Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default avocado

I have trouble looking at avocadoes with a straight face. Two reasons:
When I was at Kroger a few years ago, and I asked the guy behind the counter
about how to keep a cut avocado from going bad he said: leave the pit in.
The pheromones make it go bad... Secondly, avocado is Nahuatl for cajone.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/avocado

Word History: The history of avocado takes us back to the Aztecs and their
language, Nahuatl, which contained the word ahuacatl meaning both "fruit of
the avocado tree" and "testicle." The word ahuacatl was compounded with
others, as in ahuacamolli, meaning "avocado soup or sauce," from which the
Spanish-Mexican word guacamole derives. In trying to pronounce ahuacatl, the
Spanish who found the fruit and its Nahuatl name in Mexico came up with
aguacate, but other Spanish speakers substituted the form avocado for the
Nahuatl word because ahuacatl sounded like the early Spanish word avocado
(now abogado), meaning "lawyer." In borrowing the Spanish avocado, first
recorded in English in 1697 in the compound avogato pear (with a spelling
that probably reflects Spanish pronunciation), we have lost some traces of
the more interesting Nahuatl word.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 9:41*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> I have trouble looking at avocadoes with a straight face. *Two reasons:
> When I was at Kroger a few years ago, and I asked the guy behind the counter
> about how to keep a cut avocado from going bad he said: *leave the pit in.
> The pheromones make it go bad... *Secondly, avocado is Nahuatl for cajone.
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/avocado
>
> Word History: The history of avocado takes us back to the Aztecs and their
> language, Nahuatl, which contained the word ahuacatl meaning both "fruit of
> the avocado tree" and "testicle." The word ahuacatl was compounded with
> others, as in ahuacamolli, meaning "avocado soup or sauce," from which the
> Spanish-Mexican word guacamole derives. In trying to pronounce ahuacatl, the
> Spanish who found the fruit and its Nahuatl name in Mexico came up with
> aguacate, but other Spanish speakers substituted the form avocado for the
> Nahuatl word because ahuacatl sounded like the early Spanish word avocado
> (now abogado), meaning "lawyer." In borrowing the Spanish avocado, first
> recorded in English in 1697 in the compound avogato pear (with a spelling
> that probably reflects Spanish pronunciation), we have lost some traces of
> the more interesting Nahuatl word.

I turn the cut half, without the pit, upside down on a plate and put
it in the fridge. Works fine!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

--

I will try! If I mix with hot salsa it keeps a few days too, but sometimes
I just want avocado, and only half. Good in samwiches!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
>I have trouble looking at avocadoes with a straight face. Two reasons:
>When I was at Kroger a few years ago, and I asked the guy behind the
>counter about how to keep a cut avocado from going bad he said: leave the
>pit in. The pheromones make it go bad... Secondly, avocado is Nahuatl for
>cajone.
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/avocado
>
> Word History: The history of avocado takes us back to the Aztecs and their
> language, Nahuatl, which contained the word ahuacatl meaning both "fruit
> of the avocado tree" and "testicle." The word ahuacatl was compounded with
> others, as in ahuacamolli, meaning "avocado soup or sauce," from which the
> Spanish-Mexican word guacamole derives. In trying to pronounce ahuacatl,
> the Spanish who found the fruit and its Nahuatl name in Mexico came up
> with aguacate, but other Spanish speakers substituted the form avocado for
> the Nahuatl word because ahuacatl sounded like the early Spanish word
> avocado (now abogado), meaning "lawyer." \

So...laywers have big balls?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"news" > wrote in message

> "Somebody" > wrote in message
>>I have trouble looking at avocadoes with a straight face. Two reasons:
>>When I was at Kroger a few years ago, and I asked the guy behind the
>>counter about how to keep a cut avocado from going bad he said: leave the
>>pit in. The pheromones make it go bad... Secondly, avocado is Nahuatl for
>>cajone.
>>
>> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/avocado
>>
>> Word History: The history of avocado takes us back to the Aztecs and
>> their language, Nahuatl, which contained the word ahuacatl meaning both
>> "fruit of the avocado tree" and "testicle." The word ahuacatl was
>> compounded with others, as in ahuacamolli, meaning "avocado soup or
>> sauce," from which the Spanish-Mexican word guacamole derives. In trying
>> to pronounce ahuacatl, the Spanish who found the fruit and its Nahuatl
>> name in Mexico came up with aguacate, but other Spanish speakers
>> substituted the form avocado for the Nahuatl word because ahuacatl
>> sounded like the early Spanish word avocado (now abogado), meaning
>> "lawyer." \

> So...laywers have big balls?

hopefully, yours do!

What is the best way to eat Avocado's Mocking Malicious Mike General Cooking 0 18-07-2009 09:30 PM
Avocado Oil Julie Bove General Cooking 17 02-03-2008 07:09 PM
Avocado oil Bubba General Cooking 1 27-05-2005 02:50 PM
avocado oil elaine General Cooking 8 25-03-2005 07:37 AM
AVOCADO ? General Cooking 37 06-03-2005 02:56 PM