Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default I am in love

My newest taste infatuation is tamari. I don't need no stinkin' wheat
in my beer or my soy sauce.
http://www.amazon.com/San-J-Reduced-.../dp/B0004M1J54

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jun 9, 8:10*am, Bryan > wrote:
> My newest taste infatuation is tamari. *I don't need no stinkin' wheat
> in my beer or my soy sauce.http://www.amazon.com/San-J-Reduced-.../dp/B0004M1J54
>
> --Bryan

I've been using tamari for years (Make sure it says wheat free on it,
some aren't). I like it's flavor better than soy sauce. Welcome
to the crowd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:10:14 AM UTC-6, Bryan wrote:
> My newest taste infatuation is tamari. I don't need no stinkin' wheat
> in my beer or my soy sauce.
> http://www.amazon.com/San-J-Reduced-.../dp/B0004M1J54
>
> --Bryan

From Yahoo:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5111905AAe6wk3

I am definitely going to try tamari...sounds like a far better soya sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2012 12:50 PM, Roy wrote:
> On Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:10:14 AM UTC-6, Bryan wrote:
>> My newest taste infatuation is tamari. I don't need no stinkin' wheat
>> in my beer or my soy sauce.
>> http://www.amazon.com/San-J-Reduced-.../dp/B0004M1J54
>>
>> --Bryan

> From Yahoo:
>
> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5111905AAe6wk3
>
> I am definitely going to try tamari...sounds like a far better soya sauce.

It's not "better" than, say, Kikkoman Shoyu; it's just a different type
and more like the original Chinese soy sauce, I believe. Even the
Japanese make different types of soy sauce, including lower sodium but
the Chinese make light and dark varieties. The dark is rather sweet and
is often replaced in default by using regular Soy sauce and some molasses.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-09 17:43:50 +0000, James Silverton said:

> On 6/9/2012 12:50 PM, Roy wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 9, 2012 9:10:14 AM UTC-6, Bryan wrote:
>>> My newest taste infatuation is tamari. I don't need no stinkin' wheat
>>> in my beer or my soy sauce.
>>> http://www.amazon.com/San-J-Reduced-.../dp/B0004M1J54
>>>
>>> --Bryan

>> From Yahoo:
>>
>> http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...5111905AAe6wk3
>>
>> I am definitely going to try tamari...sounds like a far better soya sauce.
>>

> It's not "better" than, say, Kikkoman Shoyu; it's just a different type
> and more like the original Chinese soy sauce, I believe.

I've been using Kikkoman soy all my life, switching somewhere along the
green cap. A couple of weeks ago in a favored Japanese restaurant I
found I was using a great soy, and that it was Yamasa. I bought a
bottle the next week. I like it much much better.

> Even the Japanese make different types of soy sauce, including lower
> sodium but the Chinese make light and dark varieties. The dark is
> rather sweet and is often replaced in default by using regular Soy
> sauce and some molasses.

The Japanese also many varieties including light and dark varieties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Light soy sauce [was; I am in love]

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 13:29:36 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2012-06-09 17:43:50 +0000, James Silverton said:

-snip-
>> Even the Japanese make different types of soy sauce, including lower
>> sodium but the Chinese make light and dark varieties. The dark is
>> rather sweet and is often replaced in default by using regular Soy
>> sauce and some molasses.

>The Japanese also many varieties including light and dark varieties.

so what is 'light' about light soy sauce?

I've been a Kikkoman user just because it was good enough and
available.

But that smacked cucumber recipe called for light soy sauce, so I
dutifully bought some.

It is *not* light colored. It is *not* light on the salt. It is
*not* light on flavor-- to me it is the balsamic vinegar of soy sauce.

This is what I got-
http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/A...p/hasgseij.htm
[though for about 1/2 that price]

Is 'supreme (grade A)' just marketing- or is there a grade B?

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/9/2012 7:43 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> It's not "better" than, say, Kikkoman Shoyu; it's just a different type
> and more like the original Chinese soy sauce, I believe. Even the
> Japanese make different types of soy sauce, including lower sodium but
> the Chinese make light and dark varieties. The dark is rather sweet and
> is often replaced in default by using regular Soy sauce and some molasses.

The most popular shoyu in Hawaii is Aloha Shoyu. It's a hydrolyzed
product and in fact, the process was invented by the Aloha Shoyu factory
to fulfill the need for plenty of the stuff after the war.

These days, my favorite brand is Lee Kum Kee Premium shoyu which is an
intense Chinese style shoyu. It's perfect on rice. It might be a little
too strong for some.

You're right that there's all kind of shoyu. The tastes in Hawaii
generally favor the light Japanese style shoyu. If you're looking for a
lighter shoyu I recommend ponzu, which is a citrus flavored sauce. It
goes good with fish and you can make salad dressing out of it or you can
even just use it as is on a salad. It's tasty!

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...l11ataste.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:39:00 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 13:29:36 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>

> so what is 'light' about light soy sauce?

It should have less sodium and taste less salty, but soy sauce is as
unpredictable as "lite" or "reduced sodium" bacon. Less than what (?)
is my eternal question because "lite" is often saltier than the
regular version.

> I've been a Kikkoman user just because it was good enough and
> available.
>
> But that smacked cucumber recipe called for light soy sauce, so I
> dutifully bought some.
>
> It is *not* light colored. It is *not* light on the salt. It is
> *not* light on flavor-- to me it is the balsamic vinegar of soy sauce.
>
> This is what I got-
> http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/A...p/hasgseij.htm
> [though for about 1/2 that price]
>
> Is 'supreme (grade A)' just marketing- or is there a grade B?

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? If so, look for their "reduced
sodium" soy sauce. It's the "lite" soy sauce I've been looking for
all along.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> My newest taste infatuation is tamari.

Maggi is similar enough to soy sauce to see similar uses. Very popular
in parts of Europe. Over the years the list of ingredients has changed
several times. I don't know if it's the recipe of labelling laws that
have changed. For a while it's main ingredients were soy, corn and
salt. Wheat free.

> I don't need no stinkin' wheat in my beer or my soy sauce.

At dinner today I had a rye ale. Pretty good. Heavily hopped,
fermented with an ale yeast. The only rye beer I'd had previously was
very sweet and fermented with a beer yeast. One of the microbrews from
Chicago metro Domain DuPage (DuPage is a collar county in the burbs)
variate Cane and Able.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:39:00 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 13:29:36 -0700, gtr > wrote:
>>

>> so what is 'light' about light soy sauce?

>It should have less sodium and taste less salty,

Not 'Lite' - "light". I guess it *is* supposed to refer to the
color and the viscosity. You made me test my Google skills.
http://chinesefood.about.com/library...y/aa101698.htm

But since I use a Japanese soy sauce [Kikkoman] - there is little
difference. My 'light' has 100mg more sodium than the Kikkoman per
Tbl. The color is ever-so-slightly lighter, if you hold a shot glass
up to sunlight. And although the flavor is different, I'd say the
Kikkoman is milder.

-snip-

>> I've been a Kikkoman user just because it was good enough and
>> available.

And the above page says it can be substituted for Light Soy Sauce. So
I guess I should be looking for some thick Chinese dark soy.

-snip-

>Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? If so, look for their "reduced
>sodium" soy sauce. It's the "lite" soy sauce I've been looking for
>all along.

Coming Aug 3d-- So I'll brave the crowds sometime after Labor Day.
http://www.timesunion.com/local/arti...te-3606205.php
Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 2:39*am, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 16:39:00 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 13:29:36 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> > so what is 'light' about light soy sauce?

> It should have less sodium and taste less salty, but soy sauce is as
> unpredictable as "lite" or "reduced sodium" bacon. *Less than what (?)
> is my eternal question because "lite" is often saltier than the
> regular version.
>

> > I've been a Kikkoman user just because it was good enough and
> > available.

> > But that smacked cucumber recipe called for light soy sauce, so I
> > dutifully bought some.

> > It is *not* light colored. * It is *not* light on the salt. *It is
> > *not* light on flavor-- to me it is the balsamic vinegar of soy sauce.

> > This is what I got-
> >http://www.asiansupermarket365.com/A...-Light-Soy-Sau...
> > [though for about 1/2 that price]

> > Is 'supreme (grade A)' just marketing- or is there a grade B?

> Do you have a Trader Joe's near you? *If so, look for their "reduced
> sodium" soy sauce. *It's the "lite" soy sauce I've been looking for
> all along.
>
> --
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet.

I will have to look in Trader Joes. I don't go there much; it's kinda
far away. Too far to ride a bike... I love soy sauce, but last 10 or
so years I've had problems with too much sodium. Not exactly health
issues, but my tongue gets bloated and feels odd for a few hours. I
try to stay away from sodium as much as possible. Acidic foods like
tomato and orange juice do it too, but I love tomatoes and I get low
acid oj but it's not as good. I buy the "lite" kikkoman or kroger soy
but it still has a lot of sodium in it. I think it is just watered
down regular. I will look for the Trader Joe's. I like the hommos
they sell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

somebody wrote:

> I will have to look in Trader Joes. I don't go there much; it's kinda
> far away. Too far to ride a bike... I love soy sauce, but last 10 or
> so years I've had problems with too much sodium. Not exactly health
> issues, but my tongue gets bloated and feels odd for a few hours.

That sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Be careful

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-10, Gary > wrote:

> That sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Be careful

Yep. A lotta soy sauces are made with wheat. Perhaps you're suffering
from that dreaded 21st century malady, gluten poisoning. Horrors!
RTFL.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-06-10, Gary > wrote:
>
> > That sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Be careful

> Yep. A lotta soy sauces are made with wheat. Perhaps you're suffering
> from that dreaded 21st century malady, gluten poisoning. Horrors!
> RTFL.
>
> nb

Tongue swelling and/or difficulty in swallowing or breathing are signs of a
severe allergic reaction to something. This is a 911 situation if you don't
have someone to get you to the emergency room pronto. No laughing matter.

Gary (been there, done that!) ;-o
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 08:18:03 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Bryan wrote:
> >
> > My newest taste infatuation is tamari.

> Maggi is similar enough to soy sauce to see similar uses. Very popular
> in parts of Europe. Over the years the list of ingredients has changed
> several times. I don't know if it's the recipe of labelling laws that
> have changed. For a while it's main ingredients were soy, corn and
> salt. Wheat free.

Maggi is another one that I have no use for. A Danish friend
introduced it to me eons ago and I think I still have the original
bottle, barely used. I much prefer L&P Worcestershire sauce for my
American/European cooking needs and real Chinese soy for my
Asian/Pacific Islander cooking needs. I never make Japanese food, so
that doesn't enter into the issue.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 08:18:20 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> And the above page says it can be substituted for Light Soy Sauce. So
> I guess I should be looking for some thick Chinese dark soy.

There's thick Chinese soy and there's dark soy, which is slightly
thicker (more viscous) than regular soy. I've never tried thick, but
I always have dark on hand and I like it. It's not too salty and you
need just a little to get good color. I don't make a point to keep
light soy on hand, but if I don't have any - I'll pick it up when I
replenish the dark. Light soy is like regular soy sauce to me. It's
slightly thinner (less viscous) than regular soy, but tastes the same
and acts the same, IMO.

http://chinesefood.about.com/od/food...-Soy-Sauce.htm

BTW: mushroom soy is as disappointing as mushroom ketchup. Very salty
tasting with no mushroom flavor to be found. Don't waste your money
on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 06:43:17 -0700 (PDT), somebody
> wrote:

> I will have to look in Trader Joes. I don't go there much; it's kinda
> far away. Too far to ride a bike... I love soy sauce, but last 10 or
> so years I've had problems with too much sodium. Not exactly health
> issues, but my tongue gets bloated and feels odd for a few hours.

Oh, ick. That's awful! I'd call it a health issue, maybe not life or
death, but "health" all the same if your tongue swells.

> I try to stay away from sodium as much as possible. Acidic foods like
> tomato and orange juice do it too, but I love tomatoes and I get low
> acid oj but it's not as good.

I was going to ask you if you've ever had your thyroid included in
blood work, but it sounds like you might have other problems. I'd be
asking a Dr. about it just because it's gone on that long.

> I buy the "lite" kikkoman or kroger soy
> but it still has a lot of sodium in it. I think it is just watered
> down regular. I will look for the Trader Joe's.

Here are the nutrition facts for the Trader Joe's product. Sounds
like it would be worth your time to compare them to the Kikkoman and
Kroger products before you expend any effort to get to Trader Joe's.
http://www.livestrong.com/thedailypl...ium-soy-sauce/

> I like the hommos they sell.

Have you ever tried making your own? It's ridiculously easy to do and
tastes great. That said, I still buy commercial too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

somebody > wrote:

>I will have to look in Trader Joes. I don't go there much; it's kinda
>far away. Too far to ride a bike... I love soy sauce, but last 10 or
>so years I've had problems with too much sodium.

I recommend San-J Low Sodium Organic Tamari. It is also wheat-free.

(But look at the bottle carefully if that's a concern, the San-J
low sodium non-organic tamari has wheat in it.)

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 08:10:14 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>My newest taste infatuation is tamari. I don't need no stinkin' wheat
>in my beer or my soy sauce.
>http://www.amazon.com/San-J-Reduced-.../dp/B0004M1J54
>
>--Bryan

Oh gawd! Here's another thing for Bryan to obsess over!! Wheat in the
soy sauce!! Oh the humanity!! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 10, 12:51*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 08:10:14 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>
> > wrote:
> >My newest taste infatuation is tamari. *I don't need no stinkin' wheat
> >in my beer or my soy sauce.
> >http://www.amazon.com/San-J-Reduced-.../dp/B0004M1J54

> >--Bryan

> Oh gawd! Here's another thing for Bryan to obsess over!! Wheat in the
> soy sauce!! Oh the humanity!! ;-)

The taste of wheat in soy sauce is kind of similar to the taste of
wheat in beer.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:47:30 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On Jun 10, 12:51*pm, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Jun 2012 08:10:14 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
>>
>> > wrote:
>> >My newest taste infatuation is tamari. *I don't need no stinkin' wheat
>> >in my beer or my soy sauce.
>> >http://www.amazon.com/San-J-Reduced-.../dp/B0004M1J54

>> >--Bryan

>> Oh gawd! Here's another thing for Bryan to obsess over!! Wheat in the
>> soy sauce!! Oh the humanity!! ;-)

>The taste of wheat in soy sauce is kind of similar to the taste of
>wheat in beer.

Obsessing! Icky! Wheat in beer or soy! You make it sould like the end
of the world.

John Kuthe...