Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Carrots, ginger and brown sugar

How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?

http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2012 12:31 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
> better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
>
> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

I meant to point out that I can't eat raw carrots without my chompers
unless they're shredded and what I was going to make didn't pan out.
I'm not a fan of cooked carrots but I want to use them up. The
sweetened dish might make a sort of last course desert without really
being one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
> better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
>
> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

If it were me I would leave out the sugar. Carrots don't need sweetening.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2012 12:42 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 7/4/2012 12:31 AM, Cheryl wrote:

>> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
>> better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
>>
>> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

> I meant to point out that I can't eat raw carrots without my chompers
> unless they're shredded and what I was going to make didn't pan out. I'm
> not a fan of cooked carrots but I want to use them up. The sweetened
> dish might make a sort of last course desert without really being one.

*knocks head* Carrot cake! Well, this has been a fun conversation with
myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 00:31:39 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
>better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
>
>http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

I'd saute the carrots in a bit of water [or butter]- then add the
sugar & *fresh* ginger to toss them in at the end.

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 00:42:27 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

>On 7/4/2012 12:31 AM, Cheryl wrote:
>> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
>> better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
>>
>> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

>I meant to point out that I can't eat raw carrots without my chompers
>unless they're shredded and what I was going to make didn't pan out.

This one works for me-- it is rare that I don't have a container of it
in the refrigerator;
Shredded Carrot & Black Bean Salad with Lemon Dressing

1 lb shredded carrots
cup minced parsley [watercress, Monarda]
2 cans black beans drained and rinsed

Salted pistachios for garnish [chopped OK- but not necessary]

Dressing:
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
Juice and zest of one lime
2 tsp sugar
dash of salt
tsp freshly ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic
1 cup Olive Oil

Directions:
1. Make the dressing: Combine the dressing ingredients in small Ninja-
pulse 10 seconds- rest 5, repeat 5 times.
2. Shred carrots- toss with watercress and black beans.
3. Give the dressing another 10 second ride-pour on salad and toss.
4. serve with pistachios for garnish.
xxxxxx

You can leave out the nuts until your 'chomper' situation is
remedied-- but I like the extra crunch and salt. I've used
parsley, watercress, and Monarda as the 'green bits' - they all work
for me. I probably go heavier on the garlic, too.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would?
> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

I prefer Mary Ann to Ginger. So personally, that's how I would improve it.
Ginger is okay, but you could have an intelligent conversation with Mary
Ann.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 08:22:34 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:

>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
s.com...
>> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would?
>> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

>I prefer Mary Ann to Ginger. So personally, that's how I would improve it.
>Ginger is okay, but you could have an intelligent conversation with Mary
>Ann.

I read that as 'Mary Jane' - until I got to the conversation part. I
*thought* MJ was just for brownies.<g>

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
> better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
>
> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

I would brown the butter slightly and then
add maple syrup instead of sugar. Same quantity.
This has been one of my favorite recipes for years.

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> This one works for me-- it is rare that I don't have a container of it
> in the refrigerator;
> Shredded Carrot & Black Bean Salad with Lemon Dressing
>
> 1 lb shredded carrots
> cup minced parsley [watercress, Monarda]

Sounds good -- I'll try it soon. But can you elaborate on the parsley
spec? I looked up Monarda and it appears to be a flower, aka bergamot.
Should it be half a cup of each, or is using one of the three better?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 4 Jul 2012 08:22:34 -0400, "Somebody" > wrote:
>
>>"Cheryl" > wrote in message
ws.com...
>>> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would?
>>> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

>>I prefer Mary Ann to Ginger. So personally, that's how I would improve
>>it.
>>Ginger is okay, but you could have an intelligent conversation with Mary
>>Ann.
>>

> I read that as 'Mary Jane' - until I got to the conversation part. I
> *thought* MJ was just for brownies.<g>
>
> Jim

This is a cooking group, not baking though... Perhaps Mary Jane could
improve the recipe. Maybe someone with glaucoma or such can report back?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On 7/4/2012 12:31 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> > How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
> > better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
> >
> > http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

> I meant to point out that I can't eat raw carrots without my chompers
> unless they're shredded and what I was going to make didn't pan out.
> I'm not a fan of cooked carrots but I want to use them up. The
> sweetened dish might make a sort of last course desert without really
> being one.

Carol Shenk posted a carrot soup recipe once that was just carrots and
chicken broth - so easy and really delicious! I messed it up the next
time I made it by adding stuff to it. One thing I added was ginger.
Bad move, don't do it - don't even think about using that powdered
stuff -it's better for baking.

Carrot Soup
by; "cshenk" rec.food.cooking Feb 2010 18:15:22 -0500

3 cups carrots, chopped
2 cups chicken broth
Butter to taste

Cook carrots in broth until soft enough to mash. Strain carrots from
broth (reserving liquid) and mash carrots. Add back to broth and
gently reheat.

Add butter as desired.

Carol says an option is to add a little cream, it's too good plain.

My version:
Pour in blender and pulse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 00:59:46 -0400, Cheryl >
wrote:

> On 7/4/2012 12:42 AM, Cheryl wrote:
> > On 7/4/2012 12:31 AM, Cheryl wrote:

> >> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
> >> better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
> >>
> >> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

> > I meant to point out that I can't eat raw carrots without my chompers
> > unless they're shredded and what I was going to make didn't pan out. I'm
> > not a fan of cooked carrots but I want to use them up. The sweetened
> > dish might make a sort of last course desert without really being one.
> >

> *knocks head* Carrot cake! Well, this has been a fun conversation with
> myself.

I made carrot cake just yesterday. I won't ask you if you want it and
just post because I won't be at the computer for most of the day.

Carrot Cake - original recipe

sample
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Carrot-...-I/Detail.aspx

2C flour
2C sugar
3 eggs
1C oil (I had an undetermined amount of leftover Greek yogurt
that I wanted to use up - maybe 1/4c. I it put into the measuring cup
and then filled it up to the 1c mark with oil)
1 small can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, undrained (or C applesauce)
1t baking soda
2t cinnamon
1t salt
2t vanilla
2C shredded (raw) carrots
2C chopped walnuts
1C raisins
1C shredded coconut

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased and floured
rectangular cake pan or 3 well buttered and floured 8 inch round cake
pans or 9x13 rectangular pan (my choice).

Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.

Frosting

4T soft butter
one 8 oz. package cream cheese (softened)
3C sifted powdered sugar
1t vanilla
1/2t lemon juice (optional)

Using a hand held beater, blend the butter and cream cheese.
Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until smooth and creamy.
Stir in the vanilla and lemon juice. Frost.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2012 1:05 PM, sf wrote:
> I made carrot cake just yesterday. I won't ask you if you want it and
> just post because I won't be at the computer for most of the day.
>
> Carrot Cake - original recipe

Thanks! I actually have everything to make that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2012 7:53 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 00:31:39 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
>> better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
>>
>> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

> I'd saute the carrots in a bit of water [or butter]- then add the
> sugar& *fresh* ginger to toss them in at the end.

Sounds good. My first thought was to use fresh ginger, too. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2012 8:01 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> This one works for me-- it is rare that I don't have a container of it
> in the refrigerator;
> Shredded Carrot& Black Bean Salad with Lemon Dressing
>
> You can leave out the nuts until your 'chomper' situation is
> remedied-- but I like the extra crunch and salt. I've used
> parsley, watercress, and Monarda as the 'green bits' - they all work
> for me. I probably go heavier on the garlic, too.

Thanks for another one Jim! I wish I liked beans of any kind but I only
like string beans or frozen lima beans. I've tried! I just can't past
the texture thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2012 9:36 AM, Somebody wrote:

> This is a cooking group, not baking though... Perhaps Mary Jane could
> improve the recipe. Maybe someone with glaucoma or such can report back?

Why not baking??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/4/2012 8:52 AM, pavane wrote:

> > wrote in message
> .com...

>> How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
>> better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?
>>
>> http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

> I would brown the butter slightly and then
> add maple syrup instead of sugar. Same quantity.
> This has been one of my favorite recipes for years.

That sounds good, too. Thanks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 3, 11:42*pm, Cheryl > wrote:
> On 7/4/2012 12:31 AM, Cheryl wrote:
>
> > How would you improve this recipe, assuming that you would? Would it be
> > better with the sugar and ginger caramelized? What else?

> >http://www.mealsmatter.org/recipes-meals/recipe/31046

> I meant to point out that I can't eat raw carrots without my chompers
> unless they're shredded and what I was going to make didn't pan out.
> I'm not a fan of cooked carrots but I want to use them up. *The
> sweetened dish might make a sort of last course desert without really
> being one.

Cheryl, the Silver Spoon recipe book has a wonderful recipe for Carrot/
Sweet Potato Puree - it's a great use for cooked carrots (and you
roast the sweet potatoes first which gives them a great flavor. E-
mail me if you want a recipe - I've cleaned out my office and those
flash drives are somewhere else right now.

N.