Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When you go a long time with little food, your stomach shrinks, does it?

When you go a long time with little food, your stomach shrinks, does it?
The stomach does not shrink. However, it can become enlarged if you eat enormous amounts of food: after digestion - and perhaps some indigestion - it will return to its previous size. But if your entire digestive system is accustomed to smaller portions, it will be overtaxed if it is suddently required to start over working. This means that overeating after a diet can cause a person to end up in the hospital. The size of the stomach can be reduced surgically to treat extreme obesity in a procedure commonly know as "stomach stapling."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/21/2012 12:41 AM, alval wrote:
> When you go a long time with little food, your stomach shrinks, does it?
> The stomach does not shrink. However, it can become enlarged if you eat enormous amounts of food: after digestion - and perhaps some indigestion - it will return to its previous size. But if your entire digestive system is accustomed to smaller portions, it will be overtaxed if it is suddently required to start over working. This means that overeating after a diet can cause a person to end up in the hospital. The size of the stomach can be reduced surgically to treat extreme obesity in a procedure commonly know as "stomach stapling."

I suspect that the stomach does shrink. I started eating half portions
of a serving over a decade ago and this has diminished my ability to eat
much at a sitting. The old guy that was sitting next to me in the
Japanese restaurant last night told me that I didn't eat much of my
food. He was right - my plate was practically full but I was stuffed on
the verge of feeling ill. I think it's pretty funny when an old guy says
you're not eating enough. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

alval wrote:
> When you go a long time with little food, your stomach shrinks, does
> it?
> The stomach does not shrink. However, it can become enlarged if you
> eat enormous amounts of food: after digestion - and perhaps some
> indigestion - it will return to its previous size. But if your
> entire digestive system is accustomed to smaller portions, it will be
> overtaxed if it is suddently required to start over working. This
> means that overeating after a diet can cause a person to end up in
> the hospital. The size of the stomach can be reduced surgically to
> treat extreme obesity in a procedure commonly know as "stomach
> stapling."

Who are you and why are you telling us this?

-S-