Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ignorance knows no bounds

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...FmLNQ.facebook

I'm thinking that this doofus doesn't know the difference between cured
(pork) products and fresh pork.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

>http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...FmLNQ.facebook
>
>I'm thinking that this doofus doesn't know the difference between cured
>(pork) products and fresh pork.

Just like most rfc'ers don't know the difference betweem cured ham and
fresh ham... it's obvious that perhaps no more than two out of a
hundred have ever eaten fresh ham let alone heard of it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/12 10:54 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>>
>> http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...FmLNQ.facebook
>>
>> I'm thinking that this doofus doesn't know the difference between cured
>> (pork) products and fresh pork.

> Just like most rfc'ers don't know the difference betweem cured ham and
> fresh ham... it's obvious that perhaps no more than two out of a
> hundred have ever eaten fresh ham let alone heard of it.

I think a nice grilled pork tenderloin is a healthy meat. Fresh pork in
all forms would be. Where in the hell does "causes hypertension" come in
to this again....?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 8:17 AM, Goomba wrote:
> http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...FmLNQ.facebook
>

> I'm thinking that this doofus doesn't know the difference between cured
> (pork) products and fresh pork.

"Michael J. Sorrell, president of Paul Quinn College in Dallas" says
it all. ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/12 3:18 PM, George wrote:
> On 8/9/2012 8:17 AM, Goomba wrote:
>> http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...FmLNQ.facebook
>>

>> I'm thinking that this doofus doesn't know the difference between cured
>> (pork) products and fresh pork.

> "Michael J. Sorrell, president of Paul Quinn College in Dallas" says it
> all. ^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

you forgot the all impotant "esquire" <insert eye roll>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> We have our own racist college here in Austin and
> haven't been to that one either.

My brother attended UT-Austin as a graduate student. He got his PhD from
there. He also met his wife there. I have no opinion of it all but I guess
it worked for him.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 10:54 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Goomba wrote:
>>
>> http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...FmLNQ.facebook
>>
>> I'm thinking that this doofus doesn't know the difference between cured
>> (pork) products and fresh pork.

> Just like most rfc'ers don't know the difference betweem cured ham and
> fresh ham... it's obvious that perhaps no more than two out of a
> hundred have ever eaten fresh ham let alone heard of it.

Actually pretty common to find uncured ham in the market. It tastes like
a pork roast. I know you don't get out much so maybe thats why you
think no one knows about them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 16:26:52 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On 8/9/2012 10:54 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
>>> Just like most rfc'ers don't know the difference betweem cured ham and
>>> fresh ham... it's obvious that perhaps no more than two out of a
>>> hundred have ever eaten fresh ham let alone heard of it.

>Shelly has been spouting this same rant for well over 15 years as if
>he holds some sort of knowledge here that nobody else has. It's sad
>that all he can do is recycle all these same [even more] outdated
>rants.
>
>I can honestly say I've never eaten fresh ham. But only because I
>*cook* it first. Duh. If you're going to rant about terminology, at
>least get your terminology right, dumbass.
>
>> Actually pretty common to find uncured ham in the market. It tastes like
>> a pork roast.

>My regular grocer has started carrying them most of the time. Pork
>butt and picnics are $2.18 and $1.78, respectively. But whole hams
>are $2.99. I don't get it. Front shoulder/leg tastes the same as
>back leg, and you're buying it in bulk. It should not cost more.
>
>-sw

The dwarf is lying again... fresh ham is actually inexpensive, here in
NY it sells for like $1.20-$1.50/lb, but isn't sold for most of the
year except for X-Mas and Easter... unlike turkey fresh ham doesn't
freeze well. In the US most hams are cured, fresh ham has a short
shelf life. When I want fresh ham for a holiday meal I have to tell
the butcher to save me one as they don't get too many and usually they
sell fast. And no other pork cut tastes like fresh ham... fresh ham
is the king of all meats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Biasi wrote:

> [...]

Strike one...

> Brittish.

Strike two...

> Not the preferred form but [it] is a word.

Not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 6:58 PM, George M. Middius wrote:

> Strike one...
>
>> Brittish.

> Strike two...
>
>> Not the preferred form but [it] is a word.

> Not.

You totally discount my link?
How about this one?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious

Or this one
http://www.wordnik.com/words/facetiousness

"ness is rare but 'it' is a word.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by George[_1_] View Post
On 8/9/2012 10:54 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Goomba wrote:

Paul Quinn College bans pork from campus dining | Inside Higher Ed

I'm thinking that this doofus doesn't know the difference between cured
(pork) products and fresh pork.

Just like most rfc'ers don't know the difference betweem cured ham and
fresh ham... it's obvious that perhaps no more than two out of a
hundred have ever eaten fresh ham let alone heard of it.

Actually pretty common to find uncured ham in the market. It tastes like
a pork roast. I know you don't get out much so maybe thats why you
think no one knows about them.
I very mkuch like the uncured hame. Relatively lean, as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Biasi wrote:

> > Strike one...
> >
> >> Brittish.

> > Strike two...
> >
> >> Not the preferred form but [it] is a word.

> > Not.
> >

> You totally discount my link?
> How about this one?
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious
>
> Or this one
> http://www.wordnik.com/words/facetiousness
>
> "ness is rare but 'it' is a word.

Yes, "facetiousness" is indeed a word, but that's not what you claimed
originally. There is no such word or nationality as "Brittish",
though.

I'll wait while you catch up....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:18:55 -0400, Tom Biasi >
wrote:

>> Strike one...
>>
>>> Brittish.

>> Strike two...
>>
>>> Not the preferred form but [it] is a word.

>> Not.
>>

>You totally discount my link?
>How about this one?
>
>http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious
>
>Or this one
>http://www.wordnik.com/words/facetiousness
>
>"ness is rare but 'it' is a word.

The loons are just playing with you because I typed an extra 'i'... at
least I'd hope so or they are really dumb... the same uneducated
pinheads who use sarcastic when the correct word should be facetious.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Shelley rears up in indignation.

> pinheads who use sarcastic when the correct word should be facetious.

Actually, the correct word for you is dirtbag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, August 9, 2012 3:46:42 PM UTC-4, Goomba38 wrote:

> you forgot the all impotant "esquire" <insert eye roll>

I can play spelling cop too. Did you mean impoRtant or impotent? : ))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 6:14*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 08:17:42 -0400, Goomba wrote:
> >http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2...n-college-bans...

> > I'm thinking that this doofus doesn't know the difference between cured
> > (pork) products and fresh pork.

Agree 100%. Only pork shoulder contains fat any more.

> We told our students that we re going to promote healthy living. We
> told them that we wanted them to have long, productive and healthy
> lives, Sorrell said. Now, if one or two people don t like that K.
> then they aren t being true to the institutional ethos.
>
> So it's either their way or the highway. *Colleges are supposed to
> promote diversity.
>
> I also like they bit about how he converted the football field into an
> organic garden. *For one, a football field is a wasteland after years
> of chemical treatments. *Also, a football field has more than one
> purpose. *Cutting the football program and preventing other sport and
> leisure activities on the field isn't exactly promoting a healthy
> lifestyle.

Our former football field is now a soccer field. Same grandstand, less
tackling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 9, 2:26*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On 8/9/2012 10:54 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>
> >> Just like most rfc'ers don't know the difference betweem cured ham and
> >> fresh ham... it's obvious that perhaps no more than two out of a
> >> hundred have ever eaten fresh ham let alone heard of it.

> Shelly has been spouting this same rant for well over 15 years as if
> he holds some sort of knowledge here that nobody else has. It's sad
> that all he can do is recycle all these same [even more] outdated
> rants.
>
> I can honestly say I've never eaten fresh ham. *But only because I
> *cook* it first. *Duh. *If you're going to rant about terminology, at
> least get your terminology right, dumbass.
>
> > Actually pretty common to find uncured ham in the market. It tastes like
> > a pork roast.

> My regular grocer has started carrying them most of the time. *Pork
> butt and picnics are $2.18 and $1.78, respectively. *But whole hams
> are $2.99. *I don't get it. *Front shoulder/leg tastes the same as
> back leg, and you're buying it in bulk. *It should not cost more.

Yield of lean meat is about the same.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:16:54 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> Only pork shoulder contains fat any more.

Not even that has much fat. Trust me, I just braised a 2 lb chunk
today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 8:11 PM, George M. Middius wrote:

>>> Strike one...

>>> Strike two...

>>> Not.
>>>

>> You totally discount my link?
>> How about this one?
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious
>>
>> Or this one
>> http://www.wordnik.com/words/facetiousness
>>
>> "ness is rare but 'it' is a word.

> Yes, "facetiousness" is indeed a word, but that's not what you claimed
> originally. There is no such word or nationality as "Brittish",
> though.
>
> I'll wait while you catch up....

American and British were used to describe which English as was posed in
a question to me. Excuse my typo if that is what you mean. I made no
claim other than it's a word. Now you catch up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/9/2012 8:50 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 19:18:55 -0400, Tom Biasi >
> wrote:

>>> Strike one...

>>> Strike two...

>>> Not.
>>>

>> You totally discount my link?
>> How about this one?
>>
>> http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious
>>
>> Or this one
>> http://www.wordnik.com/words/facetiousness
>>
>> "ness is rare but 'it' is a word.

> The loons are just playing with you because I typed an extra 'i'... at
> least I'd hope so or they are really dumb... the same uneducated
> pinheads who use sarcastic when the correct word should be facetious.

The more they play the dumber they look.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message

> Strike one...
>
>> Brittish.

> Strike two...
>
>> Not the preferred form but [it] is a word.

> Not.

It is used here in UK.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Biasi wrote:

> > Yes, "facetiousness" is indeed a word, but that's not what you claimed
> > originally. There is no such word or nationality as "Brittish",
> > though.
> >
> > I'll wait while you catch up....

> American and British

Well done. Repetition works for some people.

> were used to describe which English as was posed in
> a question to me. Excuse my typo if that is what you mean. I made no
> claim other than it's a word. Now you catch up.

The whole "debate" is idiotic because everybody who's not an idiot
knows that facetiousness is a bona-fide word on both sides of the
Atlantic. That's why it's OK to make fun of typos.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 10/08/2012 3:14 AM, sf wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:16:54 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
>
>> Only pork shoulder contains fat any more.

> Not even that has much fat. Trust me, I just braised a 2 lb chunk
> today.

It must depend on where you get your park. I get great tasting pork
from a local butcher. He trims a lot of fat off the pork. His bacon is
lean compared to what I see in supermarkets, and even lean bacon is at
least half fat. One thing to consider is the surface fat vs. that within
the meat. Lamb has fat around the outside but very little fat within the
flesh. Some cuts of beef and pork are quite lean while others have a lot
of fat in them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 00:14:19 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:16:54 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> wrote:
>
>> Only pork shoulder contains fat any more.

>Not even that has much fat. Trust me, I just braised a 2 lb chunk
>today.

Two pounds, that's not enough worth dirtying a pot. And no one who
cooks braises pork shoulder, that's a cut that's oven roasted
(pernil).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:41:00 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> On 10/08/2012 3:14 AM, sf wrote:
> > On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:16:54 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Only pork shoulder contains fat any more.

> > Not even that has much fat. Trust me, I just braised a 2 lb chunk
> > today.
> >

> It must depend on where you get your park. I get great tasting pork
> from a local butcher. He trims a lot of fat off the pork. His bacon is
> lean compared to what I see in supermarkets, and even lean bacon is at
> least half fat. One thing to consider is the surface fat vs. that within
> the meat. Lamb has fat around the outside but very little fat within the
> flesh. Some cuts of beef and pork are quite lean while others have a lot
> of fat in them.

I don't think you're ever going to find completely lean American style
bacon and that wasn't under discussion anyway. As far as exterior and
interior fat on ordinary cuts of meat, you just don't see meat with
much exterior fat anymore - that part is usually trimmed off, even
from the meat that you'd want some left on like prime rib. My hunk of
pork shoulder had no visible fat. After it had braised, there wasn't
more than a teaspoon of fat floating in the liquid and the meat was
too dry for me. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with leftover
citrus braised pork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Biasi wrote:

> > I guess you don't pay much attention here or you would understand why people
> > don't cut Sheldon a lot of slack.

> I don't know anyone here. I used to come years ago for cooking advice
> but left when cooking was reduced to a fraction of the discussions.
> Was all this about a misspelled word?

Yes it was. Of course, you invited it by claiming that your misspelled
version was a real word. It's bizarre to try having a "serious"
exchange about whether "facetiousness" is a real word. Know why I say
that? 'Cause anybody -- and I mean ANYbody, even Shelley -- can find
that out in under a minute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/10/2012 1:14 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> Tom Biasi wrote:
>
>>> I guess you don't pay much attention here or you would understand why people
>>> don't cut Sheldon a lot of slack.

>> I don't know anyone here. I used to come years ago for cooking advice
>> but left when cooking was reduced to a fraction of the discussions.
>> Was all this about a misspelled word?

> Yes it was. Of course, you invited it by claiming that your misspelled
> version was a real word. It's bizarre to try having a "serious"
> exchange about whether "facetiousness" is a real word. Know why I say
> that? 'Cause anybody -- and I mean ANYbody, even Shelley -- can find
> that out in under a minute.

It wasn't my misspelled word. Based on what I have seen here I really
thought the UN-misspelled word was doubted.I just assumed anyone would
see the obvious typo and make no comment. I now see what goes on.
Thanks for the education.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 09:30:01 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Fri, 10 Aug 2012 07:41:00 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>> On 10/08/2012 3:14 AM, sf wrote:
>> > On Thu, 9 Aug 2012 19:16:54 -0700 (PDT), spamtrap1888

>> > Not even that has much fat. Trust me, I just braised a 2 lb chunk
>> > today.
>> >

>> It must depend on where you get your park. I get great tasting pork
>> from a local butcher. He trims a lot of fat off the pork. His bacon is
>> lean compared to what I see in supermarkets, and even lean bacon is at
>> least half fat. One thing to consider is the surface fat vs. that within
>> the meat. Lamb has fat around the outside but very little fat within the
>> flesh. Some cuts of beef and pork are quite lean while others have a lot
>> of fat in them.

>My hunk of pork shoulder had no visible fat. After it had braised, there wasn't
>more than a teaspoon of fat floating in the liquid and the meat was
>too dry for me. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with leftover
>citrus braised pork.

Shove it up the dwarf's ignorant lying ass as a citrusy deodorant.
That you bought only a two pound hunk you have no way to know what cut
you bought. Pork shoulder has lots of exterior and interior fat.
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_pi...ulder_cuts.htm
http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_sh..._butt_cuts.htm

I prepare whole pork shoulder all the time, it's a very economical cut
and it's never short on fat. This is the best way to prepare pork
shoulder:
http://www.elboricua.com/pernil.html