Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Fermented Pickles

No vinegar, naturally fermented pickles. These turned out beautifully,
crunchy and spicy.

http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor.../my-entry.html

or
http://tinyurl.com/8fp8v2g

Here's the recipe I used.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Fermented Pickles

relishes/preserves

6 leaves napa cabbage
1 1/2 gallons boiling water
1 cup Kosher salt
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes; or to taste
2 tablespoons dried dill or bunch of fresh; or to taste
1 tablespoon peppercorns; or to taste
1 medium onion; sliced
7 kirby cucumbers
2 tablespoons roughly chopped garlic; or to taste

Bring the water to a boil. As the water is boiling wash the cucumbers.
Line the bottom of a 1 gallon jug or tub with a couple of cabbage
leaves.
Put as many cucumbers as will fit in a single layer on the cabbage
leaves. Add a big pinch of garlic, a handful of onion slices, a
sprinkling of dill, and a pinch of peppercorns. Put another layer of
cabbage leaves on top and repeat layering until the jug or container
is full.

Pour in the hot brine until the jug or tub is full. Slide a knife down
into the jar and along the sides to remove any air bubbles. Place a
lid or saucer on top of the cabbage leaves, and place a weight on top
to keep the pickles under the brine. They should be covered by at
least one inch of brine at all times.

Let sit at room temperature for 3-7 days. Taste test everyday until
they have reached your preferred taste.
Once they are to your liking; store them in their brine, in jars with
lids, in the refrigerator.
Refrigeration stops the "pickling" process and they can be stored in
the refrigerator for up to a year.

Now you not only have pickles, but you have pickled cabbage and onion
as well.

Notes: kokoscornerblog.com

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fermented Pickles

> wrote in message
>
> No vinegar, naturally fermented pickles. These turned out beautifully,
> crunchy and spicy.
>
> http://www.kokoscornerblog.com/mycor.../my-entry.html
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/8fp8v2g
>

> Here's the recipe I used.
>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Fermented Pickles
>
> relishes/preserves
>
> 6 leaves napa cabbage
> 1 1/2 gallons boiling water
> 1 cup Kosher salt
> 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes; or to taste
> 2 tablespoons dried dill or bunch of fresh; or to taste
> 1 tablespoon peppercorns; or to taste
> 1 medium onion; sliced
> 7 kirby cucumbers
> 2 tablespoons roughly chopped garlic; or to taste
>
> Bring the water to a boil. As the water is boiling wash the cucumbers.
> Line the bottom of a 1 gallon jug or tub with a couple of cabbage
> leaves.
> Put as many cucumbers as will fit in a single layer on the cabbage
> leaves. Add a big pinch of garlic, a handful of onion slices, a
> sprinkling of dill, and a pinch of peppercorns. Put another layer of
> cabbage leaves on top and repeat layering until the jug or container
> is full.
>
> Pour in the hot brine until the jug or tub is full. Slide a knife down
> into the jar and along the sides to remove any air bubbles. Place a
> lid or saucer on top of the cabbage leaves, and place a weight on top
> to keep the pickles under the brine. They should be covered by at
> least one inch of brine at all times.
>
> Let sit at room temperature for 3-7 days. Taste test everyday until
> they have reached your preferred taste.
> Once they are to your liking; store them in their brine, in jars with
> lids, in the refrigerator.
> Refrigeration stops the "pickling" process and they can be stored in
> the refrigerator for up to a year.
>
> Now you not only have pickles, but you have pickled cabbage and onion
> as well.
>
> Notes: kokoscornerblog.com
>

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.87 **
>
> koko
> --
> Food is our common ground, a universal experience
> James Beard
>
> www.kokoscornerblog.com
>
> Natural Watkins Spices
> www.apinchofspices.com

I am really going to try this in the next few days.

Cheri

Pickle Crisp and Fermented pickles Mark Curry Preserving 19 28-04-2019 12:04 AM
Lacto-fermented pickles... Oregonian Haruspex General Cooking 5 28-10-2015 05:00 PM
Fermented pickles Shawn Martin[_14_] Preserving 6 17-07-2012 06:09 AM
Fermented Pickles Beti Preserving 3 11-09-2011 12:10 AM
Fermented pickles Andy Petro Preserving 7 28-07-2009 06:44 PM