Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 2012-08-13 Dinner

eggplant dip: roasted eggplant, purple sage (from our garden), garlic,
olive oil, orange zest, and orange juice.

homemade focaccia topped with coarse salt and onions

scampi: shrimp, olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, salt, parsley, and cayenne

sungold tomatoes from our garden seared along with padrón chiles and
topped with a chopped mixture of mint and cilantro

We had premium extra-virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar for dipping
the bread; Lin used them but I didn't. We drank iced tea with peach purée.

A few comments:

1. The recipe for the dip comes from _The Eggplant Cookbook_,
http://www.amazon.com/The-Eggplant-C.../dp/0785808965

2. I used the Cook's Illustrated recipe for scampi. The trick (if you
want to call it that) is to cook at a fairly low temperature. The online
recipe is only available to premium members; it's from a 1999 issue of
the magazine.

3. True to their reputation, the chiles were unpredictable in whether
they'd be hot or not. About two-thirds of them were spicy. The
tomato-chile mixture went very well both with the scampi and with the
eggplant dip.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:38:19 AM UTC-4, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> eggplant dip: roasted eggplant, purple sage (from our garden), garlic,

Sounds like a meal FFAK. ( Clue: regal entity.)

I like to see new ways to fix eggplant. My last eggplant dish was much too salty - guess there's a limit to how much one should use to 'bleed' it, regardless of amount of rinsing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
>Bob Terwilliger wrote:
>> eggplant dip: roasted eggplant, purple sage (from our garden), garlic,

>Sounds like a meal FFAK. ( Clue: regal entity.)

Yeah, how Queen Shmoo spackles her ass to hide cellulite.

> I like to see new ways to fix eggplant.
> My last eggplant dish was much too salty -
> guess there's a limit to how much one should
> use to 'bleed' it, regardless of amount of rinsing.

With hybridized eggplant there is no reason to salt, hasn't been for
more than 30 years. When my garden produces a glut of eggplant I
slice thick slabs, brush with oil, season and grill... Delicious
Commoner Eggplant.
But this is Royal Eggplant:
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/fo...Raisins-231418
Occasionally with a cornucopia of eggplant my garden produces a
Two Shmoo Eggplant:
http://i48.tinypic.com/29gd09i.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Marty wrote:

>> 2. I used the Cook's Illustrated recipe for scampi. The trick (if you
>> want to call it that) is to cook at a fairly low temperature. The
>> online recipe is only available to premium members; it's from a 1999
>> issue of the magazine.

> I always cook scampi fairly hot and fast, but then hit it with a little
> white wine right at the end which stops the shrimp from overcooking. Garlic
> goes in after the shrimp are partly cooked along with the parsley so it
> doesn't burn. I use a combo of Plugra butter and EVOO.

I had previously cooked scampi at a high temperature with results I
considered satisfactory but not outstanding. This was outstanding; the
shrimp were plump and full-flavored, and the garlic had fully infused
the oil. (The garlic goes in at the start with the cold oil, and the oil
never goes above medium heat, so you don't risk scorching it.)

>> 3. True to their reputation, the chiles were unpredictable in whether
>> they'd be hot or not. About two-thirds of them were spicy. The
>> tomato-chile mixture went very well both with the scampi and with the
>> eggplant dip.

> As I noted elsewhere today, I think yellow tomatoes are great in a salsa
> mix. But I generally don't cook them except when using in a tomato sauce.
> Worth a try, perhaps under the broiler, with some cheese served on some good
> bread.

Funny thing: We went out for dinner last night and the menu (which
changes daily) had another version of padrón chiles with sungold
tomatoes. In both versions, the fruits are put into a smoking-hot pan
with olive oil and cooked until spotted. This chef sprinkled the final
dish with some feta cheese and served it with grilled bread. Lin liked
the addition of cheese, but I think feta might not have been the best
cheese to use. The recipe I was following (from
http://www.amazon.com/Beginnings-My-.../dp/1616282940) has
you sprinkle the final dish with opal basil, but I used a combination of
mint and cilantro instead.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

>> You eat purple sage? It's a wildflower, sometimes used in ornamental gardens
>> as a tall background. It puts on a very nice show. Maybe there is more than
>> one variety. I never noticed it being particularly aromatic. (Cue New Riders
>> of the Purple Sage.)

> I suspect it is Salvia officinalis 'Purpurascens' -
> http://www.finegardening.com/plantgu...mmon-sage.aspx

Yes, that's it.

Bob