Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need Info on Sherry Wine?

My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
bought it and opened it.

How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has some
good suggestions for using it in cooking?

Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if that
could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?

Thanks for your input!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> bought it and opened it.

Blech.

> How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
> and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has some
> good suggestions for using it in cooking?

Sherry will keep a long time if stored properly. Yours has not. Especially
opened. Taste it. If is pleasant and drinkable then you're OK. Don't
expect it to be. Go to a larger wine store or a market with a large
collection. You'll find many fine sweet sherry wines in half bottles. Use
what you need and give away the rest. Almost all stores carry Harvey's
Bristol Cream. You can't go wrong with that. You want a sweet sherry. The
good stuff will really add a lot to the cake. Cheap sherry like Gallo will
not taste the same.

> Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if that
> could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?

Cooking sherry is spiked with a lot of salt. You do not want that for
baking. It is not drinkable.

You could also enjoy trhe leftoiver sherry. A little glass, say 2 ounces
sipped over the course of a meal prep is a nice way to enjoy the stuff.
Good sherry wines are just incredibly good.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2012 12:41 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> Sherry will keep a long time if stored properly. Yours has not. Especially
> opened. Taste it. If is pleasant and drinkable then you're OK. Don't
> expect it to be. Go to a larger wine store or a market with a large
> collection. You'll find many fine sweet sherry wines in half bottles. Use
> what you need and give away the rest. Almost all stores carry Harvey's
> Bristol Cream. You can't go wrong with that. You want a sweet sherry. The
> good stuff will really add a lot to the cake. Cheap sherry like Gallo will
> not taste the same.

Gallo has come a long way since the Dark Ages of the 1970s and '80s and
is producing some respectable wines.

The cake recipe likely does call for a sweeter sherry but not
specifically a sugary cream sherry (however, referencing back to the
Dark Ages, if it's a recipe from the 70s/80s, it probably does expect
the sweetest sherry on the market just because that was the style then
and not necessarily because it would have superior flavor).

> Cooking sherry is spiked with a lot of salt. You do not want that for
> baking. It is not drinkable.

"Cooking sherry" isn't wine in any way. It is more analogous to
Caucasian soy sauce for use in European-based dishes. Dreadful stuff, it
should be banned from store shelves if it hasn't been already.

> You could also enjoy trhe leftoiver sherry. A little glass, say 2 ounces
> sipped over the course of a meal prep is a nice way to enjoy the stuff.
> Good sherry wines are just incredibly good.

They are excellent, but they are an acquired taste. There are veteran
wine drinkers who can't tolerate sherries, unable to get beyond the
oxidized wine perception. I think sherries across the spectrum are
wonderful. I also greatly enjoy port.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 10:53*am, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> bought it and opened it.
>
> How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
> and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has some
> good suggestions for using it in cooking?
>
> Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if that
> could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Judy

The last I heard was that Sherry Wine was back in jail...gotta be
careful when working streets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:41:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
> >
> > My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> > 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> > opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> > number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> > and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> > bought it and opened it.

> Blech.
>
> > How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> > thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> > necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
> > and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has some
> > good suggestions for using it in cooking?

> Sherry will keep a long time if stored properly. Yours has not. Especially
> opened. Taste it. If is pleasant and drinkable then you're OK. Don't
> expect it to be. Go to a larger wine store or a market with a large
> collection. You'll find many fine sweet sherry wines in half bottles. Use
> what you need and give away the rest. Almost all stores carry Harvey's
> Bristol Cream. You can't go wrong with that. You want a sweet sherry. The
> good stuff will really add a lot to the cake. Cheap sherry like Gallo will
> not taste the same.
>
> > Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if that
> > could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?

> Cooking sherry is spiked with a lot of salt. You do not want that for
> baking. It is not drinkable.
>
> You could also enjoy trhe leftoiver sherry. A little glass, say 2 ounces
> sipped over the course of a meal prep is a nice way to enjoy the stuff.
> Good sherry wines are just incredibly good.

She didn't say the recipe called for cream sherry.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 09:53:14 -0800, (Judy Haffner)
wrote:

> My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> bought it and opened it.
>
> How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
> and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has some
> good suggestions for using it in cooking?

I'll assume you're talking about an under $10 bottle of sherry. If
it's only half a cup, take a chance and use it. I always keep an
inexpensive dry sherry on hand because I think it makes a great
addition to chicken and pork gravy. My sister uses 1/2 a cup of cream
sherry in her (beef) pot roasts. You can't taste it, but it makes a
positive flavor difference.

> Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if that
> could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?

Ick.

> Thanks for your input!

Use what you have on hand. If it doesn't smell musty or vinegary, I
don't see why it wouldn't be fine.

> Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 2:09*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:41:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

> > "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> > > My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> > > 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> > > opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> > > number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> > > and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> > > bought it and opened it.

> > Blech.

> > > How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> > > thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> > > necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
> > > and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has some
> > > good suggestions for using it in cooking?

> > Sherry will keep a long time if stored properly. *Yours has not. *Especially
> > opened. *Taste it. *If is pleasant and drinkable then you're OK. *Don't
> > expect it to be. *Go to a larger wine store or a market with a large
> > collection. *You'll find many fine sweet sherry wines in half bottles.. *Use
> > what you need and give away the rest. *Almost all stores carry Harvey's
> > Bristol Cream. *You can't go wrong with that. *You want a sweet sherry. *The
> > good stuff will really add a lot to the cake. *Cheap sherry like Gallo will
> > not taste the same.

> > > Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if that
> > > could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?

> > Cooking sherry is spiked with a lot of salt. *You do not want that for
> > baking. *It is not drinkable.

> > You could also enjoy trhe leftoiver sherry. *A little glass, say 2 ounces
> > sipped over the course of a meal prep is a nice way to enjoy the stuff.
> > Good sherry wines are just incredibly good.

> She didn't say the recipe called for cream sherry.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

Sherry's been creamed many times.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/06/2012 1:53 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> bought it and opened it.
>
> How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> necessary.

Not trying to be a smart ass but if you aren't a sherry drinker you
wouldn't know the difference if it has degraded a bit. Sherry is a
fortified wine. Personally, I do not like sherry, but my wife does.
Theree is often a bottle of opened sherry in our liquor cabinet. She
knows her sherry and she has never complained about it being off.
Besides, you are only using a small amount.

FWIW... my wife used to make a sherry Bundt cake. It is great stuff. The
only reason we don't do it more often is that Bundt cakes are
substantial cakes and seem to last forever and we get tired of them

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2012 3:24 PM, sf wrote:
> Use what you have on hand. If it doesn't smell musty or vinegary, I
> don't see why it wouldn't be fine.

If she's not a sherry drinker (and it seems that she is not) she may not
appreciate whether it smells musty or otherwise. I doubt it was stored
airtight, and at its age her bottle of sherry may be oxidized and
evaporated down to a fairly funky syrup. It's unlikely that it survived
the better part of a decade without degradation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:41:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

> > "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> > > 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> > > opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> > > number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> > > and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> > > bought it and opened it.

> > Blech.
> >
> > > How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> > > thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> > > necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
> > > and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has some
> > > good suggestions for using it in cooking?

> > Sherry will keep a long time if stored properly. Yours has not. Especially
> > opened. Taste it. If is pleasant and drinkable then you're OK. Don't
> > expect it to be. Go to a larger wine store or a market with a large
> > collection. You'll find many fine sweet sherry wines in half bottles. Use
> > what you need and give away the rest. Almost all stores carry Harvey's
> > Bristol Cream. You can't go wrong with that. You want a sweet sherry. The
> > good stuff will really add a lot to the cake. Cheap sherry like Gallo will
> > not taste the same.
> >
> > > Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if that
> > > could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?

> > Cooking sherry is spiked with a lot of salt. You do not want that for
> > baking. It is not drinkable.
> >
> > You could also enjoy trhe leftoiver sherry. A little glass, say 2 ounces
> > sipped over the course of a meal prep is a nice way to enjoy the stuff.
> > Good sherry wines are just incredibly good.
> >

> She didn't say the recipe called for cream sherry.

There's no cream in cream sherry; it's just a sweet sherry. Fine for
cake making.
The alcohol content of sherry means an old opened bottle will almost
certainly be fine for cooking with. If you want other use, add a dash to
gravy.

Janet

Janet
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need Info on Sherry Wine? (THANKS!)

I appreciate the feedback I've gotten in this thread, and now I have
more knowledge of sherry wine than I ever did before! < Some of you
were correct in saying I don't drink it, but I like the smell of it, and
have enjoyed the flavor in cooking & baking, but as you can probably
guess, I haven't used it often and don't know one grade of sherry from
another, or what brand is good and which is more inferior.

The cake recipe is no doubt from back in the 70's and all my aunt wrote
1/2 cup sherry wine. What I had in the cupboard was cream sherry and
still smelled good, and it wasn't thick, or syrupy, but I didn't feel I
should take a chance with it, so I dumped it down the sink, and when my
hubby went to the liquor store, I told him to pick me up the smallest
bottle he could find of sherry. He came home with a 750 ml bottle of
Sheffield extra DRY sherry and on the back it said bottled by Gallo, so
maybe it wasn't a good choice? He paid almost $12 for it at the Golden
Keg at Safeway. I do plan to use it for the cake, and then look for
other recipes that call for sherry wine, and not hold on to it for so
long.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:49:09 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 23/06/2012 1:53 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
> >
> > My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> > 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> > opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> > number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> > and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> > bought it and opened it.
> >
> > How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> > thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> > necessary.

> Not trying to be a smart ass but if you aren't a sherry drinker you
> wouldn't know the difference if it has degraded a bit. Sherry is a
> fortified wine. Personally, I do not like sherry, but my wife does.
> There is often a bottle of opened sherry in our liquor cabinet. She
> knows her sherry and she has never complained about it being off.
> Besides, you are only using a small amount.
>
> FWIW... my wife used to make a sherry Bundt cake. It is great stuff. The
> only reason we don't do it more often is that Bundt cakes are
> substantial cakes and seem to last forever and we get tired of them

Instead of sherry I would use maraschino cherry juice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice and
> 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
> opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for a
> number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
> and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
> bought it and opened it.
>
> How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
> thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
> necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
> and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has some
> good suggestions for using it in cooking?
>
> Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if that
> could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Judy

It might still be OK, or it might not. Taste it and see.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet > wrote:

-snip-

> There's no cream in cream sherry; it's just a sweet sherry. Fine for
>cake making.

And I'd go for Savory and James at 1/2 the price of Harvey's--

> The alcohol content of sherry means an old opened bottle will almost
>certainly be fine for cooking with. If you want other use, add a dash to
>gravy.

I also use it to add a little umami to chowders and cream soups. My
wife uses it in her French onion soup. I use a splash in a potato
salad sometimes. It works for zabaglione, I prefer it to Marsala.

Oh-- and as someone pointed out, you can drink the stuff, too.<g>

Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Judy Haffner" > wrote in message

> I appreciate the feedback I've gotten in this thread, and now I have
> more knowledge of sherry wine than I ever did before! < Some of you
> were correct in saying I don't drink it, but I like the smell of it, and
> have enjoyed the flavor in cooking & baking, but as you can probably
> guess, I haven't used it often and don't know one grade of sherry from
> another, or what brand is good and which is more inferior.
>
> The cake recipe is no doubt from back in the 70's and all my aunt wrote
> 1/2 cup sherry wine. What I had in the cupboard was cream sherry and
> still smelled good, and it wasn't thick, or syrupy, but I didn't feel I
> should take a chance with it, so I dumped it down the sink, and when my
> hubby went to the liquor store, I told him to pick me up the smallest
> bottle he could find of sherry. He came home with a 750 ml bottle of
> Sheffield extra DRY sherry and on the back it said bottled by Gallo, so
> maybe it wasn't a good choice? He paid almost $12 for it at the Golden
> Keg at Safeway. I do plan to use it for the cake, and then look for
> other recipes that call for sherry wine, and not hold on to it for so
> long.

Sheffield is favored by winos. True.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:41:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Judy Haffner" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
>> > and
>> > 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
>> > opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for
>> > number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
>> > and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
>> > bought it and opened it.

>> Blech.
>>
>> > How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
>> > thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
>> > necessary. I just need 1/2 cup, so chances are, I would make the cake,
>> > and not use the wine again for a very long time, unless someone has
>> > some
>> > good suggestions for using it in cooking?

>> Sherry will keep a long time if stored properly. Yours has not.
>> Especially
>> opened. Taste it. If is pleasant and drinkable then you're OK. Don't
>> expect it to be. Go to a larger wine store or a market with a large
>> collection. You'll find many fine sweet sherry wines in half bottles.
>> Use
>> what you need and give away the rest. Almost all stores carry Harvey's
>> Bristol Cream. You can't go wrong with that. You want a sweet sherry.
>> The
>> good stuff will really add a lot to the cake. Cheap sherry like Gallo
>> will
>> not taste the same.
>>
>> > Also I think the grocery stores sell cooking sherry, so I wonder if
>> > that
>> > could be used for baking a cake, for a robust flavor?

>> Cooking sherry is spiked with a lot of salt. You do not want that for
>> baking. It is not drinkable.
>>
>> You could also enjoy trhe leftoiver sherry. A little glass, say 2 ounces
>> sipped over the course of a meal prep is a nice way to enjoy the stuff.
>> Good sherry wines are just incredibly good.
>>

> She didn't say the recipe called for cream sherry.

So? That's what would be best, IMO.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> says...
>>
>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 11:41:26 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
>> wrote:

>> > Blech.

>> > Sherry will keep a long time if stored properly. Yours has not.
>> > Especially
>> > opened. Taste it. If is pleasant and drinkable then you're OK. Don't
>> > expect it to be. Go to a larger wine store or a market with a large
>> > collection. You'll find many fine sweet sherry wines in half bottles.
>> > Use
>> > what you need and give away the rest. Almost all stores carry Harvey's
>> > Bristol Cream. You can't go wrong with that. You want a sweet sherry.
>> > The
>> > good stuff will really add a lot to the cake. Cheap sherry like Gallo
>> > will
>> > not taste the same.

>> > Cooking sherry is spiked with a lot of salt. You do not want that for
>> > baking. It is not drinkable.
>> >
>> > You could also enjoy trhe leftoiver sherry. A little glass, say 2
>> > ounces
>> > sipped over the course of a meal prep is a nice way to enjoy the stuff.
>> > Good sherry wines are just incredibly good.
>> >

>> She didn't say the recipe called for cream sherry.

> There's no cream in cream sherry; it's just a sweet sherry. Fine for
> cake making.

It's an fino, olorso and amontillado blend.

Paul

> The alcohol content of sherry means an old opened bottle will almost
> certainly be fine for cooking with. If you want other use, add a dash to
> gravy.
>
> Janet
>
> Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2012 5:06 PM, Janet wrote:

> There's no cream in cream sherry; it's just a sweet sherry. Fine for
> cake making.

I can't find where someone said there is cream in cream sherry. He
recommended cream sherry because he figured she'd want a quite sweet one.

> The alcohol content of sherry means an old opened bottle will almost
> certainly be fine for cooking with. If you want other use, add a dash to
> gravy.

This "old bottle" has 2001 on the label and she has no idea how long it
has been open and up in that cupboard. Sherry will continue to oxidize,
and unless sealed airtight the contents of the bottle will also
evaporate. When a bottle of wine has been open for ten or so years, my
instincts tell me to get a new one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Roy" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, June 23, 2012 3:49:09 PM UTC-6, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 23/06/2012 1:53 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:
>> >
>> > My aunt gave me a recipe for a cake using 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
>> > and
>> > 1/2 cup sherry wine, etc., that sounds really good. I found a bottle of
>> > opened sherry wine up in the cupboard that has no doubt been there for
>> > number of years. It has the name of the CA. winery where it was bottled
>> > and the date 2001 on the label, but I have no idea when I might have
>> > bought it and opened it.
>> >
>> > How long of a shelf life does it have? It still smells strong, but I'm
>> > thinking I should buy a fresh bottle, but don't want to, if it's not
>> > necessary.

>> Not trying to be a smart ass but if you aren't a sherry drinker you
>> wouldn't know the difference if it has degraded a bit. Sherry is a
>> fortified wine. Personally, I do not like sherry, but my wife does.
>> There is often a bottle of opened sherry in our liquor cabinet. She
>> knows her sherry and she has never complained about it being off.
>> Besides, you are only using a small amount.
>>
>> FWIW... my wife used to make a sherry Bundt cake. It is great stuff. The
>> only reason we don't do it more often is that Bundt cakes are
>> substantial cakes and seem to last forever and we get tired of them

> Instead of sherry I would use maraschino cherry juice.

Wow. How about V8 tropical fruit juice, or Welch's grape juice,
or Milanero's guava juice, or Ptolemy's dilute mango puree, or
Beakers tangerine medly, or Ocean Spit cranberry cocktail with
blueberries? There is no end to the crap you could recommend,
as long as you get your name on a posting, is there?

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 4:34*pm, (Judy Haffner) wrote:
> I appreciate the feedback I've gotten in this thread, and now I have
> more knowledge of sherry wine than I ever did before! < Some of you
> were correct in saying I don't drink it, but I like the smell of it, and
> have enjoyed the flavor in cooking & baking, but as you can probably
> guess, I haven't used it often and don't know one grade of sherry from
> another, or what brand is good and which is more inferior.
>
> The cake recipe is no doubt from back in the 70's and all my aunt wrote
> 1/2 cup sherry wine. What I had in the cupboard was cream sherry and
> still smelled good, and it wasn't thick, or syrupy, but I didn't feel I
> should take a chance with it, so I dumped it down the sink,

Aargh. If it looked good and smelled good, why not see if it tasted
good?

Sherry wine should have a long shelf life, even opened, because it is
fortified with extra alcohol (to 40 proof), and it is already fully
oxidized. Trust your taste.

and when my
> hubby went to the liquor store, I told him to pick me up the smallest
> bottle he could find of sherry. He came home with a 750 ml bottle of
> Sheffield extra DRY sherry and on the back it said bottled by Gallo, so
> maybe it wasn't a good choice? He paid almost $12 for it at the Golden
> Keg at Safeway. I do plan to use it for the cake, and then look for
> other recipes that call for sherry wine, and not hold on to it for so
> long.

I think of sherry as a winter drink -- good before bedtime and good in
eggnog. Make sherry trifles -- the inspiration for zuppa inglese.

Cooking sherry is packed with enough salt to make it undrinkable, btw.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:49:48 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>It might still be OK, or it might not. Taste it and see.
>
>Bob

Open for years? It certainly won't be good and can give an off taste
to the cake. Dump it, oxidation has ruined it after a few months.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Judy Haffner wrote:
> I appreciate the feedback I've gotten in this thread, and now I have
> more knowledge of sherry wine than I ever did before! < Some of you
> were correct in saying I don't drink it, but I like the smell of it, and
> have enjoyed the flavor in cooking & baking, but as you can probably
> guess, I haven't used it often and don't know one grade of sherry from
> another, or what brand is good and which is more inferior.
>
> The cake recipe is no doubt from back in the 70's and all my aunt wrote
> 1/2 cup sherry wine. What I had in the cupboard was cream sherry and
> still smelled good, and it wasn't thick, or syrupy, but I didn't feel I
> should take a chance with it, so I dumped it down the sink, and when my
> hubby went to the liquor store, I told him to pick me up the smallest
> bottle he could find of sherry. He came home with a 750 ml bottle of
> Sheffield extra DRY sherry and on the back it said bottled by Gallo, so
> maybe it wasn't a good choice? He paid almost $12 for it at the Golden
> Keg at Safeway. I do plan to use it for the cake, and then look for
> other recipes that call for sherry wine, and not hold on to it for so
> long.
>
> Judy

Take what chance? It makes me sad that you poured it out without
tasting it first.

-Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 14:28:49 +1000, atec77 <"atec77 >
wrote:

>On 24/06/2012 2:06 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 18:49:48 -0500, zxcvbob >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> It might still be OK, or it might not. Taste it and see.
>>>
>>> Bob

>> Open for years? It certainly won't be good and can give an off taste
>> to the cake. Dump it, oxidation has ruined it after a few months.
>>

>The final determination would be taste , not your incorrect suggestions
>as open in this instance means recorked

My suggestions are based on experience. It will taste oxidized. Prove
me incorrect.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:18:05 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> So? That's what would be best, IMO.
>
> Paul

"Sherry" means dry by default.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:19:30 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> It's an fino, olorso and amontillado blend.
>
> Paul

Oh, good god. It's Gallo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:28:32 -0600, Pennyaline
> wrote:

> On 6/23/2012 3:24 PM, sf wrote:
> > Use what you have on hand. If it doesn't smell musty or vinegary, I
> > don't see why it wouldn't be fine.

> If she's not a sherry drinker (and it seems that she is not) she may not
> appreciate whether it smells musty or otherwise. I doubt it was stored
> airtight, and at its age her bottle of sherry may be oxidized and
> evaporated down to a fairly funky syrup. It's unlikely that it survived
> the better part of a decade without degradation.

Degeneration doesn't mean it's not suitable for cooking, only for
drinking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 23:26:13 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

> Take what chance? It makes me sad that you poured it out without
> tasting it first.

A true noob with likker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:19:30 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>
>> It's an fino, olorso and amontillado blend.
>>
>> Paul

> Oh, good god. It's Gallo.

Gallo did not ivent the name. "Cream" sherry is not a brand. It is a
blend. There are many brand names of the blend. Like owww ma gawd!

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:18:05 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> So? That's what would be best, IMO.
>>
>> Paul

> "Sherry" means dry by default.

No it does not. There are many grades and classes of sherry. Many. I
suppose it is asking too much that you just back down and accept you don't
know what it is you are talking about? You would not know a fino from a
seco or an amantillado from a oloroso.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2012 1:11 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 16:28:32 -0600, Pennyaline
> > wrote:
>
>> On 6/23/2012 3:24 PM, sf wrote:
>>> Use what you have on hand. If it doesn't smell musty or vinegary, I
>>> don't see why it wouldn't be fine.

>> If she's not a sherry drinker (and it seems that she is not) she may not
>> appreciate whether it smells musty or otherwise. I doubt it was stored
>> airtight, and at its age her bottle of sherry may be oxidized and
>> evaporated down to a fairly funky syrup. It's unlikely that it survived
>> the better part of a decade without degradation.

> Degeneration doesn't mean it's not suitable for cooking, only for
> drinking.

I didn't say "degeneration." I said degradation. There is a big
difference between them. That bottle had been open for a decade as far
as anyone could tell, and ten years after opening, sitting in a recorked
bottle at room temperature under who knows what conditions, I'd say that
sherry was pretty well degraded beyond the point of being good for anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/06/2012 3:09 AM, sf wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:18:05 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>> So? That's what would be best, IMO.
>>
>> Paul

> "Sherry" means dry by default.

If that is so., why are some of them sold as dry sherry?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 18:08:15 +1000, atec77 <"atec77 >
wrote:

>>> The final determination would be taste , not your incorrect suggestions
>>> as open in this instance means recorked

>> My suggestions are based on experience. It will taste oxidized. Prove
>> me incorrect.
>>

>Ohffs
> his taste is what counts you pompas ass

Oh, when you don't have facts, call the other person names. How
classy.

Have you ever tasted sherry that had been opened for years? I have,
and it is not something that should be drunk or otherwise used. I
learned that after adding some to a pitcher of Sangria. I dumped the
whole thing.

What is your experience?

Buy a bottle, drink a glass and set it aside for two years. Let my
know how it tastes then.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> You would not know a fino from a seco or an amantillado from a oloroso.

I like amantillados but my all-time favorite is Lustau's moscatel.
It's sweet but not cream-sweet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/06/2012 1:26 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> The final determination would be taste , not your incorrect suggestions
>> as open in this instance means recorked

> My suggestions are based on experience. It will taste oxidized. Prove
> me incorrect.

Sure it will be oxidized. It won't be as good as the original, but the
OP doesn't know enough about sherry to know the difference, and there is
only a half cup of it in a cake.

FWIW... I have a bottle of Cherry Herring in my liquor cabinet that
liberated from my mother's liquor cabinet after she died 5 years ago. It
was my father's, and he died 14 years ago. He had had it for years
before he died. I occasionally have a nip of it. Last year I noticed
that it was starting to taste a little funky. It is close to 20 years
old and it still drinkable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 00:53:01 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

> No it does not. There are many grades and classes of sherry. Many. I
> suppose it is asking too much that you just back down and accept you don't
> know what it is you are talking about? You would not know a fino from a
> seco or an amantillado from a oloroso.

I don't need to know one single thing about a sherry I intend to cook
with other than it's sweet or dry. If I buy a fino, seco, amantillado
or oloroso, I sure a shootin' ain't gonna be cooking with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 18:09:02 +1000, atec77 <"atec77 >
wrote:

> On 24/06/2012 5:09 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 17:18:05 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> So? That's what would be best, IMO.
> >>
> >> Paul

> > "Sherry" means dry by default.
> >

> Sherry comes in dozens of "shades" not all being dry

We're not discussing sipping sherry in this thread.