Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How Do You Best Like Chicken Prepared?

There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)

Hubby best likes it baked in the oven, so it has a crispy coating on it,
and I enjoyed it fried and then simmered till very tender and thicken
the liquid left in the pan, to make a tasty gravy with milk. I call it
"country gravy".

I also love chicken & dumplings, sweet & sour chicken, chicken noodle
(or rice) soup, and like it in a pasta salad, or in casseroles, tacos,
enchiladas, or chicken salad sandwiches. I love it hot, or leftover
chicken cold. I really can't think of chicken prepared in any way that I
don't like.

How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
most people are cooking it on the grill.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:

> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.

Some people like predigested chicken. It comes frozen in patties.
Might also have turkey, pork, or roadkill. They drown it in some
godawful imitation canned "gravy" and they eat it even if they're NOT
STONED!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, I do like my chicken peppered.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I love chicken and we have it often.

My favorite way to have it is to go to Hartz Chicken Buffet
http://www.hartz-chicken.com/ Their fried chicken is wonderful... and
it is too hot to be frying chicken at home.

Good stuff.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.

Mostly I have it baked, dredged in some bread crumbs and baked. My
favorite is Chicken Parmesan, which I really can't eat anymore because
of the heart healthy diet. I have a baked variation that I make on
occasion where I cut back on the mozzerella.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2012 9:50 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
> people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
> and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)
>
> Hubby best likes it baked in the oven, so it has a crispy coating on it,
> and I enjoyed it fried and then simmered till very tender and thicken
> the liquid left in the pan, to make a tasty gravy with milk. I call it
> "country gravy".
>
> I also love chicken& dumplings, sweet& sour chicken, chicken noodle
> (or rice) soup, and like it in a pasta salad, or in casseroles, tacos,
> enchiladas, or chicken salad sandwiches. I love it hot, or leftover
> chicken cold. I really can't think of chicken prepared in any way that I
> don't like.
>
> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.
>
> Judy

No doubt about it. America is crazy about chicken. I make a great fried
chicken. When it comes to making white people food, I'm a pretty crappy
cook. My mashed potatoes really sucks! Fried chicken is the only WP food
I can make, although my coleslaw is progressing nicely.

My mom taught me to make fried chicken when I was a wee lad. She taught
me to fry in a half butter, half oil mix. I don't do that anymore
because I don't want a buttery chicken. OTOH, it's only for that last 10
years or so that I thought my chicken was better than most. Like a lot
of folks, I used to overcook my chicken.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 2:50*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
> people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
> and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)
>
> Hubby best likes it baked in the oven, so it has a crispy coating on it,
> and I enjoyed it fried and then simmered till very tender and thicken
> the liquid left in the pan, to make a tasty gravy with milk. I call it
> "country gravy".
>
> I also love chicken & dumplings, sweet & sour chicken, chicken noodle
> (or rice) soup, and like it in a pasta salad, or in casseroles, tacos,
> enchiladas, or chicken salad sandwiches. I love it hot, or leftover
> chicken cold. I really can't think of chicken prepared in any way that I
> don't like.
>
> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.
>
> Judy

Well, the way I really like chicken the best is fried with
mashedpotatoes, okra and gravey, also a biscuit or two ! However I
rarely if ever fix it this way as it is sooo bad for you! I often
make roast chicken, broiled chicken and various thing with chicken
parts. The first and worst tho is my favorite
Rosie
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:

> How do you generally prepare it at home?

http://www.elboricua.com/arroz_de_pollo.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I love chicken served many ways but dislike it with barbeque sauce or
tomatoes and I dont like chicken salad.

I love chicken (slightly spiced) canneloni with a white sauce.

Chicken al fredo is so so to me though I do like the Bertolli chicken al
fredo.

I like a cold pasta salad with chicken-when DiGiorno discontinued their
garlic olive oil pine nut romano refrigerated sauce in those little tubs
years ago it was a sad day for me.

I like fried chicken but I think I prefer the oven-fried chicken over
the stovetop fried chicken. Oven-fried retains the spices better that
add to the flavor. I like cold better than hot usually.

9 out of 10 orange chicken dishes taste bitter to me. IMO Panda Express
has orange chicken perfected.

I love dark meat dont care for the breast-when I buy rotisserie I end up
throwing away the breast.

Chicken Mcnuggets/Chick-fil-e are an abomination, imo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

My grandmothers chicken and dumplings is something I will always cherish. I
wish I could make it. And, chicken paprikash, oh my. Some Hungarian brought
some to a party a couple years ago, brought back memories.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2012 3:50 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
> people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
> and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)
>
> Hubby best likes it baked in the oven, so it has a crispy coating on it,
> and I enjoyed it fried and then simmered till very tender and thicken
> the liquid left in the pan, to make a tasty gravy with milk. I call it
> "country gravy".
>
> I also love chicken& dumplings, sweet& sour chicken, chicken noodle
> (or rice) soup, and like it in a pasta salad, or in casseroles, tacos,
> enchiladas, or chicken salad sandwiches. I love it hot, or leftover
> chicken cold. I really can't think of chicken prepared in any way that I
> don't like.
>
> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.

Grilled, or baked with just seasoning, pan fried with panko is my most
favorite. I like breast meat and the trick is to cook it fast and hot
and use a meat thermometer to check doneness. No more than 6 minutes on
each side, but put a lid on it after the first flip and only then turn
down the heat. I stop cooking when it's about 155 and let it rest
lightly tented with aluminum foil, and if you were to cut into it, it
would still be slightly pink. Don't cut into it though - you need the
juices to stay inside. It comes out moist and juicy and perfectly
cooked every time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> > How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure

> most people are cooking it on the grill.
>
> Judy

I really love beer-butt chicken. The chicken comes out so moist. I vary the
seasonings to get a different taste. I also will brine the chicken first. I
trick I learned was to stuff half an onion in the neck hole of the chicken.
This really keep the moisture and flavor in the bird. My husband loves
chicken grilled this way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 3:50*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
> people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
> and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)
>
> Hubby best likes it baked in the oven, so it has a crispy coating on it,
> and I enjoyed it fried and then simmered till very tender and thicken
> the liquid left in the pan, to make a tasty gravy with milk. I call it
> "country gravy".
>
> I also love chicken & dumplings, sweet & sour chicken, chicken noodle
> (or rice) soup, and like it in a pasta salad, or in casseroles, tacos,
> enchiladas, or chicken salad sandwiches. I love it hot, or leftover
> chicken cold. I really can't think of chicken prepared in any way that I
> don't like.
>
> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.
>
> Judy

Paprikás Csirke (Chicken :Paprikash), I also like a nice roast
chicken.
This recipe calls for a 4 lb. chicken. I always used just chicken
breast bone in.

1 4lb. chicken
1/2 cup lard (I use veggie oil, and as little as possible)
1 cup finely chopped onions
1.5 Tbsp Hungarian paprika (for all that chicken, I'll use double that
amount)
salt to taste
1 medium green pepper sliced
1 medium tomato peeled and sliced
2 cups chicken broth
3 Tbsp. flour
1.5 cups sour cream (one of these days I will substitute this with
greek yogurt)
1 cup whipping cream

brown chicken in lard; remove from pan
saute' onions in remaining lard without browning (I cook them slowly
for 1/2 hour)
add paprika and mix well
add chicken, salt, green pepper, tomato and chicken broth (stock) or
water
cover, simmer about 15 minutes
blend flour and sour cream
add to chicken and simmer until chicken is tender
add whipping cream return to boil and remove from heat.
check seasoning
serve with Hungarian nockerln, spatzle, your favourite pasta or rice.

I've made this recipe a couple of times. However, these days, I omit
sour cream, whipping cream, and I don't thicken the sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 01:49:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

> My grandmothers chicken and dumplings is something I will always cherish. I
> wish I could make it. And, chicken paprikash, oh my. Some Hungarian brought
> some to a party a couple years ago, brought back memories.

Chicken paprikash is very easy to make if you do it the Galloping
Gourmet way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 26, 2:50*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
> people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
> and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)

I like it best prepared ..... by someone else.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 12:15 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2012 01:49:01 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
> wrote:
>
>> My grandmothers chicken and dumplings is something I will always cherish. I
>> wish I could make it. And, chicken paprikash, oh my. Some Hungarian brought
>> some to a party a couple years ago, brought back memories.
>>

> Chicken paprikash is very easy to make if you do it the Galloping
> Gourmet way.

I like Chicken Paprikash too but my most usual protein is chicken:
roasted, in Indian and Far Eastern foods, in Mexican and also many
European dishes. There isn't much made with chicken that I don't like
even if I have to force myself away from fried Chinese dishes because of
the fat content.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 6:32 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On Jun 26, 2:50 pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
>> There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
>> people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
>> and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)
>>

> I like it best prepared ..... by someone else.
>
> N.

Me too. The problem is that there's no other cooks in this house. Looks
like I can't have somebodies chicken or eat it either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/26/2012 9:50 AM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
> people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
> and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)
>
> Hubby best likes it baked in the oven, so it has a crispy coating on it,
> and I enjoyed it fried and then simmered till very tender and thicken
> the liquid left in the pan, to make a tasty gravy with milk. I call it
> "country gravy".
>
> I also love chicken & dumplings, sweet & sour chicken, chicken noodle
> (or rice) soup, and like it in a pasta salad, or in casseroles, tacos,
> enchiladas, or chicken salad sandwiches. I love it hot, or leftover
> chicken cold. I really can't think of chicken prepared in any way that I
> don't like.
>
> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.
>
> Judy

When I was just starting out to live on my own I'd prepare chicken by
cutting up a whole fryer and browning in a wok. Then I'd add water and
layer vegetables on the chicken. Cover the chicken and let it simmer for
a while. Ideally, you'd add some wine but I don't drink alcohol so never
had any on hand. It's a great classic chicken dish for beginning cooks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 26/06/2012 3:50 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.

I love chicken and we have it 3-4 times per week. How we cook it depends
on the cut. In the summer I like to do whole chickens on the gas BBQ
rotisserie. Chicken legs or bone in breast are usually done offset in
the BBQ. Boneless are usually marinated and grilled on direct heat. I
frequently marinated boneless breast meat in olive oil and lemon juice
with garlic, and oregano.

In the cooler weather we either grill it, pan fry it or some type of
roasting. We don't do fried chicken.

Senior Member

Location: WI

hard to pik one way. My top three recently are fajitas in caste iron, braised with vegetable and slowly/low heat grilled thighs after a dry rub and a simple grilling sauce will on the heat.

Where I live you kind of have to make your own fried chicken if you want anything good. KFC never quite did it for me. I've tried Popeyes once and was reasonably impressed. Don't have one near me, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I like the best breaded chicken fillette, but not breaded like fast
food chains do dipped in oil and bread crumbs. No. I prefer a fine
breading:

flattened chicken breasts coated with a thin layer of flour, than coat
them with eggs, and than with bread crumbs. Fry it.

Variations include a pinch or two of parmesan in a bread crumbs,
and/or powdered garlic in a flour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 10:45 AM, Feranija wrote:
> I like the best breaded chicken fillette, but not breaded like fast food
> chains do dipped in oil and bread crumbs. No. I prefer a fine breading:
>
> flattened chicken breasts coated with a thin layer of flour, than coat
> them with eggs, and than with bread crumbs. Fry it.
>
> Variations include a pinch or two of parmesan in a bread crumbs, and/or
> powdered garlic in a flour.

I used to prepare a flattened chicken breast stuffed with butter and
deep fried. That was a pretty popular dish! These days I just like to
make Southern fried chicken - simple country folk food. Looks like I've
regressed. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 4:45 PM, Feranija wrote:
> I like the best breaded chicken fillette, but not breaded like fast food
> chains do dipped in oil and bread crumbs. No. I prefer a fine breading:
>
> flattened chicken breasts coated with a thin layer of flour, than coat
> them with eggs, and than with bread crumbs. Fry it.
>
> Variations include a pinch or two of parmesan in a bread crumbs, and/or
> powdered garlic in a flour.

That's exactly how I do my pan fried chicken. In addition I add some
walnuts to the food processor when I make the bread crumbs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 5:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I used to prepare a flattened chicken breast stuffed with butter and
> deep fried. That was a pretty popular dish!

That sounds dangerous and delicious! lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

I had a happy meal today at work. They have a stirfry area where you
pick from ~6 ingredients, they stir fry in a little olive oil, then you
select rice or pasta, then you select from about 5 sauces. I skip the
rice/pasta/sauce.

So I chose just chicken and mushrooms. Usually this food is dished back
to me blistering hot in a stryofoam to go container. So first I added 3
packets creamy italian dressing (~1Tbsp) then 3 packets parmesan
(~1Tbsp) and then one snack pack of red seedless grapes (~1cup) which
are usually unpleasantly icy cold in the cafeteria.

The too cold and the too hot merged perfectly and the flavor was divine.
My mom serves a chicken salad with grapes in it so I knew the flavors
went well together but it surpassed any expectation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/27/2012 3:59 PM, Cheryl wrote:
> On 6/27/2012 5:17 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I used to prepare a flattened chicken breast stuffed with butter and
>> deep fried. That was a pretty popular dish!

> That sounds dangerous and delicious! lol

The butter gushes out when you cut it. That's always good for a thrill.
It's not too difficult to make. Prepare it for your loved one. Don't
forget to purchase a large insurance policy first... :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> A beer can is totally unnecessary. All you really need is a vertical
> roaster.

I suspect the beer is for the cook, not the chicken.

G.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 12:30:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

> sf wrote:
> >
> > A beer can is totally unnecessary. All you really need is a vertical
> > roaster.

> I suspect the beer is for the cook, not the chicken.

You're probably right. I suspect it was "invented" after some cook
and his friends were sufficiently lubed by beer. In any case,
vertical roasting is the only way to go with a whole chicken AFAIC,
because the result is a totally juicy chicken. Not sure why the white
meat ends up so juicy because it defies conventional wisdom that it
needs to be down so it is basted by run off juices from dark meat, but
the end justifies the means.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> sf wrote:
>
>> A beer can is totally unnecessary. All you really need is a vertical
>> roaster.

> I suspect the beer is for the cook, not the chicken.

The beer is for the cook; the can is for the chicken. It's like cooking
with The Frugal Gourmet. Use everything and spend as much extra money
as it takes to be able to claim you're cheap. ;^)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 19:11:32 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > sf wrote:
> >
> >> A beer can is totally unnecessary. All you really need is a vertical
> >> roaster.

> > I suspect the beer is for the cook, not the chicken.

> The beer is for the cook; the can is for the chicken. It's like cooking
> with The Frugal Gourmet. Use everything and spend as much extra money
> as it takes to be able to claim you're cheap. ;^)

Frugal didn't mean cheap, it meant that you didn't waste anything.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy wrote about chicken:

> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.

I like grilled chicken leg quarters. To avoid monotony I vary the
condiments and accompaniments. Here are a few variations I like:

with warm tortillas and Santa Maria salsa

with a Thai-inspired dipping sauce

with freshly-made bread and butter

with Inner Beauty hot sauce

with any of several barbecue sauces
-white barbecue sauce
-South Carolina barbecue sauce
-Memphis barbecue sauce
-Hawaiian barbecue sauce

with Jamaican jerk sauce

with a mild mustard sauce, e.g., dill & lemon mustard or cognac &
tarragon mustard

with Creole remoulade

with Peruvian spicy mayonnaise

with tkemali

with satay sauce

with ten-spice honey dipping sauce

with peach ketchup

with chipotle butter with lime and honey

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/29/2012 3:50 PM, Andy wrote:

> I like baked sesame chicken tenders best. With hot and mild salsas for
> dipping.

OOO you just reminded me that I have a jar of sesame seeds and I'm doing
this! Just not the salsa.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 26, 12:50*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> There are so many ways to cook chicken, and we eat a lot of it. Some
> people say they get tired of it, but we fix it so many different ways,
> and never tire of it. It's a wonder we don't start clucking! ;-)
>
> Hubby best likes it baked in the oven, so it has a crispy coating on it,
> and I enjoyed it fried and then simmered till very tender and thicken
> the liquid left in the pan, to make a tasty gravy with milk. I call it
> "country gravy".
>
> I also love chicken & dumplings, sweet & sour chicken, chicken noodle
> (or rice) soup, and like it in a pasta salad, or in casseroles, tacos,
> enchiladas, or chicken salad sandwiches. I love it hot, or leftover
> chicken cold. I really can't think of chicken prepared in any way that I
> don't like.
>
> How do you generally prepare it at home? This time of the year, I'm sure
> most people are cooking it on the grill.
>
> Judy

I don't do this anymore except on the rarest of occasions, but my
absolute favorite way to make and eat chicken is traditional Southern
fried. KFC is the closest thing in flavor but I don't even do that
anymore.
This is my recipe for fried chicken. It's as old as the Tennessee
mountains and the best I've ever had.

http://hizzoners.com/recipes/poultry...-fried-chicken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

>This is my recipe for fried chicken. * It's
> as old as the Tennessee mountains and
> the best I've ever had.

>http://hizzoners.com/recipes/poultry/124-
>sitaras-honest-to-goodnes-real-souther-fr
>ied-chicken

That does sound really good, and I use to do it similar to this way back
when, but now that we're older, I try to cook healthier, and this makes
for a tasty buttermilk chicken recipe, that is kinder to our systems.

Oven-Fried Ranch Chicken

1 cut-up frying chicken (3-1/2 lbs.)
1 (2 oz.) envelope ranch salad dressing mix
2 cups buttermilk
1 pkg. (6.5 oz.) corn muffin & bread mix
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. seasoned salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper

In large resealable food storage plastic bag, combine chicken pieces,
salad dressing mix and buttermilk. Seal bag, turn bag several times to
coat chicken. Refrigerate several hours, or overnight.
Spray a 15 x 10 inch pan with cooking spray (I line with foil for easier
clean up).

Combine corn muffin mix with remaining ingredients. Remove chicken
pieces from buttermilk mixture. Dip chicken in breading, turning to coat
completely. Shake off excess. Place chicken, bone side down in pan.
Lightly spray top of chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 400º for 50
minutes, until chicken is fork-tender and juices run clear. Makes 4
servings.

Judy