Old 22-06-2012, 06:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Searching for Cheap Flights?

Many people believe that flying in a post-9/11 world is more expensive
than ever. Increased fuel costs have led to airlines adding fuel
surcharges, baggage fees, and all sorts of other charges to the cost
of an airline ticket. Further, US travellers are charged for the
privilege of waiting in long security checkpoint lines, thanks to a
federally-mandated security fee for each ticket sold.

However, the actual cost of airline tickets has dropped substantially
in recent years. The emergence of ‘budget’ airlines and increased
competition within the airline industry has led actual ticket costs to
fall over time. Believe it or not, the average airline ticket today
costs far less than tickets purchased 10 years ago, after the prices
are adjusted for inflation – even when you include various fees
associated with today’s tickets. Thanks to Internet booking services
like TravelPapa, airlines must compete in a much more vigorous manner
than ever before, resulting a huge number of cheap flights available
to customers. Visit: http://www.travelpapa.com

Old 22-06-2012, 07:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-22 17:56:42 +0000, fukushima teratori said:

[...]

Thanks for the information, Fukushima Teratori. I suppose flights into
the lovely coastal playground of Fukushimia province might well be
cheaper than usual for some time to come.

Old 24-06-2012, 01:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Let's talk about the Motofox sig file here...

MotoFox wrote:

By the way... what is a MotoFox anyway?

So anyway, you add this nifty hexadecimal sig file in all of your posts.
__________________________________________________ __
2D 2D 0D 0A 4D 6F 74 6F 46 6F 78 0D 0A 44 45 41
54 48 20 54 4F 20 45 42 43 44 49 43 21 21 16 04

__________________________________________________ __

I used to program in assembly language so I'm familiar with the hex number
system. I just now got around to deciphering it and going with ascii.

Other than the blank ascii characters and some that are symbols,
Your sig basically says:

MF
DEATH TO EBCDIC!!

Now that we all know, would you like to explain that? I'm curious.

G.
Old 24-06-2012, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

MotoFox wrote:

By the way... what is a MotoFox anyway?

So anyway, you add this nifty hexadecimal sig file in all of your posts.
__________________________________________________ __
2D 2D 0D 0A 4D 6F 74 6F 46 6F 78 0D 0A 44 45 41
54 48 20 54 4F 20 45 42 43 44 49 43 21 21 16 04

__________________________________________________ __

I used to program in assembly language so I'm familiar with the hex number
system. I just now got around to deciphering it and going with ascii.

Other than the blank ascii characters and some that are symbols,
Your sig basically says:

MF
DEATH TO EBCDIC!!

Now that we all know, would you like to explain that? I'm curious.

G.

Well, I just googled ebcdic.
I guess you're a just a programmer saying goodbye to the old days?
Old 24-06-2012, 03:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/23/2012 10:04 PM, MotoFox wrote:
And it came to pass that Gary delivered the following message unto the
people, saying~

Well, I just googled ebcdic.
I guess you're a just a programmer saying goodbye to the old days?

You're part of the way there......

Don't make me dig up my yellow card!

nancy

Old 24-06-2012, 06:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-24 00:30:58 +0000, Gary said:

I used to program in assembly language...

Just so you'll know--your brain will never be the same again.

Old 24-06-2012, 06:35 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-24 09:13:03 +0000, Sqwertz said:

The .sig makes no sense. Hex is a numbering system. EBCDIC is a
symbol encoding scheme. They have no relation to each other. It's
the lamest pseudo-nerd .sig that ever existed.

But it matches the rest of it's contributions to this group.

The irritation here and the reference to lowered IQ upstream makes me
think you might be a recovering programmer€¦?

Old 24-06-2012, 11:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-24 09:13:03 +0000, Sqwertz said:

The .sig makes no sense. Hex is a numbering system. EBCDIC is a
symbol encoding scheme. They have no relation to each other. It's
the lamest pseudo-nerd .sig that ever existed.

But it matches the rest of it's contributions to this group.

The irritation here and the reference to lowered IQ upstream makes me
think you might be a recovering programmer…?

He's recovering all right.

Old 25-06-2012, 06:27 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 4:43*pm, MotoFox wrote:

That's why I either drive or take the train. It just works out better that
way. Not nearly as much hassle. That, and trains are just damn cool.

And even in those few circumstances I have had to fly somewhere, I try to
avoid the commercial/korporate airlines (they're a bureaucratic nightmare)
and fly privately if/when I can.

(I've never really liked flying to begin with. Even before al-Bu$ha
orchestrated their September 11 bullshit, I didn't like to fly. Now I like
it even less.)

I have not flown in 47 years since I was 17 years old. I flew
5 times in a short span, once in a small plane. They're less safe in
the long haul than the big planes - sliding all over the place - but
the mere fact that I could still see the earth below made me feel like
we still had some kind of chance to glide in, not go down in a nose-
dive like the huge metal jet boxes.

I like to hear people complain about flying complications, as
if flying is any different from taking a stinking land bus. It's an
air bus, that's all. A lot of things that were luxuries yesterday are
necessities today, just as today's luxuries will be tomorrow's
necessities.

Anyway, I used to travel a lot - driving and hitch-hiking - and
I'm thinking about a trip to J'Ville to see my brother and also one to
NYC to see my sister, and I think I'm going to hitch hike both times.
Last time I hitched was about 13 years ago, to PA from NC, then a week
later, back the other way.

It's incredible the people who think they know things because
they hear them. "Oh, it's scary, hitch-hiking today - nobody will
pick you up." Really? Maybe if you cut giant scars into your face
along with a nose ring and a vest made of chains with no shirt beneath
it revealing a hairy mass with a very loud tattoo below it reading, "I
hate people!"

But believe me, they still stop. Oh there are period where you
think you'll never get out of where you're at - that you might just
die there - then out of nowhere someone stops, sometimes even when
your thumb isn't out. Everyone has a reason for stopping, Used to be
a lot of gays when I was younger, maybe even still today - but also a
lot of preachers looking for a chance to spring Jesus on you - who
knows why they stop? - but sometimes they stop just because they've
hitched themselves - and other times they'll stop because they want to
know if you have a license and will drive for them because they're
tired. I love that. Sure, it's no picnic in the rain, and it's bad
at night - but you don't have to deal with being confined in a moving
hell on wheels with a bunch of screaming children and their even more
annoyingly loud parents. Took a bus cross country 4 different times -
twice each way - vowing each time, never again. This time I mean it.
Unless it's freezing cold I'm ready to stand or sit in the elements
rather than be confined to a stinking seat with no leg room and a
bunch of buzzing my head to madness.

TJ
Old 25-06-2012, 10:55 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/24/2012 7:27 PM, Tommy Joe wrote:

[...]

My brother-in-laws would stop and pick up a guy hitching a ride - even
today. They once picked up Robert Zimmerman in Pittsburgh or
thereabouts. The army brats had recently come back to the states after
living on-base in Heidelberg. They were in a couple of trucks and the
oldest brother's wife was towing a large U-Haul to their new home. They
didn't know a thing about Dylan since they were out of the US for so
long. My brother-in-law asked him to sing something because he said he
wrote songs and sung and was pretty much sorry that he asked - that boy
had no talent as a singer and his songs were off-the-wall goofy!

Anyway, the guy promised him some weed as payment for the ride. And what
an eventful ride it was. Dylan would write a song about it later. One of
the trucks had a tire that disintegrated on the highway. They also had a
blown headgasket. The brothers' solution for a blown headgasket was to
go to a junkyard and put in a new old engine. Somebody suggested that
they just go to the Chevy dealer down the road and since it was freezing
cold, they thought that might be a better idea. When they walked in,
everybody was startled to see Dylan and froze in their tracks. The
brothers were wondering what the heck was going on and Dylan said "Maybe
they seen a ghost." The shop only charged them for the parts which the
brothers thought was a pretty good deal. My guess is that there wasn't
none of that "it'll be ready next Thursday" stuff either.

Once they got to Dylan's big house, there was no weed to be found. The
brothers thought the guy was trying to screw them over. He showed them
the photo that was going to be used on his new record. My brother-in-law
said that he later recognized it to be the cover of "Nashville Skyline."
I guess Dylan felt the need to show that he actually was a professional
recording artist and therefore trustworthy. All the brothers cared about
was that he kept his part of the deal and they went out onto the streets
looking for some grass. I like to imagine them out there in the darkness
and the cold searching for some smoke.

Old 25-06-2012, 10:59 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 22:27:41 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
wrote:

[...]

Hitching used to be a common method of transportation. We did it a
lot when I was in high school in the early 60s. I bet it is no more
than once a year that I see someone now.

I've pick up hitchhikes in the past, but these day, I've not.
Old 25-06-2012, 01:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:41:58 -0400, Gary wrote:

Gary wrote:

MotoFox wrote:

By the way... what is a MotoFox anyway?

So anyway, you add this nifty hexadecimal sig file in all of your posts.
__________________________________________________ __
2D 2D 0D 0A 4D 6F 74 6F 46 6F 78 0D 0A 44 45 41
54 48 20 54 4F 20 45 42 43 44 49 43 21 21 16 04
__________________________________________________ __

I used to program in assembly language so I'm familiar with the hex number
system. I just now got around to deciphering it and going with ascii.

Other than the blank ascii characters and some that are symbols,
Your sig basically says:

MF
DEATH TO EBCDIC!!

Now that we all know, would you like to explain that? I'm curious.

G.

Well, I just googled ebcdic.
I guess you're a just a programmer saying goodbye to the old days?

Don't feed the trolls.

The IQ of this group has dropped 30 points in the last 4 weeks.
There's pretty much no reason to hang out here anymore.

Estimating that there must be at least a hundred regular posters--
meaning around 10,000 total IQ points--30 seems like it's down in
the noise. Are you sure you didn't just miss the posts by
Sheldon? That would account for precisely the deficit
cited.

Mike Beede
Old 25-06-2012, 03:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-25 09:55:45 +0000, dsi1 said:

[...]

That happened to me one time but it was with John Lennon.

Old 26-06-2012, 08:54 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/25/2012 4:49 AM, gtr wrote:
On 2012-06-25 09:55:45 +0000, dsi1 said:

[...]

Well at least you picked up better singer/songwriters.

Old 28-06-2012, 10:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 25, 5:55*am, dsi1 wrote:

I'm so high and tired right now that I readily admit I cannot
decipher your post in it's entirety. But I saw the Zim? Dylan
reference. I got that. Ok, big deal, now we have to drag a celebrity
into it? No, just kidding, I read your post and enjoyed it, but was
not kidding when I said I was blasted as I read it and as I type it
now and it's not an easy thing for me, so please bear with me and
applaud me for me courage and stamina.

TJ