches or larger. I like to grill vegetables and like thicker slices for this. It is alot easier if all slices are the same thickness. Any help is greatly appreciated!!

> > What you need is a sharp knife and lots of practice.

> You might need lots of practice to create consistent 1/16-inch slices,
> but if you can't cut even 1/2-inch slices, you shouldn't be allowed
> anywhere near anything sharp, IMO.

It's utterly ridiculous to think you'd need a mandoline for cutting
1/2 inch slices. Some people are bad at eyeballing length, but they
get better with experience (aka: practice). To train your eye, use a
ruler for god sake.

> And for grilling, the difference in cooking consistency between 7-16 and
> 9-16 thickness is undoubtedly less significant than the temperature
> differences across your grilling surface.

Agreed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 7, 7:05*am, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Sep 2012 19:29:58 -0400, pltrgyst >
> wrote:

> > You might need lots of practice to create consistent 1/16-inch slices,
> > but if you can't cut even 1/2-inch slices, you shouldn't be allowed
> > anywhere near anything sharp, IMO.

> It's utterly ridiculous to think you'd need a mandoline for cutting
> 1/2 inch slices. *Some people are bad at eyeballing length, but they
> get better with experience (aka: practice). *To train your eye, use a
> ruler for god sake.

Or if they can't or don't want to learn, the Feemster will slice from
1/8 to 1/2 inch, by increments.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/Kitchen...cer___ 622900
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 8:12*am, wrote:
> I want a mandoline that will slice very thin, but will also slice 1/2 inches or larger. *I like to grill vegetables and like thicker slices for this. *It is alot easier if all slices are the same thickness. *Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Lay your hands on Feemster's slicer. Cheap and very adjustable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 6, 7:12*am, wrote:
> I want a mandoline that will slice very thin, but will also slice 1/2 inches or larger. *I like to grill vegetables and like thicker slices for this. *It is alot easier if all slices are the same thickness. *Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Oh fer Chrissakes you can't just take a knife and hack off some 1/2
inch or longer slices by hand? Are you Stevie Wonder?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 23:31:48 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick
> wrote:

>On Sep 6, 7:12*am, wrote:
>> I want a mandoline that will slice very thin, but will also slice 1/2 inches or larger. *I like to grill vegetables and like thicker slices for this. *It is alot easier if all slices are the same thickness. *Any help is greatly appreciated!!

>Oh fer Chrissakes you can't just take a knife and hack off some 1/2
>inch or longer slices by hand? Are you Stevie Wonder?

Even Stevie could make those cuts with this
<http://www.maxiaids.com/products/9373/Reizen-Pro-Knife-with-Slicing-Guide.html?utm_source=Froogle&utm_medium=organic&u tm_campaign=Froogle&idAff=15225&gclid=CI2h_qiBprIC FQjc4AodY2AAwA>

<http://www.swissknifeshop.com/victorinox-8-25-precise-slice-right-hand-slicing-knife-with-guide?utm_medium=shoppingengine&utm_source=googleb ase&gclid=CJCrptKBprICFQjc4AodY2AAwA>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2012 23:31:48 -0700 (PDT), projectile vomit chick

>>Oh fer Chrissakes you can't just take a knife and hack off some 1/2
>>inch or longer slices by hand? Are you Stevie Wonder?

If he is, he's gonna be "Stubby" Stevie in no time.

nb

--
Definition of objectivism:
"Eff you! I got mine."

OT - 26.5 Inches Here grossbea General Cooking 21 09-02-2010 04:36 PM
OK, what about mandolines? Sky Cooking Equipment 15 01-09-2009 05:04 AM
OK, what about mandolines? Sky General Cooking 1 31-08-2009 11:27 PM
mandolines inky dink Cooking Equipment 5 25-04-2008 05:58 PM
Mandolines / MIU anon General Cooking 9 08-03-2007 11:26 PM