Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT - my apologies; insurance company question before surgery

I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
not to do that but I failed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 19:02:27 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>not to do that but I failed.

I'd think your doctor would have already received approval from your
insurance company or they'd not have schedualed your surgery. Just
call, it's probably something silly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>not to do that but I failed.

I got a call checking to see if the procedure was work related. They
simply wanted to be sure that they coded the surgery, et. al,
correctly. As Sheldon says, I'll bet that the doctor's office and
hospital has already gotten approval and it is just some silly
question. Good Luck with everything, kiddo.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2012 7:30 PM, Janet Bostwick wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 19:02:27 -0400, Cheryl >
> wrote:
>
>> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>> trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>> not to do that but I failed.

> I got a call checking to see if the procedure was work related. They
> simply wanted to be sure that they coded the surgery, et. al,
> correctly. As Sheldon says, I'll bet that the doctor's office and
> hospital has already gotten approval and it is just some silly
> question. Good Luck with everything, kiddo.
> Janet US

You both are probably right and I'm just being paranoid. I've been
watching my sister go through so much bs with her insurance company for
her cancer surgery and now for supplies she's going to need for the rest
of her life. She is recovering from colorectal cancer and had her entire
rectum and large intestine removed. Poor kid.

Thank you both.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cheryl > wrote:

> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
> trying to see if this is necessary.

Why would they ask you if the surgery is necessary? If that's what it's about,
they would have already put it thru a review process and just told you they are
declining coverage. They undoubtedly want to make sure they have your correct
mailing address or something of the sort.

I'll call my surgeon's office in
> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
> not to do that but I failed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Why would they ask you if the surgery is necessary? If that's what it's about,
> they would have already put it thru a review process and just told you they are
> declining coverage. They undoubtedly want to make sure they have your correct
> mailing address or something of the sort.

I don't know. I'm just envisioning some sort of trick questions or
something. Like I said, I'm probably just being paranoid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2012 7:56 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 19:02:27 -0400, Cheryl wrote:
>
>> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>> trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>> not to do that but I failed.

> It's you doctors responsibility to justify the necessity of the
> operation to the insurance company. The less you say the better -
> name, rank, and serial number.

That's what I'm thinking, too. I've been involved in enough security
audits at work to know not to volunteer information. I just have to
carry that mindset to this phone call assuming they're going to ask me
something they should be asking the surgeon's office. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Call, face the music, be honest in your reply and concentrate on healing and getting well again, no matter what. Good luck and speedy recovery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2012 9:25 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> Call, face the music, be honest in your reply and concentrate on healing and getting well again, no matter what. Good luck and speedy recovery.

Thanks. I'm not trying to get over on anyone, and the surgery has a
really good prognosis according to my surgeon (of COURSE he'll say that,
but I have to believe him). I'm just leery of insurance companies these
days.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
> On 7/23/2012 9:25 PM, Kalmia wrote:
>> Call, face the music, be honest in your reply and concentrate on healing
>> and getting well again, no matter what. Good luck and speedy recovery.
>>

> Thanks. I'm not trying to get over on anyone, and the surgery has a
> really good prognosis according to my surgeon (of COURSE he'll say that,
> but I have to believe him). I'm just leery of insurance companies these
> days.

Insurance companies are at their most dangerous and
harmful if they find out that you misrepresented anything,
inadvertedly or not. Be cautious but be very honest. And
do call your doctor's office first, just to get their version of
what might be asked. They know the insurers very well.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2012 11:25 PM, pavane wrote:

> Insurance companies are at their most dangerous and
> harmful if they find out that you misrepresented anything,
> inadvertedly or not. Be cautious but be very honest. And
> do call your doctor's office first, just to get their version of
> what might be asked. They know the insurers very well.

Good advice. I will do so. Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/23/2012 7:02 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
> trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
> not to do that but I failed.

No reason at all for me to be paranoid. They just wanted to make sure I
didn't have any questions prior to my surgery, and if I had any special
needs at home once I'm released. She also said she's going to check on
me after I get home to see if I needed anything. How nice is that?
The whole thing is approved.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 11:25:10 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 7/23/2012 7:02 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>> trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>> not to do that but I failed.

>No reason at all for me to be paranoid. They just wanted to make sure I
>didn't have any questions prior to my surgery, and if I had any special
>needs at home once I'm released. She also said she's going to check on
>me after I get home to see if I needed anything. How nice is that?
> The whole thing is approved.

Darn! That's really nice.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 7/23/2012 7:02 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>> trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>> not to do that but I failed.

> No reason at all for me to be paranoid. They just wanted to make sure I
> didn't have any questions prior to my surgery, and if I had any special
> needs at home once I'm released. She also said she's going to check on me
> after I get home to see if I needed anything. How nice is that? The
> whole thing is approved.

Hope all goes well, Cheryl!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 7/23/2012 7:02 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>> trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>> not to do that but I failed.

> No reason at all for me to be paranoid. They just wanted to make sure I
> didn't have any questions prior to my surgery, and if I had any special
> needs at home once I'm released. She also said she's going to check on me
> after I get home to see if I needed anything. How nice is that? The
> whole thing is approved.

Good for them and good for you. Best of luck.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2012 10:25 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 7/23/2012 7:02 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>> trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>> not to do that but I failed.

> No reason at all for me to be paranoid. They just wanted to make sure I
> didn't have any questions prior to my surgery, and if I had any special
> needs at home once I'm released. She also said she's going to check on
> me after I get home to see if I needed anything. How nice is that?
> The whole thing is approved.

Hope all goes well, Cheryl, and that you have a speedy recovery.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/24/2012 1:36 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 7/24/2012 10:25 AM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 7/23/2012 7:02 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>>> I know, I know, I shouldn't post this stuff here but I don't know where
>>> else to ask in a hurry. I'm scheduled to have surgery on Friday and I
>>> had a voice mail message to call back my insurance company tomorrow
>>> morning. I'm wondering what they're going to ask as I'm sure they're
>>> trying to see if this is necessary. I'll call my surgeon's office in
>>> the morning too, before I call back the insurance company and if that's
>>> the only good advice there is, no need to bother the group with this.
>>> Any other thoughts? TIA and again, I'm sorry for the OT. I'm trying
>>> not to do that but I failed.

>> No reason at all for me to be paranoid. They just wanted to make sure I
>> didn't have any questions prior to my surgery, and if I had any special
>> needs at home once I'm released. She also said she's going to check on
>> me after I get home to see if I needed anything. How nice is that?
>> The whole thing is approved.
>>

> Hope all goes well, Cheryl, and that you have a speedy recovery.

Thank you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:

> No reason at all for me to be paranoid. They just wanted to make sure I
> didn't have any questions prior to my surgery, and if I had any special
> needs at home once I'm released. She also said she's going to check on
> me after I get home to see if I needed anything. How nice is that?
> The whole thing is approved.

Great news, Cheryl. We'll be thinking of you on Friday! :-D