Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What to stockpile due to drought.

I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not, although
I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy extra
chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I am
getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
popcorn and canned stuff.

http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>>on the list.

> HOW do you stockpile eggs and cheese??

Some cheese can be frozen. Personally I think the quality suffers for
eating out of hand. I know this because I bought an extra bag of Tillamoos
once and stuck them in the freezer. We love those things and Costco is
frequently out of them. But once frozen, they just crumble. You can use
this cheese grated or crumbled over things for melting. It's just fine for
that.

As for the eggs, I guess you would have to prepare them as if for scrambled
and then maybe freeze them in ice cube containers or something. Again, the
quality might suffer. I can't eat eggs so I don't really know. But I did
wonder about that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not, although
>I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
>later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy extra
>chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I am
>getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
>popcorn and canned stuff.
>
>http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

Water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the
>> things
>> on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not,
>> although
>> I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
>> later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy extra
>> chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I am
>> getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
>> popcorn and canned stuff.
>>
>> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

> Much of that stuff is impractical, unsafe, or impossible to stockpile.
>
> My favorites were fresh meat, fresh vegetables, and fresh fruits.
> None of which can be stockpiled until 2013.

Well some people do freeze meat. Fresh fruit and veg won't do you any good
unless you can or freeze them and then I think it's only feasible to do if
they are given to you or you grow your own.

> Soda, soy sauce, chips, popcorn? Get real.

Soy sauce? Maybe, but seriuosly we eat very little of it. I will likely
buy an extra bag or two of popcorn. We do eat a lot of that and it will
keep for a year. Longer if frozen. We drink diet Soda and that is really
only good for a few months.

> Eggs, bread, butter - yeah - those will last 6-8 months just fine!

Yeah. That wouldn't work.

> The list was made by a moron. but get used to the higher prices,
> folks. Because once the prices go up, they'll never come back down -
> regardless of drought, flood, or beanstalks that reach to the heavens.

And not just food. Cotton is a crop too. I think the prices on everything
will go up. And a lot!

> -sw (who should have stockpiled bacon a year ago)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
news

>>> Much of that stuff is impractical, unsafe, or impossible to stockpile.
>>>
>>> My favorites were fresh meat, fresh vegetables, and fresh fruits.
>>> None of which can be stockpiled until 2013.

>> Well some people do freeze meat. Fresh fruit and veg won't do you any
>> good
>> unless you can or freeze them and then I think it's only feasible to do
>> if
>> they are given to you or you grow your own.

> Point was that none of those are going to be "fresh" any more.
> They'll be frozen. You can't stockpile FRESH meat, etc...

Quite true.

>>> Soda, soy sauce, chips, popcorn? Get real.

>> Soy sauce? Maybe, but seriuosly we eat very little of it.

> All the decent soy sauces are imported.
>
>> And not just food. Cotton is a crop too. I think the prices on
>> everything
>> will go up. And a lot!

> The USA will just be more screwed up here shortly. You're not to be
> able to count on any of the politicians doing anything for the welfare
> of the common people unless they get something out of it, which
> usually involves something even more detrimental to the people.
>
> Politicians are just bankers in disguise.

I have noticed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not,
>although I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will
>use them later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy
>extra chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I
>am getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
>popcorn and canned stuff.
>
> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

Australia went through 10 years of severe drought and I didn't stockpile
anything on that list.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>>on the list.

> HOW do you stockpile eggs and cheese??

A couple of old fashioned ways of keeping eggs for months was a) to rub them
with vaseline/coat them in wax and then store them buried in bran or,
alternatively 2) put them in a bucket (pail) covered in a Waterglass
solution.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>>on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not,
>>although I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will
>>use them later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy
>>extra chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure
>>I am getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra
>>beans, popcorn and canned stuff.
>>
>> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

> Australia went through 10 years of severe drought and I didn't stockpile
> anything on that list.

Did you stockpile anything at all?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> "Farm1" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the
>>>things on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do
>>>not, although I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I
>>>will use them later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that
>>>I buy extra chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But
>>>for sure I am getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some
>>>extra beans, popcorn and canned stuff.
>>>
>>> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

>> Australia went through 10 years of severe drought and I didn't stockpile
>> anything on that list.

> Did you stockpile anything at all?

No. Mind you, live in the country so we supply our own water, have a good
vegetable garden, keep poultry and I always keep a well stocked pantry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Australia went through 10 years of severe drought and I didn't stockpile
>>> anything on that list.

>> Did you stockpile anything at all?

> No. Mind you, live in the country so we supply our own water, have a good
> vegetable garden, keep poultry and I always keep a well stocked pantry.

Okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>
> > I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
> > on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not, although
> > I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
> > later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy extra
> > chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I am
> > getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
> > popcorn and canned stuff.
> >
> > http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

> Much of that stuff is impractical, unsafe, or impossible to stockpile.

Most of it is certainly impractical to stockpile. Certainly stockpile
flour, cornmeal and the like, since they store at reasonably high
density and you can make the bulky items like bread, pasta, etc. from
them as needed.

Eggs freeze very well as liquid egg product. I tested this with a carton
of liquid whole egg product (Pasteurized, homogenized with a bit of
citric acid) from Restaurant Depot that I froze for a good year and a
half then defrosted and used. I made some of it into basic scrambled
eggs since that would highlight any quality issues and there were none.

Fresh meats and vegetables - yea, they certainly won't store in a fresh
state, you'll have to process and freeze them, but then they can
stockpile just fine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> And not just food. Cotton is a crop too. I think the prices on everything
> will go up. And a lot!

The prices on everything are going up, and mostly not due to drought,
but rather due to "quantitative easing" i.e. the government printing
more currency to ride the economic lag to election before the
devaluation of the currency catches up. Whatever currency you have is
rapidly devaluing and that is the greatest problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Farm1 wrote:

> "The Other Guy" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
> >>on the list.

> > HOW do you stockpile eggs and cheese??

> A couple of old fashioned ways of keeping eggs for months was a) to rub them
> with vaseline/coat them in wax and then store them buried in bran or,
> alternatively 2) put them in a bucket (pail) covered in a Waterglass
> solution.

You freeze them. Cheese freezes just fine as-is (freeze quickly so large
ice crystals don't form. Eggs you freeze as liquid egg product, the
commercial stuff you can get at restaurant supply places is pasteurized
and homogenized with a bit of citric acid added. Homogenizing at home is
probably not practical, but you can certainly batch pasteurize and add
citric acid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not, although
>I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
>later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy extra
>chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I am
>getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
>popcorn and canned stuff.
>
>http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

Great way to raise prices now.
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:57:17 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the
>>> things
>>> on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not,
>>> although
>>> I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
>>> later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy extra
>>> chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I am
>>> getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
>>> popcorn and canned stuff.
>>>
>>> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

>> Much of that stuff is impractical, unsafe, or impossible to stockpile.
>>
>> My favorites were fresh meat, fresh vegetables, and fresh fruits.
>> None of which can be stockpiled until 2013.

>Well some people do freeze meat. Fresh fruit and veg won't do you any good
>unless you can or freeze them and then I think it's only feasible to do if
>they are given to you or you grow your own.
>>
>> Soda, soy sauce, chips, popcorn? Get real.

>Soy sauce? Maybe, but seriuosly we eat very little of it. I will likely
>buy an extra bag or two of popcorn. We do eat a lot of that and it will
>keep for a year. Longer if frozen. We drink diet Soda and that is really
>only good for a few months.
>>
>> Eggs, bread, butter - yeah - those will last 6-8 months just fine!

>Yeah. That wouldn't work.
>>
>> The list was made by a moron. but get used to the higher prices,
>> folks. Because once the prices go up, they'll never come back down -
>> regardless of drought, flood, or beanstalks that reach to the heavens.

>And not just food. Cotton is a crop too. I think the prices on everything
>will go up. And a lot!
>>
>> -sw (who should have stockpiled bacon a year ago)

I see no point in stockpiling food for an emergency in a freezer,
emergencies are when power failures are most common. Most of the
foods you listed are available dehy/freeze dried. Eggs and cheese are
readily available dried. And don't tell me you won't eat powdered
eggs, if it's truly and emergency you will, or starve to death.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:28:31 -0500, "Pete C." >
wrote:

>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> And not just food. Cotton is a crop too. I think the prices on everything
>> will go up. And a lot!

>The prices on everything are going up.

Lately I'm seeing ads on the tube about the new VW Beetle being back,
price $19,759.00. In 1972 I bought a brand new VW Beetle for
$1,950.00.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

>> And not just food. Cotton is a crop too.

For emergencies (even non-emergencies) the important thing to stock up
is TP.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/16/2012 4:17 AM, Farm1 wrote:

>> Did you stockpile anything at all?

> No. Mind you, live in the country so we supply our own water, have a good
> vegetable garden, keep poultry and I always keep a well stocked pantry.

No food is stockpiled at my house, either.

In Walmart, I noticed a large display, near the cash registers, of a
12-Day Emergency Food Survival Kit. It guarantees you 2,063 per day, and
it was $68. I assume this is for one person. I wonder who would buy this?

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:51:35 -0700, Zz Yzx >
wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>>on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not, although
>>I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
>>later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy extra
>>chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I am
>>getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
>>popcorn and canned stuff.
>>
>>http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm
>>

>Water.

For protracted emergencies it's better to stockpile beer.
And it's very easy to stockpile fresh meat without refrigeration,
SPAM.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:04:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Farm1" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>>>on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not,
>>>although I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will
>>>use them later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy
>>>extra chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure
>>>I am getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra
>>>beans, popcorn and canned stuff.
>>>
>>> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

>> Australia went through 10 years of severe drought and I didn't stockpile
>> anything on that list.

>Did you stockpile anything at all?

Aussies can live for decades on brewskies

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 8/16/2012 4:17 AM, Farm1 wrote:
>
>>> Did you stockpile anything at all?

>> No. Mind you, live in the country so we supply our own water, have a
>> good
>> vegetable garden, keep poultry and I always keep a well stocked pantry.

> No food is stockpiled at my house, either.
>
> In Walmart, I noticed a large display, near the cash registers, of a
> 12-Day Emergency Food Survival Kit. It guarantees you 2,063 per day, and
> it was $68. I assume this is for one person. I wonder who would buy this?

You might need this if you live in an area prone to hurricanes or if you get
snowed in during the winter. I wouldn't simply because chances are high
that we couldn't eat it. I did used to keep some shelf stable meals through
the winter that were allergy friendly but frankly they weren't very filling
or good. So I no longer keep them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> >> And not just food. Cotton is a crop too.

> For emergencies (even non-emergencies) the important thing to stock up
> is TP.

Years ago, I had a friend...an old widow in her 70's. A hurricane was on
the way and she told me she went out to buy the essentials....whiskey and
cigarettes. heheheh

And she was serious too. :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:

> For protracted emergencies it's better to stockpile beer.
> And it's very easy to stockpile fresh meat without refrigeration,
> SPAM.

You are da man, Sheldon!

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 15, 7:36*pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> I could just see it coming! *Personally I disagree with some of the things
> on the list. *I know that some people like frozen bread. *I do not, although
> I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
> later for stuffing. *It's fine for that. *And any time that I buy extra
> chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. *But for sure I am
> getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
> popcorn and canned stuff.
>
> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...Stockpile-Due-...

This is not making a impact here like it is in the rest of the US,
Julie- it's just a bit warm today. I'm sure we will see some costs
rise in the near future because of the rest of the country, but we are
pretty fortunate here in the Pacific NW. You should be prepared for an
earthquake, tho.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> All the decent soy sauces are imported.

Yes, but they're either made from U.S. beans
or from other beans whose price will rise when
there's fewer U.S. beans on the market.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 17:02:23 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>
>> For protracted emergencies it's better to stockpile beer.
>> And it's very easy to stockpile fresh meat without refrigeration,
>> SPAM.

>You are da man, Sheldon!

Was getting late so I didn't feel like cooking the pork chops, so
instead I popped the lid on a 12oz can of SPAM, was enough for two
sandwiches and some for three of my cats. If I was planning a party
and serving cold cuts I would allot 12 ounces per. Truth be known I
eat cold cuts for brunch a minimum of 4 days a week. I don't eat
breakfast or lunch, that's my meal until dinner time, I may have a
lite snack but that's it... today after picking I ate two cukes and
one tomato from my garden. For brunch today I ate two bologna
sandwiches, a pound of balogna will be sufficient for two sandwiches
for each of two days, that's four sandwiches... and I have two cats
that get a slice each. But when I buy ham I have to buy two pounds,
all my cats love ham. I also love olive loaf, one cat likes that. Now
I'm wondering if there such a thing as Extra Virgin Olive Loaf. And
yes, I like head cheese a lot, Boar's Head. I like all those "loaf"
cold cuts, pepper loaf is good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Other Guy > wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>> I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>> on the list.

> HOW do you stockpile eggs and cheese??

Farm fresh will last longer. They are not washed. Don't even have to
refrigerate.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 20:51:35 -0700, Zz Yzx >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>>> on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not, although
>>> I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will use them
>>> later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy extra
>>> chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I am
>>> getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
>>> popcorn and canned stuff.
>>>
>>> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm
>>>

>> Water.

> For protracted emergencies it's better to stockpile beer.
> And it's very easy to stockpile fresh meat without refrigeration,
> SPAM.

Spam, crackers, water, whiskey. Good to go. Maybe some knolls packets.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I have said for years this country should invest in a water pipeline
network. So global warming is melting ice caps and they are predicting a
rise in water levels with eventual flooding of coastal cities, yet every
year we let the snow melt and flow out to sea and we let the floods
drain out to sea and we let the rains trickle out to sea...when we
should be containing, holding, and redistributing water across the
country. Northern communities should have giant reservoirs and truck the
snow to melt in them. In times of flooding we should be sucking up the
water into a pipeline faster than it can flood and destroy. We should
have rain collection systems built into our highways. our public
buildings, our homes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Prices (was What to stockpile due to drought.)

On 8/16/2012 1:35 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:28:31 -0500, "Pete C." >

> Lately I'm seeing ads on the tube about the new VW Beetle being back,
> price $19,759.00. In 1972 I bought a brand new VW Beetle for
> $1,950.00.

We bought our 1968 Beetle in Sept.'67 for $1600. We had it till 1984.
We got rid of it because the exhaust was leaking into the passenger
compartment. Every teenager in the neighborhood wanted it but we
wouldn't sell it to a kid who wouldn't get the exhaust repaired.
We traded it in on a VW Rabbit, the only lemon we've owned.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria p > wrote:
> On 8/16/2012 1:35 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 08:28:31 -0500, "Pete C." >

>> Lately I'm seeing ads on the tube about the new VW Beetle being back,
>> price $19,759.00. In 1972 I bought a brand new VW Beetle for
>> $1,950.00.
>>

> We bought our 1968 Beetle in Sept.'67 for $1600. We had it till 1984.
> We got rid of it because the exhaust was leaking into the passenger
> compartment. Every teenager in the neighborhood wanted it but we
> wouldn't sell it to a kid who wouldn't get the exhaust repaired.
> We traded it in on a VW Rabbit, the only lemon we've owned.
>
> gloria p

I was explaining the time when I was getting picked up to go to electronic
school in Pittsburgh. The car cost about $5k in 67. A week later it got
stolen, gone in 60 seconds. True story. Valued $150k today.

http://www.mustangrestoration.net/GT500White.jpg

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ema Nymton" > wrote in message
> On 8/16/2012 4:17 AM, Farm1 wrote:
>
>>> Did you stockpile anything at all?

>> No. Mind you, I live in the country so we supply our own water, have a
>> good
>> vegetable garden, keep poultry and I always keep a well stocked pantry.

> No food is stockpiled at my house, either.
>
> In Walmart, I noticed a large display, near the cash registers, of a
> 12-Day Emergency Food Survival Kit. It guarantees you 2,063 per day, and
> it was $68. I assume this is for one person. I wonder who would buy this?

If it was neatly packaged, perhaps a potential purchaser might be someone
who wants to carry it in a car or survivalists/preppers who have BOBs (Bug
out Bags). But I wouldn't buy it. My pantry holds way more than 12 days
supply of food and if I had to pack and evacuate, I'd still be able to throw
more than 12 days food into a vehicle and I'd also be able to throw in the
means to cook it and also be able to throw in the means to refrigerate any
leftovers :-)).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:04:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Australia went through 10 years of severe drought and I didn't stockpile
>>> anything on that list.

>>Did you stockpile anything at all?

> Aussies can live for decades on brewskies

I have no idea what a brewskie may be, but I'm darned sure I'd not ever want
to live on your other suggestion of SPAM.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"z z" > wrote in message
>I have said for years this country should invest in a water pipeline
> network. So global warming is melting ice caps and they are predicting a
> rise in water levels with eventual flooding of coastal cities, yet every
> year we let the snow melt and flow out to sea and we let the floods
> drain out to sea and we let the rains trickle out to sea...when we
> should be containing, holding, and redistributing water across the
> country. Northern communities should have giant reservoirs and truck the
> snow to melt in them. In times of flooding we should be sucking up the
> water into a pipeline faster than it can flood and destroy. We should
> have rain collection systems built into our highways. our public
> buildings, our homes.

I suspect the whole world is in for far more grief as a result of the now
very well documented diminution of the ocean currents.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:38:46 -0500, Ema Nymton wrote:
>
>> In Walmart, I noticed a large display, near the cash registers, of a
>> 12-Day Emergency Food Survival Kit. It guarantees you 2,063 per day, and
>> it was $68. I assume this is for one person. I wonder who would buy this?

> Plenty of people would buy those. At one time they sold a 55gal drum
> at CoctCo full of a variety of freeze dried food. I think it cost
> about $200. It might have been pre Y2K.

Costco still sells emergency food and they even sell shelving type
dispensers for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" > wrote in message
> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:04:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Did you stockpile anything at all?

>> Aussies can live for decades on brewskies

> I have no idea what a brewskie may be, but I'm darned sure I'd not ever
> want to live on your other suggestion of SPAM.

Beer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> "Farm1" > wrote in message
>> "Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
>>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 23:04:37 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Aussies can live for decades on brewskies

>> I have no idea what a brewskie may be, but I'm darned sure I'd not ever
>> want to live on your other suggestion of SPAM.

> Beer.

Ah! I only like one beer and that is a particular brand of black beer and
even then I only like to drink it in a Shandy when the weather is so hot the
tar is melting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Aug 15, 7:36 pm, "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>> I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the
>> things on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do
>> not, although I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad
>> and I will use them later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any
>> time that I buy extra chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can
>> eat them. But for sure I am getting some of that whole wheat pasta
>> from Costco and some extra beans, popcorn and canned stuff.
>>
>> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...Stockpile-Due-...

> This is not making a impact here like it is in the rest of the US,
> Julie- it's just a bit warm today. I'm sure we will see some costs
> rise in the near future because of the rest of the country, but we are
> pretty fortunate here in the Pacific NW. You should be prepared for an
> earthquake, tho.

I did personally need to get some extra food because my husband is retiring
at the end of this month and although he is getting a new job in NY, we
don't know the particulars of that. And the VA has said they don't know
when they can send him that portion of his pay. Although he does get a
retirement income, it will not be enough. So I may have to go without
buying stuff for a few weeks.

I did very well at Fred Meyer today. That's a place I don't normally shop
because overall they have higher prices IMO, at least on groceries. But I
found their brand of whole wheat pasta for cheaper than any other. And they
had good prices on dried beans. I only bought a few of each because I don't
have much storage space for stuff like that. I can put canned food in the
garage but after getting a rat in there and being notified of rat activity
in the area again, there is no way I would put stuff in there that they
might get into.

I will pick up some canned stuff at Winco, assuming they still have the good
prices that they did last week. I used to buy cases of green beans at
Costco but since they switched to carrying the Kirkland brand, I won't buy
them. We just don't like those. Odd because I think we have bought pretty
much every other kind of canned green beans on the market and we liked them.
But these are pretty flavorless.

We went to Top Foods tonight to buy some fruit but I wouldn't pay their
prices. I did find a tub of cut up fruit that was marked 50 cents off so I
bought that. And of course the second we hit the door to the house my
husband was asking for fruit. I don't know if fruit in general has gone up
in price or if Top Foods just has higher prices. We don't normally shop
there. I had wanted to stop at Costco but daughter begged me to go there
instead. We used to go there once in a while to get stuff from their salad
bar but never to do any sort of major shopping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz wrote:
> The Other Guy > wrote:
>> On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 19:36:15 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the
>>> things on the list.

>> HOW do you stockpile eggs and cheese??
>>

> Farm fresh will last longer. They are not washed. Don't even have to
> refrigerate.

No place around here that I know of to get farm fresh eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>I could just see it coming! Personally I disagree with some of the things
>on the list. I know that some people like frozen bread. I do not,
>although I do freeze the extra slices that are about to go bad and I will
>use them later for stuffing. It's fine for that. And any time that I buy
>extra chips or pretzel, they go bad before we can eat them. But for sure I
>am getting some of that whole wheat pasta from Costco and some extra beans,
>popcorn and canned stuff.
>
> http://frugalliving.about.com/od/sto...he-Drought.htm

Water.

Paul

Tidying up my stockpile. Julie Bove[_2_] General Cooking 30 23-11-2013 02:19 AM
Are you going to stockpile food? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 10 21-08-2012 07:00 AM
What to stockpile due to drought. Ophelia[_7_] General Cooking 1 18-08-2012 05:29 AM
drought gregz General Cooking 3 16-08-2012 05:20 PM
The end of the drought James Silverton[_4_] General Cooking 11 15-09-2011 01:41 AM