Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT- Flushing out your hot water heater?

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:07:05 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>On 6/10/2012 12:50 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>> While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
>> dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the
>> vent and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's
>> a big deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save
>> you from a house fire. Polly

>It's never wise to operate any major appliance like clothes dryers,
>washing machines, and dishwashers when one is away from home. Even
>then, a disaster can happen, such as a washing machine that keeps
>filling, and filling, and filling ...... and filling. I'd never want to
>ever experience a clothes dryer causing a house fire - yikes! Another
>good idea is keep at least one - or a few more - fire extinguishers
>around the home in strategic locations like the kitchen, laundry room,
>and garage, etc.
>
>Sky

I don't go to bed with the clothes dryer going. And I have a smoke
detector right outside my laundry room. I turn off the fill valves
when not using my washer (two ball valves), those fill hoses can burst
and always when one is on an extended vacation. It's wise to inspect
those hoses often and replace them like every three years. A kit for
cleaning the dryer vent is very inexpensive and it's very easy to do,
takes five minutes... it's just a thing like a large bottle brush that
one attches to an electric drill and passes through the vent duct
work. I don't bother with the drill, I rotate it slowly by hand. Then
I let the machine blow all the loosened lint out into my yard, this
time of year the birds collect it for lining their nests. My dryer is
not on an outside wall so the vent runs some ten feet to the outside,
so I have to use extention rods thet come with the kit. This kit
works well, and it's much less expensive from Amazon than Lowe's.
http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-...9441777&sr=8-1
Of course it's a good idea to clean your dryer's lint screen each
time, and I have a gizmo that attaches to my Dyson vacuum cleaner that
can reach way into the bowels of the dryer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/11/2012 2:14 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:07:05 -0500, >
> wrote:
>
>> It's never wise to operate any major appliance like clothes dryers,
>> washing machines, and dishwashers when one is away from home. Even
>> then, a disaster can happen, such as a washing machine that keeps
>> filling, and filling, and filling ...... and filling. I'd never want to
>> ever experience a clothes dryer causing a house fire - yikes! Another
>> good idea is keep at least one - or a few more - fire extinguishers
>> around the home in strategic locations like the kitchen, laundry room,
>> and garage, etc.
>>
>> Sky

> I don't go to bed with the clothes dryer going. And I have a smoke
> detector right outside my laundry room. I turn off the fill valves
> when not using my washer (two ball valves), those fill hoses can burst
> and always when one is on an extended vacation. It's wise to inspect
> those hoses often and replace them like every three years. A kit for
> cleaning the dryer vent is very inexpensive and it's very easy to do,
> takes five minutes... it's just a thing like a large bottle brush that
> one attches to an electric drill and passes through the vent duct
> work. I don't bother with the drill, I rotate it slowly by hand. Then
> I let the machine blow all the loosened lint out into my yard, this
> time of year the birds collect it for lining their nests. My dryer is
> not on an outside wall so the vent runs some ten feet to the outside,
> so I have to use extention rods thet come with the kit. This kit
> works well, and it's much less expensive from Amazon than Lowe's.
> http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-...9441777&sr=8-1
> Of course it's a good idea to clean your dryer's lint screen each
> time, and I have a gizmo that attaches to my Dyson vacuum cleaner that
> can reach way into the bowels of the dryer.

That's good advice, and I've never operated any major appliance while
sleeping. The water supply to the washing machine always gets turned
off when Spouse and I leave home for any extended period of time. That
'chore' is even listed on the generic "packing list", along with 'hold
mail', 'hold newspapers', and 'vacation watch' request with the local
police department. Heck, even the refrigerator's ice-maker machine and
its water supply get turned off, too .... Just in case (knock on wood!)!

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 15:17:02 -0500, Sky >
wrote:

>On 6/11/2012 2:14 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:07:05 -0500, >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> It's never wise to operate any major appliance like clothes dryers,
>>> washing machines, and dishwashers when one is away from home. Even
>>> then, a disaster can happen, such as a washing machine that keeps
>>> filling, and filling, and filling ...... and filling. I'd never want to
>>> ever experience a clothes dryer causing a house fire - yikes! Another
>>> good idea is keep at least one - or a few more - fire extinguishers
>>> around the home in strategic locations like the kitchen, laundry room,
>>> and garage, etc.
>>>
>>> Sky

>> I don't go to bed with the clothes dryer going. And I have a smoke
>> detector right outside my laundry room. I turn off the fill valves
>> when not using my washer (two ball valves), those fill hoses can burst
>> and always when one is on an extended vacation. It's wise to inspect
>> those hoses often and replace them like every three years. A kit for
>> cleaning the dryer vent is very inexpensive and it's very easy to do,
>> takes five minutes... it's just a thing like a large bottle brush that
>> one attches to an electric drill and passes through the vent duct
>> work. I don't bother with the drill, I rotate it slowly by hand. Then
>> I let the machine blow all the loosened lint out into my yard, this
>> time of year the birds collect it for lining their nests. My dryer is
>> not on an outside wall so the vent runs some ten feet to the outside,
>> so I have to use extention rods thet come with the kit. This kit
>> works well, and it's much less expensive from Amazon than Lowe's.
>> http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RLE202-...9441777&sr=8-1
>> Of course it's a good idea to clean your dryer's lint screen each
>> time, and I have a gizmo that attaches to my Dyson vacuum cleaner that
>> can reach way into the bowels of the dryer.

>That's good advice, and I've never operated any major appliance while
>sleeping. The water supply to the washing machine always gets turned
>off when Spouse and I leave home for any extended period of time. That
>'chore' is even listed on the generic "packing list", along with 'hold
>mail', 'hold newspapers', and 'vacation watch' request with the local
>police department. Heck, even the refrigerator's ice-maker machine and
>its water supply get turned off, too .... Just in case (knock on wood!)!
>
>Sky

Yup, much better safe than sorry. Having a check list is a great
idea. There are many small safety things that folks neglect to do;
changing smoke detector batterys regularly, have good quality non skid
bath mats and install commercial quality grab bars in the tub/shower
area (many are pretty but worthless).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 1:07*pm, Sky > wrote:
> On 6/10/2012 12:50 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>
> > While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
> > dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the
> > vent and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's
> > a big deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save
> > you from a house fire. Polly

> It's never wise to operate any major appliance like clothes dryers,
> washing machines, and dishwashers when one is away from home. *Even
> then, a disaster can happen, such as a washing machine that keeps
> filling, and filling, and filling ...... and filling. *I'd never want to
> ever experience a clothes dryer causing a house fire - yikes! *Another
> good idea is keep at least one - or a few more - fire extinguishers
> around the home in strategic locations like the kitchen, laundry room,
> and garage, etc.
>
> Sky

Another goodie is to shut off water main. Knew folks whose entire
basement and first floor was flooded when toilet tank broke and water
ran over an entire three day weekend. Six months to get the house
back in shape.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Regarding flushing out the water heater. OP mentioned things and slime
coming out. I saw that first hand today. Plumbers came and had to drain a 3
year old tank to move it. That slime is clear, semi-thick, and very nasty.
He did say that everyone should flush theirs out once a year.

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kalmia wrote:

> On Jun 9, 3:32 pm, merryb > wrote:
> > Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> > about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> > one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> > it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> > something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

> This is what I call my quivering lip moment. Worried and concerned.
> I've never done it, the heater is about 8 y o. I watched a youtuber
> or two and someone mentioned that maybe it's a problematic thing if it
> HASN"T been done. Let well enough alone? What think you all?
> Mine is operating fine so far.

After what I saw this morning? do it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 2:36*pm, Gary > wrote:
> Regarding flushing out the water heater. OP mentioned things and slime
> coming out. *I saw that first hand today. Plumbers came and had to drain a 3
> year old tank to move it. *That slime is clear, semi-thick, and very nasty.
> He did say that everyone should flush theirs out once a year.
>
> Gary

You were having a problem with it to begin with? I hope all is ok
without a big bill.
We have had no problem since it was done 2 days ago, but weren't
having one to begin with. I'm just relieved that we didn't wake the
sleeping dog.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 11, 6:38*am, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Jun 9, 3:32*pm, merryb > wrote:
>
> > Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> > about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> > one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> > it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> > something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

> This is what I call my quivering lip moment. *Worried and concerned.
> I've never done it, the heater is about 8 y o. *I watched a youtuber
> or two and someone mentioned that maybe it's a problematic thing if it
> HASN"T been done. *Let well enough alone? *What think you all?
> Mine is operating fine so far.

Mine was fine too, but am glad we know to do it now. It is pretty icky
as Gary also mentions.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> On Jun 11, 2:36 pm, Gary > wrote:
> > Regarding flushing out the water heater. OP mentioned things and slime
> > coming out. I saw that first hand today. Plumbers came and had to drain a 3
> > year old tank to move it. That slime is clear, semi-thick, and very nasty.
> > He did say that everyone should flush theirs out once a year.
> >
> > Gary

> You were having a problem with it to begin with? I hope all is ok
> without a big bill.
> We have had no problem since it was done 2 days ago, but weren't
> having one to begin with. I'm just relieved that we didn't wake the
> sleeping dog.

No. It wasn't mine. This was on a job that I worked at today.
Just so funny that you just mentioned it the other day and here I saw it
firsthand today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 6/11/2012 4:04 PM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Jun 10, 1:07 pm, > wrote:
>> On 6/10/2012 12:50 AM, Polly Esther wrote:
>>
>>> While we're flushing, now's as good a time as any to flush the clothes
>>> dryer. When was the last time you pulled it from the wall, cleaned the
>>> vent and then went outside to see what you could brush from there? It's
>>> a big deal. Well, not in effort but cleaning out the fluff could save
>>> you from a house fire. Polly

>> It's never wise to operate any major appliance like clothes dryers,
>> washing machines, and dishwashers when one is away from home. Even
>> then, a disaster can happen, such as a washing machine that keeps
>> filling, and filling, and filling ...... and filling. I'd never want to
>> ever experience a clothes dryer causing a house fire - yikes! Another
>> good idea is keep at least one - or a few more - fire extinguishers
>> around the home in strategic locations like the kitchen, laundry room,
>> and garage, etc.

> Another goodie is to shut off water main. Knew folks whose entire
> basement and first floor was flooded when toilet tank broke and water
> ran over an entire three day weekend. Six months to get the house
> back in shape.

I'd considered shutting off the main water valve, but then realized that
might not be a good idea. That'd entail turning off the water heater,
too, I suspect. Most folks never turn off the water heater - I know I
never have. Not to mention there might be other unforeseen problems, as
well ?? That's why most folks have "home owner's" insurance" (knock on
wood).

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Jun 9, 5:47 pm, Earl > wrote:
>> merryb wrote:
>>> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
>>> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
>>> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
>>> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
>>> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

>> I do it once a year, or so and there is always sediment in the bottom of
>> the tank. I have a water heater - not a hot water heater. If I already
>> had hot water why would I need to heat it?

> LOL- ya got me- just a water heater!
> Have you noticed that it helped?

I don't know if it helps. It does drain sediment from the tank so it
can't hurt. Why heat sediment?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pico Rico wrote:
> "Earl" > wrote in message
>> merryb wrote:
>>> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
>>> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
>>> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
>>> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
>>> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!
>>>

>> I do it once a year, or so and there is always sediment in the bottom of
>> the tank. I have a water heater - not a hot water heater. If I already
>> had hot water why would I need to heat it?

> well, the hot water cools down over time and when cold water is added, and
> thus you need to reheat the hot water to make it even hotter, the temp you
> like.
>
> so, at the very first upon install it is a water heater, after that it is a
> hot water heater.
>
> Hey, you brought it up!

Not according to the manufacturers, Lowes, Sears, or Home Depot!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/06/2012 7:44 PM, Sky wrote:

>> Another goodie is to shut off water main. Knew folks whose entire
>> basement and first floor was flooded when toilet tank broke and water
>> ran over an entire three day weekend. Six months to get the house
>> back in shape.

> I'd considered shutting off the main water valve, but then realized that
> might not be a good idea. That'd entail turning off the water heater,
> too, I suspect. Most folks never turn off the water heater - I know I
> never have. Not to mention there might be other unforeseen problems, as
> well ?? That's why most folks have "home owner's" insurance" (knock on
> wood).

If we go away for more than a few days I shot off the water heater and
the water pressure system. You never know. A slow leak somewhere could
cause the pressure system to keep recycling and run the well or cistern dry.

Some years back we had friends who were here from BC on a work exchange
They drove back to BC and stopped to visit family on the way. They gave
us the keys to their house and we were to meet them there, but we would
be there a few days ahead of them. The fellow with whom they had
exchanged jobs and houses had left a week or two before we arrived in
Victoria. When we arrived there was a bit of a flood. The water supply
line to the upstairs toilet had a hairline crack in it and there was a
fine spray of water. Luckily, a neighbour had been checking on it every
few days, so it had not been going on too long, and since it was being
monitored the insurance was still valid. I hate to imagine what kind of
a mess they would have found if we had not been there and the leak had
gone on for a week or more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 06:18:49 -0700 (PDT), somebody
> wrote:

>I tried digital cable a few years back and turned the unit off when I
>wasn't using-- but then it didn't record. It generated a fair amount
>of heat and when I looked it, it said it used something like 500
>watts. When I called the cable company, they said I had to leave that
>unit on to record shows even through my VCR. That's quite a bit of
>energy to be wasting on a long term basis. I boxed the thing up and
>took it back.

That is about the heat of a space heater on low setting.

The ones I have take a negligible amount of power in standby mode.
just a tiny bit more in use. 35W.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 20:08:51 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

> If we go away for more than a few days I shot off the water heater and
> the water pressure system. You never know. A slow leak somewhere could
> cause the pressure system to keep recycling and run the well or cistern dry.

I've told this story before, but I'll repeat it because no one will
remember.

Hubby and I went out for the evening (back in the pre-cell phone days)
and the kids stayed home with a baby sitter. Thankfully, the
babysitter lived on my block and I knew her parents. While we were
gone, one of the fittings on the bathroom sink at the top of the
stairs came undone and we had a waterfall down the stairs. Why? I
dunno. It had been tight for years. Anyway, the baby sitter called
her parents and they called other neighbors whose daughters also
babysat for us and all four parents took all of our towels out of the
closet and mopped up the mess. I never found out if they brought
towel of their own also, all I know is that I came back to a house
that looked like I'd left it but I had a gargantuan pile of wet towels
to launder and a heck of a story to go with it. Now that I'm older
and look back, a bottle of champagne didn't begin to cover what they
did for me! Of course, I always invited them to our parties and they
didn't have any, so maybe that was their way of paying me back. I
dunno. All I know is that I'm still grateful for what they did for
me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/2012 6:44 PM, Sky wrote:
> On 6/11/2012 4:04 PM, Kalmia wrote:

>> Another goodie is to shut off water main. Knew folks whose entire
>> basement and first floor was flooded when toilet tank broke and water
>> ran over an entire three day weekend. Six months to get the house
>> back in shape.

> I'd considered shutting off the main water valve, but then realized that
> might not be a good idea. That'd entail turning off the water heater,
> too, I suspect. Most folks never turn off the water heater - I know I
> never have. Not to mention there might be other unforeseen problems, as
> well ?? That's why most folks have "home owner's" insurance" (knock on
> wood).

When we go away during the winter, I usually shut off the water at the
main. Years ago I had a pipe split in a basement (when I was living in
PA). The only thing that kept that from being a disaster was that the
basement wasn't finished and the leak happened about 10 feet away from a
sump pump.

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 23:04:47 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 06:18:49 -0700 (PDT), somebody
> wrote:
>

>>I tried digital cable a few years back and turned the unit off when I
>>wasn't using-- but then it didn't record. It generated a fair amount
>>of heat and when I looked it, it said it used something like 500
>>watts. When I called the cable company, they said I had to leave that
>>unit on to record shows even through my VCR. That's quite a bit of
>>energy to be wasting on a long term basis. I boxed the thing up and
>>took it back.

>That is about the heat of a space heater on low setting.
>
>The ones I have take a negligible amount of power in standby mode.
>just a tiny bit more in use. 35W.

My digital cable box has two wattaage ratings, 24 watts in standby and
*up to* 500 watts when operating because it can record several
programs at once. I rarely record at night so I power off my office
box at night, heck I rarely recard during day time. My bedroom box is
powered off all day but I turn it on at night because I have that TV
on all night. Modern flat panel HDTVs consume far less wattage than
cathode tube TVs. The big screen HDTV in my bedroom reflects enough
light to illuminate my front entryway, I no longer leave that 150 watt
outdoor flood light on all night. Many people are useing big screen
HDTVs as a security device, they leave one on 24/7 so people will
think they're home. For a couple of years now I can't tell if my
neighbors are home or not, they never turn off the big screen HDTV in
their front living room.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/06/2012 7:44 PM, Sky wrote:

> I'd considered shutting off the main water valve, but then realized that
> might not be a good idea. That'd entail turning off the water heater,
> too, I suspect. Most folks never turn off the water heater - I know I
> never have. Not to mention there might be other unforeseen problems, as
> well ?? That's why most folks have "home owner's" insurance" (knock on
> wood).

If you turn off the water you should turn off the hot water tank. If you
are going away for any amount of time there is no need to keep water
hot. As soon as you get back you turn it back on and you should have hot
water within an hour or so.

You might want to check your homeowner's policy. Some of them are not
valid if the house has been vacant for three days or more. You should
have someone come in and check. If not, and something happens, you will
have to fib and say that someone was checking it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 11/06/2012 7:44 PM, Sky wrote:
>
>> I'd considered shutting off the main water valve, but then realized that
>> might not be a good idea. That'd entail turning off the water heater,
>> too, I suspect. Most folks never turn off the water heater - I know I
>> never have. Not to mention there might be other unforeseen problems, as
>> well ?? That's why most folks have "home owner's" insurance" (knock on
>> wood).
>>

> If you turn off the water you should turn off the hot water tank. If
> you are going away for any amount of time there is no need to keep
> water hot. As soon as you get back you turn it back on and you should
> have hot water within an hour or so.
>
> You might want to check your homeowner's policy. Some of them are not
> valid if the house has been vacant for three days or more. You should
> have someone come in and check. If not, and something happens, you
> will have to fib and say that someone was checking it.

I've never heard of that. Are you in the US?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:43:36 -0400, Earl >
wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:

>> You might want to check your homeowner's policy. Some of them are not
>> valid if the house has been vacant for three days or more. You should
>> have someone come in and check. If not, and something happens, you
>> will have to fib and say that someone was checking it.

>I've never heard of that. Are you in the US?

Dave is in Canada, but the US has some rules on that. If a house is
not lived in for xx days, they will not cover it. This can happen if
you move and the former house did not close yet, etc.

Never heard of the three days though. Not much vacation time allowed
that way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/11/12 7:52 PM, Earl wrote:

> Not according to the manufacturers, Lowes, Sears, or Home Depot!

The people who install hot water heaters for all three of the above all
recommend draining the water and sediment annually.

-- Larry

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 22:46:09 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:43:36 -0400, Earl >
>wrote:
>
>>Dave Smith wrote:

>>> You might want to check your homeowner's policy. Some of them are not
>>> valid if the house has been vacant for three days or more. You should
>>> have someone come in and check. If not, and something happens, you
>>> will have to fib and say that someone was checking it.

>>I've never heard of that. Are you in the US?

>Dave is in Canada, but the US has some rules on that. If a house is
>not lived in for xx days, they will not cover it. This can happen if
>you move and the former house did not close yet, etc.
>
>Never heard of the three days though. Not much vacation time allowed
>that way.

It would be a lot more than three days, and it's not for the owner
being absent, it's more for the owner placing a different resident.
The correct term is "Owner Occupied", most mortgages and home owners
insurance policies have substantially higher rates for Non-owner
occupied... this came about several years ago with the proliforation
of folks owning several residences, whether as vacation homes or used
as income/spec properties... for income properties the insurance rates
are even higher, and one needs to buy a rental rider for their
standard home owner's policy (can add about $150/month) or they won't
be covered. If a mortgage holder finds out you lied about the owner
occupied clause they will penalize you by increasing your rate and
retroactive to day one... this is why many owners won't give a tenant
a [written] lease/rental agreement and some insist on paying rent in
cash. Typically with private house rentals both the landlord and
tenant forego a formal lease upon renewal, by then they know each
other well enough to make it a verbal. I've had several tenants who
couldn't even find time to renew a lease, and were happy to accept a
verbal since I didn't raise the rent... I had tenants mail me a years
worth of post dated rent checks, was better as we didn't need to see
each other. My last tenant was a *** guy who stayed that way for 15
years (saw him in person twice in all that time and very few phone
calls), he paid my 15 year mortgage and then rather than move when I
told him I was selling upon retirement he bought the house... the
idiot actually bought it three times, once with his rent, and two more
times by paying double what I paid... actually more because his rent
covered taxes and ins and I got to take the write off. And I asked
him to buy the house several times over the 15 years he lived there.
During the 15 years he must have had 30 different *** guys shacking
with him, that's gays for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Tue, 12 Jun 2012 18:43:36 -0400, Earl >
> wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> You might want to check your homeowner's policy. Some of them are not
>>> valid if the house has been vacant for three days or more. You should
>>> have someone come in and check. If not, and something happens, you
>>> will have to fib and say that someone was checking it.

>> I've never heard of that. Are you in the US?

> Dave is in Canada, but the US has some rules on that. If a house is
> not lived in for xx days, they will not cover it. This can happen if
> you move and the former house did not close yet, etc.
>
> Never heard of the three days though. Not much vacation time allowed
> that way.

That's what I was thinking. I don't need a house sitter if I'm gone for
a week...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb > wrote:
> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

Was always afraid that the tank valve would catch some of that crud, and
not fully shut off.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 02:03:54 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

>merryb > wrote:
>> Watching a home improvement show this morning, and they were talking
>> about doing this yearly. I don't ever remember hearing that this is
>> one of those odd jobs that need to be done. Husband is outside doing
>> it now, and ICK! The rust & sediment build up is amazing. Is this
>> something you all do? If not, it might be a good idea!

>Was always afraid that the tank valve would catch some of that crud, and
>not fully shut off.
>
>Greg

The drain is just a hose bib valve, nothing to clog... if it drips
from trapped sediment drain a pint again to flush out any schmutz...
and even if it continues to drip for under $2 there are brass caps for
hose bibs... every homeowner needs a couple just in case:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_34769-104-A-...p&face tInfo=
And it's no biggie to repair/replace a hot water tank hose bib valve
next you drain the tank. If you don't flush the tank regularly there
is a good chance that the pressure relief control valve can clog, that
requires buying and installing new, can cost like $50 just for the
valve, and you may need a plumber. It's a good idea to flush your hot
water heater regularly.