FoodBanter.com

-   -   Foods that can get you drunk? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/419650-foods-can-get-you.html)

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 04-09-2012 04:43 AM

Foods that can get you drunk?

Looking for foods that can contain a large amount of alcohol. Not alcohol that
gets cooked off. I'm thinking along the line of jello shots and rum cake. For
various and sundry reasons I'm trying to defeat a senseless ban on "alcoholic
beverages" that the authorities think are causing problems. It probably is, but
it's still fun to tweak the authorities

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 04-09-2012 05:36 AM

Foods that can get you drunk?

In article >, Sqwertz >
wrote:

> On Mon, 03 Sep 2012 20:43:20 -0700, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>
> > Looking for foods that can contain a large amount of alcohol. Not alcohol
> > that
> > gets cooked off. I'm thinking along the line of jello shots and rum cake.
> > For
> > various and sundry reasons I'm trying to defeat a senseless ban on
> > "alcoholic
> > beverages" that the authorities think are causing problems. It probably is,
> > but
> > it's still fun to tweak the authorities

> Just have somebody hit you moderately hard in the head with a baseball
> bat. Fat free, calorie free, sodium free, and ... well... free.
>
> -sw

Yes, and the rubbing alcohol could be vodka. Brilliant

ViLco 04-09-2012 08:12 AM

Foods that can get you drunk?

Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:

> Looking for foods that can contain a large amount of alcohol. Not
> alcohol that gets cooked off. I'm thinking along the line of jello
> shots and rum cake. For various and sundry reasons I'm trying to
> defeat a senseless ban on "alcoholic beverages" that the authorities
> think are causing problems. It probably is, but it's still fun to
> tweak the authorities

Rhum & chocolate pralines are usually bery bland in alcohol, but who knows?
Maybe there's some brand out there selling something strong...

spamtrap1888 04-09-2012 09:48 AM

Foods that can get you drunk?

On Sep 4, 12:12*am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
> > Looking for foods that can contain a large amount of alcohol. Not
> > alcohol that gets cooked off. I'm thinking along the line of jello
> > shots and rum cake. For various and sundry reasons I'm trying to
> > defeat a senseless ban on "alcoholic beverages" that the authorities
> > think are causing problems. It probably is, but it's still fun to
> > tweak the authorities

> Rhum & chocolate pralines are usually bery bland in alcohol, but who knows?
> Maybe there's some brand out there selling something strong...

These are maybe 1/8th of a shot:

http://www.amazon.com/Asbach-Praline.../dp/B004LKBHMU

ViLco 04-09-2012 10:02 AM

Foods that can get you drunk?

spamtrap1888 wrote:

>> Rhum & chocolate pralines are usually bery bland in alcohol, but who
>> knows? Maybe there's some brand out there selling something strong...

> These are maybe 1/8th of a shot:

What couldn't you understand in the line "Rhum & chocolate pralines are
usually bery bland in alcohol" ?
And in the phrase "Maybe there's some brand out there selling something
strong..." ?
Maybe I missed or misused some words...

Brooklyn1 04-09-2012 04:23 PM

Foods that can get you drunk?

On Tue, 4 Sep 2012 09:12:21 +0200, "ViLco" > wrote:

>Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>
>> Looking for foods that can contain a large amount of alcohol. Not
>> alcohol that gets cooked off. I'm thinking along the line of jello
>> shots and rum cake. For various and sundry reasons I'm trying to
>> defeat a senseless ban on "alcoholic beverages" that the authorities
>> think are causing problems. It probably is, but it's still fun to
>> tweak the authorities

>Rhum & chocolate pralines are usually bery bland in alcohol, but who knows?
>Maybe there's some brand out there selling something strong...

All over Italy there were street venders that sold packages of liquor
filled hard candies, maybe six types of real booze (not diluted),
could get a buzz on eating them. I don't know if they still sell
them... they looked like a package of "Charms" hard candy, each
individually wrapped and packaged in a stack exactly like Charms, only
these were potent. The trick was to suck on them until the booze
seeped out but I used to bite them and spit out the candy. They were
only a few Lira each. I bought up lots and brought them back to the
US for gifts. I've never seen anything like them in the US.

George Leppla 04-09-2012 04:42 PM

Foods that can get you drunk?

On 9/4/2012 10:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> All over Italy there were street venders that sold packages of liquor
> filled hard candies, maybe six types of real booze (not diluted),
> could get a buzz on eating them. I don't know if they still sell
> them... they looked like a package of "Charms" hard candy, each
> individually wrapped and packaged in a stack exactly like Charms, only
> these were potent. The trick was to suck on them until the booze
> seeped out but I used to bite them and spit out the candy. They were
> only a few Lira each. I bought up lots and brought them back to the
> US for gifts. I've never seen anything like them in the US.

Not hard candy, but if you are ever in Las Vegas, go to Ethyl M's
Chocolate Factory. Buy these:

http://www.ethelm.com/shop/ProductDe...category_Id=48

Thank me later.

George L

spamtrap1888 04-09-2012 07:36 PM

Foods that can get you drunk?

On Sep 4, 2:02*am, "ViLco" > wrote:
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
> >> Rhum & chocolate pralines are usually bery bland in alcohol, but who
> >> knows? Maybe there's some brand out there selling something strong...

> > These are maybe 1/8th of a shot:

> What couldn't you understand in the line "Rhum & chocolate pralines are
> usually bery bland in alcohol" ?
> And in the phrase "Maybe there's some brand out there selling something
> strong..." ?
> Maybe I missed or misused some words...

ViLco, realize that although this is rfc, not every response is meant
to be antagonistic. Some will agree with your point, while others are
neutral. Mine was informational only.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 04-09-2012 09:09 PM

Foods that can get you drunk?

In article >, "Randy Johnson" >
wrote:

> On 3-Sep-2012, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" >
> wrote:
>
> > For
> > various and sundry reasons I'm trying to defeat a senseless ban on
> > "alcoholic
> > beverages" that the authorities think are causing problems.

> Seems like AA is called for when you have to sneak booze into places it's
> banned.
> http://aa.org

AA is only called for when people have a problem with liquor not where they
drink it

merryb 04-09-2012 09:42 PM

Foods that can get you drunk?

On Sep 3, 8:43*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> wrote:
> Looking for foods that can contain a large amount of alcohol. Not alcohol that
> gets cooked off. I'm thinking along the line of jello shots and rum cake. For
> various and sundry reasons I'm trying to defeat a senseless ban on "alcoholic
> beverages" that the authorities think are causing problems. It probably is, but
> it's still fun to tweak the authorities

Someone here had posted a recipe(if that's what you wanna call it!)
for drunken gummy bears- basically GBs covered with vodka for a few
days. I had a big bag from Costco, so I tried it. Wow- those packed a
punch! Also, when I worked in bakeries, one of the things we made with
cake scraps was rum balls. A bit of frosting, some apricot jam and the
scraps all mixed together with the amount of rum needed to hold them
together.

Brooklyn1 04-09-2012 10:05 PM

Foods that can get you drunk?

On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 10:42:21 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

>On 9/4/2012 10:23 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> All over Italy there were street venders that sold packages of liquor
>> filled hard candies, maybe six types of real booze (not diluted),
>> could get a buzz on eating them. I don't know if they still sell
>> them... they looked like a package of "Charms" hard candy, each
>> individually wrapped and packaged in a stack exactly like Charms, only
>> these were potent. The trick was to suck on them until the booze
>> seeped out but I used to bite them and spit out the candy. They were
>> only a few Lira each. I bought up lots and brought them back to the
>> US for gifts. I've never seen anything like them in the US.

>Not hard candy, but if you are ever in Las Vegas, go to Ethyl M's
>Chocolate Factory. Buy these:
>
>http://www.ethelm.com/shop/ProductDe...category_Id=48
>
>Thank me later.

I'm sure they're good bon bons but for $16 I can buy a 1.75L bottle of
Crystal Palace and a pound of Hershy's kisses... after two stiff
drinks the chocolate may as well be Reese's Pieces.

Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds 04-09-2012 11:38 PM

Foods that can get you drunk?

In article >,
merryb > wrote:

> On Sep 3, 8:43*pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
> > wrote:
> > Looking for foods that can contain a large amount of alcohol. Not alcohol
> > that
> > gets cooked off. I'm thinking along the line of jello shots and rum cake.
> > For
> > various and sundry reasons I'm trying to defeat a senseless ban on
> > "alcoholic
> > beverages" that the authorities think are causing problems. It probably is,
> > but
> > it's still fun to tweak the authorities

> Someone here had posted a recipe(if that's what you wanna call it!)
> for drunken gummy bears- basically GBs covered with vodka for a few
> days. I had a big bag from Costco, so I tried it. Wow- those packed a
> punch! Also, when I worked in bakeries, one of the things we made with
> cake scraps was rum balls. A bit of frosting, some apricot jam and the
> scraps all mixed together with the amount of rum needed to hold them
> together.

thanks

Tara 05-09-2012 01:16 AM

Foods that can get you drunk?

Strawberries Romanoff
grape tomatoes marinated in pepper vodka
spiked watermelon

gregz 05-09-2012 02:08 AM

Foods that can get you drunk?

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" > wrote:
> In article >,
> merryb > wrote:
>
>> On Sep 3, 8:43 pm, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" <atlas-
>> > wrote:
>>> Looking for foods that can contain a large amount of alcohol. Not alcohol
>>> that
>>> gets cooked off. I'm thinking along the line of jello shots and rum cake.
>>> For
>>> various and sundry reasons I'm trying to defeat a senseless ban on
>>> "alcoholic
>>> beverages" that the authorities think are causing problems. It probably is,
>>> but
>>> it's still fun to tweak the authorities

>> Someone here had posted a recipe(if that's what you wanna call it!)
>> for drunken gummy bears- basically GBs covered with vodka for a few
>> days. I had a big bag from Costco, so I tried it. Wow- those packed a
>> punch! Also, when I worked in bakeries, one of the things we made with
>> cake scraps was rum balls. A bit of frosting, some apricot jam and the
>> scraps all mixed together with the amount of rum needed to hold them
>> together.

> thanks

You can make worms out of jello shot recipe using straws.

Greg

ViLco 05-09-2012 10:55 AM

Foods that can get you drunk?

spamtrap1888 wrote:

>> What couldn't you understand in the line "Rhum & chocolate pralines
>> are usually bery bland in alcohol" ?
>> And in the phrase "Maybe there's some brand out there selling
>> something strong..." ?
>> Maybe I missed or misused some words...

> ViLco, realize that although this is rfc, not every response is meant
> to be antagonistic. Some will agree with your point, while others are
> neutral. Mine was informational only.

Ok, thanks