Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default You ever get a fortune cookie that did not have the fortune inside?

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 14:56:54 +1000, "DavidW" >
> wrote:

>> Normally, but if the news is grave enough it is left out. By leaving the
>> cookie
>> intact but empty, you at least know it's something very bad.
>>

> Romanticize it if you must but the rest of us call it a factory
> mistake.

I think now it's because the fortune is going to be so big, it could not fit
inside the cookie... It may or may not be bad. It's the person's reaction
to the "fortune" that determines that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chemo the Clown" > wrote in message
On Jul 10, 9:15 pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>
> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> soon"

Christ! Do you just sit around all day trying to come up stupid stuff
like that?

---

I am not the Messiah.... And I did not come up with it. It happened...
Why do read posts you know you won't like and then complain ? Go do
something else or read a different thread. How do you "killfile" someone so
they cannot read your posts?

There is nothing for you here, you clown. Go away, go get some Chinese
take-out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message

> The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
> collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!
> Unfortunately, once you crack one open it's pretty much worthless. For
> fairly obvious reasons, these things are as rare as roaches that can fly
> so we should not worry about it and just enjoy the CFC for what it is - a
> stale cookie with cheesy sayings and messages of false hope.

I got one couple months ago that said: "Don't Panic!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 7/11/2012 12:15 PM, George M. Middius wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>>> The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
>>> collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!

>> Heh. It probably had a pattern on the surface that looked like Jeebus
>> or something.
>>

> Yes - some say that the "Jerusalem" cookie was not conceived or created by
> any man but by God himself. Well, either it was God or his immaculate
> baker.

The Immaculate Confection!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Jul 11, 3:31 pm, "DavidW" > wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
> > On 7/10/2012 6:15 PM, Somebody wrote:
> >> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> >> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change
> >> occupation soon"

> > The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
> > collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!

> Is anyone going to ask the obvious question?

Did he eat it?

---

To be or not to be? Camus says that is the most basic question.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>>
>>> No, you'll be fine. I made it all up :-)

>> Actually, it went quite well. As long as I pass the drug test and
>> physical, she is going to enroll me in training. I didn't have time
>> to study for the drug test, so just made it up as I went along. I
>> had to take it right after the interview. It seemed pretty easy
>> though at first I thought it was going to be difficult. Drinking
>> lots of water a bit before the test helps... I had test anxiety at
>> first but then everything seemed to flow smoothly once I relaxed.

> That's great. Can you give an idea of what is involved with the drug test?
> ("Drug test" usually means being tested for drugs in your system, but you
> said you had to study for it.)

my attempt at humour... (British humor.)

It was your normal pee in cup garden variety... I've never done an illegal
drug in my life, so I think I will pass.

Thanks for the "that's great"

If I get a fulltime job, less time to post here. Will make some people
happy if I get the job...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> DavidW wrote:
>>
>> That's great. Can you give an idea of what is involved with the drug
>> test? ("Drug test" usually means being tested for drugs in your
>> system, but you said you had to study for it.)

> Supposed to study for it I meant.

You study by not studying. And not doing any drugs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>> On 7/10/2012 6:15 PM, Somebody wrote:
>>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?
>>>
>>> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change
>>> occupation soon"
>>>

>> The fortune-less fortune cookie is the holy grail among rare cookie
>> collectors. One recently went up for auction and sold for $65,000!

> Is anyone going to ask the obvious question?

i.e., How do you know it's empty?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message

> i.e., How do you know it's empty?

take it through an airport scanner? Tell a doctor you think you may have
broken a bone in your hand, and discreetly have it by your hand when they
take an x-ray?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>
>> i.e., How do you know it's empty?

> take it through an airport scanner? Tell a doctor you think you may
> have broken a bone in your hand, and discreetly have it by your hand
> when they take an x-ray?

But since almost all fortune cookies are not empty, how do you know to X-ray a
particular one?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message

> But since almost all fortune cookies are not empty, how do you know to
> X-ray a particular one?

When a fortune cookie says to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/11/2012 2:20 PM, Somebody wrote:
> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> Heh. It probably had a pattern on the surface that looked like Jeebus
>>> or something.
>>>

>> Yes - some say that the "Jerusalem" cookie was not conceived or created by
>> any man but by God himself. Well, either it was God or his immaculate
>> baker.

> The Immaculate Confection!

Immaculate confection - that's pretty funny!

I grew up eating Japanese tea cookies which fortune cookies is a type
of. We call it "senbei" over here. The stuff used to be sold in buckets
with the different varieties all mixed in. The most popular one for kids
was the fortune cookie but these days I like the cookies frosted with a
ginger sugar coating. It's hard to find a bucket of senbei these days.
That's the breaks.

http://www.dcwhawaii.com/candy/hicandy4.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:36:26 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:15:24 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:
> >
> >> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

> > Not a good sign, if you believe in that sort of things.
> >>
> >> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change occupation
> >> soon"
> >>

> > Did you?

> trying!

Well, good luck! This isn't the easiest time to do it, but you know
what they say: there's no time like the present.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:10:16 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > I do, I like them. I stop by the fortune cookie factory when I'm in
> > Chinatown and buy seconds too.

> How much do seconds cost?

A couple of bucks for a pretty big bag.

> I read my fortune and give the cookie away to someone else. Though that may
> transfer the fortune I have heard. And you aren't suppose to open till
> after the meal.

You don't get them until after dinner. Orange slices and fortunes
cookies come with the bill. They're the Chinese version of after
dinner mints.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:10:16 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>
>> > I do, I like them. I stop by the fortune cookie factory when I'm in
>> > Chinatown and buy seconds too.

>> How much do seconds cost?

> A couple of bucks for a pretty big bag.
>>
>> I read my fortune and give the cookie away to someone else. Though that
>> may
>> transfer the fortune I have heard. And you aren't suppose to open till
>> after the meal.
>>

> You don't get them until after dinner. Orange slices and fortunes
> cookies come with the bill. They're the Chinese version of after
> dinner mints.

Have we all been with a rube at a Japanese restaurant that complained there
were no fortune cookies given with the bill?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 00:15:24 -0400, "Somebody" >
>> wrote:
>>> I cracked open one Sunday and nothing inside. What does this mean?

>> Not a good sign, if you believe in that sort of things.
>>>
>>> I opened one about 3 years ago, and it said "You will change
>>> occupation soon"
>>>

>> Did you?

> trying!

It's hard to find work as a bulk random word generator. .

Just sayin'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody > wrote:
> How do
> you "killfile" someone so they cannot read your posts?

Turn off your computer and leave it off. It works. Trust me. Do it now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 06:46:49 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> wrote:

> Have we all been with a rube at a Japanese restaurant that complained there
> were no fortune cookies given with the bill?

No. Are you sure it wasn't just a lame joke?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:17:40 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:

> How do you "killfile" someone so they cannot read your posts?

That's a Facebook feature, not usenet. On FB, you can "block" certain
people. When you use the block feature, you cease to exist for them
and they for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>>
>>> No, you'll be fine. I made it all up :-)

>> Actually, it went quite well. As long as I pass the drug test and
>> physical, she is going to enroll me in training. I didn't have time
>> to study for the drug test, so just made it up as I went along. I
>> had to take it right after the interview. It seemed pretty easy
>> though at first I thought it was going to be difficult. Drinking
>> lots of water a bit before the test helps... I had test anxiety at
>> first but then everything seemed to flow smoothly once I relaxed.

> That's great. Can you give an idea of what is involved with the drug test?
> ("Drug test" usually means being tested for drugs in your system, but you
> said you had to study for it.)

They called today. I passed! This is the most excellent news I've had in a
long time.

I have a physical tomorrow morn. I asked about how long and she said two
hours! And no food or drink after midnight, except water. Two hour physical.
I know coach operators aka "bus drivers" have to be in top mental and
physical shape, but didn't expect a two hour physical. What are they going
to do to me for two hours?

If I can pull this off, I could retire in 3 years or so. Then I could sell
this house and go live in my sister's RV in NH. Maybe rent it and go around
the world to RV parks and commiserate with old people about how young people
these days have it so easy. "We didn't have any of this iCrap this and iCrap
that, in our day. Had to write things. With pen and paper! And mail letters
in mailboxes. And wait days or even weeks for replies..."

I'm still anxious about whether I can actually drive a bus, but I see other
people drive them. I'm starting to think I can. Though I also see people
climb up ladders and go on roofs, and I can't do that... I will try to stay
positive and just go with the flow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 06:46:49 -0700, "Pico Rico"
> > wrote:
>
>> Have we all been with a rube at a Japanese restaurant that complained
>> there
>> were no fortune cookies given with the bill?

> No. Are you sure it wasn't just a lame joke?

If they had texted it, then you could tell. If there was an *smirk*
emoticon. In RL, sometimes it's harder to tell if people are being ironic.
I get a fair number of WTF? looks to things I say. Which is fine, because
when someone actually understands I'm being ironic, then it's like being in
a secret club... Though sometimes, I'm ironic without intending to be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:17:40 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:
>
>> How do you "killfile" someone so they cannot read your posts?

> That's a Facebook feature, not usenet. On FB, you can "block" certain
> people. When you use the block feature, you cease to exist for them
> and they for you.

I hope I never use FB again. I'm a bit saddened to hear it actually has a
useful feature... eh, even a stopped clock tell the correct time twice a
day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Fortunes Past

Was looking for my new glasses in case I need them for the physical, and
came across a couple "fortunes" I had saved.

One says: Your secret desire to completely change your life will manifest.
Another says: You have the ability, to sense and know higher truth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "sf" > wrote:
>> "Somebody" > wrote:

>>> How do you "killfile" someone so they cannot read your posts?

>> That's a Facebook feature, not usenet. On FB, you can "block" certain
>> people. When you use the block feature, you cease to exist for them
>> and they for you.

Nice feature. Nothing like it on Usenet because Usenet is a broadcast
based system. All articles go to all servers willing to take them so
the only filtering is by the user.

> I hope I never use FB again. I'm a bit saddened to hear it actually has a
> useful feature... eh, even a stopped clock tell the correct time twice a
> day.

Woe onto the inventors of digital clocks. Now a broken clock can be
wrong forever. ;^)
Senior Member

Location: WI

That would be nice. Find some packer trollin' and killfile ahead. Once everyone can ID the dink just leave 'em with dead air.

I think you've just invented something of use. Unlike my (still in R&D) rabbit defacation pill for humans. Never gonna need toilets again, baby!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> ObFood: Scrapatoes(tm) - Scrapple Battered Fried Potatoes
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> -sw

Didn't notice much scrapple on it but it sure looked tasty!!! :-D

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:29:29 -0400, Somebody wrote:
>
> > If I can pull this off, I could retire in 3 years or so. Then I could sell
> > this house and go live in my sister's RV in NH.

> Now that's ambition!

;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:34:32 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 20:17:40 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:
> >
> >> How do you "killfile" someone so they cannot read your posts?

> > That's a Facebook feature, not usenet. On FB, you can "block" certain
> > people. When you use the block feature, you cease to exist for them
> > and they for you.

> I hope I never use FB again. I'm a bit saddened to hear it actually has a
> useful feature... eh, even a stopped clock tell the correct time twice a
> day.

I'm lukewarm on FB. It's a nice way to send pictures to family and
it's a great way to get in touch with people from long ago. I can't
begin to tell you how surprised I've been by who contacts me. Not
only have I reconnected with friends from elementary and high school,
even my niece's ex-boyfriend (from 20-25 years ago) found me just the
other day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message

> Woe onto the inventors of digital clocks. Now a broken clock can be
> wrong forever. ;^)

yeah, the younger generation probably doesn't get it. But there are still
some clocks around with hands.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> I'm lukewarm on FB. It's a nice way to send pictures to family and
> it's a great way to get in touch with people from long ago. I can't
> begin to tell you how surprised I've been by who contacts me. Not
> only have I reconnected with friends from elementary and high school,
> even my niece's ex-boyfriend (from 20-25 years ago) found me just the
> other day.

I reconnected with an old gf from 25 years ago, not on FB, but via the
internet... Some fantasies are best left unfulfilled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:33:52 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:

> "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message
>
> > Woe onto the inventors of digital clocks. Now a broken clock can be
> > wrong forever. ;^)

> yeah, the younger generation probably doesn't get it. But there are still
> some clocks around with hands.

My digital clock blinks 12:00 until it's reset.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:36:33 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
> > I'm lukewarm on FB. It's a nice way to send pictures to family and
> > it's a great way to get in touch with people from long ago. I can't
> > begin to tell you how surprised I've been by who contacts me. Not
> > only have I reconnected with friends from elementary and high school,
> > even my niece's ex-boyfriend (from 20-25 years ago) found me just the
> > other day.

> I reconnected with an old gf from 25 years ago, not on FB, but via the
> internet... Some fantasies are best left unfulfilled.

Coincidentally, I connected with the very person I joined FB to find
about a week after I joined FB! The funny part is it wasn't because
of FB. I think I was sending out vibes and she called me. She
couldn't call my landline because my cell phone provider couldn't
track down "who" owned it. I'd had that number for over 30 years and
although my providers changed, I wasn't the one who initiated it. I
was ping ponging back and forth between AT&T, Pac Bell due to their
agreements. So, I stopped waiting after a couple of weeks and went
with a new telephone number. Anyway, she had my husband's business
number and called that, so we were able to connect.

As far as hearing about people from the past, sometimes you hear good
things. I just heard yesterday that a girl in my elementary class who
was destined to become trailer trash if she had stayed on the path she
was on. Her father murdered her mother and then killed himself. She
and her sister were taken in by their aunt, and they got a new life...
(long story short) she ended up marrying a lawyer. You could have
knocked me over with a feather when I heard that. It's really true
that when a door closes, a window opens!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message

> My digital clock blinks 12:00 until it's reset.

good point!

I was thinking if it's unplugged it doesn't show anything. But as you point
out if powered, even a stopped digital clock shows the right time twice a
day.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 7:49*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 22:33:52 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:
> > "Doug Freyburger" > wrote in message

> > > Woe onto the inventors of digital clocks. *Now a broken clock can be
> > > wrong forever. *;^)

> > yeah, the younger generation probably doesn't get it. *But there are still
> > some clocks around with hands.

> My digital clock blinks 12:00 until it's reset.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Yes, pretty much all of them do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 12, 8:31*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> "sf" > wrote in message

> > My digital clock blinks 12:00 until it's reset.

> good point!
>
> I was thinking if it's unplugged it doesn't show anything. *But as you point
> out if powered, even a stopped digital clock shows the right time twice a
> day.

LOL- and it's usually 12:00!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:

> > Woe onto the inventors of digital clocks. Now a broken clock can be
> > wrong forever. ;^)

> yeah, the younger generation probably doesn't get it. But there are still
> some clocks around with hands.

Many wris****ches come in "analog" style, so I'm sure everybody knows
what's up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Jul 2012 07:41:41 -0400, George M. Middius
> wrote:

>Somebody wrote:
>
>> yeah, the younger generation probably doesn't get it. But there are still
>> some cocks around with hands.

Shouldn't that be hands around cocks?