Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default jello and milk

it's not that I'm likely to try this, but what would be the result if you made
jello with milk instead of water? I'm imagining something similar to sherbert
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds" wrote:

>what would be the result if you made jello with milk instead of water?

Suck this!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> it's not that I'm likely to try this, but what would be the result if you
> made
> jello with milk instead of water? I'm imagining something similar to
> sherbert

First of all, it's "sherbet", not "sherbert". Secondly, I don't see how
Jell-O +milk could equate to sherbet. The texture would be all wrong. Have
you ever seen those weird Jell-O creations some people make for Halloween?
You can buy special molds for them. Jell-O "brains", etc. I believe those
are made with milk. They look appropriately disgusting

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 1 Jul 2012 09:40:17 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> it's not that I'm likely to try this, but what would be the result if you
>> made
>> jello with milk instead of water? I'm imagining something similar to
>> sherbert

>First of all, it's "sherbet", not "sherbert". Secondly, I don't see how
>Jell-O +milk could equate to sherbet. The texture would be all wrong. Have
>you ever seen those weird Jell-O creations some people make for Halloween?
>You can buy special molds for them. Jell-O "brains", etc. I believe those
>are made with milk. They look appropriately disgusting
>
>Jill

I like jello cubes drizzled with evap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 20:49:32 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:

>it's not that I'm likely to try this, but what would be the result if you made
>jello with milk instead of water? I'm imagining something similar to sherbert

If you make it with evaporated milk and whip it up you get jello
fluff, which is DELICIOUS!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 16:22:37 -0400, Kajikit >
wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 20:49:32 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
> wrote:
>
>>it's not that I'm likely to try this, but what would be the result if you made
>>jello with milk instead of water? I'm imagining something similar to sherbert

>If you make it with evaporated milk and whip it up you get jello
>fluff, which is DELICIOUS!

Never did that, but I love evaporated milk poured over jello.

I also love the Bavarian Cream that mom used to make using milk/cream
in jello- Kind of like this-
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html

Mom's used red jello and she floated fruit in it-
Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7/1/2012 5:12 PM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Jul 2012 16:22:37 -0400, >
> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 20:49:32 -0700, "Malcom \"Mal\" Reynolds"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> it's not that I'm likely to try this, but what would be the result if you made
>>> jello with milk instead of water? I'm imagining something similar to sherbert

>> If you make it with evaporated milk and whip it up you get jello
>> fluff, which is DELICIOUS!

> Never did that, but I love evaporated milk poured over jello.
>
> I also love the Bavarian Cream that mom used to make using milk/cream
> in jello- Kind of like this-
> http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/m...ipe/index.html
>
> Mom's used red jello and she floated fruit in it-
> Jim

Jim, that sounded so interesting that I had to check out the recipe.
Nice! Definitely different from cream rather than water in flavored
jello. This looks great.

I had to click on a link to a carrot ice cream cake and get a load of
the number of egg yolks for a cake with 6-8 servings! 30 egg yolks in
the ice cream. Whoa. I wonder if that's normal for a custard type ice
cream? Looks good though. I'm sort of out of eggs at the moment so no
custard for me.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:

-snip-

>I had to click on a link to a carrot ice cream cake and get a load of
>the number of egg yolks for a cake with 6-8 servings! 30 egg yolks in
>the ice cream. Whoa. I wonder if that's normal for a custard type ice
>cream?

No! the richest custard ice creams that I've seen use 5-6 yolks in
a quart or 2. And don't want to eat with anyone that can eat
1/8th of that cake for dessert.<g>

>Looks good though. I'm sort of out of eggs at the moment so no
>custard for me.
>
>http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/f...ipe/index.html

The reviews are a real help. 2 reviews; 5 star no comment- 3 star-
didn't follow the recipe at all- used store-bought ice cream.

Looking at the 30 yolk recipe, there are some problems. one of the
ingredients is "Cream Cheese" - no amount.
"1 litre of milk
17-18 ounces of cream"

I'm not a big cake eater-- but the idea of this one looks good. If
I was going to make it, though, I'd have to talk to the writer before
I put that much money and effort into it.

Jim