Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Peanut butter and jelly sandwich

AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
together well?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 3:57*pm, "DavidW" > wrote:
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> together well?

Jams here in the US tend to have seeds. Jellys are just smooth with
nothing in them. and yes peanut butter and jelly go well together
especially on toast or an english muffun!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:57:48 +1000, "DavidW" > wrote:

>AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
>anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
>U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
>jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
>way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>together well?

Yeah, but you Aussies eat Vegemite, which has to be the vilest
substance anyone ever called food! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:57:48 +1000, "DavidW" > wrote:
>
> Yeah, but you Aussies eat Vegemite, which has to be the vilest
> substance anyone ever called food! ;-)

I regularly have butter and Vegemite on toast. Yum!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:

> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> together well?

To troll or not to troll, that is the question....

You can find out the difference among jam, jelly, and preserves by
looking up the words in a dictionary.

One point about American food cultu Jelly donuts rarely have actual
jelly in them. As far as PB&J: Children like sweetened peanut butter
and grape jelly on Wonder bread. (That's an abomination foisted on
generations of ignorant homemakers by a huge food factory company.)
When adults make PBJs for themselves, they typically use unadulterated
PB and the preserves of their choice, sandwiched on real bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George M. Middius wrote:
> DavidW wrote:
>
>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so,
>> what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems
>> like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>> together well?

> To troll or not to troll, that is the question....

So your first thought is that this was a troll? Ridiculous.

> You can find out the difference among jam, jelly, and preserves by
> looking up the words in a dictionary.

But my point was that they have different meanings in different countries, and a
dictionary is not likely to give the sort of information I'll get here. Why not
just cancel the newsgroup altogether and everyone can get what they need
cooking-wise from dictionaries, encyclopedias and recipe books?

> One point about American food cultu Jelly donuts rarely have actual
> jelly in them. As far as PB&J: Children like sweetened peanut butter
> and grape jelly on Wonder bread. (That's an abomination foisted on
> generations of ignorant homemakers by a huge food factory company.)
> When adults make PBJs for themselves, they typically use unadulterated
> PB and the preserves of their choice, sandwiched on real bread.

Thank you. Would I have got that out of a dictionary?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 8:13*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> DavidW wrote:
> > AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> > anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> > U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> > jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> > way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> > together well?

> To troll or not to troll, that is the question....
>
> You can find out the difference among jam, jelly, and preserves by
> looking up the words in a dictionary.
>
> One point about American food cultu Jelly donuts rarely have actual
> jelly in them. As far as PB&J: Children like sweetened peanut butter
> and grape jelly on Wonder bread. (That's an abomination foisted on
> generations of ignorant homemakers by a huge food factory company.)
> When adults make PBJs for themselves, they typically use unadulterated
> PB and the preserves of their choice, sandwiched on real bread.

Agh - a bad memory just surfaced. I had made and offered scratch
blueberry muffins to a house guest - he wasn't interested, then
proceeded to go buy some white bread a la Wonder and spread it with
grape jelly. Talk about feeling insulted...he hasn't been in my house
since.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never
> heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very
> common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more
> like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call
> what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems like a very odd combination of
> spreads to me. Do they really go together well?

I think the most common jelly in the US is concord grape jelly. I'd rather
eat it, with pb, on buttery Ritz crackers than bread.

I was looking at this Summer Desserts magazine (America's Test Kitchen)
today and they had this blackberry cake with a brown sugar frosting. And I
thought the combination of these flavors probably isn't much different than
peanut butter and jelly.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so, what
> do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems like a
> very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go together
> well?

My mother liked to point out that PB&J was my lunch, 5 days a week, for
a number of years when I was a child - she said I wouldn't have it any
other way. I still enjoy it although I don't eat it terribly often
because there are other ways I prefer to indulge my sweet tooth. But
PB&J is still good enough that I've been known just to mix the two
together and eat them - who needs a sandwich, anyway?

I haven't bought peanut butter in years - I make my own nut butter -
mostly almonds and described regularly on this newsgroup - and that
works fine in place of peanut butter - we actually still call it peanut
butter here even though it only has a small amount of peanuts in it.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> On Jul 5, 8:13 pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
>> DavidW wrote:
>>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so,
>>> what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems
>>> like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>>> together well?

>> To troll or not to troll, that is the question....
>>
>> You can find out the difference among jam, jelly, and preserves by
>> looking up the words in a dictionary.
>>
>> One point about American food cultu Jelly donuts rarely have
>> actual jelly in them. As far as PB&J: Children like sweetened peanut
>> butter and grape jelly on Wonder bread. (That's an abomination
>> foisted on generations of ignorant homemakers by a huge food factory
>> company.) When adults make PBJs for themselves, they typically use
>> unadulterated PB and the preserves of their choice, sandwiched on
>> real bread.

> Agh - a bad memory just surfaced. I had made and offered scratch
> blueberry muffins to a house guest - he wasn't interested, then
> proceeded to go buy some white bread a la Wonder and spread it with
> grape jelly. Talk about feeling insulted...he hasn't been in my house
> since.

I love blueberry muffins.

Concord grapes are pretty tasty.

Was the bread toasted and buttered? Pan fried in butter?

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2012 6:57 PM, DavidW wrote:
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> together well?

I like a nice peanut butter and strawberry preserves sandwich
once in a while, I think they go together great.

Do you call gelatin (Jello) Jelly? Because that's not what
is meant by jelly in the US.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> But my point was that they have different meanings in different countries,
> and a dictionary is not likely to give the sort of information I'll get
> here. Why not just cancel the newsgroup altogether and everyone can get
> what they need cooking-wise from dictionaries, encyclopedias and recipe
> books?

Well said. I've heard that people like either Vegemite or peanut butter
but not both. I like both; Vegemite on breakfast toast and peanut
butter any other time, preferably on a buttery cracker (Ritz, here in US)
with some butter and honey. Jam and jelly tend to be interchangeable
except in recipes which call for a clear jelly (red currant to be melted
into a sauce for Goose, i.e.) specific to the clear substance. Jelly
is by far the predominant descriptor and these days applies to either
form of crushed, coagualted fruit. It would be a bit pretentious to ask
for jam with the breakfast toast. Marmalade, of course, follows its
own rules of conduct. This is subject to numerous objections,
demurrers and criticisms, not to mention local taste variants.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2012 6:57 PM, DavidW wrote:
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> together well?

I just love the culture wars.
What would you think of pickles and peanut butter?
Has to be kosher dills.
I like whole wheat toast with mine.

Tom

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:02:07 +1000, "DavidW" > wrote:

>John Kuthe wrote:
>> On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:57:48 +1000, "DavidW" > wrote:
>>
>> Yeah, but you Aussies eat Vegemite, which has to be the vilest
>> substance anyone ever called food! ;-)

>I regularly have butter and Vegemite on toast. Yum!

Yep, like I said!!

I had some Australian housemates years ago and one left me a jar of
Vegemite which sat in my cupboard forever until my son asked me what
it was. So I told him and he wanted to try it. So we opened it and he
took a taste and was like YUCK! And I told him "That's why I never
opened it!"

I threw it in the garbage then.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/5/2012 6:57 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never
>> heard of
>> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in
>> the
>> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we
>> would call
>> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?)
>> Either
>> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they
>> really go
>> together well?

> I like a nice peanut butter and strawberry preserves sandwich
> once in a while, I think they go together great.
>
> Do you call gelatin (Jello) Jelly? Because that's not what
> is meant by jelly in the US.

Excellent point, Nancy. Since "jelly" in the Brit-speak is what
we call Jello, they cannot use the term for strained fruit goody.
Hence ''jam" or "preserves" where we would say "jelly." My
vague recollection from the years in Canada is that jam is
more the breakfast fruit stuff; preserves a more manipulated
condiment served often with meats, sort of chutney-like.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/5/2012 4:57 PM, DavidW wrote:
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> together well?

Peanut butter (salty) does go well with jam/jelly/preserves (sweet.)

Jam/preserves = fruit and sugar cooked together with some fruit texture
remaining

Jelly = juice extracted from fruit cooked with sugar, smooth texture

Australian jelly = Jello in the U.S. (gelatin used as a dessert or in
some places, salad)

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:02:07 +1000, "DavidW" > wrote:
>>
>> I regularly have butter and Vegemite on toast. Yum!

> Yep, like I said!!
>
> I had some Australian housemates years ago and one left me a jar of
> Vegemite which sat in my cupboard forever until my son asked me what
> it was. So I told him and he wanted to try it. So we opened it and he
> took a taste and was like YUCK! And I told him "That's why I never
> opened it!"
>
> I threw it in the garbage then.

There is a belief here, whether true or not, that Americans don't like it
because they use far too much (i.e. spread it on like peanut butter). You are
also not likely to like it straight out of the jar, if that's what you did. I
don't think you could tell what it's like with butter on toast by tasting it on
its own. You should have got your housemates to make you a slice before they
left.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 9:27*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 10:02:07 +1000, "DavidW" > wrote:
> >John Kuthe wrote:
> >> On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:57:48 +1000, "DavidW" > wrote:

> >> Yeah, but you Aussies eat Vegemite, which has to be the vilest
> >> substance anyone ever called food! ;-)

> >I regularly have butter and Vegemite on toast. Yum!

> Yep, like I said!!
>
> I had some Australian housemates years ago and one left me a jar of
> Vegemite which sat in my cupboard forever until my son asked me what
> it was. So I told him and he wanted to try it. So we opened it and he
> took a taste and was like YUCK! And I told him "That's why I never
> opened it!"
>
> I threw it in the garbage then.
>
> John Kuthe...

I just threw out a bottle of Mescal that I bought in Mazatlan in the
late '70's. I could never get into it seeing that worm in the
bottle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>> But my point was that they have different meanings in different
>> countries, and a dictionary is not likely to give the sort of
>> information I'll get here. Why not just cancel the newsgroup
>> altogether and everyone can get what they need cooking-wise from
>> dictionaries, encyclopedias and recipe books?

> Well said. I've heard that people like either Vegemite or peanut
> butter but not both. I like both; Vegemite on breakfast toast and
> peanut butter any other time, preferably on a buttery cracker (Ritz,
> here in US) with some butter and honey.

I like both, but I think crunchy peanut butter (my preferred form) is better on
fresh bread than toast (Vegemite equally good on both).

> Jam and jelly tend to be
> interchangeable except in recipes which call for a clear jelly (red
> currant to be melted into a sauce for Goose, i.e.) specific to the
> clear substance. Jelly is by far the predominant descriptor and these days
> applies to either
> form of crushed, coagualted fruit. It would be a bit pretentious to
> ask for jam with the breakfast toast.

It wouldn't be here. That usage of jelly is unknown here as far as I know. Other
than the commercial lolly jelly beans, jelly is only the gelatin-based dessert
here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 08:57:48 +1000, DavidW wrote:
>
>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so,
>> what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems
>> like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>> together well?

> How are we supposed to know any better than you? You didn't describe
> your Australian jams or jellies so how are those of Americans supposed
> to know of they're different?

I thought there'd be people who'd spent time in both countries and would know.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 6:57*pm, "DavidW" > wrote:
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> together well?

I like peanut butter with jelly, jam or marmalade. I used to eat it
with honey as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gloria p wrote:
> On 7/5/2012 4:57 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so,
>> what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems
>> like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>> together well?

> Peanut butter (salty) does go well with jam/jelly/preserves (sweet.)
>
> Jam/preserves = fruit and sugar cooked together with some fruit
> texture remaining
>
> Jelly = juice extracted from fruit cooked with sugar, smooth texture
>
> Australian jelly = Jello in the U.S. (gelatin used as a dessert or in
> some places, salad)

Seeing all these responses I think I'm going to have to try it. How strange it
is that in another country, which has a similar diet in many ways, it doesn't
even occur to anyone to put the two together.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young > wrote:
> On 7/5/2012 6:57 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
>> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
>> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
>> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
>> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>> together well?

> I like a nice peanut butter and strawberry preserves sandwich
> once in a while, I think they go together great.
>
> Do you call gelatin (Jello) Jelly? Because that's not what
> is meant by jelly in the US.
>
> nancy

I have been feeding my sweet tooth with some homemade strawberry preserves.
I'm almost out. I use warm toast, and the peanut butter is dripping out.
I'm really going to make one right now.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:

> Seeing all these responses I think I'm going to have to try it. How strange it
> is that in another country, which has a similar diet in many ways, it doesn't
> even occur to anyone to put the two together.

You Ozzians have the strangest names for fishies, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jul 2012 21:13:59 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>I like a nice peanut butter and strawberry preserves sandwich
>once in a while, I think they go together great.

Not a sandwich, just on toast. That is my breakfast about 3 times a
week. Quick, easy, tasty, nourishing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> together well?

I think gelatin/Jell-o (although that's a specific brand).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:
> George M. Middius wrote:
>> DavidW wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so,
>>> what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems
>>> like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>>> together well?

>> To troll or not to troll, that is the question....

> So your first thought is that this was a troll? Ridiculous.
>
>> You can find out the difference among jam, jelly, and preserves by
>> looking up the words in a dictionary.

> But my point was that they have different meanings in different countries, and a
> dictionary is not likely to give the sort of information I'll get here. Why not
> just cancel the newsgroup altogether and everyone can get what they need
> cooking-wise from dictionaries, encyclopedias and recipe books?
>
>> One point about American food cultu Jelly donuts rarely have actual
>> jelly in them. As far as PB&J: Children like sweetened peanut butter
>> and grape jelly on Wonder bread. (That's an abomination foisted on
>> generations of ignorant homemakers by a huge food factory company.)
>> When adults make PBJs for themselves, they typically use unadulterated
>> PB and the preserves of their choice, sandwiched on real bread.

> Thank you. Would I have got that out of a dictionary?

I collect cookbooks, read a lot of cookbooks, so I knew why you
were asking. Yes, we sometimes have a problem with different word
usage.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:
> pavane wrote:
>> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>>> But my point was that they have different meanings in different
>>> countries, and a dictionary is not likely to give the sort of
>>> information I'll get here. Why not just cancel the newsgroup
>>> altogether and everyone can get what they need cooking-wise from
>>> dictionaries, encyclopedias and recipe books?

>> Well said. I've heard that people like either Vegemite or peanut
>> butter but not both. I like both; Vegemite on breakfast toast and
>> peanut butter any other time, preferably on a buttery cracker (Ritz,
>> here in US) with some butter and honey.

> I like both, but I think crunchy peanut butter (my preferred form) is better on
> fresh bread than toast (Vegemite equally good on both).
>
>> Jam and jelly tend to be
>> interchangeable except in recipes which call for a clear jelly (red
>> currant to be melted into a sauce for Goose, i.e.) specific to the
>> clear substance. Jelly is by far the predominant descriptor and these days
>> applies to either
>> form of crushed, coagualted fruit. It would be a bit pretentious to
>> ask for jam with the breakfast toast.

> It wouldn't be here. That usage of jelly is unknown here as far as I know. Other
> than the commercial lolly jelly beans, jelly is only the gelatin-based dessert
> here.

So I figured.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never
> heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very
> common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more
> like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call
> what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems like a very odd combination of
> spreads to me. Do they really go together well?

We eat either peanut butter and jelly or jam. Jelly is made from the juice
of the fruit and jam is made from the whole fruit and I think the juice too.
Then there's preserves. I don't honestly know the difference there but
there is whole fruit in there.

Peanut butter sandwiches *used* to be common. Much less common now due to
peanut allergies. I rarely see them on the menu and many schools have
banned them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"DavidW" > wrote in message
> gloria p wrote:
>> On 7/5/2012 4:57 PM, DavidW wrote:
>>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so,
>>> what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems
>>> like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>>> together well?

>> Peanut butter (salty) does go well with jam/jelly/preserves (sweet.)
>>
>> Jam/preserves = fruit and sugar cooked together with some fruit
>> texture remaining
>>
>> Jelly = juice extracted from fruit cooked with sugar, smooth texture
>>
>> Australian jelly = Jello in the U.S. (gelatin used as a dessert or in
>> some places, salad)

> Seeing all these responses I think I'm going to have to try it. How
> strange it is that in another country, which has a similar diet in many
> ways, it doesn't even occur to anyone to put the two together.

My impression is that peanut butter is not that readily available in
Australia. Am I mistaken?

BTW, since you have initiated this thought-provoking posting, what
(may I ask) is your preference amongst Vegemite, Promite and Marmite?
My peanut butter choice, since nobody asked, is Jif, and I dislike the
attempts at natural no additives pure gloppy sticky peanut butter.
And I understand that English Marmite is noticeably different from
New Zealand Marmite. Aren't snacks wonderful?

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:
> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so, what
> do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems like a
> very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go together
> well?

It has protien, carbs, and fruit, so it was prescribed by the army at some
point in WWII and soldiers continued making them at home.

And yes it goes well if you like PB, but not everyone does. Maybe you could
say that fruit in some form goes with anything if you like that thing.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:
> "DavidW" > wrote in message
>>
>> Seeing all these responses I think I'm going to have to try it. How
>> strange it is that in another country, which has a similar diet in
>> many ways, it doesn't even occur to anyone to put the two together.

> My impression is that peanut butter is not that readily available in
> Australia. Am I mistaken?

Peanut butter is very freely available here, though I don't think it ooccupies
as much shelf space in supermarkets as Vegemite.

> BTW, since you have initiated this thought-provoking posting, what
> (may I ask) is your preference amongst Vegemite, Promite and Marmite?

I don't think I've tried Promite. I don't remember what Marmite tastes like
because it's been so long, but I know I much preferred Vegemite. According to
Wikipedia, Vegemite was invented as a response to Marmite and Promite. I was
surprised to read that Vegemite supposedly doesn't have as strong a taste as
Marmite. I wonder if Americans dislike Marmite too, or if all their displeasure
is focused on Vegemite. :-)

> My peanut butter choice, since nobody asked, is Jif, and I dislike the
> attempts at natural no additives pure gloppy sticky peanut butter.
> And I understand that English Marmite is noticeably different from
> New Zealand Marmite. Aren't snacks wonderful?

They certainly are.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
> DavidW wrote:
>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so, what
>> do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems like a
>> very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go together
>> well?

> It has protien, carbs, and fruit, so it was prescribed by the army at
> some point in WWII and soldiers continued making them at home.

Our army had Vegemite among its official rations.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

DavidW wrote:

> Our army had Vegemite among its official rations.

Used yeast. The people of Leningrad were lucky enough to have sawdust and
motor oil.

When Men at Work had a vegemite sandwich, the teens here assumed it was
kangaroo. What's that like?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

> When Men at Work had a vegemite sandwich, the teens here assumed it was
> kangaroo. What's that like?

Are you asking what it's like to be assigned caretaker duty for
imbecilic children?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/07/2012 8:24 PM, DavidW wrote:
> George M. Middius wrote:
>> DavidW wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so,
>>> what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems
>>> like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>>> together well?

>> To troll or not to troll, that is the question....

> So your first thought is that this was a troll? Ridiculous.
>
>> You can find out the difference among jam, jelly, and preserves by
>> looking up the words in a dictionary.

> But my point was that they have different meanings in different countries, and a
> dictionary is not likely to give the sort of information I'll get here. Why not
> just cancel the newsgroup altogether and everyone can get what they need
> cooking-wise from dictionaries, encyclopedias and recipe books?

You point it partly right and partly misguided my misinformation. The
same words in the same language can have different meanings in different
countries. Cars do not have bonnets and boots here. Those go on hats
and feet, and cars have hoods and trunks.

I don't know what you call jelly in Australia. In North America, jam is
usually a fruit preserve made by boiling fresh fruit and sugar until it
develops a firm texture. It you strain out the seeds and pulp is is
called jelly.Some fruits are more often preserved as jelly than jam,
like grape. Some people prefer raspberry or blackberry jelly over jam
because of the seeds.

FWIW, I am more accustomed to peanut butter and jam, not peanut butter
and jelly.

Then there is gelatin, commonly used with fruit or fruit flavouring to
make a dessert. The most popular brand is Jell-o and often referred to
as jelly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I don't know what you call jelly in Australia. In North America, jam is
> usually a fruit preserve made by boiling fresh fruit and sugar until it
> develops a firm texture. It you strain out the seeds and pulp is is
> called jelly.Some fruits are more often preserved as jelly than jam,
> like grape. Some people prefer raspberry or blackberry jelly over jam
> because of the seeds.

Jelly is made from juice so the pulp is strained out before the cooking.
Very sugary in most brands. Jam is made including the pulp. Very
sugary in most brands. Preserves can be anywhere from sugary jam
through a reduction made with nothing but the fruit reduced down to make
it sweet.

So what is jelly in Australia?

> FWIW, I am more accustomed to peanut butter and jam, not peanut butter
> and jelly.
>
> Then there is gelatin, commonly used with fruit or fruit flavouring to
> make a dessert. The most popular brand is Jell-o and often referred to
> as jelly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 8:13*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> DavidW wrote:
> > AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never heard of
> > anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in the
> > U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we would call
> > jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either
> > way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
> > together well?

> To troll or not to troll, that is the question....

What the **** is wrong with you? You think every post has some agenda.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 7/5/2012 6:57 PM, DavidW wrote:
>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've never
>> heard of
>> anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that it's very common in
>> the
>> U.S. I have heard that what Americans call jelly is more like what we
>> would call
>> jam. Is that true? (If so, what do Americans call what we call jelly?)
>> Either
>> way, it seems like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they
>> really go
>> together well?

> I like a nice peanut butter and strawberry preserves sandwich
> once in a while, I think they go together great.
>
> Do you call gelatin (Jello) Jelly? Because that's not what
> is meant by jelly in the US.
>
> nancy

Sometimes I dine on strawberry preserves with peanut butter and bananas. And
if you make it with french toast it's like a Monte Christo sandwich or an
elvis sandwich.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

A Moose in Love wrote:
> On Jul 5, 6:57 pm, "DavidW" > wrote:
>> AFAIK this sandwich doesn't exist at all here in Australia. I've
>> never heard of anyone here eating it, yet I get the impression that
>> it's very common in the U.S. I have heard that what Americans call
>> jelly is more like what we would call jam. Is that true? (If so,
>> what do Americans call what we call jelly?) Either way, it seems
>> like a very odd combination of spreads to me. Do they really go
>> together well?

> I like peanut butter with jelly, jam or marmalade. I used to eat it
> with honey as well.

That sounds much better than honey-flavored peanut butter.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)