FoodBanter.com

-   -   Sweet potato fries (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/418916-sweet-potato-fries.html)

Gary 17-07-2012 11:15 PM

Sweet potato fries

Never had them before but after hearing that Burger King now offers them, I
decided to try them. They sound good.

I went to the grocery store on Saturday and I was going to walk across the
street to Burger King to try some. Instead, I just bought one sweet potato
to make them at home.

I just cut one up and fried it and while draining I put on some salt and
pepper.

YUM! Good stuff.

Guess I'll still try the BK ones sometime soon to compare.

Gary

Chemo the Clown[_2_] 17-07-2012 11:19 PM

Sweet potato fries

On Jul 17, 3:15*pm, Gary > wrote:
> Never had them before but after hearing that Burger King now offers them, I
> decided to try them. They sound good.
>
> I went to the grocery store on Saturday and I was going to walk across the
> street to Burger King to try some. *Instead, I just bought one sweet potato
> to make them at home.
>
> I just cut one up and fried it and while draining I put on some salt and
> pepper.
>
> YUM! *Good stuff.
>
> Guess I'll still try the BK ones sometime soon to compare.
>
> Gary

I'm sure yours would be better plus no crap in them.

John Kuthe[_2_] 17-07-2012 11:26 PM

Sweet potato fries

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:15:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Never had them before but after hearing that Burger King now offers them, I
>decided to try them. They sound good.
>
>I went to the grocery store on Saturday and I was going to walk across the
>street to Burger King to try some. Instead, I just bought one sweet potato
>to make them at home.
>
>I just cut one up and fried it and while draining I put on some salt and
>pepper.
>
>YUM! Good stuff.
>
>Guess I'll still try the BK ones sometime soon to compare.
>
>Gary

I get the sweet potato fries at Pappy's Smokehouse BBQ here in STL:

http://www.pappyssmokehouse.com/Menu.php

YUM!!! And Pappy's has some of the best smoked ribs too! Can't speak
to anything eklse they make cause I always get the ribs!

John Kuthe...

sf[_9_] 17-07-2012 11:50 PM

Sweet potato fries

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:15:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> Guess I'll still try the BK ones sometime soon to compare.

You can buy them frozen at Trader Joe's too.

Jim Elbrecht 17-07-2012 11:52 PM

Sweet potato fries

Gary > wrote:

>Never had them before but after hearing that Burger King now offers them, I
>decided to try them. They sound good.
>
>I went to the grocery store on Saturday and I was going to walk across the
>street to Burger King to try some. Instead, I just bought one sweet potato
>to make them at home.
>
>I just cut one up and fried it and while draining I put on some salt and
>pepper.
>
>YUM! Good stuff.

We mostly do either sweet potato or those Okinowan Sweet potatoes for
fries. I prefer the Okinowans- my son likes the sweet potatoes.

Lately I've been soaking them in a strong brine for an hour or two-
then drying well before frying. No more salt needed. [for me,
anyway]

The brine is- 2 quarts of water, a cup of salt-- a cup of white
vinegar if I'm in the mood. I put a plate on them to hold them down.
[1/2"x1/2" fries]

Jim

Gloria P 18-07-2012 03:22 AM

Sweet potato fries

On 7/17/2012 4:15 PM, Gary wrote:
> Never had them before but after hearing that Burger King now offers them, I
> decided to try them. They sound good.
>
> I went to the grocery store on Saturday and I was going to walk across the
> street to Burger King to try some. Instead, I just bought one sweet potato
> to make them at home.
>
> I just cut one up and fried it and while draining I put on some salt and
> pepper.
>
> YUM! Good stuff.
>
> Guess I'll still try the BK ones sometime soon to compare.
>
> Gary

Homemade: tossed lightly with olive oil and your favorite spice blend
and baked till tender are healthier and delicious.

gloria p

z z 18-07-2012 04:10 AM

Sweet potato fries

try a bag of crinkle cut sweet potatoe fries from the freezer section at
the grocery store and bake-excellent!

sf[_9_] 18-07-2012 04:26 AM

Sweet potato fries

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:52:43 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> We mostly do either sweet potato or those Okinowan Sweet potatoes for
> fries. I prefer the Okinowans- my son likes the sweet potatoes.

Are those the white ones? I just started buying them recently and
they taste great.... but real sweet potatoes are still "orange" to me.
:)

gregz 18-07-2012 05:04 AM

Sweet potato fries

Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:23:16 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

>>> You can buy them frozen at Trader Joe's too.

>> There is also a McCain brand of frozen Sweet Potato Fries widely available
>> in supermarkets here (STL)

> Alexia is the sweet potato brand I see around here, 3-4 different
> varieties/flavors. I picked up a bag today. And put it right back
> down. I've never had a sweet potato fry that was decent. They are
> always limper and lack the crispness of true french fries - even from
> the restaurants I've tried.
>
> -sw

True French fries are pretty limp. After they sit, they really get limp.
If you could figure how McDonald's manufactures theirs, you could make
crisp sweet potato fries. I don't remember what the consistency was of the
sweet ones I ad, but I preferred regular potatoes.

Greg

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-07-2012 05:16 AM

Sweet potato fries

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:15:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Guess I'll still try the BK ones sometime soon to compare.

> You can buy them frozen at Trader Joe's too.

Or any grocery store.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-07-2012 05:17 AM

Sweet potato fries

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 00:23:16 GMT, l, not -l wrote:

>>> You can buy them frozen at Trader Joe's too.

>> There is also a McCain brand of frozen Sweet Potato Fries widely
>> available
>> in supermarkets here (STL)

> Alexia is the sweet potato brand I see around here, 3-4 different
> varieties/flavors. I picked up a bag today. And put it right back
> down. I've never had a sweet potato fry that was decent. They are
> always limper and lack the crispness of true french fries - even from
> the restaurants I've tried.

I bought those for my daughter. Although she liked them, she said the
restaurant kind are better. Perhaps the difference being that they fry
them. I bake them in the oven. No doubt they are probably the same brand.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-07-2012 05:18 AM

Sweet potato fries

"gregz" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> There is also a McCain brand of frozen Sweet Potato Fries widely
>>> available
>>> in supermarkets here (STL)

>> Alexia is the sweet potato brand I see around here, 3-4 different
>> varieties/flavors. I picked up a bag today. And put it right back
>> down. I've never had a sweet potato fry that was decent. They are
>> always limper and lack the crispness of true french fries - even from
>> the restaurants I've tried.
>>
>> -sw

> True French fries are pretty limp. After they sit, they really get limp.
> If you could figure how McDonald's manufactures theirs, you could make
> crisp sweet potato fries. I don't remember what the consistency was of the
> sweet ones I ad, but I preferred regular potatoes.

McDonald's adds stuff that you wouldn't normally want. There is beef, wheat
and milk in the fries. Some places use a sugar spray coating on them to
keep them crisp.

Ed Pawlowski 18-07-2012 10:54 AM

Sweet potato fries

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 22:18:18 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>Alexia is the sweet potato brand I see around here, 3-4 different
>varieties/flavors. I picked up a bag today. And put it right back
>down. I've never had a sweet potato fry that was decent. They are
>always limper and lack the crispness of true french fries - even from
>the restaurants I've tried.
>
>-sw

The ones at BK are crispier than most, but I bet they are coated with
something to make them that way. Still not a crispy as a regular
potato though; just not the right chemical composition.

Jim Elbrecht 18-07-2012 12:23 PM

Sweet potato fries

On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:26:42 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:52:43 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>
>> We mostly do either sweet potato or those Okinowan Sweet potatoes for
>> fries. I prefer the Okinowans- my son likes the sweet potatoes.

>Are those the white ones? I just started buying them recently and
>they taste great

Red on the outside- 'off white'(?) on the inside. Shaped like a sweet
potato, not a Idaho red. Ever-so-slightly sweet.

>.... but real sweet potatoes are still "orange" to me.
>:)

I agree. And while I won't call sweet potatoes 'Yam' - even
when the market does- I stick with what they call those potatoes from
Okinawa.

Jim

sf[_9_] 18-07-2012 04:13 PM

Sweet potato fries

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:23:55 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 20:26:42 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
> >On Tue, 17 Jul 2012 18:52:43 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> We mostly do either sweet potato or those Okinowan Sweet potatoes for
> >> fries. I prefer the Okinowans- my son likes the sweet potatoes.

> >Are those the white ones? I just started buying them recently and
> >they taste great

> Red on the outside- 'off white'(?) on the inside. Shaped like a sweet
> potato, not a Idaho red. Ever-so-slightly sweet.

Yes they're "sweet potato" shaped, but the "white" ones available
where I shop are brown on the outside.

> >.... but real sweet potatoes are still "orange" to me.
> >:)

> I agree. And while I won't call sweet potatoes 'Yam' - even
> when the market does- I stick with what they call those potatoes from
> Okinawa.

Guess I haven't seen them after all, not familiar with anything called
"Okinawa". They're labeled by what color the flesh is and it doesn't
get any fancier than that.

Jim Elbrecht 18-07-2012 04:22 PM

Sweet potato fries

sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 07:23:55 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:

-snip-
>> Red on the outside- 'off white'(?) on the inside. Shaped like a sweet
>> potato, not a Idaho red. Ever-so-slightly sweet.

>Yes they're "sweet potato" shaped, but the "white" ones available
>where I shop are brown on the outside.
>>
>> >.... but real sweet potatoes are still "orange" to me.
>> >:)

>> I agree. And while I won't call sweet potatoes 'Yam' - even
>> when the market does- I stick with what they call those potatoes from
>> Okinawa.
>>

>Guess I haven't seen them after all, not familiar with anything called
>"Okinawa". They're labeled by what color the flesh is and it doesn't
>get any fancier than that.

Brain fart alert-- The potatoes I get at the Asian market-- and have
seen in the supermarket once or twice are the *Japanese* sweet
potatoes.

The Okinawan sweet potatoes are brown on the outside and bright purple
inside-- I haven't found them yet. [But they must be on my mind as
I've made the same mistake before.]

Jim

Doug Freyburger 18-07-2012 05:04 PM

Sweet potato fries

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> sf > wrote:
>
>>.... but real sweet potatoes are still "orange" to me.
>>:)

> I agree. And while I won't call sweet potatoes 'Yam' - even
> when the market does- I stick with what they call those potatoes from
> Okinawa.

I've still never seen true yam in a store. Very much a specialty item
but I do expect to see it as Whole Foods or somewhere at some point.