Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You ever get a fortune cookie that did not have the fortune inside?

I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
soon"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 11:15*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:

> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>
> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> soon"

How would I know if I ever get a fortune cookie with no fortune
inside? I always leave them on the table, unopened, when I leave.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

It means that the gods are too afraid to tell you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> It means that the gods are too afraid to tell you.

But isn't the point of the FC the message inside? Without the message, the
fortune cookie should eat itself.

I had this happen once before a few years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>> Somebody wrote:
>>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

>> It means that the gods are too afraid to tell you.

> But isn't the point of the FC the message inside?

Normally, but if the news is grave enough it is left out. By leaving the cookie
intact but empty, you at least know it's something very bad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>>>
>>> It means that the gods are too afraid to tell you.

>> But isn't the point of the FC the message inside?

> Normally, but if the news is grave enough it is left out. By leaving the
> cookie intact but empty, you at least know it's something very bad.

I have a job interview tomorrow. What are you saying?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>> Somebody wrote:

>>> But isn't the point of the FC the message inside?

>> Normally, but if the news is grave enough it is left out. By leaving
>> the cookie intact but empty, you at least know it's something very
>> bad.

> I have a job interview tomorrow. What are you saying?

Possibly that things will go so badly that you will assault the interviewer, and
things will descend from there.

No, you'll be fine. I made it all up :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>>>
>>> It means that the gods are too afraid to tell you.

>> But isn't the point of the FC the message inside?

> Normally, but if the news is grave enough it is left out. By leaving the
> cookie intact but empty, you at least know it's something very bad.

I'm going with this:

SCORPIO (Oct. 23-Nov. 21): "Life always gives us exactly the teacher we
need at every moment," said Zen teacher Charlotte Joko Beck. "This
includes every mosquito, every misfortune, every red light, every traffic
jam, every obnoxious supervisor (or employee), every illness, every loss,
every moment of joy or depression, every addiction, every piece of
garbage, every breath." While I appreciate Beck's advice, I'm perplexed
why she put such a heavy emphasis on lessons that arise from difficult
events. In the weeks ahead, you'll be proof that this is shortsighted. Your
teachers are likely to be expansive, benevolent, and generous.
http://freewillastrology.com/horoscopes/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:15:24 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:

> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

Not a good sign, if you believe in that sort of things.

> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> soon"

Did you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/07/2012 12:15 AM, Somebody wrote:
> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>
> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> soon"

We once had a boss who was a regular little weasel. His position had
being eliminated but he were stuck with the jerk while they tried to
find a place for him. We ordered Chinese food in for Christmas Eve lunch
and one of us got a fortune cookie with a fortune that said something
about having a lot of leisure time in the near future. We fished the
fortune out of another cookie and slipped that one in its place and made
sure that he got it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:

> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

You don't want to know.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

You are now past your expiration date.

George L

Senior Member

Location: WI

2012, baby. Even the Chinese fortune business knows it's comin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:

> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

You're FUBAR

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 12:15*am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

check to make sure you're still alive

> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> soon"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:

> On Jul 11, 12:15 am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> > I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
> >

> check to make sure you're still alive

Speaking of fortune cookies... after reading the lame fortune, does anyone
actually eat the cookie part? I always do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:56:54 +1000, "DavidW" >
wrote:

> Somebody wrote:
> >>
> >> It means that the gods are too afraid to tell you.

> > But isn't the point of the FC the message inside?

> Normally, but if the news is grave enough it is left out. By leaving the cookie
> intact but empty, you at least know it's something very bad.

Romanticize it if you must but the rest of us call it a factory
mistake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:55:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> A Moose in Love wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 11, 12:15 am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> > > I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
> > >

> > check to make sure you're still alive

> Speaking of fortune cookies... after reading the lame fortune, does anyone
> actually eat the cookie part? I always do.

I do, I like them. I stop by the fortune cookie factory when I'm in
Chinatown and buy seconds too.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Smith[_1_] View Post
On 11/07/2012 12:15 AM, Somebody wrote:
I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
soon"

We once had a boss who was a regular little weasel. His position had
being eliminated but he were stuck with the jerk while they tried to
find a place for him. We ordered Chinese food in for Christmas Eve lunch
and one of us got a fortune cookie with a fortune that said something
about having a lot of leisure time in the near future. We fished the
fortune out of another cookie and slipped that one in its place and made
sure that he got it.
Hilarious! Now that's thinking.

I always wanted to create new, hip fortune cookies that were humorous. Like "Uh-oh! You might have salmonella!", or just a simple "FOOD POISONING"
or "puffy can= botulsim....sorry." Okay, the elder crowd might not enjoy it; but the yutes would.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 10:55:02 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>A Moose in Love wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 11, 12:15 am, "Somebody" > wrote:
>> > I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>> >

>> check to make sure you're still alive

>Speaking of fortune cookies... after reading the lame fortune, does anyone
>actually eat the cookie part? I always do.

I eat fortune cookies too, it's bad karma not to... once you open and
read the fortunes you must eat the cookie or bad shit happens... I
remember opening one and finding three fortunes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Somebody" > wrote:

> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>
> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> soon"

I found a penny in one once, but I didn't consider such a small amount to be a
fortune
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 11:20*am, Gorio >
wrote:
> 'Dave Smith[_1_ Wrote:
>

> > ;1756609']On 11/07/2012 12:15 AM, Somebody wrote:-
> > I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> > I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change
> > occupation
> > soon"

> > -

> > We once had a boss who was a regular little weasel. His position had
> > being eliminated but he were stuck with the jerk while they tried to
> > find a place for him. We ordered Chinese food in for Christmas Eve lunch

> > and one of us got a fortune cookie with a fortune that said something
> > about having a lot of leisure time in the near future. We fished the
> > fortune out of another cookie and slipped that one in its place and made

> > sure that he got it.

> Hilarious! Now that's thinking.
>
> I always wanted to create new, hip fortune cookies that were humorous.
> Like "Uh-oh! You might have salmonella!", or just a simple "FOOD
> POISONING"
> or "puffy can= botulsim....sorry." Okay, the elder crowd might not enjoy
> it; but the yutes would.
>
> --
> Gorio

Make some for a party you throw sometime- that could be fun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 10, 9:15*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>
> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> soon"

Christ! Do you just sit around all day trying to come up stupid stuff
like that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/10/2012 6:15 PM, Somebody wrote:
> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>
> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> soon"

The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!
Unfortunately, once you crack one open it's pretty much worthless. For
fairly obvious reasons, these things are as rare as roaches that can fly
so we should not worry about it and just enjoy the CFC for what it is -
a stale cookie with cheesy sayings and messages of false hope.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> > I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> > soon"

> Christ! Do you just sit around all day trying to come up stupid stuff
> like that?

I think this troll might be an obsessive masochist.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
> collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!

Heh. It probably had a pattern on the surface that looked like Jeebus
or something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2012 12:15 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
>> The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
>> collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!

> Heh. It probably had a pattern on the surface that looked like Jeebus
> or something.

Yes - some say that the "Jerusalem" cookie was not conceived or created
by any man but by God himself. Well, either it was God or his immaculate
baker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On 7/10/2012 6:15 PM, Somebody wrote:
>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>>
>> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change
>> occupation soon"
>>

> The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
> collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!

Is anyone going to ask the obvious question?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 3:31*pm, "DavidW" > wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On 7/10/2012 6:15 PM, Somebody wrote:
> >> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> >> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change
> >> occupation soon"

> > The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
> > collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!

> Is anyone going to ask the obvious question?

Did he eat it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message

> No, you'll be fine. I made it all up :-)

Actually, it went quite well. As long as I pass the drug test and physical,
she is going to enroll me in training. I didn't have time to study for the
drug test, so just made it up as I went along. I had to take it right after
the interview. It seemed pretty easy though at first I thought it was going
to be difficult. Drinking lots of water a bit before the test helps... I
had test anxiety at first but then everything seemed to flow smoothly once I
relaxed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:15:24 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:
>
>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> Not a good sign, if you believe in that sort of things.
>>
>> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
>> soon"
>>

> Did you?

trying!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>
>> No, you'll be fine. I made it all up :-)

> Actually, it went quite well. As long as I pass the drug test and
> physical, she is going to enroll me in training. I didn't have time
> to study for the drug test, so just made it up as I went along. I
> had to take it right after the interview. It seemed pretty easy
> though at first I thought it was going to be difficult. Drinking
> lots of water a bit before the test helps... I had test anxiety at
> first but then everything seemed to flow smoothly once I relaxed.

That's great. Can you give an idea of what is involved with the drug test?
("Drug test" usually means being tested for drugs in your system, but you said
you had to study for it.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:

> That's great. Can you give an idea of what is involved with the drug
> test? ("Drug test" usually means being tested for drugs in your
> system, but you said you had to study for it.)

Supposed to study for it I meant.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message

>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> You are now past your expiration date.
>
> George L

So this is Overtime? Bonus minutes I get to use up?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gorio" > wrote in message

> I always wanted to create new, hip fortune cookies that were humorous.
> Like "Uh-oh! You might have salmonella!", or just a simple "FOOD
> POISONING"
> or "puffy can= botulsim....sorry." Okay, the elder crowd might not enjoy
> it; but the yutes would.

Don't look behind you right now... seriously, don't!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Somebody wrote:
>>
>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> You don't want to know.

Perhaps my fortune is ineffable?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ViLco" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>
>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> You're FUBAR

"It's difficult in times like these: ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise
within us, only to be crushed by grim reality. It's a wonder I haven't
abandoned all my ideals, they seem so absurd and impractical. Yet I cling to
them because I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly
good at heart. I simply can't build my hopes on a foundation of confusion,
misery, and death. I hear the approaching thunder that, one day, will
destroy us too, I feel the suffering of millions. And yet, when I look up at
the sky, I somehow feel that this cruelty too shall end, and that peace &
tranquility will return once again."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
On Jul 11, 12:15 am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

check to make sure you're still alive

---

How does one do that? I could be living in a solipsistic universe. Maybe
we are all. Which maybe is why some say we cannot "share" grief... OTOH, I
do still seem to be still composing-- and not decomposing... Though that
may be debatable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> Speaking of fortune cookies... after reading the lame fortune, does anyone
> actually eat the cookie part? I always do.

Aren't they mostly hardened corn syrup?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I do, I like them. I stop by the fortune cookie factory when I'm in
> Chinatown and buy seconds too.

How much do seconds cost?

I read my fortune and give the cookie away to someone else. Though that may
transfer the fortune I have heard. And you aren't suppose to open till
after the meal.