Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default He Won't Be Missed

Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/06/2012 5:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

Found dead in the bottom of a swimming pool. I don't know who would bet
that it was not drug related.

It's a damned shame the way that whole situation was treated by the
media. They kept showing a heavily edited video that made it look like
the cops just kept beating on him for no reason. They had cut out all
the footage of him getting back up.

I feel a lot more sympathy for Reginald Denny who got a shit kicking
because he was white when riots started over the acquittal of the cops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-17 22:01:31 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> On 17/06/2012 5:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

> Found dead in the bottom of a swimming pool. I don't know who would bet
> that it was not drug related.
>
> It's a damned shame the way that whole situation was treated by the
> media. They kept showing a heavily edited video that made it look like
> the cops just kept beating on him for no reason. They had cut out all
> the footage of him getting back up.

I don't know which "they" you are talking about but I saw more than
enough continuous unedited footage to know that he was relentlessly
beaten by the police. Two were eventually sent to prison for that
crime. He sued the city of LA and received 3.8 million dollars for the
beating. I'm not sure exactly how you view all that information.

> I feel a lot more sympathy for Reginald Denny€¦

King and Denny were both on the receiving end of senseless and unjust
violence. I'm not sure why you're comparing them as if they were some
kind of political opposition viewpoints.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

NPR had a short interview with him recently. It didn't sound like he was
doing well; he was trying to deal with life-long addictions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/06/2012 6:26 PM, gtr wrote:
> On 2012-06-17 22:01:31 +0000, Dave Smith said:
>
>> On 17/06/2012 5:48 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

>> Found dead in the bottom of a swimming pool. I don't know who would
>> bet that it was not drug related.
>>
>> It's a damned shame the way that whole situation was treated by the
>> media. They kept showing a heavily edited video that made it look like
>> the cops just kept beating on him for no reason. They had cut out all
>> the footage of him getting back up.

> I don't know which "they" you are talking about but I saw more than
> enough continuous unedited footage to know that he was relentlessly
> beaten by the police. Two were eventually sent to prison for that crime.
> He sued the city of LA and received 3.8 million dollars for the beating.
> I'm not sure exactly how you view all that information.

One of us is confused. Four cops were charged and three were acquitted
and the jury was unable to agree on the fourth.

>> I feel a lot more sympathy for Reginald Denny€¦

> King and Denny were both on the receiving end of senseless and unjust
> violence. I'm not sure why you're comparing them as if they were some
> kind of political opposition viewpoints.

The difference being that King was high on drugs and acting out
violently. Denny's crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time,
finding himself in the midst of a riot over the acquittal of the cops.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-18 00:04:38 +0000, Dave Smith said:

>> I don't know which "they" you are talking about but I saw more than
>> enough continuous unedited footage to know that he was relentlessly
>> beaten by the police. Two were eventually sent to prison for that crime.
>> He sued the city of LA and received 3.8 million dollars for the beating.
>> I'm not sure exactly how you view all that information.

> One of us is confused. Four cops were charged and three were acquitted
> and the jury was unable to agree on the fourth.

That would be you: From Wikipedia:

Four LAPD officers were tried in a state court for the beating; three
were acquitted and the jury failed to reach a verdict for the fourth.
The announcement of the acquittals sparked the 1992 Los Angeles riots.
A later federal trial for civil rights violations ended with two of the
officers found guilty and sent to prison and the other two officers
acquitted.

>>> I feel a lot more sympathy for Reginald Denny€¦

>> King and Denny were both on the receiving end of senseless and unjust
>> violence. I'm not sure why you're comparing them as if they were some
>> kind of political opposition viewpoints.

> The difference being that King was high on drugs and acting out violently.

That happens daily in the USA. Are you saying that's grounds for a
brutal and illegal beating?

> Denny's crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time, finding
> himself in the midst of a riot over the acquittal of the cops.

That happens hoursly in the USA. Why are you comparing these two crimes?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 17/06/2012 7:57 PM, Somebody wrote:
> "Brooklyn1"<Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

> NPR had a short interview with him recently. It didn't sound like he was
> doing well; he was trying to deal with life-long addictions.

I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions....
party time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. com...
> On 17/06/2012 7:57 PM, Somebody wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1"<Gravesend1> wrote in message
>>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

>> NPR had a short interview with him recently. It didn't sound like he was
>> doing well; he was trying to deal with life-long addictions.
>>

> I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions.... party
> time.

He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:

> > I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions.... party
> > time.

> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

So he wasted his entire life, and then he started struggling ...
toward what goal? Achieving the perfect high?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2012 7:23 PM, Somebody wrote:
> "Dave > wrote in message
> . com...
>>>

>>> NPR had a short interview with him recently. It didn't sound like he was
>>> doing well; he was trying to deal with life-long addictions.
>>>

>> I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions.... party
>> time.

> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

For that personality sort, it becomes the same thing eventually. He had
demons he couldn't control before the 1991 traffic stop, and those
demons stayed with him. There was no reason for him to resolve his
problems; no gain in it for him. His civil rights victories enabled him
to continue his life of excesses and abuses. This is how the party ends.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

I have to wonder who is more despicable...the low-born person
whose life is chaotic as he dies early, or the decently educated
person who looks down at the chaotic person's body and calls
him "bad rubbish."

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>
>> > I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions....
>> > party
>> > time.

>> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

> So he wasted his entire life, and then he started struggling ...
> toward what goal? Achieving the perfect high?

perhaps, it's hard to really know what's going on in someone else's head.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGALoQoxXrU

Aren't the police trained to restrain-- even people that are high? Would
you want one of your friends or relatives restrained the way Rodney King
was?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 6:01*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:

> It's a damned shame the way that whole situation was treated by the
> media. *They kept showing a heavily edited video that made it look like
> the cops just kept beating on him for no reason. They had cut out all
> the footage of him getting back up.
>
> I feel a lot more sympathy for Reginald Denny who got a shit kicking
> because he was white when riots started over the acquittal of the cops.

Most people see this sort of thing only on tv. I've seen it many
times. I saw attacks by cops similar to the one of Rodney King more
than once. One time I saw a bunch of cops with a guy down on the
pavement, and the cops on the outside of the circle were screaming for
those of us who lived in the area to "Go home!", while the ones inside
the circle were slamming the guy's head repeatedly into the pavement
while screaming, "Stop resisting, stop resisting", and the guy through
bloody lips kept blubbering, "I'm not resisting", as the cops kept
battering his face into the concrete. I don't care who's right or
who's wrong - it is wrong to bring this sort of this to the eyes of
other people. It trespassing. It's disturbing the peace. It could
even be called kidnapping. I'm not saying I'd be for this sort of
thing as long as it's out of my eye sight. I don't like it period.
But to bring it before the eyes of those who might not want to see it
is an invasive crime.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 6:26*pm, gtr > wrote:

> King and Denny were both on the receiving end of senseless and unjust
> violence. I'm not sure why you're comparing them as if they were some
> kind of political opposition viewpoints.

Some people can't get past the political limitations, it's all they
want to talk about. Most people even, especially around this time of
year. Disturbing.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 11:27*pm, "Somebody" > wrote:

> Aren't the police trained to restrain-- even people that are high? *Would
> you want one of your friends or relatives restrained the way Rodney King
> was?

I lived out there for 23 years and have seen the police in action
more than just a few times. Often they'd appear on tv explaining
excessive force was necessary because the suspect was "high on PCP".
I know lots of people who used PCP. I tried it and didn't like it at
all. Made me nervous. But some people it mellows out. Not the point
though. The point is the cops often times tried to make it sound as
if people on PCP have supernatural strength and ability to take
punishment. But if that were true, the athletes we hear about taking
steroids would be using PCP as well. Hell, if what those cops say
about PCP is true, if I were a manager of a boxer, I'd give him a good
dose of it before every fight and he'd never lose. The cops are full
of shit. I don't care what drugs a person is on, they're just as easy
to knock out or subdue as anybody else. The cops used the PCP thing
as an excuse to gripe about the precious choke-hold being outlawed.
They complained that if the choke hold had been legal they wouldn't
have had to beat King so long. Amazing the number of people who view
his beating as justified because he used drugs.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-18 01:23:59 +0000, Somebody said:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> . com...
>>>

>>> NPR had a short interview with him recently. It didn't sound like he was
>>> doing well; he was trying to deal with life-long addictions.
>>>

>> I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions.... party time.

> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

Yeah, that's only what it sounds like when you strip the bullshit
political overlay off...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-18 02:23:10 +0000, George M. Middius said:

> Somebody wrote:
>
>>> I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions.... party
>>> time.

>> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

> So he wasted his entire life, and then he started struggling ...
> toward what goal? Achieving the perfect high?

Jesus loves you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2012 9:22 PM, pavane wrote:
> "Brooklyn1"<Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

> I have to wonder who is more despicable...the low-born person
> whose life is chaotic as he dies early, or the decently educated
> person who looks down at the chaotic person's body and calls
> him "bad rubbish."

Good question. Also, who is MOST despicable: "the low-born person," "the
decently educated person," or the person who differentiates between them
in those terms?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2012 9:22 PM, pavane wrote:
> "Brooklyn1"<Gravesend1> wrote in message
>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

> I have to wonder who is more despicable...the low-born person
> whose life is chaotic as he dies early, or the decently educated
> person who looks down at the chaotic person's body and calls
> him "bad rubbish."

Let's not overlook how Mr. King perceived *himself*. I don't believe he
needed anybody to help him define himself or describe himself. He knew
what he was. I think he was having a wonderful time being his own worst
enemy and most happy victim. His continual willingness to flout the law
belied every statement he ever made concerning his own progress and
willingness to change his life. He had exactly what he wanted, with an
eye always on getting as much of it as he could before time ran out.
Tick tock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
> Somebody wrote:
>
>> > I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions....
>> > party
>> > time.

>> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

> So he wasted his entire life, and then he started struggling ...
> toward what goal? Achieving the perfect high?

He was almost beaten to death by cops. A couple years after the riots the
extensive corruption of the LAPD was revealed. They were out of control.
We are talking about murders, drug dealing, pimping, protection rackets -
you name it. And it was that same culture that committed the egregious
civil rights abuse against King. The key word here is rights. Doesn't
matter if you don't like him he had civil rights. He was not responsible
for the riots. I was in the thick of those BTW, I was trying to drive home
coming up 7th street to the 110 onramp when I was stuck in traffic by a huge
crowd of rioters. Not fun. But King was not responsible for that. He was
trying to finally get his life on track. He never stopped trying. Perhaps
he failed but he did try. For that he deserves something a little bit
better than outrageous hate. I am sure he did not set out that day
expecting to have the living shit beat out of him by corrupt cops.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
> On 17/06/2012 6:26 PM, gtr wrote:

>>> Found dead in the bottom of a swimming pool. I don't know who would
>>> bet that it was not drug related.
>>>
>>> It's a damned shame the way that whole situation was treated by the
>>> media. They kept showing a heavily edited video that made it look like
>>> the cops just kept beating on him for no reason. They had cut out all
>>> the footage of him getting back up.

>> I don't know which "they" you are talking about but I saw more than
>> enough continuous unedited footage to know that he was relentlessly
>> beaten by the police. Two were eventually sent to prison for that crime.
>> He sued the city of LA and received 3.8 million dollars for the beating.
>> I'm not sure exactly how you view all that information.

> One of us is confused. Four cops were charged and three were acquitted and
> the jury was unable to agree on the fourth.
>

>>> I feel a lot more sympathy for Reginald Denny.

>> King and Denny were both on the receiving end of senseless and unjust
>> violence. I'm not sure why you're comparing them as if they were some
>> kind of political opposition viewpoints.

> The difference being that King was high on drugs and acting out violently.
> Denny's crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time, finding
> himself in the midst of a riot over the acquittal of the cops.

King never acted out violently. That is just wrong. He didn't lay
perfectly still and tried to escape the beatings by no less than 4 police
batons is what he did. People do crazy things when they think they are
about to die. Crazy things like try to escape. OK, he was no saint. But
those cops had him completely under control and continued to beat on him all
the while screaming obscenities at him. You ever held a police baton? They
are made of solid hickory wood drilled out and filled with lead. And he
took dozens of blows from them. The LAPD at that time was a corrupt and
criminal enterprise. Bob Gates was the one to blame for all of it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
(snip)
> He was almost beaten to death by cops. A couple years after the riots the
> extensive corruption of the LAPD was revealed. They were out of control.
> > We are talking about murders, drug dealing, pimping, protection

> rackets - > you name it. And it was that same culture that committed the
> egregious civil rights abuse against King. The key word here is rights.
> Doesn't matter if you don't like him he had civil rights. He was not
> responsible for the riots. I was in the thick of those BTW, I was trying
> to drive home coming up 7th street to the 110 onramp when I was stuck in
> traffic by a huge crowd of rioters. Not fun. But King was not
> responsible for that. He was trying to finally get his life on track. He
> never stopped trying. Perhaps he failed but he did try. For that he
> deserves something a little bit better than outrageous hate. I am sure he
> did not set out that day expecting to have the living shit beat out of him
> by corrupt cops.

I found it quite interesting to read up on it all these years later.

I recalled that time as being about an appalling abuse by the police but I
never recall having heard about what King had been up to before the police
beat him up.

The police didn't beat up the others who were with King in the car and it
would appear that they might not have beaten King either if he had done what
the others did and obeyed the police instructions when they finally caught
up with the car and managed to stop it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Farm1" > wrote in message
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> (snip)
>> He was almost beaten to death by cops. A couple years after the riots
>> the extensive corruption of the LAPD was revealed. They were out of
>> control. > We are talking about murders, drug dealing, pimping,
>> protection rackets - > you name it. And it was that same culture that
>> committed the egregious civil rights abuse against King. The key word
>> here is rights. Doesn't matter if you don't like him he had civil rights.
>> He was not responsible for the riots. I was in the thick of those BTW, I
>> was trying to drive home coming up 7th street to the 110 onramp when I
>> was stuck in traffic by a huge crowd of rioters. Not fun. But King was
>> not responsible for that. He was trying to finally get his life on
>> track. He never stopped trying. Perhaps he failed but he did try. For
>> that he deserves something a little bit better than outrageous hate. I
>> am sure he did not set out that day expecting to have the living shit
>> beat out of him by corrupt cops.

> I found it quite interesting to read up on it all these years later.
>
> I recalled that time as being about an appalling abuse by the police but I
> never recall having heard about what King had been up to before the police
> beat him up.
>
> The police didn't beat up the others who were with King in the car and it
> would appear that they might not have beaten King either if he had done
> what the others did and obeyed the police instructions when they finally
> caught up with the car and managed to stop it:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King

And if those sado-masochistic cops had just done their job according to
their training none of it ever would have happened. The video is very
clear. They cold have easily cuffed him at almost any point but instead
chose to stand in a Conga line taking turns smashing his skull in with their
batons. All the while screaming racial epithets at him. We don't pay cops
to do that. Supposedly they are trained to handle situations better. Under
Bob Gates the LAPD sunk into a massively corrupt criminal enterprise. Do
you think King for a second didn't know this?

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 2:48*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

You're kidding, right? His one quote will outlive your memory:

Can't

We

All

Just

Get

Along?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> om...

>>> I don't know which "they" you are talking about but I saw more than
>>> enough continuous unedited footage to know that he was relentlessly
>>> beaten by the police. Two were eventually sent to prison for that crime.
>>> He sued the city of LA and received 3.8 million dollars for the beating.
>>> I'm not sure exactly how you view all that information.

>> One of us is confused. Four cops were charged and three were acquitted
>> and the jury was unable to agree on the fourth.

>>> King and Denny were both on the receiving end of senseless and unjust
>>> violence. I'm not sure why you're comparing them as if they were some
>>> kind of political opposition viewpoints.

>> The difference being that King was high on drugs and acting out
>> violently. Denny's crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time,
>> finding himself in the midst of a riot over the acquittal of the cops.

> King never acted out violently. That is just wrong. He didn't lay
> perfectly still and tried to escape the beatings by no less than 4 police
> batons is what he did. People do crazy things when they think they are
> about to die. Crazy things like try to escape. OK, he was no saint. But
> those cops had him completely under control and continued to beat on him
> all the while screaming obscenities at him. You ever held a police baton?
> They are made of solid hickory wood drilled out and filled with lead. And
> he took dozens of blows from them. The LAPD at that time was a corrupt
> and criminal enterprise. Bob Gates was the one to blame for all of it.

Daryl Gates that is.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2012061721443182644-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2012-06-18 01:23:59 +0000, Somebody said:
>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> . com...

>>> I guess that is what happens when a druggie is awarded millions....
>>> party time.

>> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

> Yeah, that's only what it sounds like when you strip the bullshit
> political overlay off...

He sounded like somebody living on borrowed time, that wouldn't be around
much longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 6/17/2012 9:22 PM, pavane wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1"<Gravesend1> wrote in message
>>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

>> I have to wonder who is more despicable...the low-born person
>> whose life is chaotic as he dies early, or the decently educated
>> person who looks down at the chaotic person's body and calls
>> him "bad rubbish."

> Let's not overlook how Mr. King perceived *himself*. I don't believe he
> needed anybody to help him define himself or describe himself. He knew
> what he was. I think he was having a wonderful time being his own worst
> enemy and most happy victim. His continual willingness to flout the law
> belied every statement he ever made concerning his own progress and
> willingness to change his life. He had exactly what he wanted, with an eye
> always on getting as much of it as he could before time ran out. Tick
> tock.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/17/155224...ing-found-dead
MARTIN: NPR's Karen Grigsby Bates joins us now from Los Angeles. Karen, at
this point, what can you tell us about what happened?

KAREN GRIGSBY BATES, BYLINE: Very little, really, because the sheriff in
Rialto has apparently taken his body to the coroner, but we don't know cause
of death or anything. I have to say, when I heard, I was a little surprised
because he's an excellent swimmer. He told me when I met with him in April
that water was his therapy, that he, really, when he'd had a bad day he
liked to get into the pool, or if he could get to the beach, take his
surfboard out and surf for a little while. So I, like everybody else, I'm
really curious as to what really happened. They do not suspect foul play.
They think that this is some kind of accident.

MARTIN: As you mentioned, you spoke with Rodney King around the 20th
anniversary of his beating and the L.A. riots. How did he strike you then
when you spoke with him?

BATES: He was very open, really warm, very confident, seemed to be very
confident, which is a real contrast to the tape you just played of that
tremulous Rodney King, who was saying, you know, can't we all get along? He
was looking forward to what he would call the second half of his life. He
said, you know, I've had some things that I've needed to work out. I didn't
realize how much my childhood had affected me, I didn't realize how much
that beating had affected me, but I've talked to people, I'm good, I've got
this book out, I want people to know my story, I want this out, and I'm
looking forward to talking about it.

MARTIN: Any idea what kind of reaction might come later today?

BATES: Well, I think a lot of people just sort of look and go, wow. You
know, poor Rodney, he's had such a run of bad luck. There was some people to
whom he will always be that guy who was speeding, doped up in a car, who
should have known better. And he himself told me, yeah, you know, that was a
big mistake. I was scared of the police, I should have stopped and pulled
over. But if you grew up in my neighborhood, and had the interaction with
police that black and brown people did, it might not have seemed like such a
stupid idea. But I think probably a lot of people will feel like, wow, this
is just the last in a long string of unfortunate things to happen to this
man.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"spamtrap1888" > wrote in message
On Jun 17, 2:48 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

You're kidding, right? His one quote will outlive your memory:

Can't

We

All

Just

Get

Along?

----

Many people asked where were the police when the riots started and went on?
http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...62&m=151553417

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> om...

>>> One of us is confused. Four cops were charged and three were acquitted
>>> and the jury was unable to agree on the fourth.

>>> The difference being that King was high on drugs and acting out
>>> violently. Denny's crime was being in the wrong place at the wrong time,
>>> finding himself in the midst of a riot over the acquittal of the cops.

>> King never acted out violently. That is just wrong. He didn't lay
>> perfectly still and tried to escape the beatings by no less than 4 police
>> batons is what he did. People do crazy things when they think they are
>> about to die. Crazy things like try to escape. OK, he was no saint.
>> But those cops had him completely under control and continued to beat on
>> him all the while screaming obscenities at him. You ever held a police
>> baton? They are made of solid hickory wood drilled out and filled with
>> lead. And he took dozens of blows from them. The LAPD at that time was
>> a corrupt and criminal enterprise. Bob Gates was the one to blame for
>> all of it.

> Daryl Gates that is.
>
> Paul

http://www.npr.org/2012/04/27/151546...bellion-unrest
SIEGEL: The rage is Los Angeles focused on the LAPD, but the department
largely stood on the sidelines early on as drivers were pulled from their
cars and businesses were ransacked.

Steve Gates was a captain in the LAPD at the time and brother of then chief
Daryl Gates.

STEVE GATES: I was like the rest of the community. You know, where's LAPD?
Where's our normal response? It was baffling. People were looting. People
were burning buildings. They were hurting other people. They were shooting
their firearms. It was a riot. I look at it as a low point. It was
disturbing. It was very, very disturbing.

BLOCK: Disturbing, but not surprising for many in LA's black and minority
communities. Connie Rice is a civil rights attorney who has spent her career
focused on the LAPD.

CONNIE RICE: The way I viewed it and the way I saw it was as an explosion of
anger and fury because of the emasculation of the community. This was like
40 years of kindling that had built up and the King beating was the match
that lit the fire and that verdict was the explosion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2012 5:30 AM, Somebody wrote:

> http://www.npr.org/2012/06/17/155224...ing-found-dead
> MARTIN: NPR's Karen Grigsby Bates joins us now from Los Angeles. Karen, at
> this point, what can you tell us about what happened?

<long quote of NPR piece snipped>

So what is your point, and how does it differ from mine? This guy knew
exactly what he was. He also seemed to see people like you coming, too.
A player of the system from start to finish. No matter. His troubles are
over.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/18/2012 2:26 AM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

> He was almost beaten to death by cops. A couple years after the riots the
> extensive corruption of the LAPD was revealed. They were out of control.
> We are talking about murders, drug dealing, pimping, protection rackets -
> you name it. And it was that same culture that committed the egregious
> civil rights abuse against King. The key word here is rights. Doesn't
> matter if you don't like him he had civil rights. He was not responsible
> for the riots. I was in the thick of those BTW, I was trying to drive home
> coming up 7th street to the 110 onramp when I was stuck in traffic by a huge
> crowd of rioters. Not fun. But King was not responsible for that. He was
> trying to finally get his life on track. He never stopped trying. Perhaps
> he failed but he did try. For that he deserves something a little bit
> better than outrageous hate. I am sure he did not set out that day
> expecting to have the living shit beat out of him by corrupt cops.

Well put.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pennyaline" > wrote in message
> On 6/17/2012 9:22 PM, pavane wrote:
>> "Brooklyn1"<Gravesend1> wrote in message
>>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

>> I have to wonder who is more despicable...the low-born person
>> whose life is chaotic as he dies early, or the decently educated
>> person who looks down at the chaotic person's body and calls
>> him "bad rubbish."

> Good question. Also, who is MOST despicable: "the low-born person," "the
> decently educated person," or the person who differentiates between them
> in those terms?

Agree, bad choice of words. They now remind me of some
Gilbert and Sullivan routine...

pavane

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pervone" wrote:
>"Brooklyn1" wrote:
>
>> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

>I have to wonder who is more despicable...the low-born person
>whose life is chaotic as he dies early, or the decently educated
>person who looks down at the chaotic person's body and calls
>him "bad rubbish."
>
>pervone

Actually the most dispicable are losers who insist on making an issue
of other folk's business yet lurk in the shadows and have nothing of
their own to contribute, disgusting cowardly douchebags like you,
PERVone.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

pavane wrote:

> > Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

> I have to wonder who is more despicable...the low-born person
> whose life is chaotic as he dies early, or the decently educated
> person who looks down at the chaotic person's body and calls
> him "bad rubbish."

Seriously, though -- aren't we all responsible for our own choices?
It's not hard to get help with drug abuse. And nobody forced him to
take PCP.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Somebody wrote:

> >> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

> > So he wasted his entire life, and then he started struggling ...
> > toward what goal? Achieving the perfect high?

> perhaps, it's hard to really know what's going on in someone else's head.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGALoQoxXrU

> Aren't the police trained to restrain-- even people that are high? Would
> you want one of your friends or relatives restrained the way Rodney King
> was?

That event occured at the dawn of the everyman video age. Cops are
much more careful now. The most exceptional aspect of the King
business was that it was caught on tape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 23:27:43 -0400, "Somebody"
> wrote:

>"George M. Middius" > wrote in message
.. .

>>> He didn't sound like he was partying. Sounded like he was struggling.

>> So he wasted his entire life, and then he started struggling ...
>> toward what goal? Achieving the perfect high?

>perhaps, it's hard to really know what's going on in someone else's head.
>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGALoQoxXrU
>

>Aren't the police trained to restrain-- even people that are high? Would
>you want one of your friends or relatives restrained the way Rodney King
>was?

Rodney King was a menace who was pummeled because when stopped for
questioning he became violent and again and again refused to stop
fighting... unfortunately the police had no tasers back then...
fortunately it wasn't perceived that Rodney King had a weapon or he
would have been shot dead. Rodney King didn't instigate the LA riots,
the black extremist racists did by stirring the pot... the media was
no innocent bystander either, they fanned the flames of black bigotry
with all their might, and still. Anyone who believes that blacks
aren't just as racist as whites is living in a cave on Pluto.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 4:38*am, "Somebody" > wrote:
> "spamtrap1888" > wrote in message

> On Jun 17, 2:48 pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>
> > Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

> You're kidding, right? His one quote will outlive your memory:
>
> Can't
>
> We
>
> All
>
> Just
>
> Get
>
> Along?
>
> ----
>
> Many people asked where were the police when the riots started and went on?http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPl...t=1&islist=fal...

One thing that has changed since then is that the impressive and well-
stocked B&B Sales -- whose business boomed during the riots as
business owners and others went to arm themselves -- went bankrupt
under a combination of mismanagement and oppressive regulation (and
regulators). Buy your autoloaders now, before California's one party
government bans what's left on the market.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 18/06/2012 11:30 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>> Aren't the police trained to restrain-- even people that are high? Would
>> you want one of your friends or relatives restrained the way Rodney King
>> was?

> Rodney King was a menace who was pummeled because when stopped for
> questioning he became violent and again and again refused to stop
> fighting... unfortunately the police had no tasers back then...
> fortunately it wasn't perceived that Rodney King had a weapon or he
> would have been shot dead. Rodney King didn't instigate the LA riots,
> the black extremist racists did by stirring the pot... the media was
> no innocent bystander either, they fanned the flames of black bigotry
> with all their might, and still. Anyone who believes that blacks
> aren't just as racist as whites is living in a cave on Pluto.

The media sure did their bit by showing the heavily edited video that
showed only the cops beating on him and cut out the parts where he was
trying to get up.

When I was working I used to get annual training on use of force.
Without going into too much detail I can tell you that once a person
struggle starts it is considered to be an assault on the officer and the
subject will be taken down and he will be subdued and he will be forced
to strop struggling. They are not going to take a chance on a person
who has already acted out violently.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

>I am sure he did not set out that day expecting to have the
>living shit beat out of him by corrupt cops.
>
>Paul

What other kind of cops are there?
Cops are given absolute power and power corrupts absolutely.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 4:48*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> Rodney King is gone, good riddance to bad rubbish.

I am sorry for him, his life was in chaos, he seemd to have trouble
getting it together. The money would not make up for all the ills in
his life. Beaten senseless?? Nope, I am sorry it happened to him and
also any one else.