Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default hummus among us

I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make? I've never
tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my own. I could try
just something simple like hummus with garlic maybe.

I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me). I like the
Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good, but not one
near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I loved, but they
don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was lowfat. They made a great
black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I love just disappear one day
without warning and never come back. There was a gardenburger I loved.
Called something like American Classic. Even diehard carnivores would
mention how it smelled so good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and
dropped that variety.

Anyone know of Oasis products?
http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make? I've
> never tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my
> own. I could try just something simple like hummus with garlic maybe.
>
> I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me). I like
> the Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good,
> but not one near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I
> loved, but they don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was
> lowfat. They made a great black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I
> love just disappear one day without warning and never come back. There was
> a gardenburger I loved. Called something like American
> Classic. Even diehard carnivores would mention how it smelled so
> good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and dropped that
> variety.
> Anyone know of Oasis products?
> http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

I love the stuff they sell at Costco in the individual cups. I will eat the
Athenos but I prefer a different texture.

I have never made it although it looks dead easy to make. It's just so
concenient and cheap to buy.

My mom made it once and it was inedible. I have a feeling that the tahini
she used was either rancid or she used waaay too much of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>> I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make? I've
>> never tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my
>> own. I could try just something simple like hummus with garlic maybe.
>>
>> I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me). I like
>> the Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good,
>> but not one near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I
>> loved, but they don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was
>> lowfat. They made a great black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I
>> love just disappear one day without warning and never come back. There
>> was a gardenburger I loved. Called something like American
>> Classic. Even diehard carnivores would mention how it smelled so
>> good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and dropped that
>> variety.
>> Anyone know of Oasis products?
>> http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

> I love the stuff they sell at Costco in the individual cups. I will eat
> the Athenos but I prefer a different texture.
>
> I have never made it although it looks dead easy to make. It's just so
> concenient and cheap to buy.
>
> My mom made it once and it was inedible. I have a feeling that the tahini
> she used was either rancid or she used waaay too much of it.

ha! Reminds me when I was growing up (one of five kids) one of our
favorite questions was: what's for dinner? My mother upon hearing it for
about the 10th time in one day would whisper: "poison"

She was actually a very nice quiet person. So it was kinda funny and out of
character.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Somebody wrote:
>>> I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make? I've
>>> never tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my
>>> own. I could try just something simple like hummus with garlic maybe.
>>>
>>> I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me). I like
>>> the Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good,
>>> but not one near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I
>>> loved, but they don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was
>>> lowfat. They made a great black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I
>>> love just disappear one day without warning and never come back. There
>>> was a gardenburger I loved. Called something like American
>>> Classic. Even diehard carnivores would mention how it smelled so
>>> good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and dropped that
>>> variety.
>>> Anyone know of Oasis products?
>>> http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

>> I love the stuff they sell at Costco in the individual cups. I will eat
>> the Athenos but I prefer a different texture.
>>
>> I have never made it although it looks dead easy to make. It's just so
>> concenient and cheap to buy.
>>
>> My mom made it once and it was inedible. I have a feeling that the
>> tahini she used was either rancid or she used waaay too much of it.

> ha! Reminds me when I was growing up (one of five kids) one of our
> favorite questions was: what's for dinner? My mother upon hearing it for
> about the 10th time in one day would whisper: "poison"
>
> She was actually a very nice quiet person. So it was kinda funny and out
> of character.

That sounds like the kind of thing I would say. My daughter will ask me. I
will answer. Then she'll ask me again, totally forgetting that I already
told her. Often I will just make up something bizarre to see if she is
listening.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> My mom made it once and it was inedible. I have a feeling that the
>>> tahini she used was either rancid or she used waaay too much of it.

>> ha! Reminds me when I was growing up (one of five kids) one of our
>> favorite questions was: what's for dinner? My mother upon hearing it
>> for about the 10th time in one day would whisper: "poison"
>>
>> She was actually a very nice quiet person. So it was kinda funny and out
>> of character.

> That sounds like the kind of thing I would say. My daughter will ask me.
> I will answer. Then she'll ask me again, totally forgetting that I
> already told her. Often I will just make up something bizarre to see if
> she is listening.

How old is your daughter? How often is she actually listening... I like
your strategy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in
:

> Somebody wrote:
>> I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make? I've
>> never tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my
>> own. I could try just something simple like hummus with garlic
>> maybe.
>>
>> I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me). I like
>> the Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good,
>> but not one near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I
>> loved, but they don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was
>> lowfat. They made a great black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I
>> love just disappear one day without warning and never come back.
>> There was a gardenburger I loved. Called something like American
>> Classic. Even diehard carnivores would mention how it smelled so
>> good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and dropped that
>> variety.
>> Anyone know of Oasis products?
>> http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

> I love the stuff they sell at Costco in the individual cups. I will
> eat the Athenos but I prefer a different texture.
>
> I have never made it although it looks dead easy to make. It's just
> so concenient and cheap to buy.
>
> My mom made it once and it was inedible. I have a feeling that the
> tahini she used was either rancid or she used waaay too much of it.

If you're going to consider making your own hummus, also look in to baba
ganoush...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message

>>> ha! Reminds me when I was growing up (one of five kids) one of our
>>> favorite questions was: what's for dinner? My mother upon hearing it
>>> for about the 10th time in one day would whisper: "poison"
>>>
>>> She was actually a very nice quiet person. So it was kinda funny and
>>> out of character.

>> That sounds like the kind of thing I would say. My daughter will ask me.
>> I will answer. Then she'll ask me again, totally forgetting that I
>> already told her. Often I will just make up something bizarre to see if
>> she is listening.

> How old is your daughter? How often is she actually listening... I like
> your strategy.

She'll be 14 next month. She usually doesn't listen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
5.247...
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Somebody wrote:
>>> I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make? I've
>>> never tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my
>>> own. I could try just something simple like hummus with garlic
>>> maybe.
>>>
>>> I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me). I like
>>> the Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good,
>>> but not one near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I
>>> loved, but they don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was
>>> lowfat. They made a great black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I
>>> love just disappear one day without warning and never come back.
>>> There was a gardenburger I loved. Called something like American
>>> Classic. Even diehard carnivores would mention how it smelled so
>>> good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and dropped that
>>> variety.
>>> Anyone know of Oasis products?
>>> http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

>> I love the stuff they sell at Costco in the individual cups. I will
>> eat the Athenos but I prefer a different texture.
>>
>> I have never made it although it looks dead easy to make. It's just
>> so concenient and cheap to buy.
>>
>> My mom made it once and it was inedible. I have a feeling that the
>> tahini she used was either rancid or she used waaay too much of it.
>>

> If you're going to consider making your own hummus, also look in to baba
> ganoush...

I'm trying to grow eggplant again, but it's not going well. And even when I
had a couple great looking ones last year, when I went to harvest they had
hole in them. I suspect a worm? I didn't look too close... It was
disappointing. They looked so good till I turned them over.

I do like ganoush too. Don't have a blender though. Maybe I can make
chunky ganoush. I like chunky applesauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> That sounds like the kind of thing I would say. My daughter will ask
>>> me. I will answer. Then she'll ask me again, totally forgetting that I
>>> already told her. Often I will just make up something bizarre to see if
>>> she is listening.

>> How old is your daughter? How often is she actually listening... I like
>> your strategy.

> She'll be 14 next month. She usually doesn't listen.

What? Oh, sorry I was busy reading this text message I just got.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-20, Janet > wrote:

> Yes very. If you have a blender or food processor it only takes seconds
> to make delicious, healthy hummous with pure ingredients....

Yep. Definitely tabouli/hummus weather. I love celery
dipped in homemade hummus.

Canned chickpeas are OK. Nothing in the can but chickpeas, water, and
salt. Not so sure about the tahini, but you can find tahini at most
health food stores, so that's a good sign. Here's a good starting
point:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4uSf0d5yhw

I refuse to discuss yogurt and citric acid, other than to say they are
totally unnecessary. You decide. I may try some cumin in my next
batch.

enjoy
nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make? I've
> never tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my
> own. I could try just something simple like hummus with garlic maybe.
>
> I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me). I like
> the Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good,
> but not one near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I
> loved, but they don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was
> lowfat. They made a great black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I
> love just disappear one day without warning and never come back. There
> was a gardenburger I loved. Called something like American
> Classic. Even diehard carnivores would mention how it smelled so
> good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and dropped that
> variety.
> Anyone know of Oasis products?
> http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

You owe yourself a trip to the Mediterranean to try the real thing.
Yes, you can make it yourself, it's not difficult. A common way to
serve it is with Techina (basically Tahini with salt and lemon juice,
thinned with water) - that's my favorite.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-06-20, Janet > wrote:
>
>> Yes very. If you have a blender or food processor it only takes
>> seconds
>> to make delicious, healthy hummous with pure ingredients....

> Yep. Definitely tabouli/hummus weather. I love celery
> dipped in homemade hummus.
>
> Canned chickpeas are OK. Nothing in the can but chickpeas, water, and
> salt. Not so sure about the tahini, but you can find tahini at most
> health food stores, so that's a good sign. Here's a good starting
> point:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4uSf0d5yhw
>
> I refuse to discuss yogurt and citric acid, other than to say they are
> totally unnecessary. You decide. I may try some cumin in my next
> batch.
>
> enjoy
> nb

Thanks. I'm trying to stay away from acidic things so will try without...
celery sounds interesting. I like hummus on crunchy things like no salt
blue chips, or carrots. Maybe I will try on celery. I've never actually
bought celery in my entire life because I hate it, but with hummus on it, it
may be good. I've tried pb on it, but all it did is ruing the peanut
butter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>> I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make? I've
>> never tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my
>> own. I could try just something simple like hummus with garlic maybe.
>>
>> I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me). I like
>> the Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good,
>> but not one near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I
>> loved, but they don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was
>> lowfat. They made a great black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I
>> love just disappear one day without warning and never come back. There
>> was a gardenburger I loved. Called something like American
>> Classic. Even diehard carnivores would mention how it smelled so
>> good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and dropped that
>> variety.
>> Anyone know of Oasis products?
>> http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

> You owe yourself a trip to the Mediterranean to try the real thing. Yes,
> you can make it yourself, it's not difficult. A common way to serve it
> is with Techina (basically Tahini with salt and lemon juice, thinned with
> water) - that's my favorite.
>
> -S-

I am going to a health food store in the near future so will see if they
have that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message
>> Somebody wrote:
>>> I've been eating more hommos lately. Is it fairly easy to make?
>>> I've never tried but instead of buying store bought I should make my
>>> own. I could try just something simple like hummus with garlic
>>> maybe. I don't like pasty hummus (Athenos seems kinda pasty to me).
>>> I like
>>> the Sabria a lot but it is a bit pricey. Trader Joe's is very good,
>>> but not one near me. Not in bike range anyway. There was a brand I
>>> loved, but they don't have around here anymore. Oasis. It was
>>> lowfat. They made a great black bean 0 fat. I hate when products I
>>> love just disappear one day without warning and never come back.
>>> There was a gardenburger I loved. Called something like American
>>> Classic. Even diehard carnivores would mention how it smelled so
>>> good. But Kellogg or such bought the company and dropped that
>>> variety.
>>> Anyone know of Oasis products?
>>> http://www.omcfood.com/products/hommus.html

>> You owe yourself a trip to the Mediterranean to try the real thing.
>> Yes, you can make it yourself, it's not difficult. A common way to
>> serve it is with Techina (basically Tahini with salt and lemon
>> juice, thinned with water) - that's my favorite.
>>
>> -S-

> I am going to a health food store in the near future so will see if
> they have that.

IMHO, far better than a health food store is an ethnic neighborhood
where this is a popular native cuisine item. Start by wrapping your
taste buds around what it's supposed to taste like before you look at
alternatives. My first choice would be Arab - an Egyptian, Lebanese, or
similar restaurant in a neighborhood of people native to that land. (I
wouldn't go to the Lebanese restaurant in my own neighborhood - good,
but not the same thing.)

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-21, Steve Freides > wrote:

> IMHO, far better than a health food store is an ethnic neighborhood

Yeah. Nice if you gottem!

I'm remote. We only have two ethnicities. Young and old. Both go to
health food stores. Specially now that our primary supply of food is
becoming so polluted and toxic.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>>>
>>> You owe yourself a trip to the Mediterranean to try the real thing.
>>> Yes, you can make it yourself, it's not difficult. A common way to
>>> serve it is with Techina (basically Tahini with salt and lemon
>>> juice, thinned with water) - that's my favorite.
>>>
>>> -S-

>> I am going to a health food store in the near future so will see if
>> they have that.

> IMHO, far better than a health food store is an ethnic neighborhood where
> this is a popular native cuisine item. Start by wrapping your taste buds
> around what it's supposed to taste like before you look at alternatives.
> My first choice would be Arab - an Egyptian, Lebanese, or similar
> restaurant in a neighborhood of people native to that land. (I wouldn't
> go to the Lebanese restaurant in my own neighborhood - good, but not the
> same thing.)
>
> -S-

I'm in Louisville, ky. Not sure we have those! There was a new store in
the Highlands that was middle eastern, but it closed before I got the chance
to check it out. Was only there about 2 months.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Somebody" > wrote in message

>>> I love the stuff they sell at Costco in the individual cups. I will eat
>>> the Athenos but I prefer a different texture.
>>>
>>> I have never made it although it looks dead easy to make. It's just so
>>> concenient and cheap to buy.
>>>
>>> My mom made it once and it was inedible. I have a feeling that the
>>> tahini she used was either rancid or she used waaay too much of it.

>> ha! Reminds me when I was growing up (one of five kids) one of our
>> favorite questions was: what's for dinner? My mother upon hearing it
>> for about the 10th time in one day would whisper: "poison"
>>
>> She was actually a very nice quiet person. So it was kinda funny and out
>> of character.

> That sounds like the kind of thing I would say. My daughter will ask me.
> I will answer. Then she'll ask me again, totally forgetting that I
> already told her. Often I will just make up something bizarre to see if
> she is listening.

funny thing is my mom pretty much made the same thing every week, so why did
we ask her? There was chicken on Sunday, meatloaf Monday, Spaghetti and
meatballs Tuesday... fish on Friday. (My parents were real "meat and
potatoes" people) About once a month she would get a little wild and have
pancakes for dinner. But I never liked that. Pancakes are for breakfast,
not dinner!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> ha! Reminds me when I was growing up (one of five kids) one of our
>>> favorite questions was: what's for dinner? My mother upon hearing
>>> it for about the 10th time in one day would whisper: "poison"
>>>
>>> She was actually a very nice quiet person. So it was kinda funny
>>> and out of character.

>> That sounds like the kind of thing I would say. My daughter will
>> ask me. I will answer. Then she'll ask me again, totally forgetting
>> that I already told her. Often I will just make up something
>> bizarre to see if she is listening.

> funny thing is my mom pretty much made the same thing every week, so
> why did we ask her? There was chicken on Sunday, meatloaf Monday,
> Spaghetti and meatballs Tuesday... fish on Friday. (My parents were
> real "meat and potatoes" people) About once a month she would get a
> little wild and have pancakes for dinner. But I never liked that.
> Pancakes are for breakfast, not dinner!

We only had pancakes when we were too poor for anything else. We didn't
have a lot of variety in our meals either.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Walmart, leastwise the ones in the metro Detroit area, sells tahini.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:24:19 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> funny thing is my mom pretty much made the same thing every week, so why did
> we ask her? There was chicken on Sunday, meatloaf Monday, Spaghetti and
> meatballs Tuesday... fish on Friday. (My parents were real "meat and
> potatoes" people) About once a month she would get a little wild and have
> pancakes for dinner. But I never liked that. Pancakes are for breakfast,
> not dinner!

My mother was like that too: the "if it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium"
type. I didn't really notice it as a little kid, but I became very
aware of it as a teenager when my grandparents (her parents) spent the
winter months with us in California. And you're right about pancakes,
although I think chicken and waffles is/are (one plate with both items
on it) really good for dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:24:19 -0400, "Somebody"
> > wrote:
>
>> funny thing is my mom pretty much made the same thing every week, so why
>> did
>> we ask her? There was chicken on Sunday, meatloaf Monday, Spaghetti and
>> meatballs Tuesday... fish on Friday. (My parents were real "meat and
>> potatoes" people) About once a month she would get a little wild and
>> have
>> pancakes for dinner. But I never liked that. Pancakes are for
>> breakfast,
>> not dinner!

> My mother was like that too: the "if it's Tuesday, it must be Belgium"
> type. I didn't really notice it as a little kid, but I became very
> aware of it as a teenager when my grandparents (her parents) spent the
> winter months with us in California. And you're right about pancakes,
> although I think chicken and waffles is/are (one plate with both items
> on it) really good for dinner.

I've never heard of chicken and waffles... my mom would make "pigs in the
blanket" about once every two weeks. Didn't eat with the family those
nights!

I did like pancakes with applesauce in them, but tricky flipping.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 20, 7:15*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> "Steve Freides" > wrote in message

> > Somebody wrote:

> >> I am going to a health food store in the near future so will see if
> >> they have that.

> > IMHO, far better than a health food store is an ethnic neighborhood where
> > this is a popular native cuisine item. *Start by wrapping your taste buds
> > around what it's supposed to taste like before you look at alternatives..
> > My first choice would be Arab - an Egyptian, Lebanese, or similar
> > restaurant in a neighborhood of people native to that land. *(I wouldn't
> > go to the Lebanese restaurant in my own neighborhood - good, but not the
> > same thing.)

> > -S-

> *I'm in Louisville, ky. *Not sure we have those! *There was a new store in
> the Highlands that was middle eastern, but it closed before I got the chance
> to check it out. *Was only there about 2 months.

I found it in the organic section of my usual grocery store.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:00:38 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> I've never heard of chicken and waffles...

You will soon. See if a restaurant near you has it on the menu. I
thought it was a horrifying combination until I finally tried it. Now
I'm a convert to the one and true way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:00:38 -0400, "Somebody"
> > wrote:
>
>> I've never heard of chicken and waffles...

> You will soon. See if a restaurant near you has it on the menu. I
> thought it was a horrifying combination until I finally tried it. Now
> I'm a convert to the one and true way.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

The KFC's here have chicken livers on the menu.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:29:10 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:00:38 -0400, "Somebody"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I've never heard of chicken and waffles...

> > You will soon. See if a restaurant near you has it on the menu. I
> > thought it was a horrifying combination until I finally tried it. Now
> > I'm a convert to the one and true way.
> >

> The KFC's here have chicken livers on the menu.

If they were in pate form, I could work up some excitement. Are you
in the South?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:29:10 -0400, "Somebody"
> > wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 14:00:38 -0400, "Somebody"

>> > You will soon. See if a restaurant near you has it on the menu. I
>> > thought it was a horrifying combination until I finally tried it. Now
>> > I'm a convert to the one and true way.
>> >

>> The KFC's here have chicken livers on the menu.
>>

> If they were in pate form, I could work up some excitement. Are you
> in the South?

depends who you ask. During the Civil War, it was technically part of the
North. But you ask just about anyone that lives here, it's the South.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Jun 2012 01:20:17 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 23:29:10 -0400, "Somebody"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> The KFC's here have chicken livers on the menu.
> >>

> > If they were in pate form, I could work up some excitement. Are you
> > in the South?

> depends who you ask. During the Civil War, it was technically part of the
> North. But you ask just about anyone that lives here, it's the South.

Heh, well that explains why you have chicken livers at KFC.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Freides" > wrote in message

> You owe yourself a trip to the Mediterranean to try the real thing. Yes,
> you can make it yourself, it's not difficult. A common way to serve it
> is with Techina (basically Tahini with salt and lemon juice, thinned with
> water) - that's my favorite.
>
> -S-

I have a sister that has lived in Bandol for many years, but I'm afraid I'd
be an ugly american. I've tried to learn Spanish and other languages, but
they just don't stick... I don't really travel well anyway and don't like to
by myself. Maybe with my niece someday...

For now, was at a local health food store and didn't find the tahini. Asked
some young girl clerk and she acted like she'd never heard of it. Kinda
strange. Then she took me to an aisle and said if we have it, it will be in
this aisle-- and abandoned me. I asked another clerk and she showed me a
couple but it seemed pricey. 7.99 and 10.99 for small bottles. I think I
will check Kroger... I need to go there and get some chocolate; Christopher
M. Bear has me wanting some even more.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 1:49*am, sf > wrote:
............................................Somebo dy wrote:

> Heh, well that explains why you have chicken livers at KFC.

depends who you ask. During the Civil War, it was technically part of
the
North. But you ask just about anyone that lives here, it's the
South.

I'm from the north and I love chicken livers. The few times I
tried to make them I did not like the results. Most places put too
much batter on them. I don't like the battered ones at all. A little
flour is nice though.

But I'm not here to talk about chicken livers or where people
come from, I'm here to talk about hummus. I know how to make it
because I've made it quite a few times. But I never learned the more
"modern" method of doing it in a blender. I'm all for it, but since
I'm not up on it, I can't help with advice doing it that way. I can
only tell you how I used to make it.

I used a mortar and pestle. It was made of wood. I made sure
it was clean of course. It did a lot of sitting between use. I would
take almost a full bulb of garlic and dice it up and put it in the
bowl (is that the mortar?), and go round and round with the stick (is
that the pestle?), till the garlic was reduced to butter, really
smooth.

Now, into that garlic I would place about 4 heaping tablespoons
of tahini. Gotta stir it up pretty good first, a bitch sometimes.
Now you take a spoon and mix the tahini and the garlic until it begins
to get thick and hard like flour when it's not wet enough. Haven't
used flour in a while, maybe a bad analogy.

At the time the mix gets so hard it can't be mixed, that's when
you pour in the juice of half a lemon and stir it up. Then a bit
more. Keep adding the lemon - might take more than one, or you can
use cold water - and the mix will smooth out nice and creamy. This is
what is sometimes used as tartar sauce for fish.

While this process is taking place I have two cans of hummus
that have been rinsed multiple times heating on low in a pot to soften
them up even more. When they come out I put them in cold water and
then drain. I put them in a bowl and mash them with a potato masher.
Then I take them and put them on a big plate and mash then even finer
using a fork.

The finally mashed garbonzos are then added to the garlic,
lemon, and tahini mixture. That's all there is, those four
ingredients, plus salt and pepper if you want. When I first saw the
Whole Foods brand of hummus, it was the best I ever had store bought.
It had only those ingredients in it. Then a short time ago I bought
some and it seemed more watery than normal. I chalked it up to
something temporary. Next time I bought it, same thing. I looked at
the ingredients and olive oil and cumin and maybe one other thing had
been added, none of which in my opinion enhanced the product. There
must be another reason for it. It's not as good as it was, but I'll
still take it over any commercial hummus I've seen yet. If you use a
blender you can use the same ingredients I mentioned and just go from
there. Can't say how it'll come out though, never made it that way -
just the old fashioned way. And before that there was a way that was
even more old fashioned.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 22, 1:49*am, sf > wrote:

> Heh, well that explains why you have chicken livers at KFC.

Somebody mentioned zuchini being used in hummous, in place of the
chick peas. My first thought was "no way", and still is. But I can
see using smashed chicken livers in place of the garbonzos. It could
work. You could be the first one to make it and become a
millionaire. All I ask is that you give me credit for the concept on
national tv. No money required.

The idea guy - who lacks the courage to conduct the experiments
himself, but asks little from those who do
TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message
On Jun 22, 1:49 am, sf > wrote:

> Heh, well that explains why you have chicken livers at KFC.

Somebody mentioned zuchini being used in hummous, in place of the
chick peas. My first thought was "no way", and still is. But I can
see using smashed chicken livers in place of the garbonzos. It could
work. You could be the first one to make it and become a
millionaire. All I ask is that you give me credit for the concept on
national tv. No money required.

The idea guy - who lacks the courage to conduct the experiments
himself, but asks little from those who do
TJ

---

I refuse to participate in the chicken holocaust.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tommy Joe" > wrote in message
On Jun 22, 1:49 am, sf > wrote:
............................................Somebo dy wrote:

> Heh, well that explains why you have chicken livers at KFC.

depends who you ask. During the Civil War, it was technically part of
the
North. But you ask just about anyone that lives here, it's the
South.

I'm from the north and I love chicken livers. The few times I
tried to make them I did not like the results. Most places put too
much batter on them. I don't like the battered ones at all. A little
flour is nice though.

But I'm not here to talk about chicken livers or where people
come from, I'm here to talk about hummus. I know how to make it
because I've made it quite a few times. But I never learned the more
"modern" method of doing it in a blender. I'm all for it, but since
I'm not up on it, I can't help with advice doing it that way. I can
only tell you how I used to make it.

I used a mortar and pestle. It was made of wood...
---

interesting. I actually had one in my hand this afternoon. At Rainbow
Blossom while looking for Tahini while picking up my special order of 48
Fri-Pats (Worthington veggie patties. Have to special order by the case.).
I wondered: who would ever use a wooden mortar and pestle. That has got to
be a health hazard. Now I know!

(Full Disclosu my mom did use a wooden cutting board and cut chicken on
it, among other things. And I bought one when I had my own place. Though
later I read they are a harbinger of all kinds of nasties and stopped using
one... When I was in Target today looking for a potato masher to mash chick
peas, there was literally about a dozen different kinds of wooden cutting
boards.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 04:40:43 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:
>
> (Full Disclosu my mom did use a wooden cutting board and cut chicken on
> it, among other things. And I bought one when I had my own place. Though
> later I read they are a harbinger of all kinds of nasties and stopped using
> one... When I was in Target today looking for a potato masher to mash chick
> peas, there was literally about a dozen different kinds of wooden cutting
> boards.)

I still have several bamboo cutting boards, but I've moved on to using
the plastic cutting mats for just about everything.