Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default mushrooms

Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. So I usually by the white ones, the
generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down the
street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me.
Lucky me! One of the things I like about where I live.) So the fruit stand
has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and I don't
really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them. The ones
from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to cut... They
appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. I try to get
fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the mushrooms-- I
prefer the big supermarket's.

I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones are
kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:43:09 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. So I usually by the white ones, the
> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down the
> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me.
> Lucky me! One of the things I like about where I live.) So the fruit stand
> has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and I don't
> really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them. The ones
> from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to cut... They
> appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. I try to get
> fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the mushrooms-- I
> prefer the big supermarket's.
>
> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones are
> kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

I don't know... but maybe it's the same syndrome as battery farmed
eggs vs. free range - where the difference isn't appreciated or even
sought after by many.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:43:09 -0400, "Somebody"
> > wrote:
>
>> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. So I usually by the white ones, the
>> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down the
>> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me.
>> Lucky me! One of the things I like about where I live.) So the fruit
>> stand
>> has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and I don't
>> really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them. The ones
>> from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to cut... They
>> appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. I try to get
>> fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the mushrooms-- I
>> prefer the big supermarket's.
>>
>> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
>> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
>> are
>> kinda loose and not as easy to work with.
>>

> I don't know... but maybe it's the same syndrome as battery farmed
> eggs vs. free range - where the difference isn't appreciated or even
> sought after by many.

which side of the fence do you stand on (regarding factory farm caged vs.
cage free)?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. So I usually by the white ones, the
> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down the
> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me.
> Lucky me! One of the things I like about where I live.) So the fruit
> stand has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and I
> don't really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them. The
> ones from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to cut...
> They appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. I try to
> get fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the mushrooms--
> I prefer the big supermarket's.
>
> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
> are kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

Not sure what you mean by loose. Do you mean you can see the gills on the
underside? If so they are old. Not necessarily a bad thing. If you are
chopping them to use, they will have superior flavor. If you just want the
caps for stuffing or you want pretty slices, by the young ones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Somebody" > wrote in message
>> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. So I usually by the white ones, the
>> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down the
>> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me.
>> Lucky me! One of the things I like about where I live.) So the fruit
>> stand has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and I
>> don't really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them. The
>> ones from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to cut...
>> They appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. I try
>> to get fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the
>> mushrooms-- I prefer the big supermarket's.
>>
>> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
>> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
>> are kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

> Not sure what you mean by loose. Do you mean you can see the gills on the
> underside? If so they are old. Not necessarily a bad thing. If you are
> chopping them to use, they will have superior flavor. If you just want
> the caps for stuffing or you want pretty slices, by the young ones.

The underside is closed; they aren't old... But when you cut them, they
kinda fall apart. Almost mooshy, but don't seem to be old. Don't feel firm.
I've tried a few times from the fruit market and they are always that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Somebody" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Somebody" > wrote in message
>>> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. So I usually by the white ones, the
>>> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down the
>>> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me.
>>> Lucky me! One of the things I like about where I live.) So the fruit
>>> stand has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and
>>> I don't really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them.
>>> The ones from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to
>>> cut... They appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones.
>>> I try to get fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the
>>> mushrooms-- I prefer the big supermarket's.
>>>
>>> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
>>> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
>>> are kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

>> Not sure what you mean by loose. Do you mean you can see the gills on
>> the underside? If so they are old. Not necessarily a bad thing. If you
>> are chopping them to use, they will have superior flavor. If you just
>> want the caps for stuffing or you want pretty slices, by the young ones.

> The underside is closed; they aren't old... But when you cut them, they
> kinda fall apart. Almost mooshy, but don't seem to be old. Don't feel
> firm. I've tried a few times from the fruit market and they are always
> that way.

Oh. Hmmm... I just don't know then.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Somebody" > wrote in message

>>> Not sure what you mean by loose. Do you mean you can see the gills on
>>> the underside? If so they are old. Not necessarily a bad thing. If
>>> you are chopping them to use, they will have superior flavor. If you
>>> just want the caps for stuffing or you want pretty slices, by the young
>>> ones.

>> The underside is closed; they aren't old... But when you cut them, they
>> kinda fall apart. Almost mooshy, but don't seem to be old. Don't feel
>> firm. I've tried a few times from the fruit market and they are always
>> that way.

> Oh. Hmmm... I just don't know then.

I will file it away as "unknown, don't worry about it."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 10:45*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > "Somebody" > wrote in message
> >> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. *So I usually by the white ones, the
> >> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down the
> >> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me..
> >> Lucky me! *One of the things I like about where I live.) *So the fruit
> >> stand has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and I
> >> don't really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them. The
> >> ones from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to cut....
> >> They appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. *I try
> >> to get fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the
> >> mushrooms-- *I prefer the big supermarket's.

> >> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. *I wonder why the
> >> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
> >> are kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

> > Not sure what you mean by loose. *Do you mean you can see the gills on the
> > underside? *If so they are old. *Not necessarily a bad thing. *If you are
> > chopping them to use, they will have superior flavor. *If you just want
> > the caps for stuffing or you want pretty slices, by the young ones.

> The underside is closed; they aren't old... But when you cut them, they
> kinda fall apart. *Almost mooshy, but don't seem to be old. Don't feel firm.
> I've tried a few times from the fruit market and they are always that way..

Are they refrigerated where you buy them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 10:45 pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > "Somebody" > wrote in message
> >> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. So I usually by the white ones, the
> >> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down
> >> the
> >> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me.
> >> Lucky me! One of the things I like about where I live.) So the fruit
> >> stand has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and
> >> don't really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them.
> >> The
> >> ones from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to
> >> cut...
> >> They appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. I try
> >> to get fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the
> >> mushrooms-- I prefer the big supermarket's.

> >> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
> >> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
> >> are kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

> > Not sure what you mean by loose. Do you mean you can see the gills on
> > the
> > underside? If so they are old. Not necessarily a bad thing. If you are
> > chopping them to use, they will have superior flavor. If you just want
> > the caps for stuffing or you want pretty slices, by the young ones.

> The underside is closed; they aren't old... But when you cut them, they
> kinda fall apart. Almost mooshy, but don't seem to be old. Don't feel
> firm.
> I've tried a few times from the fruit market and they are always that way.

Are they refrigerated where you buy them?

---
yes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 01:26:29 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:43:09 -0400, "Somebody"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
> >> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
> >> are kinda loose and not as easy to work with.
> >>

> > I don't know... but maybe it's the same syndrome as battery farmed
> > eggs vs. free range - where the difference isn't appreciated or even
> > sought after by many.

> which side of the fence do you stand on (regarding factory farm caged vs.
> cage free)?

I'm a fence sitter. I don't like the "richness" of real free range
(home style: pets) eggs; grocery store "free range" (which aren't free
in the same sense as pet chickens) - are okay, but I'm fine with
regular battery chicken eggs. The problem is that I have an ethical
dilemma with the way they are housed and treated. I don't think "cage
free" chickens that produce eggs in grocery store quantities are
treated much better; but at least they have a little more room to move
around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 01:26:29 -0400, "Somebody"
> > wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:43:09 -0400, "Somebody"

>> > I don't know... but maybe it's the same syndrome as battery farmed
>> > eggs vs. free range - where the difference isn't appreciated or even
>> > sought after by many.

>> which side of the fence do you stand on (regarding factory farm caged vs.
>> cage free)?
>>

> I'm a fence sitter. I don't like the "richness" of real free range
> (home style: pets) eggs; grocery store "free range" (which aren't free
> in the same sense as pet chickens) - are okay, but I'm fine with
> regular battery chicken eggs. The problem is that I have an ethical
> dilemma with the way they are housed and treated. I don't think "cage
> free" chickens that produce eggs in grocery store quantities are
> treated much better; but at least they have a little more room to move
> around.

That can't be very comfortable. Being a fence sitter...

at least the "cage free" have some room and don't peck each others feathers
off... what is "battery chicken eggs"?

The generic hen pecked eggs are about half the price, but I feel better
buying the cage free. They are just stupid chickens, but still. I don't
believe in Karma literally, but figuratively. It's a good concept... I can
pay the extra $1 to get ones from one that at least get to walk around, and
aren't being constantly being pecked at by their "neighbors" because they
are all psychotic from being in pens too close to each other. And the
chicken shit, apparently stinks to high Heaven from the ones in the pens.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 12:38:12 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> at least the "cage free" have some room and don't peck each others feathers
> off... what is "battery chicken eggs"?

Eggs that come from battery chickens (hens)
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-battery-hens.htm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 01:26:29 -0400, "Somebody"
> > wrote:
>
>> "sf" > wrote in message
>>> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 00:43:09 -0400, "Somebody"

>>> I don't know... but maybe it's the same syndrome as battery farmed
>>> eggs vs. free range - where the difference isn't appreciated or even
>>> sought after by many.

>> which side of the fence do you stand on (regarding factory farm caged vs.
>> cage free)?
>>

> I'm a fence sitter. I don't like the "richness" of real free range
> (home style: pets) eggs; grocery store "free range" (which aren't free
> in the same sense as pet chickens) - are okay, but I'm fine with
> regular battery chicken eggs. The problem is that I have an ethical
> dilemma with the way they are housed and treated. I don't think "cage
> free" chickens that produce eggs in grocery store quantities are
> treated much better; but at least they have a little more room to move
> around.

I was going to say you probably have to get eggs at some tiny
local farm that has chickens. Some years ago, I noticed that a
rather pricy little food store (Formaggio, specifically the
Cambridge one--that for locals) carried eggs from a farm out in
the 'burbs. I bought eggs at that egg farm for a while and then
realized I never saw the chickens! They were cage free, but they
were in the barn. Then I drove farther down the road and saw what
looked to be a rather large hen house.

Also, when I was house-hunting, I went fairly far afield. At one
point, I drove past the home of a rather well-known producer of
eggs from cage-free hens. They were in hen houses.

There is a tiny farm that really treats their animals, including
hens, well. They are really out doing what they should be doing.
Their eggs seemed rather pricy to me, but then I realized that
the other eggs I was buying were almost exactly the same price.
Also, when compared to the price of meat, they are a very cheap
source of protein. Hmmm. I need to drive out to the farm next
door to see whether we still have local strawberries, so I'll also
get some nice eggs.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 19:27:36 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:

> I was going to say you probably have to get eggs at some tiny
> local farm that has chickens.

Local farms like that aren't very local and it would cost me more in
gas than I'd pay for the eggs even if I knew where to find them. My
opinion about free range chicken eggs was based on the eggs my
mother's chicken produced. They were very, very rich and I don't like
eggs well enough to appreciate that. I want my eggs as bland as
possible. Hubby *loves* eggs, but they were too rich for him too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jun 2012 19:27:36 -0400, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> I was going to say you probably have to get eggs at some tiny
>> local farm that has chickens.

> Local farms like that aren't very local and it would cost me more in
> gas than I'd pay for the eggs even if I knew where to find them. My
> opinion about free range chicken eggs was based on the eggs my
> mother's chicken produced. They were very, very rich and I don't like
> eggs well enough to appreciate that. I want my eggs as bland as
> possible. Hubby *loves* eggs, but they were too rich for him too.

Yes, I suspected that you didn't have easy access to any such
place. Hmmm. If it weren't so hot, I'd head out there now.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 18, 10:45*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > "Somebody" > wrote in message
> >> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. *So I usually by the white ones, the
> >> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down the
> >> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me..
> >> Lucky me! *One of the things I like about where I live.) *So the fruit
> >> stand has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and I
> >> don't really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them. The
> >> ones from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to cut....
> >> They appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. *I try
> >> to get fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the
> >> mushrooms-- *I prefer the big supermarket's.

> >> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. *I wonder why the
> >> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
> >> are kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

> > Not sure what you mean by loose. *Do you mean you can see the gills on the
> > underside? *If so they are old. *Not necessarily a bad thing. *If you are
> > chopping them to use, they will have superior flavor. *If you just want
> > the caps for stuffing or you want pretty slices, by the young ones.

> The underside is closed; they aren't old... But when you cut them, they
> kinda fall apart. *Almost mooshy, but don't seem to be old. Don't feel firm.
> I've tried a few times from the fruit market and they are always that way..

Big mushroom growers water their mushrooms just before harvesting them
so that they are full of water.
That way they weight more and the mushroom grower makes a bigger per
pound profit.

I have a friend who is a small grower. They don't water their
mushrooms before harvest so you get a more true weight per pound.
It's the water that makes the mushroom feel firm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 10:45 pm, "Somebody" > wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> > "Somebody" > wrote in message
> >> Tengo una pregunta sobre mushrooms. So I usually by the white ones, the
> >> generic "iceberg lettuce" of mushrooms. Anyway, the fruit stand down
> >> the
> >> street (there is a fruit and vegetable stand just a few blocks from me.
> >> Lucky me! One of the things I like about where I live.) So the fruit
> >> stand has white mushrooms too, but they are "loose" when I cut them and
> >> don't really like them. Kinda fall apart in my hands when I cut them.
> >> The
> >> ones from Kroger (from CA or such) are always "tight" and easy to
> >> cut...
> >> They appear to be the same variety but I prefer the Kroger ones. I try
> >> to get fruits and vegetable from the nearby fruit stand, but the
> >> mushrooms-- I prefer the big supermarket's.

> >> I guess it was not so much a question, as a comment. I wonder why the
> >> Kroger ones are "tight" and easier to cut. Whereas the fruit stand ones
> >> are kinda loose and not as easy to work with.

> > Not sure what you mean by loose. Do you mean you can see the gills on
> > the
> > underside? If so they are old. Not necessarily a bad thing. If you are
> > chopping them to use, they will have superior flavor. If you just want
> > the caps for stuffing or you want pretty slices, by the young ones.

> The underside is closed; they aren't old... But when you cut them, they
> kinda fall apart. Almost mooshy, but don't seem to be old. Don't feel
> firm.
> I've tried a few times from the fruit market and they are always that way.

Big mushroom growers water their mushrooms just before harvesting them
so that they are full of water.
That way they weight more and the mushroom grower makes a bigger per
pound profit.

I have a friend who is a small grower. They don't water their
mushrooms before harvest so you get a more true weight per pound.
It's the water that makes the mushroom feel firm.

---

So I like watered down mushrooms? I do like the firm ones, easier to cut
and not crumble. The white ones don't have much flavor though, but they are
good at soaking up what they are in as someone said earlier.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:

>Big mushroom growers water their mushrooms just before harvesting them
>so that they are full of water.
>That way they weigh more and the mushroom grower makes a bigger per
>pound profit.
>
>I have a friend who is a small grower. They don't water their
>mushrooms before harvest so you get a more true weight per pound.
>It's the water that makes the mushroom feel firm.

I always knew there was a logical reason for those wet tee shirt
contests.

Hmm, cold water has just the opposite effect on me. hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:27:48 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> So I like watered down mushrooms? I do like the firm ones, easier to cut
> and not crumble. The white ones don't have much flavor though, but they are
> good at soaking up what they are in as someone said earlier.

I wonder if they do that as much anymore because I haven't thought
about watery mushrooms in years and I don't treat them with kid gloves
either. I run a lot of water over them when I'm preparing them and I
never have mushroom "juice" that needs to evaporate before they start
to cook.

--

You are what you eat, so avoid fruitcake and nuts.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default fungus among us -was "mushrooms"

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:27:48 -0400, "Somebody"
> > wrote:
>
>> So I like watered down mushrooms? I do like the firm ones, easier to cut
>> and not crumble. The white ones don't have much flavor though, but they
>> are
>> good at soaking up what they are in as someone said earlier.
>>

> I wonder if they do that as much anymore because I haven't thought
> about watery mushrooms in years and I don't treat them with kid gloves
> either. I run a lot of water over them when I'm preparing them and I
> never have mushroom "juice" that needs to evaporate before they start
> to cook.

I run water over them and push around with my thumb to get the dirt off and
the dark spots. I read real 'shroom snubs look down at washing them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> Big mushroom growers water their mushrooms just before harvesting them
> so that they are full of water.
> That way they weight more and the mushroom grower makes a bigger per
> pound profit.
>
> I have a friend who is a small grower. They don't water their
> mushrooms before harvest so you get a more true weight per pound.
> It's the water that makes the mushroom feel firm.

Very interesting. BTW, I try to buy morels that are as dried out
as possible, which makes them semi-affordable.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 11:17:58 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 22:27:48 -0400, "Somebody"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> So I like watered down mushrooms? I do like the firm ones, easier to cut
> >> and not crumble. The white ones don't have much flavor though, but they
> >> are
> >> good at soaking up what they are in as someone said earlier.
> >>

> > I wonder if they do that as much anymore because I haven't thought
> > about watery mushrooms in years and I don't treat them with kid gloves
> > either. I run a lot of water over them when I'm preparing them and I
> > never have mushroom "juice" that needs to evaporate before they start
> > to cook.

> I run water over them and push around with my thumb to get the dirt off and
> the dark spots. I read real 'shroom snubs look down at washing them.

I know. They even sell special mushroom brushes, but I just use an
old fashioned vegetable brush. My DD carefully wipes all the
mushrooms down with a damp paper towel, but I give them a bath (minus
the bubbles).