Old 09-06-2012, 08:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT- Flushing out your hot water heater?

Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

Old 10-06-2012, 12:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote in message
Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

I was surprised by the calcium (?) nuggets and the clear slime - what the
heck was that?

Old 10-06-2012, 12:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 6:37*pm, "Pico Rico" wrote:
"merryb" wrote in message

Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

I was surprised by the calcium (?) nuggets and the clear slime - what the
heck was that?

Friend did this once after seeing one of these 'home improvement'
shows. He battled the calcium deposits in the faucet screens for y-e-
a-r-s. Every single week he had to go through the house and take the
aerators off and rinse/pick the calcium away. He wished he'd never
followed that bit of advice to prolong his water heater.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:12 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote in message
Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. It
doesn't take much to do it. A garden hose. Turn off the heater then attach
the hose and open the spigot. Let it drain out through the hose, into the
yard or down the driveway. Then shut the spigot on the water heater. Let
the tank fill back up from your water supply. It only takes a few hours but
you might want to take a shower before you do this

Jill in Southernmost SC

Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:12*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater. *Let
the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours....

Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
....PickyCurious

Old 10-06-2012, 01:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

I would say if you have installed a new tank, and are motivated to start
flushing it regularly, go for it. Otherwise let sleeping dogs lie.

Steve
Old 10-06-2012, 01:33 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 16:37:54 -0700, "Pico Rico"
wrote:

"merryb" wrote in message
Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

Normal people would attach a length of garden hose to the drain spigot
and run it outdoors onto their lawn... can't hurt, you bathe with it,
may even fertilize.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

[...]

Imagine what that crud does to all the rest of the plumbing... that
indicates need of a water softener.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote in message

... Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater. *Let
the tank fill back up from your water supply. *It only takes a few hours but
you might want to take a shower before you do this

Jill in Southernmost SC

Exactly! He flushed it more than once, but all seems good now.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:24*pm, JeanineAlyse wrote:
On Jun 9, 5:12*pm, "jmcquown" wrote: It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. *It
doesn't take much to do it. *A garden hose. *Turn off the heater then attach
the hose and open the spigot. *Let it drain out through the hose, into the
yard or down the driveway. *Then shut the spigot on the water heater. *Let
the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours.....

Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
...PickyCurious

I would think so....

Old 10-06-2012, 01:44 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 9, 5:30*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
I would say if you have installed a new tank, and are motivated to start
flushing it regularly, go for it. *Otherwise let sleeping dogs lie.

Steve

This was here when we bought the house and think it was installed
about 1999. I'm sure the previous owner never did it, but glad we did!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

I do it once a year, or so and there is always sediment in the bottom of
the tank. I have a water heater - not a hot water heater. If I already
had hot water why would I need to heat it?

Old 10-06-2012, 01:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

"merryb" wrote in message
Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

I have done it, but since the water heater is all the way in the garage, any
spills drips make a mess of all the clutter filling the garage.

Normal people would attach a length of garden hose to the drain spigot
and run it outdoors onto their lawn... can't hurt, you bathe with it,
may even fertilize.

Exactly what he did, altho I hope he didn't bathe in it!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse wrote:
On Jun 9, 5:12 pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
It was suggested to me by a neighbor, who had to have her water heater
replaced, flushing the water heater once a year is a very good idea. It
doesn't take much to do it. A garden hose. Turn off the heater then attach
the hose and open the spigot. Let it drain out through the hose, into the
yard or down the driveway. Then shut the spigot on the water heater. Let
the tank fill back up from your water supply...only takes a few hours....

Will I be able to run/use the household cold water faucets during the
hours that the garage heater's water supply is turned off?
...PickyCurious

The water is only turned off for the 15 minutes, or so, that it takes to
drain the water heater. The "hours" that Jill is referring to is the
time to re-heat the water.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" wrote in message

[...]

I'm not sure about about the need for a water softener in this area-
we have wonderful water. I do remember my parents having one in N.
Cal, but I think this issue here was because of lack of care or even
knowing this is something that needs to be done.