Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Wor Shu [pressed] Duck

so we're talking about duck tonight and I say I've cooked it a few
times, and eaten it in restaurants a few times-- and I've never wanted
to try it again

And my wife remembers something that 'sounds like wa suh duck' that
she had and she like it.

I think this is it-
http://www.mangerati.com/steamed-dee...d-pressed-duck

Aside from deboning a hot duck so it retains its shape, it looks
pretty simple-- and might remove enough of the duck flavor and
texture for me to enjoy it.

I'm not having any youtube luck-- all the deboning videos I see cut
the duck, and I'm thinking that after a couple hours of steaming the
bones should come out through the cavity.

Any advice? I wonder if I can [or dare to] buy a steamed and
de-boned duck from the Asian market?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:03:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>so we're talking about duck tonight and I say I've cooked it a few
>times, and eaten it in restaurants a few times-- and I've never wanted
>to try it again
>
>And my wife remembers something that 'sounds like wa suh duck' that
>she had and she like it.
>
>I think this is it-
>http://www.mangerati.com/steamed-dee...d-pressed-duck
>
>Aside from deboning a hot duck so it retains its shape, it looks
>pretty simple-- and might remove enough of the duck flavor and
>texture for me to enjoy it.
>
>I'm not having any youtube luck-- all the deboning videos I see cut
>the duck, and I'm thinking that after a couple hours of steaming the
>bones should come out through the cavity.
>
>Any advice? I wonder if I can [or dare to] buy a steamed and
>de-boned duck from the Asian market?
>
>Jim

Wor shu op is what I have seen it called.

Not all recipes call for keeping the duck whole, although that makes
for great presentation. I have no advice on how to do that, sadly.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 31, 2012 6:58:45 PM UTC-5, John John wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:03:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>
> wrote:
>

> >so we're talking about duck tonight and I say I've cooked it a few

> >times, and eaten it in restaurants a few times-- and I've never wanted

> >to try it again

> >And my wife remembers something that 'sounds like wa suh duck' that

> >she had and she like it.

> >I think this is it-

> >http://www.mangerati.com/steamed-dee...d-pressed-duck

> >Aside from deboning a hot duck so it retains its shape, it looks

> >pretty simple-- and might remove enough of the duck flavor and

> >texture for me to enjoy it.

> If you don't want the duck flavor and texture, don't buy a duck, buy a
>
> chicken.

Mmmm. I made fried chicken tonight with real flour on it. Cooked carrots too. It was a veritable carb orgy.

> Or a lettuce.

Really. Sometimes people want to like something, or want to think of themselves as the type of person who would like a particular thing. My favorite way to eat duck is duck wings from the Chinese take-out joint.

> John

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 5:47*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Friday, August 31, 2012 6:58:45 PM UTC-5, John John wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:03:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >

> > wrote:

> > >so we're talking about duck tonight and I say I've cooked it a few

> > >times, and eaten it in restaurants a few times-- and I've never wanted

> > >to try it again

> > >And my wife remembers something that 'sounds like wa suh duck' that

> > >she had and she like it.

> > >I think this is it-

> > >http://www.mangerati.com/steamed-dee...d-pressed-duck

> > >Aside from deboning a hot duck so it retains its shape, it looks

> > >pretty simple-- *and might remove enough of the duck flavor and

> > >texture for me to enjoy it.

> > If you don't want the duck flavor and texture, don't buy a duck, buy a

> > chicken.

> Mmmm. *I made fried chicken tonight with real flour on it. *Cooked carrots too. *It was a veritable carb orgy.
>
> > Or a lettuce.

> Really. *Sometimes people want to like something, or want to think of themselves as the type of person who would like a particular thing. *My favorite way to eat duck is duck wings from the Chinese take-out joint.

I love the reddish lacquered look of a Chinese BBQ duck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/31/2012 8:47 PM, Bryan wrote:

> Mmmm. I made fried chicken tonight with real flour on it. Cooked carrots too. It was a veritable carb orgy.

I made fried chicken today, too. Though I made it earlier in the day
because I don't like it hot, and the later in the day it gets, the less
I want to cook right now. Mmhhhmmm... cold fried chicken.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Sep 2012 09:58:43 +1000, John John >
wrote:

>On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 18:03:02 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>
>>so we're talking about duck tonight and I say I've cooked it a few
>>times, and eaten it in restaurants a few times-- and I've never wanted
>>to try it again
>>
>>And my wife remembers something that 'sounds like wa suh duck' that
>>she had and she like it.
>>
>>I think this is it-
>>http://www.mangerati.com/steamed-dee...d-pressed-duck
>>
>>Aside from deboning a hot duck so it retains its shape, it looks
>>pretty simple-- and might remove enough of the duck flavor and
>>texture for me to enjoy it.

>If you don't want the duck flavor and texture, don't buy a duck, buy a
>chicken.

If I lived alone or cooked for one I'd never consider eating duck
again. There sure are lots of other foods I *do* like.

But-- when someone you cook for says they like something--- and it
looks like you might be able to live with that presentation- then I
say, go for it.

>Or a lettuce.

OTOH-- most of the folks I cook for don't like lettuce, yet I serve it
often and they works around it.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John John wrote:

> It's like soaking fish in milk to get rid of the fishy flavor.
> If you don't like a fishy flavor, don't buy a fish.

Actually, that's often a case of fish going bad.
Fresh seafood doesn't have much smell.
If it smells very fishy, throw it out.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, August 31, 2012 11:44:49 PM UTC-5, Cheryl wrote:
> On 8/31/2012 8:47 PM, Bryan wrote:
>

> > Mmmm. I made fried chicken tonight with real flour on it. Cooked carrots too. It was a veritable carb orgy.

> I made fried chicken today, too. Though I made it earlier in the day
>
> because I don't like it hot, and the later in the day it gets, the less
>
> I want to cook right now. Mmhhhmmm... cold fried chicken.

I just ate cold fried chicken, with cold mashed up carrots that I had spooned onto some of the oily crispies from the frying pan. If you fry much, you really should consider buying high oleic sunflower oil. It is the most neutral oil I've found, and on par for healthfulness with olive oil.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 1, 2012 5:02:30 AM UTC-5, John John wrote:

> Weird. It's like soaking fish in milk to get rid of the fishy flavor.
>
> If you don't like a fishy flavor, don't buy a fish.

That seems like a waste of good milk as well.

> John

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> I just ate cold fried chicken, with cold mashed up carrots that I had
> spooned onto some of the oily crispies from the frying pan. If you fry
> much, you really should consider buying high oleic sunflower oil. It is
> the most neutral oil I've found, and on par for healthfulness with
> olive oil.

Question for you Bryan. I normally use Canola oil which is supposed to be on
par with olive oil. I've never noticed a taste from that. From your
research, is Canola oil as healthy? (not that I really care all that
much...I'll still use it!)

G.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John John wrote:

> Doesn't canola oil tend to be genetically modified? If you don't want
> to grow body parts that belong to the opposite sex, better avoid it.

Somebody's been mainlining X-Men comics.