Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default At what time of day do you decide what's for supper?

I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
started this plan.

Is this your routine or what?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:
> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

Everyone needs to find what works for themselves. We like to make more
than we need so that leftovers are an option. My wife usually gives me
a shopping list that I fill on Monday and, e.g., I'll buy 2-1/2 pounds
of ground meat from which she'll make some ground beef, some burgers,
and some Sloppy Joe, and then we have the leftovers for quick dinners,
e.g., the Sloppy Joe on a roll, heat, and you're done, or the ground
beef in a soft tortilla with ground cheese and a few veggies.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
> Is this your routine or what?

I'm sure you're making fun of somebody, but I have no idea who it
might be.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 28/06/2012 7:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

My wife usually remembers to take some meat out of the freezer. As
supper time approaches we think about what to do with it. It will depend
on what fresh vegetables we have on hand. If there are no fresh
vegetables we switch to plan B and look at frozen vegetables.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
>pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
>ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
>Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
>ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
>relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
>started this plan.
>
>Is this your routine or what?

It's rare I decide last minute. I typically have my main meals
thought out some three days in advance. And I always prepare enough
so that there are plenty of left overs (they are not really left overs
since they are planned), so even if I decide I don't want what I
planned I have a freezer full of choices. I hate having to cook from
scratch every day. Tomorrow I plan on buying the fixings for salad,
but I'll make enough for at least three days... very easy to change it
up last minutes with the addition of pasta, beans, tuna, hard eggs,
boiled potatoes, cheese, cold cuts, whatever you dream up... a salad
is a great way to use real left overs. I think that each time one
cooks make lots, then there is rarely a day when dinner has to be
figured out last minute... cooking lots is also a good way to reduce
the grocery bill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

Depends on how our schedule is going. At times I plan out all of the meals
for the week prior to shopping. I do the bulk of the shopping on Friday but
I don't buy the meat at that store. I usually buy that on Sat. or Sun. Not
that we have meat every night, because we don't.

Right now I don't really have to do that. My daughter is only taking dance
classes two days of the week but she is there for many hours. We need a
quick meal after. Tonight she had a toasted cheese sandwich. I had a can
of bean soup. And we had raw veggies. I have already planned tomorrow's
meal because I have some food I am trying to use up. Will be a tuna
casserole for her, using spaghetti. I will have a similar casserole but
with ground beef and beef gravy. I have boxed gravy that I need to use up.

What I do is go through the cupboards every once in a while and pull out
anything that is close to expiring. Then I plan to make something to use it
up.

Currently it is just the two of us. I just have her look for whatever looks
good to her in the store. She is on the South Beach diet so that severely
limits her choices. Mainly whole wheat pasta, brown rice, sweet potatoes,
beans, any kind of meat or fish (although she dislikes most fish), cheese,
eggs, fruit and whatever veggies she wants.

I am easy. When it's just me, I rarely cook. If I do cook for myself I
will just make a big pot of soup or chili and just eat that all week. Or I
will have taco salads, which I guess isn't really cooking except for the
meat part. Otherwise I will have peanut butter and jelly, hummus and flat
bread, canned bean soup (like tonight) or canned beans in taco shells or on
tortillas. I eat plenty of raw veggies. We always have raw veggies in this
house.

All this will change when my husband gets home. Currently things are up in
the air because he has yet to get a job. He is retiring from the military.
I suppose the type of food I fix for him will depend on what his current
weight is and/or what kind of job he gets and when he gets off of work.

At first when he gets home it will be a big push to eat up all that we have
in the freezer that my daughter and I can not currently eat. Like the Amy's
bean burritos. And there are a few small things like little pizzas and hot
pockets. Not his favorite foods but I really need to clean out that freezer
in the garage so I can defrost it while the weather is warm. I also bought
some whole wheat thin pizza crusts at World Market and also some sweet
potato gnocchi.

Then I will settle into some kind of routine. But I will probably plan
things out in advance by at least 2-3 days.

I am mostly a planning kind of person. I do have a few meals I can pull
together quickly if I need to because I always have those things in the
house. Some kind of sandwich, hummus with flat bread or veggies, bean
tacos, some kind of pasta, some kind of rice dish. But my husband and
daughter do tire of these things so I am constantly on the lookout for new
meals to fix.

As a general rule, I do not like to keep meat in the freezer. I will keep
some cooked ground beef, cooked seasoned taco meat, cooked burger patties
and chicken. That's about it. I don't like to freeze raw meat and will
only do it if I have some kind of meat that's about to go bad and I don't
have time to cook it. Or if we have been snowed in and can't get to a
proper grocery store. The health food store around the corner from us does
sell really good organic meat but they keep it frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I always plan our supper meal in the morning, in case I have to take
meat out of the freezer to thaw, or go to the store for certain
ingredients, etc. When it comes to meal planning I've always been
organized, but not so much about other things.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

I took chicken pieces out of the freezer around 4PM today and they
were ready to cook a couple of hours later... but I prefer to have
dinner later than most people do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.

Bah! I generally wake up that way. This week, I've been going through
old freezer meat after I wake up. I cooked pork loin slices from July of
last year tonight in some sort of marinated wok concoction. My wife said
it was "not her favorite" which is the kiss of death for further
attempts.

> Is this your routine or what?

I vow to quit feeding DW old freezer meat for a year. There's only a
couple of days to go before last year's meat is gone. It's really hard
to sort out packages of this and that and figure out what to cook.
I ain't promising anything.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

No routine he some times I decide it in the morning, other times later,
other times I don't know what I'll eat until it's supper time. In the latter
case I usually go for cheeses and cold cuts, or in these days I take a tour
to the little veggie garden and pick up some lattuce add a tomato and enjoy
a red & green salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

It depends on the day. For example, yesterday when I woke up I knew I
wanted to make a pot of Red Beans & Rice for dinner. I knew this because
the thread on "Mexican rice & beans" set off a craving, although not for the
Tex-Mex type. I don't wake up every day with a meal plan in mind. What
sounded really good the day before (or even that morning) isn't necessarily
going to have the same appeal by dinner time. I try to plan ahead but it
doesn't always work out that way. How's that for a non-answer? LOL

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> > wrote:
>
>>I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
>>pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
>>ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
>>Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
>>ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
>>relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
>>started this plan.
>>
>>Is this your routine or what?

> It's rare I decide last minute. I typically have my main meals
> thought out some three days in advance. And I always prepare enough
> so that there are plenty of left overs (they are not really left overs
> since they are planned), so even if I decide I don't want what I
> planned I have a freezer full of choices. I hate having to cook from
> scratch every day. (snippage)
>I think that each time one cooks make lots, then there is rarely a day when
>dinner has to be
> figured out last minute... cooking lots is also a good way to reduce
> the grocery bill.

I don't plan three days ahead, but I definitely cook enough to have complete
meals stored in the freezer. No last-minute shopping required. I have
freezer/dishwasher safe divided/portioned plates with snap-on lids. Like
this:

http://www.collectionsetc.com/Produc...mr:referralID=

or Tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/75q4te9

They stack easily on the freezer shelf. Each is clearly labelled so if I
want, say, corned beef & cabbage with new potatoes, I just reach in and grab
it. Thaw, reheat in the microwave. Dinner is served! (Of course not
everyone has the freezer space for this.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2012 6:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

We decide during breakfast.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 8:32*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:
> Kalmia wrote:
> > I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. *I'm sick of panicking at 4
> > pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> > ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> > Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> > ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> > relaxed day. *I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> > started this plan.
> > Is this your routine or what?

> I'm sure you're making fun of somebody, but I have no idea who it
> might be.

Why don't you stop trying so hard to be a dick?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:47:41 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
>>>pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
>>>ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
>>>Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
>>>ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
>>>relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
>>>started this plan.
>>>
>>>Is this your routine or what?

>> It's rare I decide last minute. I typically have my main meals
>> thought out some three days in advance. And I always prepare enough
>> so that there are plenty of left overs (they are not really left overs
>> since they are planned), so even if I decide I don't want what I
>> planned I have a freezer full of choices. I hate having to cook from
>> scratch every day. (snippage)
>>I think that each time one cooks make lots, then there is rarely a day when
>>dinner has to be
>> figured out last minute... cooking lots is also a good way to reduce
>> the grocery bill.

>I don't plan three days ahead, but I definitely cook enough to have complete
>meals stored in the freezer. No last-minute shopping required.

I plan most meals around what's on sale, and for meats I'm a fan of
those "Family" size packs, they save money and there's enough for
several meals... like with skinless/boneless chicken breasts I'll cook
2-3 packs at once; slice into cutlets, bread, fry, and freeze. They're
very good in sandwiches, with pasta, or just plain in a salad. It's
not much more effort to fry two pounds of cutlets as ten, because it's
the same clean up.

>I have
>freezer/dishwasher safe divided/portioned plates with snap-on lids. Like
>this:
>
>http://www.collectionsetc.com/Produc...mr:referralID=
>
>or Tiny URL:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/75q4te9
>
>They stack easily on the freezer shelf. Each is clearly labelled so if I
>want, say, corned beef & cabbage with new potatoes, I just reach in and grab
>it. Thaw, reheat in the microwave. Dinner is served! (Of course not
>everyone has the freezer space for this.)

I use the rectangular containers (Glad), supposed to be disposable but
they last through many uses and are dishwasher safe.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 4:46*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. *I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. *I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

We've been falling into a rut lately, where we cook the same meals
every week. Otherwise we'll build meals around what's on sale at the
supermarket, or what my wife can get at the Sunday farmers market. So
we have a vague idea of what we're going to have during the week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 29, 11:29*am, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> I use the rectangular containers (Glad), supposed to be disposable but
> they last through many uses and are dishwasher safe.

Yeah - they're just HOPING you'll think they're one use items and toss
em. Real 'green' of those folks. I have used them dozens of times and
no breakdown yet.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 28, 9:27*pm, Zombie Hampster > wrote:

> I eat when I'm hungry.
>
> I eat whatever sounds good at the time.
>
> If I WANT cereal at 4pm, or steak at 2am, then that's what I eat.

Single, dude? I'd live that way too, but I have a spouse to please.
Leftovers have to be introduced with an apology.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 09:52:58 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia
> wrote:

>On Jun 28, 9:27*pm, Zombie Hampster > wrote:
>

>> I eat when I'm hungry.
>>
>> I eat whatever sounds good at the time.
>>
>> If I WANT cereal at 4pm, or steak at 2am, then that's what I eat.

>Single, dude? I'd live that way too, but I have a spouse to please.
>Leftovers have to be introduced with an apology.

Sounds like bedroom trouble to me. Before I'd apologize for left
overs I'd place a can opener on his pillow.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> IOW, I don't fret about what to cook. I spend 15-25 seconds a day
> thinking about it and don't usually decide until 3 minutes before I'm
> actually making it.

Same with me. I grocery shop every saturday morning early and always keep
plenty of options on hand for future meals. I usually decide on dinner
depending on how I feel when I get home.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Fri, 29 Jun 2012 07:47:41 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 16:46:34 -0700 (PDT), Kalmia

>>> It's rare I decide last minute. I typically have my main meals
>>> thought out some three days in advance. And I always prepare enough
>>> so that there are plenty of left overs (they are not really left overs
>>> since they are planned), so even if I decide I don't want what I
>>> planned I have a freezer full of choices. I hate having to cook from
>>> scratch every day. (snippage)
>>>I think that each time one cooks make lots, then there is rarely a day
>>>when
>>>dinner has to be
>>> figured out last minute... cooking lots is also a good way to reduce
>>> the grocery bill.

>>I don't plan three days ahead, but I definitely cook enough to have
>>complete
>>meals stored in the freezer. No last-minute shopping required.

> I plan most meals around what's on sale, and for meats I'm a fan of
> those "Family" size packs, they save money and there's enough for
> several meals... like with skinless/boneless chicken breasts I'll cook
> 2-3 packs at once; slice into cutlets, bread, fry, and freeze. They're
> very good in sandwiches, with pasta, or just plain in a salad. It's
> not much more effort to fry two pounds of cutlets as ten, because it's
> the same clean up.
>
>>I have
>>freezer/dishwasher safe divided/portioned plates with snap-on lids. Like
>>this:
>>
>>http://www.collectionsetc.com/Produc...mr:referralID=
>>
>>or Tiny URL:
>>
>>http://tinyurl.com/75q4te9
>>
>>They stack easily on the freezer shelf. Each is clearly labelled so if I
>>want, say, corned beef & cabbage with new potatoes, I just reach in and
>>grab
>>it. Thaw, reheat in the microwave. Dinner is served! (Of course not
>>everyone has the freezer space for this.)

> I use the rectangular containers (Glad), supposed to be disposable but
> they last through many uses and are dishwasher safe.

I've got those, too. I bought the divided plates for taking lunch to work.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 28, 4:46*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. *I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. *I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

I live alone. I work full time and when I get home from work I
usually don't want to cook. So I plan my weeks meals ahead of
time. Usually I buy fresh vegetables like green beans or broccoli on
a Saturday shopping day along with whatever meat I want to have.

Sunday is my cooking day. While the laundry is washing and drying I
cook off the meat...like grilling chicken breasts or a london broil.
I blanch off veggies like green beans, broccoli, or asparagus. I cut
up salad veggies and put them in a plastic tub. Sometimes I'll make
cauliflower puree and chill it down. I have several meals
available for quick heat up when I get home.

I also make green smoothies to take for lunch with a bit of the
protein I've cooked.

Lately I've been really into grilling chicken breasts. I buy those
humongous thick ones, slice them in half horizontally so they are off
equal thickness and marinate them with different concotions. They
take about 4 minutes on each side to grill and they are delicious.
They are great all week for salads for lunch, or dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:50:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>I live alone. I work full time and when I get home from work I
>usually don't want to cook. So I plan my weeks meals ahead of
>time.

I don't but there have been times I'd have a week to myself. If alone
all the time, I'd eat a lot of eggs, cheese, peanut butter and a few
other things that can be cooked quickly with minimal prep, like
sausage or steak.

At it is, there are usually two of us and an occasional third. Dinner
decisions can be made from a week in advance for something special, or
to only minutes when we just have no particular idea of what we want.
About 50% of the time, my wife decides by noon or so and can take
something out of the freezer if needed.

We also cook a larger quantity than a meal for two. That way, we have
leftovers for another meal or for my lunch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/29/2012 7:47 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> http://tinyurl.com/75q4te9
>
> They stack easily on the freezer shelf. Each is clearly labelled so if
> I want, say, corned beef & cabbage with new potatoes, I just reach in
> and grab it. Thaw, reheat in the microwave. Dinner is served! (Of
> course not everyone has the freezer space for this.)

Do you microwave in those? I've never thought much about microwaving in
plastic, but there's too much in the news lately about doing so and many
people refuse to. But I still love those. I think I'll get a set. Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:50:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>On Jun 28, 4:46*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
>> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. *I'm sick of panicking at 4
>> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
>> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
>> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
>> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
>> relaxed day. *I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
>> started this plan.
>>
>> Is this your routine or what?

>I live alone. I work full time and when I get home from work I
>usually don't want to cook. So I plan my weeks meals ahead of
>time. Usually I buy fresh vegetables like green beans or broccoli on
>a Saturday shopping day along with whatever meat I want to have.
>
>Sunday is my cooking day. While the laundry is washing and drying I
>cook off the meat...like grilling chicken breasts or a london broil.
>I blanch off veggies like green beans, broccoli, or asparagus. I cut
>up salad veggies and put them in a plastic tub. Sometimes I'll make
>cauliflower puree and chill it down. I have several meals
>available for quick heat up when I get home.
>
>I also make green smoothies to take for lunch with a bit of the
>protein I've cooked.
>
>Lately I've been really into grilling chicken breasts. I buy those
>humongous thick ones, slice them in half horizontally so they are off
>equal thickness and marinate them with different concotions. They
>take about 4 minutes on each side to grill and they are delicious.
>They are great all week for salads for lunch, or dinner.

You can pass for me! My favorite meals to cook when I don't feel like
cooking is a humongous vat of stewp and a gargantuan meat loaf. A
little trick is to make condensed stewps, saves freezer space, then
add back water when heating... much better to make your own than to
limit yourself to that canned crap, and canned soups cost a fortune
these days, and they are about the least healthful/nutritious meal one
can eat; fillers, salt, a few overcooked veggies, and a soupcon of
mystery meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/28/2012 7:46 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

Great read, thanks for posting the subject. It seems that the consensus
of a lot of people is to cook ahead and make enough for leftovers for
quick meals during the week. I do that, too.

Summer is easy. Sometimes I'll make a meal out of just veggies or
potatoes and sometimes the occasional meat. Weekends are my cooking
time. I'll make food that can be reheated for several days and even
taken for lunch at work. I don't get tired of eating something I like,
usually. Can't say that's a general rule though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:20:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:50:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>

>>I live alone. I work full time and when I get home from work I
>>usually don't want to cook. So I plan my weeks meals ahead of
>>time.

>I don't but there have been times I'd have a week to myself. If alone
>all the time, I'd eat a lot of eggs, cheese, peanut butter and a few
>other things that can be cooked quickly with minimal prep, like
>sausage or steak.

You forgot to stock up on ice cream. Ed, if you lived alone and ate
like that you'd weigh 500 pounds and live alone forever, and your
forever won't be very long.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 22:12:25 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 17:20:23 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 10:50:16 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:
>>

>>>I live alone. I work full time and when I get home from work I
>>>usually don't want to cook. So I plan my weeks meals ahead of
>>>time.

>>I don't but there have been times I'd have a week to myself. If alone
>>all the time, I'd eat a lot of eggs, cheese, peanut butter and a few
>>other things that can be cooked quickly with minimal prep, like
>>sausage or steak.

>You forgot to stock up on ice cream. Ed, if you lived alone and ate
>like that you'd weigh 500 pounds and live alone forever, and your
>forever won't be very long.

Good point. I'll buy a tomato too!

I don't mind coming home and helping my wife with dinner and in the
summer, I grill a lot. My wife will do the veggies and/or salad while
I'm doing the rest.

I just don't get too excited about making something elaborate when
eating alone. I can see a lot of leftovers though. Roasting a
chicken is pretty simple and it would make a lot of meals for one
person.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Kalmia > wrote:

> I'm going to turn over a new cooking leaf. I'm sick of panicking at 4
> pm and then trying to thaw something, finding out I am lacking an
> ingredient, feeling rushed, and then resorting to going out.
> Today I decided what to make when I woke up, pulled the needed
> ingredients, thawed the meat -- things went smoothly and I had a more
> relaxed day. I won't utter a clue on how many years ago I should have
> started this plan.
>
> Is this your routine or what?

Sometimes. Sometimes I have an idea of something I was to get out of
the freezer and may thaw it (as early as the evening before) without an
end result in mind. I usually have some idea of what lurks in the
fridge -- we eat leftovers a lot.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011

I can't decide... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 16 25-07-2016 01:40 PM
Please help me decide Zz Yzx Barbecue 53 22-12-2011 01:23 AM
Please help me decide.... Zz Yzx General Cooking 1 10-12-2011 12:11 PM
supper time! [email protected] General 12 20-03-2008 12:22 AM