Default The Muffin Thread

I'll never make muffins from scratch again !

I've discovered these boxes of muffin mix
at my grocers. Costing from a quarter to forty-nine cents,
they make a dozen ( pretty good ) muffins
The assortment is good, the convenience is great.
I keep a dozen assorted flavors in my pantry.

House-guests are always impressed
with fresh-baked muffins for brekkies.

Open box, add water, an egg or two, and bake.
Of course you've gotta dust yourself with flour
before announcing :"Muffins are ready".

And now a question of technique;
I still have a heck of a time getting the mix
from the bowl to the muffin tin.
I manage to drop muffin glop everywhere.
( I use a tablespoon )

At times, I'm tempted to pour it ino an 8 X 8 pan,
and call it muffin bread.....

<rj>
Shirley Hicks

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:07:03 -0700, "<RJ>" >
wrote:

>I'll never make muffins from scratch again !
>
>I've discovered these boxes of muffin mix
>at my grocers. Costing from a quarter to forty-nine cents,
>they make a dozen ( pretty good ) muffins
>The assortment is good, the convenience is great.
>I keep a dozen assorted flavors in my pantry.
>
>House-guests are always impressed
>with fresh-baked muffins for brekkies.

That's great if it works for you.

Myself, I'll continue to make from scratch so I can make no fat, low
GI versions for myself (doing weight watchers) by substituting
applesauce for butter or oil in the fruit muffins, and using whole
wheat flour with a little xanthan gum instead of enriched or white
flour. I also play around with adapting recipes for my gluten
intolerant mom who also can't eat dairy. I've developed some pretty
good rice/quinoa based recipes, again using xanthan gum as binder to
replace the gluten.

>Open box, add water, an egg or two, and bake.
>Of course you've gotta dust yourself with flour
>before announcing :"Muffins are ready".
>
>And now a question of technique;
>I still have a heck of a time getting the mix
>from the bowl to the muffin tin.
>I manage to drop muffin glop everywhere.
>( I use a tablespoon )
>
>At times, I'm tempted to pour it ino an 8 X 8 pan,
>and call it muffin bread.....

The only difference between a muffin and quick bread is the shape,
size and cooking time, 20 minutes for muffins, 40 minutes for a loaf
pan.

I switch back and forth all the time.

Shirley Hicks
Toronto, Ontario
TB

"A liberal is a conservative who's been through treatment."
- Garrison Keillor
PENMART01

>" RJ " writes:
>
>I'll never make muffins from scratch again !
>
>I've discovered these boxes of muffin mix
>at my grocers. Costing from a quarter to forty-nine cents,
>they make a dozen ( pretty good ) muffins
>The assortment is good, the convenience is great.
>I keep a dozen assorted flavors in my pantry.
>
>House-guests are always impressed
>with fresh-baked muffins for brekkies.
>
>Open box, add water, an egg or two, and bake.
>Of course you've gotta dust yourself with flour
>before announcing :"Muffins are ready".
>
>And now a question of technique;
>I still have a heck of a time getting the mix
>from the bowl to the muffin tin.
>I manage to drop muffin glop everywhere.
>( I use a tablespoon )

Professional bakers use their hand, scoop up muffin batter with open hand from
along the side of the bowl and then squeeze into muffin tin... by the sixth
muffin you will be an expert at meting out muffin batter with preciseness for
both quantity and repeatability... by the third muffin tin you will be cabable
of hand scooping muffins with lightening fast speed. If you ever find a spoon,
any kind of spoon, in the hand of someone purporting to be a baker, and for any
reason whatsoever, they're not. Real baker's spoons are located at the end of
their arms.

Btw, there's nothing wrong with muffin mix, real bakers use it all the time,
but nothing says you can't use it as a base and gussie it up a bit... bran
muffin mix lovingly accepts mashed banana and diced dates.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
zxcvbob

Dave Smith wrote:

> My mother used to use a bran muffin recipe that made a considerable amount of
> batter that would keep in the fridge for a few weeks and she would make a half
> dozen muffins at a time from her stash.

Refrigerator Muffins

5 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups wheat bran or 100% bran cereal
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. salt
2 cups brown sugar (I like dark brown)
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup salad oil
1 quart buttermilk

Combine dry ingredients in mixing bowl. Add eggs, oil, and buttermilk
and mix until blended. May be stored in covered container in
refrigerator for as long as 4 weeks. Bake as needed in lightly greased
muffin cups filled two-thirds full. Bake in 400°F oven for 20 minutes.
Makes 3 1/2 dozen.

Best regards,
Bob
sf

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 09:07:03 -0700, "<RJ>"
> wrote:

> And now a question of technique;
> I still have a heck of a time getting the mix
> from the bowl to the muffin tin.
> I manage to drop muffin glop everywhere.
> ( I use a tablespoon )

I use a small ladle or you can mix it in a measuring cup and
pour from that.

sf
pennyaline

"sf" wrote:
> "<RJ>" wrote:
>
> > And now a question of technique;
> > I still have a heck of a time getting the mix
> > from the bowl to the muffin tin.
> > I manage to drop muffin glop everywhere.
> > ( I use a tablespoon )

> I use a small ladle or you can mix it in a measuring cup and
> pour from that.

Muffin batter could be kind of heavy to pour out from a large measuring cup.
Try using a disher, an ice cream scoop. A #20 disher fills up muffin and cup
cake forms just right.

Silvasurfa

"<RJ>" > wrote in message >. ..

snip

> And now a question of technique;
> I still have a heck of a time getting the mix
> from the bowl to the muffin tin.
> I manage to drop muffin glop everywhere.
> ( I use a tablespoon )
>
> At times, I'm tempted to pour it ino an 8 X 8 pan,
> and call it muffin bread.....

I use 2 spoons, one loaded with the goop and one to push it into
gently and neatly into the tin. Works for me, no mess no fuss.

Jenny

Doesn't it concern you though what is in the pre-made packs? At least
if you make then yourself you know that you have used fresh
ingredients and you know exactly what has gone into them.
Victor Sack

Carmen Bartels > wrote:

> Dr. Oetker makes muffin mixes?
> Heck, why haven't I seen them here? :-(

See
<http://www.dr-oetker.de/80256881006AD98C/ContentByKey/ASCR-4H9CKJ-DE-p>

Victor
PENMART01

>(Silvasurfa) writes:
>
>>"<RJ>"> wrote:
>>
>>And now a question of technique;

I still have a heck of a time getting the mix
>>from the bowl to the muffin tin.

>I use 2 spoons, one loaded with the goop and one to push it

What faggoty wimps... ascared to touch muffin batter... use yer hands. Sheesh!

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Gregory Morrow

PENMART01 wrote:

> >(Silvasurfa) writes:
> >
> >>"<RJ>"> wrote:
> >>
> >>And now a question of technique;

> I still have a heck of a time getting the mix
> >>from the bowl to the muffin tin.

> >I use 2 spoons, one loaded with the goop and one to push it

> What faggoty wimps... ascared to touch muffin batter... use yer hands.

Sheesh!

*lol* And if they are really all that squeemish I 'spose they could don
latex gloves and lube themselves up with K - Y jelly (any oil would
natcherly destroy the latex) so as to handle that batter...

--
Best
Greg