Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Green beans

A friend of mine gave me some fresh green beans from her garden
yesterday. These are mature green beans, meaning they have gotten to
the stage where the bean has formed in the pod and the pod is no
longer pencil thin and smooth....it's fat and lumpy with the bean.

We all know these will be less tender and less sweet. I haven't had
any mature green beans for years, don't have a garden and when I buy
them at the market I always buy the young and tender ones.

so.......I'm going to cook them the old granny Southern way we used to
cook mature green beans when I was growing up. Long and slow.
These will be the type of green beans that a lot of people think about
who believe that Southerners overcook their vegetables. Of course
that's not true. We cook young green beans quickly and serve them
still tender crisp. But these older beans are going to be tender and
silky with a flavor that is out of this world.

I'll take off the 'strings', snap them into about 2" long pieces.

In my heavy pot I'll fry thin slices of 'fatback' or salt pork till
rendered and crispy. Then I'll add some good chicken stock, the green
beans and some chopped onion and let that
simmer for about an hour. Then I'll add some very small new red
potatoes, whole, to the pot and let it simmer till the potatoes are
completely tender. Salt and black pepper to taste. No, the beans
won't cook till mush. They will be silky tender and have a flavor
unlike you've ever had from green beans. And there will be this
fabulous 'pot liquor' as a bonus. I like to put the 'pot liquor'
over cornbread.

If you have never tried mature green beans this way, well, you've
missed out. If you get your hands on some mature green beans try
this. You will not be disappointed.

I'll post pictures later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-07-28, ImStillMags > wrote:

> still tender crisp. But these older beans are going to be tender and
> silky with a flavor that is out of this world.

A Southern classic, to be sure, but yer not kidding anyone with that
term "silky".

nb

--
"I didn't know I worked here.
I must've forgot my apron"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

> In my heavy pot I'll fry thin slices of 'fatback' or salt pork till
> rendered and crispy. Then I'll add some good chicken stock, the green
> beans and some chopped onion and let that
> simmer for about an hour. Then I'll add some very small new red
> potatoes, whole, to the pot and let it simmer till the potatoes are
> completely tender.

I'll be there as soon as I can! :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 07:46:13 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>A friend of mine gave me some fresh green beans from her garden
>yesterday. These are mature green beans, meaning they have gotten to
>the stage where the bean has formed in the pod and the pod is no
>longer pencil thin and smooth....it's fat and lumpy with the bean.
>
>We all know these will be less tender and less sweet. I haven't had
>any mature green beans for years, don't have a garden and when I buy
>them at the market I always buy the young and tender ones.
>
>so.......I'm going to cook them the old granny Southern way we used to
>cook mature green beans when I was growing up. Long and slow.
>These will be the type of green beans that a lot of people think about
>who believe that Southerners overcook their vegetables. Of course
>that's not true. We cook young green beans quickly and serve them
>still tender crisp. But these older beans are going to be tender and
>silky with a flavor that is out of this world.
>
>I'll take off the 'strings', snap them into about 2" long pieces.
>
>In my heavy pot I'll fry thin slices of 'fatback' or salt pork till
>rendered and crispy. Then I'll add some good chicken stock, the green
>beans and some chopped onion and let that
>simmer for about an hour. Then I'll add some very small new red
>potatoes, whole, to the pot and let it simmer till the potatoes are
>completely tender. Salt and black pepper to taste. No, the beans
>won't cook till mush. They will be silky tender and have a flavor
>unlike you've ever had from green beans. And there will be this
>fabulous 'pot liquor' as a bonus. I like to put the 'pot liquor'
>over cornbread.
>
>If you have never tried mature green beans this way, well, you've
>missed out. If you get your hands on some mature green beans try
>this. You will not be disappointed.
>

>I'll post pictures later.

Some years I get so many green beans I tire of picking so I'll miss a
couple three days so some over mature, often I'll pick five to ten
pounds a day for a month. I give most away, at least try to. But
when sorting those I keep there are always some that are too mature.
I'll string them, cut them into one inch lengths, and freeze them. I
like to add those to the beef stews and vegetable soups I cook in
winter. The young ones I like to stirfry and add raw to tossed
salad... those skinny 2" long ones are great pickled, I can eat a
quart jar full at a sitting, and then use the pickling liquid for the
next batch. I love pickled veggies, I don't like cooked pickles, I
prefer the fermented method. This year I planted some Chinese long
beans.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:50:11 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

snip
This year I planted some Chinese long
>beans.

Let me know how those work out -- if you needed some special
trellising or whatever, if there is some special way to tell if they
are ready for picking -- you know, gardener stuff. I've been looking
at those seeds for a couple of years now and am thinking of trying
next year. Thanks
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:09:49 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:50:11 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>snip
> This year I planted some Chinese long
>>beans.

>Let me know how those work out -- if you needed some special
>trellising or whatever, if there is some special way to tell if they
>are ready for picking -- you know, gardener stuff. I've been looking
>at those seeds for a couple of years now and am thinking of trying
>next year. Thanks
>Janet US

They are also known as asparagus beans, yard long beans, Chinese
beans, among other names. There are a lot of different varieties of
them, but I find they do not taste or cook up like regular green
beans, even though the seed packs say they do. They need a bit more
cooking and are a bit tougher...good, mind you, quite good, but
different. I've tried picking them at various times of growth to see
if that makes a diff, but it doesn't.

They do not flower until they are QUITE tall, but once they start
fruiting they get going like mad and the wasps love the flowers.

I usually get my seeds from an Asian market nearby, but check out the
different kinds he

http://www.evergreenseeds.com/asbeanyarbea.html

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 28, 10:25*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:

They need a bit more cooking and are a bit tougher...good, mind you,
quite good, but
> different.

Excellent beans for the old Southern methodology.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jul 28, 7:51*am, notbob > wrote:
> On 2012-07-28, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > still tender crisp. *But these older beans are going to be tender and
> > silky with a flavor that is out of this world.

> A Southern classic, to be sure, but yer not kidding anyone with that
> term "silky". *
>
> nb
>
> --
> "I didn't know I worked here.
> I must've forgot my apron"
> Support labelling GMO foodshttp://www.nongmoproject.org/

They are silky, unless you cook them to mush which you should not do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 07:46:13 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> If you have never tried mature green beans this way, well, you've
> missed out. If you get your hands on some mature green beans try
> this. You will not be disappointed.
>

> I'll post pictures later.

Sounds good, but I'd rather that you made it for me!

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImStillMags View Post
so.......I'm going to cook them the old granny Southern way we used to
cook mature green beans when I was growing up. Long and slow.
These will be the type of green beans that a lot of people think about
who believe that Southerners overcook their vegetables. Of course
that's not true. We cook young green beans quickly and serve them
still tender crisp. But these older beans are going to be tender and
silky with a flavor that is out of this world.
I can remember my grandmother cooking her green beans like that, the only thing she did that you didn't mention was fix corn meal dumplings. But, I preferred the corn bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:25:42 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:09:49 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:50:11 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>snip
>> This year I planted some Chinese long
>>>beans.

>>Let me know how those work out -- if you needed some special
>>trellising or whatever, if there is some special way to tell if they
>>are ready for picking -- you know, gardener stuff. I've been looking
>>at those seeds for a couple of years now and am thinking of trying
>>next year. Thanks
>>Janet US

>They are also known as asparagus beans, yard long beans, Chinese
>beans, among other names. There are a lot of different varieties of
>them, but I find they do not taste or cook up like regular green
>beans, even though the seed packs say they do. They need a bit more
>cooking and are a bit tougher...good, mind you, quite good, but
>different. I've tried picking them at various times of growth to see
>if that makes a diff, but it doesn't.
>
>They do not flower until they are QUITE tall, but once they start
>fruiting they get going like mad and the wasps love the flowers.
>
>I usually get my seeds from an Asian market nearby, but check out the
>different kinds he
>
>http://www.evergreenseeds.com/asbeanyarbea.html
>
>Boron

Good stuff to know. Thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2012 10:46 AM, ImStillMags wrote:
> A friend of mine gave me some fresh green beans from her garden
> yesterday. These are mature green beans, meaning they have gotten to
> the stage where the bean has formed in the pod and the pod is no
> longer pencil thin and smooth....it's fat and lumpy with the bean.
>
> We all know these will be less tender and less sweet. I haven't had
> any mature green beans for years, don't have a garden and when I buy
> them at the market I always buy the young and tender ones.
>
> so.......I'm going to cook them the old granny Southern way we used to
> cook mature green beans when I was growing up. Long and slow.
> These will be the type of green beans that a lot of people think about
> who believe that Southerners overcook their vegetables. Of course
> that's not true. We cook young green beans quickly and serve them
> still tender crisp. But these older beans are going to be tender and
> silky with a flavor that is out of this world.
>
> I'll take off the 'strings', snap them into about 2" long pieces.
>
> In my heavy pot I'll fry thin slices of 'fatback' or salt pork till
> rendered and crispy. Then I'll add some good chicken stock, the green
> beans and some chopped onion and let that
> simmer for about an hour. Then I'll add some very small new red
> potatoes, whole, to the pot and let it simmer till the potatoes are
> completely tender. Salt and black pepper to taste. No, the beans
> won't cook till mush. They will be silky tender and have a flavor
> unlike you've ever had from green beans. And there will be this
> fabulous 'pot liquor' as a bonus. I like to put the 'pot liquor'
> over cornbread.
>
> If you have never tried mature green beans this way, well, you've
> missed out. If you get your hands on some mature green beans try
> this. You will not be disappointed.
>

> I'll post pictures later.

Sounds good to me! I think with older green beans I'd make them bacon
wrapped and roasted. Since it takes longer to cook bacon than normally
takes to cook beans, they'd be cooked to softer that way. However you
make them, enjoy the fresh ones!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:09:49 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:50:11 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
>snip
> This year I planted some Chinese long
>>beans.

>Let me know how those work out -- if you needed some special
>trellising or whatever, if there is some special way to tell if they
>are ready for picking -- you know, gardener stuff. I've been looking
>at those seeds for a couple of years now and am thinking of trying
>next year. Thanks
>Janet US

I'll post pictures when they are ready to pick. I planted them up
against a turkey wire fence, they're on their own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:46:13 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:09:49 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 12:50:11 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>>
>>snip
>> This year I planted some Chinese long
>>>beans.

>>Let me know how those work out -- if you needed some special
>>trellising or whatever, if there is some special way to tell if they
>>are ready for picking -- you know, gardener stuff. I've been looking
>>at those seeds for a couple of years now and am thinking of trying
>>next year. Thanks
>>Janet US

>I'll post pictures when they are ready to pick. I planted them up
>against a turkey wire fence, they're on their own.

thanks. I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Green beans w/pictures

On Jul 28, 3:19*pm, Cheryl > wrote:

> > I'll post pictures later.

> Sounds good to me! *I think with older green beans I'd make them bacon
> wrapped and roasted. Since it takes longer to cook bacon than normally
> takes to cook beans, they'd be cooked to softer that way. *However you
> make them, enjoy the fresh ones!

Here are the pictures. You can start at the beginning and click
through them.
Boy are they good !!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...75051106442898

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2012 8:08 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jul 28, 3:19 pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>>> I'll post pictures later.

>> Sounds good to me! I think with older green beans I'd make them bacon
>> wrapped and roasted. Since it takes longer to cook bacon than normally
>> takes to cook beans, they'd be cooked to softer that way. However you
>> make them, enjoy the fresh ones!

> Here are the pictures. You can start at the beginning and click
> through them.
> Boy are they good !!!
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...75051106442898

They sure look good to me!! I'd eat them!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 17:08:51 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jul 28, 3:19*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> > I'll post pictures later.

>> Sounds good to me! *I think with older green beans I'd make them bacon
>> wrapped and roasted. Since it takes longer to cook bacon than normally
>> takes to cook beans, they'd be cooked to softer that way. *However you
>> make them, enjoy the fresh ones!

>Here are the pictures. You can start at the beginning and click
>through them.
>Boy are they good !!!
>
>https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...75051106442898

they look seriously good!
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 10:36:45 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jul 28, 10:25*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
> They need a bit more cooking and are a bit tougher...good, mind you,
>quite good, but
>> different.

>Excellent beans for the old Southern methodology.

I was thinking that very same thing as I read your post.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Jul 28, 3:19 pm, Cheryl > wrote:
>
>> > I'll post pictures later.

>> Sounds good to me! I think with older green beans I'd make them bacon
>> wrapped and roasted. Since it takes longer to cook bacon than normally
>> takes to cook beans, they'd be cooked to softer that way. However you
>> make them, enjoy the fresh ones!

> Here are the pictures. You can start at the beginning and click
> through them.
> Boy are they good !!!
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...75051106442898

Porkalishusness eh? )) I love it

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/28/2012 7:08 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

> Here are the pictures. You can start at the beginning and click
> through them.
> Boy are they good !!!
>
> https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...75051106442898

This looks wonderful, and I wish I was there.

Becca

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ema Nymton View Post
On 7/28/2012 7:08 PM, ImStillMags wrote:

Here are the pictures. You can start at the beginning and click
through them.
Boy are they good !!!

https://picasaweb.google.com/Sitara8...75051106442898

This looks wonderful, and I wish I was there.

Becca
They look perfect. Enjoy every bite.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 28, 9:46*am, ImStillMags > wrote:

> A friend of mine gave me some fresh green beans from her garden
> yesterday. * These are mature green beans, meaning they have gotten to
> the stage where the bean has formed in the pod and the pod is no
> longer pencil thin and smooth....it's fat and lumpy with the bean.
>
> I'll add some good chicken stock, the green
> beans and some chopped onion and let that
> simmer for about an hour.
>
> If you have never tried mature green beans this way, * well, you've
> missed out. * If you get your hands on some mature green beans try
> this. *You will not be disappointed.
>
> I'll post pictures later.

I've never had green beans cooked in chicken stock nor with chopped
onions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 28, 9:46*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
> A friend of mine gave me some fresh green beans from her garden
> yesterday. * These are mature green beans, meaning they have gotten to
> the stage where the bean has formed in the pod and the pod is no
> longer pencil thin and smooth....it's fat and lumpy with the bean.
>
> We all know these will be less tender and less sweet. * I haven't had
> any mature green beans for years, don't have a garden and when I buy
> them at the market I always buy the young and tender ones.
>
> so.......I'm going to cook them the old granny Southern way we used to
> cook mature green beans when I was growing up. * *Long and slow.
> These will be the type of green beans that a lot of people think about
> who believe that Southerners overcook their vegetables.

I love green beans cooked "long and slow," with crumbled crispy fried
bacon and cracked black pepper added a half hour or so before
serving. I like carrots well done as well, buttery tender.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Jul 2012 17:09:35 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Jul 28, 9:46*am, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> A friend of mine gave me some fresh green beans from her garden
>> yesterday. * These are mature green beans, meaning they have gotten to
>> the stage where the bean has formed in the pod and the pod is no
>> longer pencil thin and smooth....it's fat and lumpy with the bean.
>>
>> We all know these will be less tender and less sweet. * I haven't had
>> any mature green beans for years, don't have a garden and when I buy
>> them at the market I always buy the young and tender ones.
>>
>> so.......I'm going to cook them the old granny Southern way we used to
>> cook mature green beans when I was growing up. * *Long and slow.
>> These will be the type of green beans that a lot of people think about
>> who believe that Southerners overcook their vegetables.

>I love green beans cooked "long and slow," with crumbled crispy fried
>bacon and cracked black pepper added a half hour or so before
>serving. I like carrots well done as well, buttery tender.

That's right, how can I forget, you earn your living gumming. LOL