Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default for the SERIOUS Griswold collector

An antique cast iron genuine Griswold
store display rack. Just the thing for
holding your collection, but only if
you're a $ERIOU$ collector.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120954034125
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:24:53 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>An antique cast iron genuine Griswold
>store display rack. Just the thing for
>holding your collection, but only if
>you're a $ERIOU$ collector.
>
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/120954034125

But it only holds 3!!
--
Susan N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 12:53*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:41:48 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
> > I thought you had to be wrong. *I judged it
> > from the photo to be maybe four feet high.
> > I thought pots would hang from the horizontal
> > bars using S-hooks.

> > Reading the listing, it's only two feet high
> > and a foot wide. *You're right, it can only
> > hold three things.

> > And yet, with only three and a half hours to go,
> > bidding is over $1400! *I'm very interested
> > to see what the final price will be.

> > Those Griswold collectors are even more
> > aggressive than I thought.

> I don't Ebay, but what's to keep people from bidding $1 higher just
> seconds before the end of the bidding? *Does each bid within the last
> 5 minutes extend the deadline 3-5 minutes?
>
> -sw

You can do that but keep in mind that most serious bidders have a high
bid in that automatically goes in when someone else places a bid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:58:16 -0700 (PDT), Chemo
> wrote:

>On Jul 30, 12:53*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:41:48 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>> > I thought you had to be wrong. *I judged it
>> > from the photo to be maybe four feet high.
>> > I thought pots would hang from the horizontal
>> > bars using S-hooks.

>> > Reading the listing, it's only two feet high
>> > and a foot wide. *You're right, it can only
>> > hold three things.

>> > And yet, with only three and a half hours to go,
>> > bidding is over $1400! *I'm very interested
>> > to see what the final price will be.

>> > Those Griswold collectors are even more
>> > aggressive than I thought.

>> I don't Ebay, but what's to keep people from bidding $1 higher just
>> seconds before the end of the bidding? *Does each bid within the last
>> 5 minutes extend the deadline 3-5 minutes?
>>
>> -sw

>You can do that but keep in mind that most serious bidders have a high
>bid in that automatically goes in when someone else places a bid.

I haven't played in a while, but when I did I used 'sniper' software.
With 20 seconds [or 10?] left, it would place my bid.

If that thing is a real $1400 now- and it looks like it probably is- I
wouldn't be surprised if it went to $3-4k in the last minute of
bidding. [and the final bidder will not be on the current bidders
list] There is only *one* bid that counts in an auction.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 18:24:53 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
> >An antique cast iron genuine Griswold
> >store display rack. Just the thing for
> >holding your collection, but only if
> >you're a $ERIOU$ collector.
> >
> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/120954034125

> But it only holds 3!!

I thought you had to be wrong. I judged it
from the photo to be maybe four feet high.
I thought pots would hang from the horizontal
bars using S-hooks.

Reading the listing, it's only two feet high
and a foot wide. You're right, it can only
hold three things.

And yet, with only three and a half hours to go,
bidding is over $1400! I'm very interested
to see what the final price will be.

Those Griswold collectors are even more
aggressive than I thought.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwishy stumbles through the darkness.

> Does each bid within the last
> 5 minutes extend the deadline 3-5 minutes?

Of course not, dumbass.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, July 30, 2012 6:46:57 PM UTC-4, George M. Middius wrote:
> sqwishy stumbles through the darkness.
>

> > Does each bid within the last

> > 5 minutes extend the deadline 3-5 minutes?

> Of course not, dumbass.

If he's the dumbass, what do we call you now? Retard?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2012 2:19 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> I don't Ebay, but what's to keep people from bidding $1 higher just
>> seconds before the end of the bidding? Does each bid within the last
>> 5 minutes extend the deadline 3-5 minutes?

> If eBay were like a traditional auction, it would,
> but it doesn't. An auction ends precisely when it's
> scheduled to end. In this respect, I think eBay
> auctions favor buyers over sellers.

You might be right about that. The only strategy that makes any sense to
me is to bid once at the final seconds of the auction. The first thing
you have to do is know what is the highest amount you're willing to pay
and use that figure - do that and you won't face any disappointments.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> I don't Ebay, but what's to keep people from bidding $1 higher just
> seconds before the end of the bidding? Does each bid within the last
> 5 minutes extend the deadline 3-5 minutes?

If eBay were like a traditional auction, it would,
but it doesn't. An auction ends precisely when it's
scheduled to end. In this respect, I think eBay
auctions favor buyers over sellers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> If that thing is a real $1400 now- and it looks like it probably is- I
> wouldn't be surprised if it went to $3-4k in the last minute of
> bidding. [and the final bidder will not be on the current bidders
> list] There is only *one* bid that counts in an auction.

Not an unreasonable guess, but it sold for $2649.96

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2012 5:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/30/2012 2:19 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't Ebay, but what's to keep people from bidding $1 higher just
>>> seconds before the end of the bidding? Does each bid within the last
>>> 5 minutes extend the deadline 3-5 minutes?

>> If eBay were like a traditional auction, it would,
>> but it doesn't. An auction ends precisely when it's
>> scheduled to end. In this respect, I think eBay
>> auctions favor buyers over sellers.
>>

> You might be right about that. The only strategy that makes any sense to
> me is to bid once at the final seconds of the auction. The first thing
> you have to do is know what is the highest amount you're willing to pay
> and use that figure - do that and you won't face any disappointments.

I've never used EBay but there is a computer program that lets you wait
until just seconds before the auction is over and submit a pre-limited
bid just over the current high bid. (I know an electronics geek who
uses it.)

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 30, 9:23*pm, gloria p > wrote:

> I've never used EBay but there is a computer program that lets you wait
> until just seconds before the auction is over and submit a pre-limited
> bid just over the current high bid. *(I know an electronics geek who
> uses it.)
>
> gloria p

E-snipe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2012 4:23 PM, gloria p wrote:

> I've never used EBay but there is a computer program that lets you wait
> until just seconds before the auction is over and submit a pre-limited
> bid just over the current high bid. (I know an electronics geek who
> uses it.)
>
> gloria p

The practice is called "sniping." I've never used one of those programs.
I like to do it the old fashioned way - with a watch and strategic
bidding. It's a pretty exciting sport. My heart is pumping fast at the
last seconds. - if you can imagine that. If I ever found a dead guy with
his computer on eBay with a stopwatch in front of him, it would be
obvious to me what happened to him. :-)

A lot of sellers don't like the practice but the best strategy to
counter this is to set a reserve price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:23:19 -0600, gloria p wrote:
>
> > I've never used EBay but there is a computer program that lets you wait
> > until just seconds before the auction is over and submit a pre-limited
> > bid just over the current high bid. (I know an electronics geek who
> > uses it.)

> It look likes the winning bid (by $50) came in 2 seconds before the
> second highest winning bid. So apparently that doesn't always work
> too well :-)

I've cut it even closer before. Once with zero seconds
as indicated by eBay (who rounds to seconds).

> If each consecutive higher bid would extend the auction at least a
> minute, these things would be much more competitive (and profitable).

That's how I'd do it if I designed eBay, but since
I always buy I'm not complaining. Not about that, anyway.
(I have many complaints about the way the user interface
keeps getting worse and more broken every time they change
the software.)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:23:19 -0600, gloria p wrote:

-snip-
>> I've never used EBay but there is a computer program that lets you wait
>> until just seconds before the auction is over and submit a pre-limited
>> bid just over the current high bid. (I know an electronics geek who
>> uses it.)

>It look likes the winning bid (by $50) came in 2 seconds before the
>second highest winning bid. So apparently that doesn't always work
>too well :-)

Since the last 2 bidders were not seen until the final minute- I
suspect that's exactly what they used. No sense in let anyone
know you're willing to pay top dollar too soon.

I didn't win every item when I used a sniper-- but it paid for itself
in the first auction-- and I never got caught up in the moment and
overbid anything.

>If each consecutive higher bid would extend the auction at least a
>minute, these things would be much more competitive (and profitable).

Since someone tried that method a few years ago and
I can't remember their name, and you've never heard about it-- it
apparently wasn't the best model. [today]

The best thing Ebay has going for it is a huge audience-- suckers are
born a minute apart and there just aren't enough of them.

There is enough stuff that sells above retail to make ebay an option
for smart sellers.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> I didn't win every item when I used a sniper-- but it paid for itself
> in the first auction-- and I never got caught up in the moment and
> overbid anything.

That does happen! I saw somebody keep bidding beyond what an item was
worth. In her mind, she already owned it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:01:23 -0800, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> The practice is called "sniping." I've never used one of those programs.
>> I like to do it the old fashioned way - with a watch and strategic
>> bidding. It's a pretty exciting sport. My heart is pumping fast at the
>> last seconds. - if you can imagine that. If I ever found a dead guy with
>> his computer on eBay with a stopwatch in front of him, it would be
>> obvious to me what happened to him. :-)

>My heart doesn't thump as much as it used to, but
>I still have a reaction in those last few seconds.
>Using an automatic program to do it would be like
>driving a car with an automatic tranmission.

I drive an automatic, too.<g> When I was ebaying a lot, I *never*
watched the end. I was after bargains and they were mostly had
with auctions that ended between 0300 and 0700 eastern time. I'm up
at 0500-- but don't feel like spilling my coffee while bidding.

Besides-- *I* know what something is worth to *me*. I don't care
what anybody else thinks it is worth.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> The practice is called "sniping." I've never used one of those programs.
> I like to do it the old fashioned way - with a watch and strategic
> bidding. It's a pretty exciting sport. My heart is pumping fast at the
> last seconds. - if you can imagine that. If I ever found a dead guy with
> his computer on eBay with a stopwatch in front of him, it would be
> obvious to me what happened to him. :-)

My heart doesn't thump as much as it used to, but
I still have a reaction in those last few seconds.
Using an automatic program to do it would be like
driving a car with an automatic tranmission.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2012 5:01 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> The practice is called "sniping." I've never used one of those programs.
>> I like to do it the old fashioned way - with a watch and strategic
>> bidding. It's a pretty exciting sport. My heart is pumping fast at the
>> last seconds. - if you can imagine that. If I ever found a dead guy with
>> his computer on eBay with a stopwatch in front of him, it would be
>> obvious to me what happened to him. :-)

> My heart doesn't thump as much as it used to, but
> I still have a reaction in those last few seconds.
> Using an automatic program to do it would be like
> driving a car with an automatic tranmission.

It like having a chauffeur in a drag race - with an automatic
transmission. :-)

You're right that it's not like the old days. Mostly I buy small stuff
these days and use the option to buy the item outright. OTOH, eBay is
the guitar lover's dream and bidding on a vintage guitar is guaranteed
to up your pulse. Sometimes unbearably so.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/30/2012 3:53 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:41:48 -0800, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> I thought you had to be wrong. I judged it
>> from the photo to be maybe four feet high.
>> I thought pots would hang from the horizontal
>> bars using S-hooks.
>>
>> Reading the listing, it's only two feet high
>> and a foot wide. You're right, it can only
>> hold three things.
>>
>> And yet, with only three and a half hours to go,
>> bidding is over $1400! I'm very interested
>> to see what the final price will be.
>>
>> Those Griswold collectors are even more
>> aggressive than I thought.

> I don't Ebay, but what's to keep people from bidding $1 higher just
> seconds before the end of the bidding? Does each bid within the last
> 5 minutes extend the deadline 3-5 minutes?

People can put in their highest bid and it will auto-update by
increments as each person bids and if your auto-update beats someone
elses auto-update in time, you win. In no way is the deadline extended.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/07/2012 10:21 AM, Mark Thorson wrote:
> Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>> If that thing is a real $1400 now- and it looks like it probably is- I
>> wouldn't be surprised if it went to $3-4k in the last minute of
>> bidding. [and the final bidder will not be on the current bidders
>> list] There is only *one* bid that counts in an auction.

> Not an unreasonable guess, but it sold for $2649.96

That's $2649.00 more than I'd have paid for it.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/08/2012 12:25 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 07:01:23 -0800, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> The practice is called "sniping." I've never used one of those programs.
>>> I like to do it the old fashioned way - with a watch and strategic
>>> bidding. It's a pretty exciting sport. My heart is pumping fast at the
>>> last seconds. - if you can imagine that. If I ever found a dead guy with
>>> his computer on eBay with a stopwatch in front of him, it would be
>>> obvious to me what happened to him. :-)

>> My heart doesn't thump as much as it used to, but
>> I still have a reaction in those last few seconds.
>> Using an automatic program to do it would be like
>> driving a car with an automatic tranmission.

> I drive an automatic, too.<g> When I was ebaying a lot, I *never*
> watched the end. I was after bargains and they were mostly had
> with auctions that ended between 0300 and 0700 eastern time. I'm up
> at 0500-- but don't feel like spilling my coffee while bidding.
>
> Besides-- *I* know what something is worth to *me*. I don't care
> what anybody else thinks it is worth.
>
> Jim

I find auctions that end sometime during the middle of a week day is
best. People have to work and they aren't always available to watch and
bid at those times. I've bought some NAS devices really cheap that way.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2012 8:10 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> The best thing Ebay has going for it is a huge audience-- suckers are
> born a minute apart and there just aren't enough of them.
>
> There is enough stuff that sells above retail to make ebay an option
> for smart sellers.

What I like about ebay are small parts you can't seem to get from
merchants, and some collectables. I have a collection of E Simonton
whom I just love her work of "tall cats". I have all of the sculpture
art she created and they create a definite theme in the corner where
they're displayed. Since I also have a quilt hand made by my mom with
cat images and Boyd's cats (not bears) as a pretty big collection of
gifts, the sculptures fit right in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2012 2:29 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> What good would a stopwatch do for you on eBay? So you could time the
> seconds between bids?
>
> You computer's BIOS and desktop clock, synchronized VIA NTP to one of
> the atomic clock services is the only necessary tool you need. Or is
> that too "old-school" for you, Mr. Stopwatch?
>
> Oh, that's right - Google doesn't have an NTP service...

I guess I've never bid against these people with external apps to bid
for them because I just use what's built into the auction and have won
things at the last seconds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/31/2012 2:03 PM, Krypsis wrote:

> I find auctions that end sometime during the middle of a week day is
> best. People have to work and they aren't always available to watch and
> bid at those times. I've bought some NAS devices really cheap that way.

You're a smart eBayer. Having a auction end at a dumb time when there's
not a lot of bidders around is another advantage. Those auctions tend to
be easier because I'm 5 to 2 hours behind the mainland. OTOH, sometimes
the auctions will end way early in the morning for me. Not good. I'm not
going to get up at 4 am for a toaster but I might for a guitar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 31/07/2012 12:56 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 13:28:16 -1000, dsi1 wrote:

>>> If eBay were like a traditional auction, it would,
>>> but it doesn't. An auction ends precisely when it's
>>> scheduled to end. In this respect, I think eBay
>>> auctions favor buyers over sellers.

> eBay would make more money the other way, but they may have more
> flakey bids that don't hold up (careless bidders). In the long run
> I'm sure they'd make more money.
>
>> You might be right about that. The only strategy that makes any sense to
>> me is to bid once at the final seconds of the auction. The first thing
>> you have to do is know what is the highest amount you're willing to pay
>> and use that figure - do that and you won't face any disappointments.

> But if you're willing to pay $2,600, then you're willing to pay
> $2,620, too. If you only had a few more seconds...
>
> -sw

As with ANY auction, you set your limits BEFOREHAND so don't get carried
away in the final frenzy. Once your limits are set, you stick with them.
I do my homework, I decide what an item is worth "to me" and bid
accordingly. Sure, I've missed out on some stuff I would have liked but
if the price is unreasonable, it's not worth bidding on. I've seen items
go for well over brand new price. Now tell me where the sense is in that?

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/08/2012 11:38 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 19:03:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

>>> People can put in their highest bid and it will auto-update by
>>> increments as each person bids and if your auto-update beats someone
>>> elses auto-update in time, you win. In no way is the deadline extended.

>> Oh, OK. Nobody mentioned that. Will all the bidders autobids be
>> processed in the last few seconds until somebody's high bid wins? Or
>> is it still possible to lose to somebody with a lower bid than your
>> autobid maximum?

> It is rare, but it does [or used to] happen that all your auto bids
> don't get processed.
>
> The snipers work the same way. If I tell it to bid $10 but all that
> is needed is $5.50- that's what it will bid. [and repeat if needed and
> there is time]
>
> Jim

I don't use Snipers but I bid in the last 2 or 3 seconds. It's possible
to do that with very fast broadband. I open a second window in which I
place the bid and watch the countdown in the first window. At the very
last moment, I flick back to the bidding window and hit the bid
confirmation. Managed to get myself a very nice MacPro a few months
back. My old Powermac G5 was getting long in the tooth and a more recent
replacement was looking like $4,000 new. Wasn't worth paying that much
for something I might only use for a year or so. Saw this MacPro on EBay
so I thought, what the heck, I'll put a bid on it. The owner didn't know
what it was and had minimal info on the EBay ad, just a model number and
a few pics. That model number. A1186, was all I needed to know just what
it was and the pics showed that it had been a server in a graphics
design studio and was in good nick. I put a max bid of $912.50 on it and
got it for $911. If the next highest bidder had put in just $2.50 more,
he'd have won it. Since it was located in a suburb just a few kilometres
from here, I drove down and picked it up. It weighs a ton! When I got it
home, I removed all the server software from it, did a fresh OS install,
doubled the RAM to 8GB and put in 4 x 2 TB hard disks. It is running
Dual Quadcore Xeon processors at 2.8 GHz (total 8 cores) and, for my
usage, never seems to load up above 15% so it's way overkill for my
needs. It is very nice to use however and will probably see me out. I
suppose I might just put my 8 year old G5 PowerMac on EBay and pass it
along to someone who might find it useful.

;-)

--

Krypsis