Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT- Flushing out your hot water heater?

Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

I was surprised by the calcium (?) nuggets and the clear slime - what the
heck was that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 6:37*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> > Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> > about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> > one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> > it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> > something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

> I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
> spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.
>
> I was surprised by the calcium (?) nuggets and the clear slime - what the
> heck was that?

Friend did this once after seeing one of these 'home improvement'
shows. He battled the calcium deposits in the faucet screens for y-e-
a-r-s. Every single week he had to go through the house and take the
aerators off and rinse/pick the calcium away. He wished he'd never
followed that bit of advice to prolong his water heater.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. It
doesn't take much to do it. A garden hose. Turn off the heater then attach
the hose and open the spigot. Let it drain out through the hose, into the
yard or down the driveway. Then shut the spigot on the water heater. Let
the tank fill back up from your water supply. It only takes a few hours but
you might want to take a shower before you do this

Jill in Southernmost SC

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:12*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
> replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
> doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
> the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
> yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater. *Let
> the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours....

Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
....PickyCurious

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would say if you have installed a new tank, and are motivated to start
flushing it regularly, go for it. Otherwise let sleeping dogs lie.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:37:54 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
wrote:

>"merryb" > wrote in message
>> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
>> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
>> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
>> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
>> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!
>>

>I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
>spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

Normal people would attach a length of garden hose to the drain spigot
and run it outdoors onto their lawn... can't hurt, you bathe with it,
may even fertilize.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:44:19 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Jun 9, 6:37*pm, "Pico Rico" > wrote:
>> "merryb" > wrote in message

>> > Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
>> > about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
>> > one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
>> > it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
>> > something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

>> I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
>> spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.
>>
>> I was surprised by the calcium (?) nuggets and the clear slime - what the
>> heck was that?

>Friend did this once after seeing one of these 'home improvement'
>shows. He battled the calcium deposits in the faucet screens for y-e-
>a-r-s. Every single week he had to go through the house and take the
>aerators off and rinse/pick the calcium away. He wished he'd never
>followed that bit of advice to prolong his water heater.

Imagine what that crud does to all the rest of the plumbing... that
indicates need of a water softener.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:12*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> > about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> > one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> > it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> > something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

> It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
> replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
> doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
> the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
> yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater. *Let
> the tank fill back up from your water supply. *It only takes a few hours but
> you might want to take a shower before you do this
>
> Jill in Southernmost SC

Exactly! He flushed it more than once, but all seems good now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:24*pm, JeanineAlyse > wrote:
> On Jun 9, 5:12*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:> It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
> > replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
> > doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
> > the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
> > yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater. *Let
> > the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours.....

> Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
> hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
> ...PickyCurious

I would think so....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> I would say if you have installed a new tank, and are motivated to start
> flushing it regularly, go for it. *Otherwise let sleeping dogs lie.
>
> Steve

This was here when we bought the house and think it was installed
about 1999. I'm sure the previous owner never did it, but glad we did!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

I do it once a year, or so and there is always sediment in the bottom of
the tank. I have a water heater - not a hot water heater. If I already
had hot water why would I need to heat it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:33*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:37:54 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
> wrote:
>

> >"merryb" > wrote in message
> >> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> >> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> >> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> >> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> >> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

> >I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
> >spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

> Normal people would attach a length of garden hose to the drain spigot
> and run it outdoors onto their lawn... can't hurt, you bathe with it,
> may even fertilize.

Exactly what he did, altho I hope he didn't bathe in it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse wrote:
> On Jun 9, 5:12 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
>> replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. It
>> doesn't take much to do it. A garden hose. Turn off the heater then attach
>> the hose and open the spigot. Let it drain out through the hose, into the
>> yard or down the driveway. Then shut the spigot on the water heater. Let
>> the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours....

> Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
> hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
> ...PickyCurious

The water is only turned off for the 15 minutes, or so, that it takes to
drain the water heater. The "hours" that Jill is referring to is the
time to re-heat the water.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:36*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:44:19 -0700 (PDT), "
>

> > wrote:

> >> I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
> >> spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

> >> I was surprised by the calcium (?) nuggets and the clear slime - what the
> >> heck was that?

> >Friend did this once after seeing one of these 'home improvement'
> >shows. *He battled the calcium deposits in the faucet screens for y-e-
> >a-r-s. *Every single week he had to go through the house and take the
> >aerators off and rinse/pick the calcium away. *He wished he'd never
> >followed that bit of advice to prolong his water heater.

> Imagine what that crud does to all the rest of the plumbing... that
> indicates need of a water softener.

I'm not sure about about the need for a water softener in this area-
we have wonderful water. I do remember my parents having one in N.
Cal, but I think this issue here was because of lack of care or even
knowing this is something that needs to be done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:47*pm, Earl > wrote:
> merryb wrote:
> > Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> > about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> > one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> > it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> > something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

> I do it once a year, or so and there is always sediment in the bottom of
> the tank. *I have a water heater - not a hot water heater. *If I already
> had hot water why would I need to heat it?

LOL- ya got me- just a water heater!
Have you noticed that it helped?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:50*pm, Earl > wrote:
> JeanineAlyse wrote:
> > On Jun 9, 5:12 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >> It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
> >> replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
> >> doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
> >> the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
> >> yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater.. *Let
> >> the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours.....

> > Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
> > hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
> > ...PickyCurious

> The water is only turned off for the 15 minutes, or so, that it takes to
> drain the water heater. *The "hours" that Jill is referring to is the
> time to re-heat the water.

It actually took a few hours as the husband flushed it more than once,
and it took a while to drain. I was surprised as it took very little
time to heat up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse wrote:
>"jmcquown" wrote:
>>
>> It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
>> replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
>> doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
>> the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
>> yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater. *Let
>> the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours....

>Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
>hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
>...PickyCurious

Absolutely, you're only closing the cold water feed valve to the
heater. In some areas it's advisable to shock the hot water tank to
kill the bacteria that accumulates, after it's flushed pour in a cup
of laundry bleach and then refill, open each hot water faucet one at
at time just till you smell bleach, then let your bleach filled
plumbing sit for like four hours to sanitize it. Then run all your
hot water to clear the system... you may smell bleach for a few days
but since you won't be drinking hot water it won't hurt you any more
than adding bleach to your clothes washer... bleach fumes are not very
healthful, they destroy lung and eye tissue, permanently, that tissue
does not regenerate, so it's a good idea to have plenty of ventilation
whenever using bleach, maybe leave your house to do yard work for a
few hours. People who mist kitchen counters with bleach solution are
very ignorant... and the fumes eminating from a bleach solution are
just as potent as those from full strength bleach. If you need to
bleach laundry stay out of the laundry area. It's safer not to use
chlorine bleach, use an oxidizing laundry product instead. The only
reason I keep a jug of bleach in my basement is to shock my well and
water heater.

Also about every three years replace the water heater's anode... it's
a sacrificial aluminum/magnesium rod that corrodes rather than the
water heater corroding.
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...047047,00.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 17:47:50 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Jun 9, 5:33*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:37:54 -0700, "Pico Rico" >
>> wrote:

>> >I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
>> >spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

>> Normal people would attach a length of garden hose to the drain spigot
>> and run it outdoors onto their lawn... can't hurt, you bathe with it,
>> may even fertilize.

>Exactly what he did, altho I hope he didn't bathe in it!

But every time you open a hot water tap that's the same water, you
bathed in it too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 6:09*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 17:47:50 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> >On Jun 9, 5:33*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> >> Normal people would attach a length of garden hose to the drain spigot
> >> and run it outdoors onto their lawn... can't hurt, you bathe with it,
> >> may even fertilize.

> >Exactly what he did, altho I hope he didn't bathe in it!

> But every time you open a hot water tap that's the same water, you
> bathed in it too.

True, but the water you get at you faucets comes from the top of the
heater, correct? So all the shit seems to be at the bottom- it goes
downhill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 6:05*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> JeanineAlyse wrote:
> >"jmcquown" wrote:

> >> It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
> >> replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
> >> doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
> >> the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
> >> yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater.. *Let
> >> the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours.....

> >Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
> >hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
> >...PickyCurious

> Absolutely, you're only closing the cold water feed valve to the
> heater. *In some areas it's advisable to shock the hot water tank to
> kill the bacteria that accumulates, after it's flushed pour in a cup
> of laundry bleach and then refill, open each hot water faucet one at
> at time just till you smell bleach, then let your bleach filled
> plumbing sit for like four hours to sanitize it. *Then run all your
> hot water to clear the system... you may smell bleach for a few days
> but since you won't be drinking hot water it won't hurt you any more
> than adding bleach to your clothes washer... bleach fumes are not very
> healthful, they destroy lung and eye tissue, permanently, that tissue
> does not regenerate, so it's a good idea to have plenty of ventilation
> whenever using bleach, maybe leave your house to do yard work for a
> few hours. *People who mist kitchen counters with bleach solution are
> very ignorant... and the fumes eminating from a bleach solution are
> just as potent as those from full strength bleach. *If you need to
> bleach laundry stay out of the laundry area. *It's safer not to use
> chlorine bleach, use an oxidizing laundry product instead. *The only
> reason I keep a jug of bleach in my basement is to shock my well and
> water heater.
>
> Also about every three years replace the water heater's anode... it's
> a sacrificial aluminum/magnesium rod that corrodes rather than the
> water heater corroding.http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...047047,00.html

Thanks for the anode recommendation. Another thing I never would have
thought of!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Earl" > wrote in message
> merryb wrote:
>> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
>> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
>> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
>> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
>> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!
>>

> I do it once a year, or so and there is always sediment in the bottom of
> the tank. I have a water heater - not a hot water heater. If I already
> had hot water why would I need to heat it?

well, the hot water cools down over time and when cold water is added, and
thus you need to reheat the hot water to make it even hotter, the temp you
like.

so, at the very first upon install it is a water heater, after that it is a
hot water heater.

Hey, you brought it up!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 17:52:44 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Jun 9, 5:36*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:44:19 -0700 (PDT), "
>>

>> > wrote:

>> >Friend did this once after seeing one of these 'home improvement'
>> >shows. *He battled the calcium deposits in the faucet screens for y-e-
>> >a-r-s. *Every single week he had to go through the house and take the
>> >aerators off and rinse/pick the calcium away. *He wished he'd never
>> >followed that bit of advice to prolong his water heater.

>> Imagine what that crud does to all the rest of the plumbing... that
>> indicates need of a water softener.

>I'm not sure about about the need for a water softener in this area-
>we have wonderful water. I do remember my parents having one in N.
>Cal, but I think this issue here was because of lack of care or even
>knowing this is something that needs to be done.

Calcium deposits indicate hard water... certainly simple enough to
test, inexpensive test kits are available at any major hardware store.
Water softeners pay for themselves.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 18:17:26 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On Jun 9, 6:09*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 17:47:50 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
>> wrote:

>> >Exactly what he did, altho I hope he didn't bathe in it!

>> But every time you open a hot water tap that's the same water, you
>> bathed in it too.

>True, but the water you get at you faucets comes from the top of the
>heater, correct? So all the shit seems to be at the bottom- it goes
>downhill

Not all. That's why you flush your heater... as you use it cold water
enters at the bottom and agitates all the water in the tank... and as
it heats all the water in the tank circulates same is when you heat a
pot on your stove top.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

I hadn't had it done until this year. But the water heater is fairly new.
The guy did it because we were having trouble with it. It wouldn't stay
lit. Seems like it was faulty wiring. My dad always flushed his.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 21:05:53 -0400, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

>Also about every three years replace the water heater's anode... it's
>a sacrificial aluminum/magnesium rod that corrodes rather than the
>water heater corroding.
>http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...047047,00.html

If you've ever had a sulfur/rotten egg smell in the hot water, that is
from the magnesium rod acting with the water. Replace with aluminum
or zinc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the vent
and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's a big
deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save you from a
house fire. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 00:50:06 -0500, "Polly Esther"
> wrote:

>While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
>dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the vent
>and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's a big
>deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save you from a
>house fire. Polly

Ask Robert De Niro-- Hope he fired his handyman.<g>
http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/de...icle-1.1092385
[me- burned by faulty Daily News Headline-- but it was the first link
I came to. The dryer wasn't faulty- the maintenance was.]

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 10:50*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
> dryer. *When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the vent
> and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? *It's a big
> deal. *Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save you from a
> house fire. *Polly

Good idea- also wash your lint filter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/10/2012 12:50 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
> dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the
> vent and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's
> a big deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save
> you from a house fire. Polly

It's never wise to operate any major appliance like clothes dryers,
washing machines, and dishwashers when one is away from home. Even
then, a disaster can happen, such as a washing machine that keeps
filling, and filling, and filling ...... and filling. I'd never want to
ever experience a clothes dryer causing a house fire - yikes! Another
good idea is keep at least one - or a few more - fire extinguishers
around the home in strategic locations like the kitchen, laundry room,
and garage, etc.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:

> On 6/10/2012 12:50 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> > While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
> > dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the
> > vent and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's
> > a big deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save
> > you from a house fire. Polly

> It's never wise to operate any major appliance like clothes dryers,
> washing machines, and dishwashers when one is away from home. Even
> then, a disaster can happen, such as a washing machine that keeps
> filling, and filling, and filling ...... and filling. I'd never want to
> ever experience a clothes dryer causing a house fire - yikes! Another
> good idea is keep at least one - or a few more - fire extinguishers
> around the home in strategic locations like the kitchen, laundry room,
> and garage, etc.
>
> Sky

I never leave the house with any appliance on or running except for the
refrigerator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/10/2012 12:43 PM, merryb wrote:
> On Jun 9, 10:50 pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
>> While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
>> dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the vent
>> and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's a big
>> deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save you from a
>> house fire. Polly

> Good idea- also wash your lint filter.

Robert DiNero just had a dryer fire, imagine living in a high
rise and a fire breaks out? Scary.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 8:51*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 17:52:44 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
> wrote:
>

> >On Jun 9, 5:36*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> >> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:44:19 -0700 (PDT), "

> >> Imagine what that crud does to all the rest of the plumbing... that
> >> indicates need of a water softener.

> >I'm not sure about about the need for a water softener in this area-
> >we have wonderful water. I do remember my parents having one in N.
> >Cal, but I think this issue here was because of lack of care or even
> >knowing this is something that needs to be done.

> Calcium deposits indicate hard water... certainly simple enough to
> test, inexpensive test kits are available at any major hardware store.
> Water softeners pay for themselves.

If one has great tasting hard water, it is possible to have the water
to the kitchen come off the line upstream of the softener, with the
softened water going to the bathroom and laundry room. Well water in
the Salem Plateau tastes wonderful, but is moderately hard, and a
softener improves water quality as far as cleaning goes, but detracts
from the taste. The way that "water softeners pay for themselves" is
through decreased use of soaps and detergents, and extended life of
washing machines, but I'm skeptical that they actually do "pay for
themselves." I remember doing the math on inline water heaters and
determining that it was less costly over the next 20 or 30 (I don't
recall how many) years, it was cheaper to use a conventional tank-type
one. Certainly, water softeners somewhat offset their costs.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 7:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> I would say if you have installed a new tank, and are motivated to start
> flushing it regularly, go for it. *Otherwise let sleeping dogs lie.

The only harm possible with doing it to an older one is ending up with
a tiny bit of leakage from the bottom spigot afterward. That resolves
itself within days/weeks/months, as the calcium carbonate forms a new
seal. Flushing the tank does have some effect on efficiency, as more
of the BTUs from the gas make their way to the water instead of out
the flue or to the surrounding area.

> Steve

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 5:51*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Jun 9, 7:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> > I would say if you have installed a new tank, and are motivated to start
> > flushing it regularly, go for it. *Otherwise let sleeping dogs lie.

> The only harm possible with doing it to an older one is ending up with
> a tiny bit of leakage from the bottom spigot afterward. *That resolves
> itself within days/weeks/months, as the calcium carbonate forms a new
> seal. *Flushing the tank does have some effect on efficiency, as more
> of the BTUs from the gas make their way to the water instead of out
> the flue or to the surrounding area.
>

> > Steve

> --Bryan

Thanks for your reply! My husband is hoping that this was not opening
another can of worms, but seems to be okay now. Just concerned a bit
as this one of the things we have never heard of hearing needing to do
in your home on a yearly basis- this water heater is from 1998.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 1:48*pm, Gary > wrote:
> Sky wrote:
>
> > On 6/10/2012 12:50 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
> > > While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
> > > dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the
> > > vent and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's
> > > a big deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save
> > > you from a house fire. Polly

> > It's never wise to operate any major appliance like clothes dryers,
> > washing machines, and dishwashers when one is away from home. *Even
> > then, a disaster can happen, such as a washing machine that keeps
> > filling, and filling, and filling ...... and filling. *I'd never want to
> > ever experience a clothes dryer causing a house fire - yikes! *Another
> > good idea is keep at least one - or a few more - fire extinguishers
> > around the home in strategic locations like the kitchen, laundry room,
> > and garage, etc.

> > Sky

> I never leave the house with any appliance on or running except for the
> refrigerator.

I had a friend growing up who's dad was an engineer. When they left
the house, he always unplugged the TV. Well, that is one sure way to
not get a power surge from a lightning strike while gone. But seemed
like a lot of work to do every time. Well, not a lot of work. But
just kinda overkill... My ex's kids would complain when I turned off
the TV when they left the room to go make some snack or the bathroom,
etc, and were gone 10-15 minutes. It takes one button on a remote to
turn on the TV, and takes about 5 seconds to come on. And they would
complain! Meanwhile, if they left it on it was just wasting
electricity and generating a lot of heat. Yes, there is the "wear and
tear' of turning on and off the TV component electronics but these
days that doesn't seem to be a problem. When they begin paying the
electric bill maybe they will they understand

..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 11:20*pm, merryb > wrote:
> On Jun 10, 5:51*pm, Bryan > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 9, 7:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:

> > > I would say if you have installed a new tank, and are motivated to start
> > > flushing it regularly, go for it. *Otherwise let sleeping dogs lie.

> > The only harm possible with doing it to an older one is ending up with
> > a tiny bit of leakage from the bottom spigot afterward. *That resolves
> > itself within days/weeks/months, as the calcium carbonate forms a new
> > seal. *Flushing the tank does have some effect on efficiency, as more
> > of the BTUs from the gas make their way to the water instead of out
> > the flue or to the surrounding area.

> > > Steve

> > --Bryan

> Thanks for your reply! My husband is hoping that this was not opening
> another can of worms, but seems to be okay now. Just concerned a bit
> as this one of the things we have never heard of hearing needing to do
> in your home on a yearly basis- this water heater is from 1998.

I've always heard it's a good idea, but I never have done. Seems
condos these days like to put them upstairs. My sisters is like that
(in her "attic") and previous newish condo I had had one in a second
floor closet. Always worried it was going to leak and ruin the
ceiling and wall... Would not be easy to drain a water heater on the
second floor... Personally, I just let sleeping dogs lie regarding the
water heater. And figure just replace every 10 or so years?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 4:14*am, MotoFox > wrote:
> And it came to pass that Gary delivered the following message unto the
> people, saying~
>
> > I never leave the house with any appliance on or running except for the
> > refrigerator.

> I admit to often leaving the satellite receiver and VCR running when I'm
> not around, even today.
>
> Like I'm going to stay around the whole time my show's recording! Kind of
> defeats the whole purpose of having a VCR.....

I tried digital cable a few years back and turned the unit off when I
wasn't using-- but then it didn't record. It generated a fair amount
of heat and when I looked it, it said it used something like 500
watts. When I called the cable company, they said I had to leave that
unit on to record shows even through my VCR. That's quite a bit of
energy to be wasting on a long term basis. I boxed the thing up and
took it back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 3:32*pm, merryb > wrote:
> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

This is what I call my quivering lip moment. Worried and concerned.
I've never done it, the heater is about 8 y o. I watched a youtuber
or two and someone mentioned that maybe it's a problematic thing if it
HASN"T been done. Let well enough alone? What think you all?
Mine is operating fine so far.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 1:24*am, MotoFox > wrote:

> At the apartment I have "instant" water heaters--this is a little box
> mounted in the closet or under the kitchen sink that provides hot water as

Did you notice any significant difference in your elec. bill?

Does is supply all the hot water want or need?

I'm looking for the downside....