Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cottage Cheese - Eat As Is, Or Use In Baking/Cooking?

Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but
I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a
pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.

I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using
cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.

Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love cottage cheese mixed with chopped cucumber and black pepper. It
is also delicious topping a hot baked potato.

Tara
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 29, 12:06*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but
> I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a
> pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.
>
> I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using
> cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.
>
> Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?
>
> Judy

Well, if you are going for less fat in your diet, low fat or non fat
cottage cheese is a great substitute for sour cream.
You can make sour cream out of it, just put it in the processor and
add a tad big of liquid...skim milk if you like.
Works like a charm, tastes like sour cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags > wrote:

>Well, if you are going for less fat in your diet, low fat or non fat
>cottage cheese is a great substitute for sour cream.
>You can make sour cream out of it, just put it in the processor and
>add a tad big of liquid...skim milk if you like.
>Works like a charm, tastes like sour cream.

Cottage cheese has some nutritional advantages because a lot
of the carbs (lactose) have been removed. (Like any farmer cheese,
the whey has been drained off.)

But sour cream has been cultured and cottage cheese has not; so
a better substitute flavor-wise is a good low fat sour cream -- locally
to me, Straus light sour cream is available and is quite good.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/07/2012 4:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> Well, if you are going for less fat in your diet, low fat or non fat
> cottage cheese is a great substitute for sour cream.
> You can make sour cream out of it, just put it in the processor and
> add a tad big of liquid...skim milk if you like.
> Works like a charm, tastes like sour cream.

Or.... you can buy low fat or non fat sour cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2012 2:06 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?
>
> Judy

Cottage cheese tastes good with cantaloupe, honeydew, watermelon.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 29, 2:12*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 29/07/2012 4:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>
> > Well, if you are going for less fat in your diet, low fat or non fat
> > cottage cheese is a great substitute for sour cream.
> > You can make sour cream out of it, just put it in the processor and
> > add a tad big of liquid...skim milk if you like.
> > Works like a charm, tastes like sour cream.

> Or.... you can buy low fat or non fat sour cream.

low fat and non fat sour cream is full of additives. no thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:02:09 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jul 29, 2:12*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> On 29/07/2012 4:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> > Well, if you are going for less fat in your diet, low fat or non fat
>> > cottage cheese is a great substitute for sour cream.
>> > You can make sour cream out of it, just put it in the processor and
>> > add a tad big of liquid...skim milk if you like.
>> > Works like a charm, tastes like sour cream.

>> Or.... you can buy low fat or non fat sour cream.

>low fat and non fat sour cream is full of additives. no thanks.

True. Better to have the real think in moderation.

This evening we had a had a mixed cold salad for dinner of garden
cukes, tomatoes, some onion, lots of cottage cheese and a good dollop
of sour cream to make it all come together beautifully. Perfect for a
warm evening.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jul 29, 2:12 pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> On 29/07/2012 4:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>>> Well, if you are going for less fat in your diet, low fat or non fat
>>> cottage cheese is a great substitute for sour cream.
>>> You can make sour cream out of it, just put it in the processor and
>>> add a tad big of liquid...skim milk if you like.
>>> Works like a charm, tastes like sour cream.

>> Or.... you can buy low fat or non fat sour cream.

> low fat and non fat sour cream is full of additives. no thanks.

Or you can eat fully fatted cottage cheese and sour cream because, well,
we've had this conversation already several times - the fully fatted
versions are what I buy and what I eat.

Last but not least, consider ricotta cheese instead. Last weekend we
bought some ricotta at our local farmer's market but the ricotta wasn't
local - it came from Maplebrook Farms in Bennington, Vermont. It was,
hands down, the best ricotta I've ever tasted and I'll be getting some
more of it. Made from whole milk, of course.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I frequently cut tomato pieces around the perimeter, or just toss them in.
Salt and pepper.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Jul 2012 18:02:09 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jul 29, 2:12*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
>> On 29/07/2012 4:50 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
>>
>> > Well, if you are going for less fat in your diet, low fat or non fat
>> > cottage cheese is a great substitute for sour cream.
>> > You can make sour cream out of it, just put it in the processor and
>> > add a tad big of liquid...skim milk if you like.
>> > Works like a charm, tastes like sour cream.

>> Or.... you can buy low fat or non fat sour cream.

>low fat and non fat sour cream is full of additives. no thanks.

I don't like any low fat dairy, the texture makes me shudder, gives me
the willys. I like cottage cheese but I like pot cheese better,
unfortunately it's no longer easy to find. I like farmer cheese too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/29/2012 2:06 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but
> I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a
> pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.
>
> I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using
> cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.
>
> Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?

We always ate it as a dip for potato chips and pretzels. After a
lifetime, the idea of any other kind of chip dip still seems strange
to me - as does the idea of eating cottage cheese with fruit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 29/07/2012 3:06 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but
> I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a
> pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.
>
> I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using
> cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.
>
> Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?

I used to eat it a lot when I was younger. My wife hated it.I rarely eat
it now but she has developed a taste for it. When I was a kid my mother
served cottage cheese fruit salads for dinner on hot days. She would put
a pile of cottage cheese on a lettuce leaf along with some tuna or
salmon salad, various fruits, carrot sticks and celery. Cottage cheese
is quite palatable with canned pears on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 30, 7:20*am, Dave Smith > wrote:

> I used to eat it a lot when I was younger. My wife hated it.I rarely eat
> it now but she has developed a taste for it. When I was a kid my mother
> served cottage cheese fruit salads for dinner on hot days. She would put
> a pile of cottage cheese on a lettuce leaf along with some tuna or
> salmon salad, various fruits, carrot sticks and celery. *Cottage cheese
> is quite palatable with canned pears on top.

My late Father In Law loved this particular 'salad'. It was served
on a little plate.
Lettuce leaves, half a canned pear, cottage cheese in the pear, a
teaspoon of mayo on top of the cottage
cheese and cheddar cheese shredded over all.

The combination is actually quite good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-07-30, ImStillMags > wrote:

> My late Father In Law loved this particular 'salad'. It was served
> on a little plate. Lettuce leaves, half a canned pear, cottage
> cheese in the pear, a teaspoon of mayo on top of the cottage cheese
> and cheddar cheese shredded over all.
>
> The combination is actually quite good.

I've lost my love of salads. I know, strange coming from a failed
vegan and wannabe organo. But! ....I have a solution. Cobb salad!
Jes gotta find me some organo ingreds.

nb

--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:06:11 PM UTC-4, Judy Haffner wrote:
> Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but
>
> I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a
>
> pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.
>

> I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using
>
> cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.
>

> Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?

I have even used it in lieu of sour cream in a salad dressing - needs to be done in blender tho to remove the chunkiness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:53:11 -0500, HellT > wrote:

> We always ate it as a dip for potato chips and pretzels.

I use it as a dip for crackers, currently using wheat thins.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:20:04 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> I used to eat it a lot when I was younger. My wife hated it.I rarely eat
> it now but she has developed a taste for it. When I was a kid my mother
> served cottage cheese fruit salads for dinner on hot days. She would put
> a pile of cottage cheese on a lettuce leaf along with some tuna or
> salmon salad, various fruits, carrot sticks and celery. Cottage cheese
> is quite palatable with canned pears on top.

I love cottage cheese on the side with leftover tomato bases pasta,
like lasagna or spaghetti.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 29, 12:06*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but
> I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a
> pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.
>
> I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using
> cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.
>
> Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?
>
> Judy

I put a big spoonful in my chili.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 9:41*am, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 08:53:11 -0500, HellT > wrote:
> > We always ate it as a dip for potato chips and pretzels.

> I use it as a dip for crackers, currently using wheat thins.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I mix it about half and half with salsa for dip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 30, 9:00*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Sunday, July 29, 2012 3:06:11 PM UTC-4, Judy Haffner wrote:
> > Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but

> > I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a

> > pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.

> > I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using

> > cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.

> > Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?

> I have even used it in lieu of sour cream in a salad dressing - needs to be done in blender tho to remove the chunkiness.- Hide quoted text -

Yup. And I've put it in the cuisinart with chopped veggies, herbs,
and a bit of mayo for a great spread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:41:04 -0700 (PDT), Chemo
> wrote:

> On Jul 29, 12:06*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> > Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but
> > I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a
> > pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.
> >
> > I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using
> > cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.
> >
> > Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?
> >
> > Judy

> I put a big spoonful in my chili.

It's good with chili too, but I've never mixed it in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 12:23*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:41:04 -0700 (PDT), Chemo
>
> > wrote:
> > On Jul 29, 12:06 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> > > Cottage Cheese in a regular food at our house. Hubby likes it as is, but
> > > I generally like it with fruit, mainly on a slice of pineapple, or a
> > > pear half with a little of the juice drizzled over the top.

> > > I also have used it in salads quite often, and have made brownies using
> > > cottage cheese and also have a favorite bread that I make with it.

> > > Have you used it in your cooking/baking, or how do you prefer it?

> > > Judy

> > I put a big spoonful in my chili.

> It's good with chili too, but I've never mixed it in.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Try it sometime.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Freides wrote:

> Or you can eat fully fatted cottage cheese and sour cream because, well,
> we've had this conversation already several times - the fully fatted
> versions are what I buy and what I eat.

For some reason fat free cottage cheese cleans me out where the full fat
version has no effect on my digestion. No other symptoms. Low fat
cottage cheese is milder than any sort of pill intended to unplug me.

Cheese this weekend - We went to German Fest in Milwaukee. Being in
Wisconsin we naturally stocked up on cheese. This time I saw 11 year
old cheddar. Oldest I ever remember. Of course I got a block. Have
not tried it yet.

> Last but not least, consider ricotta cheese instead. Last weekend we
> bought some ricotta at our local farmer's market but the ricotta wasn't
> local - it came from Maplebrook Farms in Bennington, Vermont. It was,
> hands down, the best ricotta I've ever tasted and I'll be getting some
> more of it. Made from whole milk, of course.

I have made lasagna with cottage cheese. Not as good as with riccota
but if it's what's available andI don't feel like going to the grocery
store it works.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:26:17 -0700 (PDT), Chemo
> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 12:23*pm, sf > wrote:
> > On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 10:41:04 -0700 (PDT), Chemo
> >
> > > wrote:

> > > I put a big spoonful in my chili.

> > It's good with chili too, but I've never mixed it in.
> >
> > --
> > Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

> Try it sometime.

But, but, but... I like sour cream for that and salsa too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>But, but, but... I like...

Butt, butt, butt... sf's cellulite ass is like a huge tub of large
curd cottage cheese. LOL-LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doug Freyburger wrote:
> Steve Freides wrote:
>>
>> Or you can eat fully fatted cottage cheese and sour cream because,
>> well, we've had this conversation already several times - the fully
>> fatted versions are what I buy and what I eat.

> For some reason fat free cottage cheese cleans me out where the full
> fat version has no effect on my digestion. No other symptoms. Low
> fat cottage cheese is milder than any sort of pill intended to unplug
> me.

It's good to have a go-to food like that when you need it - I certainly
have no idea why it works that way for you, though.

> Cheese this weekend - We went to German Fest in Milwaukee. Being in
> Wisconsin we naturally stocked up on cheese. This time I saw 11 year
> old cheddar. Oldest I ever remember. Of course I got a block. Have
> not tried it yet.

That's a report I'd like to hear.

>> Last but not least, consider ricotta cheese instead. Last weekend we
>> bought some ricotta at our local farmer's market but the ricotta
>> wasn't local - it came from Maplebrook Farms in Bennington, Vermont.
>> It was, hands down, the best ricotta I've ever tasted and I'll be
>> getting some more of it. Made from whole milk, of course.

> I have made lasagna with cottage cheese. Not as good as with riccota
> but if it's what's available andI don't feel like going to the grocery
> store it works.

We've done the same - cottage cheese works in a pinch.

My order for whole milk ricotta from VT is supposed to arrive tomorrow -
can't wait. My wife and I are planning on using at least a pound a week
here. Ricotta is one of my favorite snack foods - excellent nutritional
profile.

-S-

Anybody had cottage cheese lately? Libby[_2_] General Cooking 35 24-05-2013 03:17 PM
cottage cheese Omelet General Cooking 47 08-06-2007 10:38 PM
Cottage Cheese Eddie[_2_] Diabetic 6 24-04-2007 04:40 PM
Cottage cheese jmk General Cooking 4 27-08-2004 06:09 PM
Baking. Cottage cheese vs. curd cheese Emanuel Landeholm General Cooking 6 16-12-2003 02:00 AM