FoodBanter.com

-   -   something I've noticed about this group (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/418365-something-ive-noticed-about.html)

Somebody 18-06-2012 02:30 PM

something I've noticed about this group

In my short time here, I haven't seen anyone use any obscenities. And most
the posts are erudite, and most of the words are spelled correctly (except
for Tommy Joe-- and a handful of others-- on the former, and latter.) And
there is a fair amount of things discussed that are only tangentially
related to cooking, but there is also a plethora of cooking tips and many
helpful posts about what to do with zucchini, etc.

And people here still use the word "Usenet" It's like some outpost that
survived the AOL and Facebook onslaught. I wonder if there are other
outposts out there in this beyond thunderdome post-AOL world?

A Moose In Love 18-06-2012 02:54 PM

On Jun 18, 9:30*am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> In my short time here, I haven't seen anyone use any obscenities. *And most
> the posts are erudite, and most of the words are spelled correctly (except
> for Tommy Joe-- and a handful of others-- on the former, and latter.) *And
> there is a fair amount of things discussed that are only tangentially
> related to cooking, but there is also a plethora of cooking tips and many
> helpful posts about what to do with zucchini, etc.
>
> And people here still use the word "Usenet" * It's like some outpost that
> survived the AOL and Facebook onslaught. * *I wonder if there are other
> outposts out there in this beyond thunderdome post-AOL world?

I've used obscenities whenever someone uses them against me. I should
reconsider, since flamers should be left in peace.
I like to retaliate at least ten times whenever some dolt attacks.

Janet 18-06-2012 02:57 PM

something I've noticed about this group

In article >, says...

> In my short time here, I haven't seen anyone use any obscenities. And most
> the posts are erudite, and most of the words are spelled correctly (except
> for Tommy Joe-- and a handful of others-- on the former, and latter.) And
> there is a fair amount of things discussed that are only tangentially
> related to cooking, but there is also a plethora of cooking tips and many
> helpful posts about what to do with zucchini, etc.
>
> And people here still use the word "Usenet"

Why would they not? It's a Usenet group in the Usenet hierarchy. Not a
google group or a website forum.

Janet

gtr 18-06-2012 03:01 PM

On 2012-06-18 13:30:26 +0000, Somebody said:

> And people here still use the word "Usenet".

We call it usenet because that's what it is.

notbob 18-06-2012 03:09 PM

On 2012-06-18, Somebody > wrote:

> And people here still use the word "Usenet"

No doubt cuz they understand that's precisely what it was, is, and
will probably remain so.

What I've noticed about you is, you never post ANYTHING pertaining to
cooking, even tangentially. I mean zero, zip, nada. Do you even know
how? Not that yer an obnoxious lout or in any way offensive in yer
presence, here, but this is, after all, a cooking newsgroup, who's
main purpose is to discuss the subject of COOKING! ...using the nntp
protocol ....distributed worldwide on usenet servers.

('hem)

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Somebody 18-06-2012 03:33 PM

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2012-06-18, Somebody > wrote:
>
>> And people here still use the word "Usenet"

> No doubt cuz they understand that's precisely what it was, is, and
> will probably remain so.
>
> What I've noticed about you is, you never post ANYTHING pertaining to
> cooking, even tangentially. I mean zero, zip, nada. Do you even know
> how? Not that yer an obnoxious lout or in any way offensive in yer
> presence, here, but this is, after all, a cooking newsgroup, who's
> main purpose is to discuss the subject of COOKING! ...using the nntp
> protocol ....distributed worldwide on usenet servers.
>
> ('hem)
>
> nb

Sir, I have asked cooking questions: what to do with a plethora of
zucchini. And if oil on a pan goes bad. And if butter left out is okay to
eat, and others. Granted some were not cooking related, but Sheldon posted
about "good riddance, to bad garbage." ...I don't really have any recipes
to post or advice to give because I'm not a very good cook. I try, but
other people's cooking always tastes better... Like some have said, I'm
more of an adder than creator when it comes to cooking.

Nancy2[_2_] 18-06-2012 03:34 PM

On Jun 18, 8:57*am, Janet > wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

> > In my short time here, I haven't seen anyone use any obscenities. *And most
> > the posts are erudite, and most of the words are spelled correctly (except
> > for Tommy Joe-- and a handful of others-- on the former, and latter.) *And
> > there is a fair amount of things discussed that are only tangentially
> > related to cooking, but there is also a plethora of cooking tips and many
> > helpful posts about what to do with zucchini, etc.

> > And people here still use the word "Usenet"

> *Why would they not? It's a Usenet group in the Usenet hierarchy. Not a
> google group or a website forum.
>
> * Janet

....or a chat room, or a "board."

N.

Kalmia 18-06-2012 03:38 PM

something I've noticed about this group

On Jun 18, 9:30*am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> In my short time here, I haven't seen anyone use any obscenities. *And most
> the posts are erudite, and most of the words are spelled correctly (except
> for Tommy Joe-- and a handful of others-- on the former, and latter.)

Someone here is blind - so extend a little slack to some spelling and
top-posting.

Brooklyn1 18-06-2012 03:54 PM

Somebody Newbie is a shit stirrer here to cause trouble, **** em@!

ViLco 18-06-2012 03:54 PM

Somebody wrote:

> And people here still use the word "Usenet" It's like some outpost
> that survived the AOL and Facebook onslaught. I wonder if there
> are other outposts out there in this beyond thunderdome post-AOL
> world?

Oh yeah, one is it.arti.trash, a newsgroup who got created in order to share
discussions about trash movies, both italian and non italisn. Tons of posts.
But you'd find a lot of name calling, too :)

George M. Middius[_2_] 18-06-2012 04:12 PM

Somebody wrote:

> Sir, I have asked cooking questions: what to do with a plethora of
> zucchini. And if oil on a pan goes bad. And if butter left out is okay to
> eat, and others.

Those were trolls, not sincere requests for info.

George M. Middius[_2_] 18-06-2012 04:13 PM

something I've noticed about this group

Sheldon's green-eyed monster rears up.

> Somebody Newbie is a shit stirrer here to cause trouble, **** em@!

I agree. One Shelley is enough for any group.

gtr 18-06-2012 05:10 PM

On 2012-06-18 14:09:46 +0000, notbob said:

> On 2012-06-18, Somebody > wrote:
>
>> And people here still use the word "Usenet"

> No doubt cuz they understand that's precisely what it was, is, and
> will probably remain so.
>
> What I've noticed about you is, you never post ANYTHING pertaining to
> cooking, even tangentially. I mean zero, zip, nada. Do you even know
> how?

I post very little as well other than on booze, restaurants and
food-tangential. But I'm reading it a lot and find myself making use
of the info as well.

A newsgroup is also for those folk. In fact in many of the other groups
topics are dominated by discussions of information that is presented
again and again for many years. But there is always a newbie trying to
figure out the same stuff.

jmcquown[_2_] 18-06-2012 05:31 PM

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2012061807010140791-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2012-06-18 13:30:26 +0000, Somebody said:
>
>> And people here still use the word "Usenet".

> We call it usenet because that's what it is.

Amazing, isn't it? We also talk about cooking. Not because this is a
cooking newsgroup or anything. LOL

I'm thinking about grilling some burgers this evening. For once it's not
raining and the temps will be fairly mild (85-ish, Farenheit). If I had
some zucchini I'd probably split them and grill them alongside. Alas, I
have no zucchini.

Jill

Somebody 18-06-2012 05:35 PM

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On 18 Jun 2012 14:09:46 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2012-06-18, Somebody > wrote:
>>
>>> And people here still use the word "Usenet"

>>No doubt cuz they understand that's precisely what it was, is, and
>>will probably remain so.
>>
>>What I've noticed about you is, you never post ANYTHING pertaining to
>>cooking, even tangentially. I mean zero, zip, nada. Do you even know
>>how? Not that yer an obnoxious lout or in any way offensive in yer
>>presence, here, but this is, after all, a cooking newsgroup, who's
>>main purpose is to discuss the subject of COOKING! ...using the nntp
>>protocol ....distributed worldwide on usenet servers.
>>
>>('hem)
>>
>>nb

> Somebody Newbie is a shit stirrer here to cause trouble, **** em@!

congratulations-- you are the first person I've noticed here to post an
obscenity.. And you are the one who posted "good riddance, to bad rubbish"
about a fellow human being struggling with addiction. A man that when the
riots started told people: can't we all just get along?

What will Rodney King's relatives say about you when you thrust off this
mortal coil?

spamtrap1888 18-06-2012 05:40 PM

On Jun 18, 9:31*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "gtr" > wrote in messagenews:2012061807010140791-xxx@yyyzzz....
> > On 2012-06-18 13:30:26 +0000, Somebody said:

> >> And people here still use the word "Usenet".

> > We call it usenet because that's what *it is.

> Amazing, isn't it? *We also talk about cooking. *Not because this is a
> cooking newsgroup or anything. LOL
>
> I'm thinking about grilling some burgers this evening. *For once it's not
> raining and the temps will be fairly mild (85-ish, Farenheit). *If I had
> some zucchini I'd probably split them and grill them alongside. *Alas, I
> have no zucchini.

In our garden, there's always a hidden zucchini that grows dirigible-
sized later in the season. Those we'll slice crossways and grill,
after brushing with olive oil and dusting with dried herbs.

Yesterday I grilled the favorite meatloaf burgers of my youth that my
mother and grandmother made. Chopped onion and bell pepper, an egg and
some breadcrumbs, just seems to make a big improvement. Black Angus
chuck roast was on sale, so I ground some up in my trusty Universal.

Somebody 18-06-2012 05:42 PM

"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> "gtr" > wrote in message
>> On 2012-06-18 13:30:26 +0000, Somebody said:
>>
>>> And people here still use the word "Usenet".

>> We call it usenet because that's what it is.
>>

> Amazing, isn't it? We also talk about cooking. Not because this is a
> cooking newsgroup or anything. LOL
>
> I'm thinking about grilling some burgers this evening. For once it's not
> raining and the temps will be fairly mild (85-ish, Farenheit). If I had
> some zucchini I'd probably split them and grill them alongside. Alas, I
> have no zucchini.
>
> Jill

I have some zucchini. You can have one.

George M. Middius[_2_] 18-06-2012 05:50 PM

Somebody wrote:

> And you are the one who posted "good riddance, to bad rubbish"
> about a fellow human being struggling with addiction.

Rodney King wasn't a "fellow" of anybody I know or want to know.

I think it's simplistic to say that his problems in life (including
getting whomped by cops) were not of his own making. We just don't
know. What has been said is that King was well known to many LAPD cops
as a recalcitrant troublemaker and big-time druggie. Cops are not
social workers. They have one of society's dirtiest jobs. How would
you like to be forced to be gentle and reasonable with a 250-lb raving
lunatic who refused to obey simple instructions?

That confrontation was a case of two wrongful acts leading to trouble
for everybody. King didn't deserve that assault, but the cops didn't
deserve the provocation.

George M. Middius[_2_] 18-06-2012 05:51 PM

Somebody wrote:

> I'm putting you in the killfile.

Fail. Queen Mary has not given you leave to take that action.

Somebody 18-06-2012 06:00 PM

something I've noticed about this group

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On 18 Jun 2012 14:09:46 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2012-06-18, Somebody > wrote:
>>
>>> And people here still use the word "Usenet"

>>No doubt cuz they understand that's precisely what it was, is, and
>>will probably remain so.
>>
>>What I've noticed about you is, you never post ANYTHING pertaining to
>>cooking, even tangentially. I mean zero, zip, nada. Do you even know
>>how? Not that yer an obnoxious lout or in any way offensive in yer
>>presence, here, but this is, after all, a cooking newsgroup, who's
>>main purpose is to discuss the subject of COOKING! ...using the nntp
>>protocol ....distributed worldwide on usenet servers.
>>
>>('hem)
>>
>>nb

> Somebody Newbie is a shit stirrer here to cause trouble, **** em@!

Someday instant karma is going to get you, knock you right in the head.
Probably when you take your last breath.

dsi1[_15_] 18-06-2012 07:11 PM

On 6/18/2012 3:30 AM, Somebody wrote:
> In my short time here, I haven't seen anyone use any obscenities. And most
> the posts are erudite, and most of the words are spelled correctly (except
> for Tommy Joe-- and a handful of others-- on the former, and latter.) And
> there is a fair amount of things discussed that are only tangentially
> related to cooking, but there is also a plethora of cooking tips and many
> helpful posts about what to do with zucchini, etc.
>
> And people here still use the word "Usenet" It's like some outpost that
> survived the AOL and Facebook onslaught. I wonder if there are other
> outposts out there in this beyond thunderdome post-AOL world?

You're absolutely right to be surprised to see the word "Usenet" still
being spoken. Usenet is still around and uses the same NNTP protocol
standards implemented over a quarter century ago. You're using the
protocol right now - unless you're posting from GG which uses HHTP.

For some reason, the users think Usenet is gonna last forever. Hell,
maybe they're right.

Mark Thorson 18-06-2012 11:29 PM

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 12:37:30 -0400, Somebody wrote:
>
> > I'm putting you in the killfile.

> Watch out! He has a new killfile and he knows how to announce it!

Whoa! That's never happened before!

Somebody 19-06-2012 02:27 AM

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On 6/18/2012 3:30 AM, Somebody wrote:
>> In my short time here, I haven't seen anyone use any obscenities. And
>> most
>> the posts are erudite, and most of the words are spelled correctly
>> (except
>> for Tommy Joe-- and a handful of others-- on the former, and latter.)
>> And
>> there is a fair amount of things discussed that are only tangentially
>> related to cooking, but there is also a plethora of cooking tips and many
>> helpful posts about what to do with zucchini, etc.
>>
>> And people here still use the word "Usenet" It's like some outpost that
>> survived the AOL and Facebook onslaught. I wonder if there are other
>> outposts out there in this beyond thunderdome post-AOL world?
>>

> You're absolutely right to be surprised to see the word "Usenet" still
> being spoken. Usenet is still around and uses the same NNTP protocol
> standards implemented over a quarter century ago. You're using the
> protocol right now - unless you're posting from GG which uses HHTP.
>
> For some reason, the users think Usenet is gonna last forever. Hell, maybe
> they're right.

I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet
is? And many ISPs don't offer it anymore. Seems most people post on website
forums now, like you mentioned. I use IMDB once in a while but would prefer
Usenet.

dsi1[_2_] 19-06-2012 02:46 AM

On 6/18/2012 3:27 PM, Somebody wrote:

> I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet
> is? And many ISPs don't offer it anymore. Seems most people post on website
> forums now, like you mentioned. I use IMDB once in a while but would prefer
> Usenet.

I'm not sure what the heck is going on. My understanding is that posts
like ours are a small fraction of Usenet bandwidth. Most of it is used
for binary files. I'm not sure what kind of files are being posted or
why anybody would want to use such a method of file distribution but my
guess is that's what's really supporting the servers.

Cheryl[_3_] 19-06-2012 04:27 AM

On 6/18/2012 11:34 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Somebody wrote:
>>
>> I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet

> That's why it will survive. We're an elite club.
> We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

Based on both of your comments, Usenet will only last another ~40 years. :)

Mark Thorson 19-06-2012 04:34 AM

Somebody 19-06-2012 05:25 AM

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>>
>> I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet

> That's why it will survive. We're an elite club.
> We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

So Usenet is the new Knights Templar? How do you recruit?

Somebody 19-06-2012 05:27 AM

something I've noticed about this group

"Cheryl" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 6/18/2012 11:34 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Somebody wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what
>>> Usenet

>> That's why it will survive. We're an elite club.
>> We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
>> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

> Based on both of your comments, Usenet will only last another ~40 years.
> :)

lol!

Maybe some archeologists will keep it going.

PS trust no one under 40!

Somebody 19-06-2012 06:09 AM

"MotoFox" > wrote in message
> And it came to pass that Somebody delivered the following message unto the
> people, saying~
>
>> I'm putting you in the killfile.

> That's actually your first big mistake right there. Public plonkings are
> blasé these days. It's a byproduct of the AOheLl days which many would
> just as soon rather not revisit; besides, it's just bad form.
>
> With a killfile comes great power; with great power comes great
> responsibility.
>
> Not trolling, just friendly advice.
>
> --
> 2D 2D 0D 0A 4D 6F 74 6F 46 6F 78 0D 0A 44 45 41
> 54 48 20 54 4F 20 45 42 43 44 49 43 21 21 16 04

Careful... I have a killfile. And I know how to use it!

Plonking! That is the word I was trying to remember earlier. Wasn't there
also Stompf? I must have that wrong. Google only brings up German sites
when I did a search.

I wonder how many AOL disks are in US landfills. It used to be those damn
things would show up almost everyday in the mail. With their 900 free hours.

notbob 19-06-2012 12:32 PM

On 2012-06-19, Mark Thorson > wrote:

> We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

Nice to know it's good for something other than bringing in the
sheep. ;)

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Janet 19-06-2012 03:42 PM

something I've noticed about this group

In article >, says...

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> > Somebody wrote:
> >>
> >> I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet

> > That's why it will survive. We're an elite club.
> > We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
> > good for absorbing most of that ilk.

> So Usenet is the new Knights Templar? How do you recruit?

Retirement homes, pension-adviser offices, old tyme dances, places like
that.

Janet

Nancy2[_2_] 19-06-2012 03:46 PM

On Jun 18, 10:34*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Somebody wrote:
>
> > I think it will die out. *Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet

> That's why it will survive. *We're an elite club.
> We want the riff-raff to stay out. *Facebook is
> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

I have read expert opinions who think FB is only good for about
another 5 years or so. Then it will die. One can only hope.

N.

Somebody 19-06-2012 04:00 PM

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
On Jun 18, 10:34 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Somebody wrote:
>
> > I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet

> That's why it will survive. We're an elite club.
> We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

I have read expert opinions who think FB is only good for about
another 5 years or so. Then it will die. One can only hope.

N.

---

My wife, ex wife, would spend hours on it. She tried to get me into it. I
did try it and canceled my account a few days later... I was at my sister's
a couple months ago, and she was at the computer on Facebook typing away
furiously when I came in the room . She said (without looking up): This is
soo much work! (The way she said it, it was like she really was at work and
had to do it. She obviously wasn't really enjoying it at that moment and
was feeding some weird addiction to keeping her farmville crops growing.)

spamtrap1888 19-06-2012 04:03 PM

On Jun 19, 7:46*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:34*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > Somebody wrote:

> > > I think it will die out. *Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet

> > That's why it will survive. *We're an elite club.
> > We want the riff-raff to stay out. *Facebook is
> > good for absorbing most of that ilk.

> I have read expert opinions who think FB is only good for about
> another 5 years or so. *Then it will die. *One can only hope.

Remember myspace? Friendster? Xanga for asian-types?

I miss the days when Facebook was limited to .edu addresses.

Somebody 19-06-2012 04:09 PM

"Janet" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...

>> > That's why it will survive. We're an elite club.
>> > We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
>> > good for absorbing most of that ilk.

>> So Usenet is the new Knights Templar? How do you recruit?

> Retirement homes, pension-adviser offices, old tyme dances, places like
> that.
>
> Janet

lol

shriner meetings, and bingo halls may also be fertile ground. Though the
shriners seem a bit too focused on riding around in their little cars, and
the bingo people are hard to drag away from their dozen cards laying out in
front of them.

Can you imagine trying to explain usenet to the Twitter Generation? It's
going to be a tough sell recruiting young people.

Somebody 19-06-2012 04:19 PM

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On Jun 19, 7:46 am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Jun 18, 10:34 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>
> > Somebody wrote:

> > > I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what
> > > Usenet

> > That's why it will survive. We're an elite club.
> > We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
> > good for absorbing most of that ilk.

> I have read expert opinions who think FB is only good for about
> another 5 years or so. Then it will die. One can only hope.

Remember myspace? Friendster? Xanga for asian-types?

I miss the days when Facebook was limited to .edu addresses.

---

I miss myspace. I was friends with Jenna and Angela from The Office. They
actually wrote back to me when I wrote them! But that was back when they
had only 90 friends.

gtr 19-06-2012 05:56 PM

On 2012-06-19 03:27:33 +0000, Cheryl said:

> On 6/18/2012 11:34 PM, Mark Thorson wrote:
>
>> Somebody wrote:
>>>
>>> I think it will die out. Is there anyone under 40 that knows what Usenet

>> That's why it will survive. We're an elite club.
>> We want the riff-raff to stay out. Facebook is
>> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

> Based on both of your comments, Usenet will only last another ~40 years. :)

It depends on what "last" means.

gtr 19-06-2012 06:04 PM

On 2012-06-19 15:03:54 +0000, spamtrap1888 said:

> On Jun 19, 7:46*am, Nancy2 > wrote:

>>> That's why it will survive. *We're an elite club.
>>> We want the riff-raff to stay out. *Facebook is
>>> good for absorbing most of that ilk.

>> I have read expert opinions who think FB is only good for about
>> another 5 years or so. *Then it will die. *One can only hope.

> Remember myspace? Friendster? Xanga for asian-types?
>
> I miss the days when Facebook was limited to .edu addresses.

I assume you mean when usenet ws limited to edu.

I think FaceBook will poop out to but it will take awhile. The funny
thing is that it gets compared so much to usenet, but it is really
quite different. The intent at FaceBook is to avoid anonymity, to
become a single social entity, and to replace social mechanisms of all
sorts. And also it seems to have the involved quazi-addictive
properties of video games. Video games have shelf life, so I assume
FaceBook would too.

Except that facebook leverages so much social currency or faux social
currency. I think it's a wonder, really. I signed up early, found no
there there, amazingly marrow and limited in its utility. It's a kind
of show-and-tell mechanism. It's evolving of course and taking over
sectors of human interaction that are dying anyway--like the water
cooler, backyard or playground chit-chat.

It's interesting to watch--at some distance, mind you!

dsi1[_2_] 19-06-2012 10:00 PM

On 6/19/2012 9:18 AM, MotoFox wrote:
> And it came to pass that dsi1 delivered the following message unto the
> people, saying~
>
>> Do people still download pirated and cracked programs anymore?

> Yeah.
>
> (But not from Usenet.....)

I was reading some stuff about Usenet vs peer to peer downloads. The
main deal was that Usenet is faster but you have to pay for Usenet and
you might face bandwidth limitations and file retention issues and
there's not as much selection of illegal and ought to be illegal files.
Evidently there's still some monkey business going on in Usenet. My
opinion is that this is a good thing. :-)

dsi1[_2_] 19-06-2012 10:44 PM

On 6/19/2012 10:26 AM, gtr wrote:
> On 2012-06-19 18:47:34 +0000, dsi1 said:
>
>> I'm guessing that a lot of it is copyrighted movies and music. Do
>> people still download pirated and hacked programs anymore?

> Yes, but usenet has faded in this regard as it is not truly anonymous to
> federal investigators. Bittorrent has largely replaced it.

I have no doubt that you're right about this. My guess is that G's
tracking of users is a great boon to the feds. G gets several hundred
requests a month from government agencies for info on users. Few people
know what info G hands over but I suppose they can do anything they want
with this data since they own it. Mostly, G has complied with the
majority of the 6000+ requests for info on users made during the second
half of 2011. My suggestion is that we all be on our best behavior. I
know I am. :-)