Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Ever hear of an restaurant charging for a to go order?

Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
ever charging extra for a to go order.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

somebody > wrote:
> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
> makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
> ever charging extra for a to go order.

Cost of packaging, loss of drink money, time servers spent packaging, loss
of tip money, which owners might have to make up.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"somebody" > wrote in message
> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
> makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
> ever charging extra for a to go order.

Yes. There are some Mexican places here that charge extra for To Go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 20:27:34 -0700 (PDT), somebody
> wrote:

>Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
>walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
>print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
>Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
>makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
>ever charging extra for a to go order.

Never heard of it. Probably will cost them more in lost business.

Sure, they have to put it in containers, but if you dine in, they have
to clear the table and wash the dishes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 10:11*pm, Zombie Hampster > wrote:
> WHY would you think a takeout order should be cheaper?
>
> They DO provide a bag, and miss out on a possible tip.

I've never been charged anything but tax on a take-out order, and I
often tip just as well for them ignoring the common percentage rule as
I do for their sit-down inside service.
....Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"somebody" > wrote in message
> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
> makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
> ever charging extra for a to go order.

Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
Every penny counts.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Zombie Hampster" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 20:27:34 -0700 (PDT), somebody
> > wrote:
>
>>Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
>>walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
>>print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
>>Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
>>makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
>>ever charging extra for a to go order.

> WHY would you think a takeout order should be cheaper?
>
> They DO provide a bag, and miss out on a possible tip.

Also, beverages are a HUGE profit center for restaurants. Take outs don't
include driks typically. The 50 cents barely touches the loss of the drink
revenue.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
wrote:

>Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
>Every penny counts.
>
>Paul

If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
for free. It is not an issue. With a take out order, they don't have
to bus your table and wash the dishes.

If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
should not be in business in the first place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 11:27*pm, somebody > wrote:

> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> walking distance. *But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> Why? *If anything, they should be cheaper. *It's only 50 cents, but it
> makes me like the place less. *I don't remember any other restaurant
> ever charging extra for a to go order.

I read the first response you got and was thinking the same
thing but wasn't sure. I'm sure they have a reason for it, it's not
like they're going to nickel and dime their way to success. What's 50
cents anyway?

Now you may not believe this, but I saw this thread title when
9 people had already posted into it. I came in and read the first
post - yours - without looking at the name - just reading the post
because I found the title interesting. As I was reading I thought,
"God, this guy is worse than Somebody." Swear to God I thought that,
but had not yet seen your name. When finally I did see it I was
certainly not surprised to see it was you complaining once again -
from the $10 water hose through a barrage of other mind-twisting
challenges to your sanity all the way up to the 50 cent take-out fee
at the mexican restaurant.

I've been on food stamps a number of times so I'm not about to
laugh at economy minded people - but 50 cents, come on. Hell, I tip
even when I get take out. Nothing huge, just the change, maybe a
little more if the change is not enough. But I think it's funny that
I thought of you when reading your post even though I didn't see your
name, just your complaint in unmistakeably whiny Somebody fashion.
Well done.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 8:00*am, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
> for free. It is not an issue. *With a take out order, they don't have
> to bus your table and wash the dishes.
>
> If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
> should not be in business in the first place.

The people serving that take-out food might not like working
that spot because there is probably no tipping allowed. I wonder if
that has something to do with it. Even in tough times it's probably
not that easy getting and keeping people to sling food for 9 straight
hours at minimum wage with no tips allowed. I hate sticking up for
people when I don't have a good known reason for doing so, but in this
case I'm going to err on the side of good faith and assume that they
charge the 50 cents for a reason, maybe even a good one.

TJ (but I don't know - I just DON'T KNOW

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-03, Paul M. Cook > wrote:

> Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
> Every penny counts.

Unfortunately, true. I see it happening all over. No longer napkins
or a glass of water provided, unless requested. Many mini-marts and
liquor stores no longer provide bags, unless asked. They jes leave
the purchase on the counter and look stupid, like I'm gonna stuff it
all in my pockets. As for take out, I have zero need for an costly
insulated foam thermal container. A simple bag will do. I mean, if I
can't eat it now, I'm damn sure not gonna need it warm to consume 5
mins from now.

I agree with Ed. If you can't afford the basic amenities, you
shouldn't be in business. There's going too far to meet a specific
price point. Four or five yrs ago, our sole Chinese resto served a
great lunch fer $8-9 for almost every choice. Went last week and it
had slipped badly. Same price point, but smaller portions, no water,
no tea, cold frozen egg-roll, conspicuously large pile of rice. Even
the sauce was bogus, with no corn starch thickener. Jes straight oil
+ soy. I'd rather pay more and get good food than get a good deal and
eat crap. Never again.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/3/2012 8:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. >
> wrote:
>

>> Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
>> Every penny counts.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
> for free. It is not an issue. With a take out order, they don't have
> to bus your table and wash the dishes.
>
> If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
> should not be in business in the first place.

Not really. It is simply a business model. I have seen the take out fee
at a number places where the price and value was already very good. So
just like the less expensive airlines they charge extra for the "free"
stuff you get at the more expensive places.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

> >Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
> >Every penny counts.
> >
> >Paul
> >

> If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
> for free. It is not an issue. With a take out order, they don't have
> to bus your table and wash the dishes.
>
> If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
> should not be in business in the first place.

I agree. An extra charge for takeout is "penny pitching" imo. In Virginia,
there is a difference in tax charges for takeout or eat in but that should
be the only difference.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 11:27*pm, somebody > wrote:
> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> walking distance. *But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> Why? *If anything, they should be cheaper. *It's only 50 cents, but it
> makes me like the place less. *I don't remember any other restaurant
> ever charging extra for a to go order.

Maybe restaurants should petition guvmint so that they can sell
alcohol along with a meal to go. I don't know if the consumer would
'buy' it though. If they're going to eat at home, and they got a
decent bar, why would they bite at that tadpole?
Nothing wrong with a Pina Colada in a paper cup. They could price
accordingly. Paper cup = reduced price??? Or they could stick to
bottled drinks such as wine and beer. ???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 04:23:57 +0000 (UTC), gregz >
wrote:

>somebody > wrote:
>> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
>> walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
>> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
>> Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
>> makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
>> ever charging extra for a to go order.

>Cost of packaging, loss of drink money, time servers spent packaging, loss
>of tip money, which owners might have to make up.
>
>Greg

Yeah, as if there's no profit on that cheapo over priced Tex-Mex
food... why do you think Chinese take outs are everywhere... low
overhead... twice the profit of a sit down resto. A guy with a hotdog
pushcart in NYC can draw a bigger salary than the owner of a fancy
schmancy steak house. Hotdogs are a cash business and no payroll.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"somebody" > wrote in message
>> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
>> walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
>> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
>> Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
>> makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
>> ever charging extra for a to go order.

>Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
>Every penny counts.

Nonsense, containers cost much less than dishes... there's breakage
and dishes need to be washed, dried, and put away, energy and labor is
costly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> wrote:
>

>>Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
>>Every penny counts.
>>
>>Paul
>>

> If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
> for free. It is not an issue. With a take out order, they don't have
> to bus your table and wash the dishes.
>
> If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
> should not be in business in the first place.

The owner could just be a tight fisted *******. I worked for one once
tending bar. After a long period of frantic orders I poured myself a glass
of cold water from the dispenser, not the sink. The owner shouted across
the restaurant "that'll be twenty cents." Sure enough, he deducted 20 cents
on my next paycheck.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 2:19*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:

> >>Those containers cost money. *Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
> >>Every penny counts.

> >>Paul

> > If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
> > for free. It is not an issue. *With a take out order, they don't have
> > to bus your table and wash the dishes.

> > If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
> > should not be in business in the first place.

> The owner could just be a tight fisted *******. *I worked for one once
> tending bar. *After a long period of frantic orders I poured myself a glass
> of cold water from the dispenser, not the sink. *The owner shouted across
> the restaurant "that'll be twenty cents." *Sure enough, he deducted 20 cents
> on my next paycheck.
>
> Paul

The first restaurant I worked at when I was going to high school. We
busboys could drink all the pop we wanted. Milk we had to pay for,
but you could always get a glass once a week or so as long as you were
not obvious. I remember their staff price for a hamburger: 25 Can
Cents. And they were really good and filling. Sirloin steak
trimmings, done over charcoal and topped with their wonderful sauce.
Excellent French Onion soup as well, although I forget the price.
Salads wow. They didn't make their own dressings; this was back in
about 1970. Their 1000 Island dressing was really different and
wonderful. So was their French, and Roqufort. They bought their
dressings from someplace in Quebec. Yummy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"A Moose in Love" > wrote in message
On Jun 3, 2:19 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:

> >>Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
> >>Every penny counts.

> >>Paul

> > If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
> > for free. It is not an issue. With a take out order, they don't have
> > to bus your table and wash the dishes.

> > If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
> > should not be in business in the first place.

> The owner could just be a tight fisted *******. I worked for one once
> tending bar. After a long period of frantic orders I poured myself a glass
> of cold water from the dispenser, not the sink. The owner shouted across
> the restaurant "that'll be twenty cents." Sure enough, he deducted 20
> cents
> on my next paycheck.
>
> Paul

The first restaurant I worked at when I was going to high school. We
busboys could drink all the pop we wanted. Milk we had to pay for,
but you could always get a glass once a week or so as long as you were
not obvious. I remember their staff price for a hamburger: 25 Can
Cents. And they were really good and filling. Sirloin steak
trimmings, done over charcoal and topped with their wonderful sauce.
Excellent French Onion soup as well, although I forget the price.
Salads wow. They didn't make their own dressings; this was back in
about 1970. Their 1000 Island dressing was really different and
wonderful. So was their French, and Roqufort. They bought their
dressings from someplace in Quebec. Yummy.

Same guy - we got food for half price until one day he figured out if we
paid half we should get half the portion. He was a pistol that one.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:
>Paul M. Cook wrote:
>
>> Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
>> Every penny counts.

Restos don't operate on nearly so thin margins as some believe...
their lowest cost item is food so there are huge profit margins...
Chinese restos charge like $7 for a quart of fly lice, costs less than
70¢... their dishes are on like 500%-1,000% mark up. Most restos fail
due to poor management, theft, and owner's addictions.

>Unfortunately, true. I see it happening all over. No longer napkins
>or a glass of water provided, unless requested. Many mini-marts and
>liquor stores no longer provide bags, unless asked. They jes leave
>the purchase on the counter and look stupid, like I'm gonna stuff it
>all in my pockets. As for take out, I have zero need for an costly
>insulated foam thermal container. A simple bag will do. I mean, if I
>can't eat it now, I'm damn sure not gonna need it warm to consume 5
>mins from now.

Those paper/styrofoam containers add practically nothing to the cost
of the food, when bought in bulk they cost like 10¢ each... don't
believe search the net for <bulk chinese takeout containers>.
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/767/...FYje4Aod9RUnSQ
A fifteen cent container added to a $10 quart of chow mein doesn't
even equate... I'd like to sell a thousand such containers a day,
after all overhead I'd net like $750 a day just selling chow mein.
Chinese take outs do very well in the US because the entire family
works and they live pretty much the same as they did in China... often
2-3 families live in the store, they sleep in the back on pallets,
they don't pay for separate living quarters. I remember as a kid in
Brooklyn there was a Chinese hand laundry a half block away, about ten
of them worked hard and lived in the store, during warm weather they
slept in hammocks in the alley behind their tiny store, they cooked on
small charcoal stoves, and ate in the alley too so the cooking smells
wouldn't get on the laundry. Back then there were hundreds of Chinese
hand laundries just in Brooklyn alone, there were many throughout
NYC.... they seem to no longer exist.

>I agree with Ed. If you can't afford the basic amenities, you
>shouldn't be in business. There's going too far to meet a specific
>price point. Four or five yrs ago, our sole Chinese resto served a
>great lunch fer $8-9 for almost every choice. Went last week and it
>had slipped badly. Same price point, but smaller portions, no water,
>no tea, cold frozen egg-roll, conspicuously large pile of rice. Even
>the sauce was bogus, with no corn starch thickener. Jes straight oil
>+ soy. I'd rather pay more and get good food than get a good deal and
>eat crap. Never again.

Change in food quality could mean different owners... can you tell one
Chinaman from another... they all look alike to me, they all have the
same haircut too... now some of the Chinese women I can tell, the ones
with bosoms. Most Chinese women are hardly an A cup, but then their
next size is like DD and larger... they seem to skip right over Bs and
Cs. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/06/2012 4:19 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>>
>>> Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
>>> Every penny counts.

> Restos don't operate on nearly so thin margins as some believe...
> their lowest cost item is food so there are huge profit margins...
> Chinese restos charge like $7 for a quart of fly lice, costs less than
> 70¢... their dishes are on like 500%-1,000% mark up. Most restos fail
> due to poor management, theft, and owner's addictions.

Rent or mortgage, property taxes, electricity, water, gas, insurance,
labour, garbage disposal.... operating costs add up. And then there is
labour. I would hazard a guess that the cost of that bowl of rice is
even less than 70 cents... for the rice itself. Even with that markup,
you have to sell a lot of rice to pay the rent.

> Those paper/styrofoam containers add practically nothing to the cost
> of the food, when bought in bulk they cost like 10¢ each... don't
> believe search the net for<bulk chinese takeout containers>.

Even if they were 50 cents, it is still cheaper than providing seating.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 11:23*pm, gregz > wrote:
> somebody > wrote:
> > Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> > walking distance. *But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> > print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> > Why? *If anything, they should be cheaper. *It's only 50 cents, but it
> > makes me like the place less. *I don't remember any other restaurant
> > ever charging extra for a to go order.

> Cost of packaging, loss of drink money, time servers spent packaging, loss
> of tip money, which owners might have to make up.

I've seen it too, and I also assumed it was for those very reasons.

> Greg

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Jun 2012 10:38:11 -0400, George >
wrote:

>> If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
>> should not be in business in the first place.

>Not really. It is simply a business model. I have seen the take out fee
>at a number places where the price and value was already very good. So
>just like the less expensive airlines they charge extra for the "free"
>stuff you get at the more expensive places.

OK, so it enhances the revenue by 10 or 20 bucks on a good day. At
what cost? Some people won't like it as a matter of principle and
won't patronize the business.

Customers can be fickle, they can be easily annoyed. When that
happens, they take their dollars elsewhere.

Every year we used to go to Las Vegas for a technical seminar. We'd
book 6 to 8 rooms for our group for three nights. Add in dinners,
shows, etc and it is quite a bit of money. The boss got annoyed over
a fairly minor situation when he wanted a take out pastrami sandwich
and the restaurant would not do take-out. We never stayed at that
place again. Quite a few dollars went up the street the next few
years.

I've never seen that particular business model but I think it is a
poor one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 1:11*am, Zombie Hampster > wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 20:27:34 -0700 (PDT), somebody > wrote:
> >Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> >walking distance. *But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> >print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> >Why? *If anything, they should be cheaper. *It's only 50 cents, but it
> >makes me like the place less. *I don't remember any other restaurant
> >ever charging extra for a to go order.

> WHY would you think a takeout order should be cheaper?
>
> They DO provide a bag, and miss out on a possible tip.

who get the 50 cents? Seriously doubt the wait staff! And if I ate
there and then ask for my leftover to be put in a box and bag, they
don't charge. I have wondered if I should order there and then when
the order comes pretend I get a phone call and say I have to leave can
you put this in a to go container?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 8:21*am, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On Jun 2, 11:27*pm, somebody > wrote:
>
> > Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> > walking distance. *But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> > print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> > Why? *If anything, they should be cheaper. *It's only 50 cents, but it
> > makes me like the place less. *I don't remember any other restaurant
> > ever charging extra for a to go order.

> * * * * I read the first response you got and was thinking the same
> thing but wasn't sure. *I'm sure they have a reason for it, it's not
> like they're going to nickel and dime their way to success. *What's 50
> cents anyway?
>
> * * * * Now you may not believe this, but I saw this thread title when
> 9 people had already posted into it. *I came in and read the first
> post - yours - without looking at the name - just reading the post
> because I found the title interesting. *As I was reading I thought,
> "God, this guy is worse than Somebody." *Swear to God I thought that,
> but had not yet seen your name. *When finally I did see it I was
> certainly not surprised to see it was you complaining once again *-
> from the $10 water hose through a barrage of other mind-twisting
> challenges to your sanity all the way up to the 50 cent take-out fee
> at the mexican restaurant.
>
> * * * *I've been on food stamps a number of times so I'm not about to
> laugh at economy minded people - but 50 cents, come on. *Hell, I tip
> even when I get take out. *Nothing huge, just the change, maybe a
> little more if the change is not enough. *But I think it's funny that
> I thought of you when reading your post even though I didn't see your
> name, just your complaint in unmistakeably whiny Somebody fashion.
> Well done.
>
> TJ

that's sweet that you think of me!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 1:06*pm, A Moose in Love > wrote:
> On Jun 2, 11:27*pm, somebody > wrote:
>
> > Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> > walking distance. *But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> > print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> > Why? *If anything, they should be cheaper. *It's only 50 cents, but it
> > makes me like the place less. *I don't remember any other restaurant
> > ever charging extra for a to go order.

> Maybe restaurants should petition guvmint so that they can sell
> alcohol along with a meal to go. *I don't know if the consumer would
> 'buy' it though. *If they're going to eat at home, and they got a
> decent bar, why would they bite at that tadpole?
> Nothing wrong with a Pina Colada in a paper cup. *They could price
> accordingly. *Paper cup = reduced price??? *Or they could stick to
> bottled drinks such as wine and beer. *???

I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
runs". Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? Can you imagine
the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 2:19*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:

> >>Those containers cost money. *Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
> >>Every penny counts.

> >>Paul

> > If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
> > for free. It is not an issue. *With a take out order, they don't have
> > to bus your table and wash the dishes.

> > If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
> > should not be in business in the first place.

> The owner could just be a tight fisted *******. *I worked for one once
> tending bar. *After a long period of frantic orders I poured myself a glass
> of cold water from the dispenser, not the sink. *The owner shouted across
> the restaurant "that'll be twenty cents." *Sure enough, he deducted 20 cents
> on my next paycheck.
>
> Paul

I hope you didn't work there long!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 1:59*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> *Hotdogs are a cash business and no payroll.

I'll take the pay without the roll, thank you.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 10:49*pm, somebody > wrote:

> I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
> Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
> runs". *Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? *Can you imagine
> the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

I told you before I worked on and off for years delivering for a
liquor store in Hollywood Ca. Now of course where you're at, who
knows, all states are different - even some counties and
municipalities. But enough of that legal bullshit, the reality is
that anything can be delivered, including corpses. In a way, the
funeral parlor runs a delivery business too. But you can use your own
car to deliver anything, even if it's not completely legal. I know an
african guy here who works a fulltime job at a large super market but
works part time delivering prescriptions to private citizens as well
as nursing homes, and it's his own account that he built. Of course
he used to work as a pharmacist, so maybe that helps. Anyway I
haven't had a car in 30 years and I aint complaining - but I do know
that a car can be used for a lot of jobs, even some that haven't been
invented yet. Of course then you have to maintain the vehicle. It's
one goddamn job after another. To hell with it.

TJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 10:49*pm, somebody > wrote:

> I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
> Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
> runs". *Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? *Can you imagine
> the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

I am no hustler which doesn't mean I don't know how it can be
done. This is the cellphone age. I know you're in a hurry out there,
but if you have reliable regular customers, you can always contact
them and ask them if they need anything along the way as long as it
doesn't screw you up big time. I have made many beer runs for
customers. It's just another ride except it doesn't talk. When I
worked for the company here they had an account with an eye bank, and
every so often I'd get sent there to get a box all wrapped up with
eyes on ice to be taken to the Peidmont International Triad airport to
be shipped to who knows where. It was like driving a hearse, only
less creepy, because there was always this feeling that the eyes on
their own were not enough to overtake me, whereas a whole body, even
encased in a box, might have what it takes to break free and wring my
neck from behind as I lose control of the wheel and veer through a red
light, slamming into and killing a local pizza delivery boy who is
late for an order and so stressed out he couldn't see me coming.

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 03/06/2012 10:49 PM, somebody wrote:

> I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
> Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
> runs". Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? Can you imagine
> the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

It's called bootlegging. Liquor sales are usually heavily regulated and
the rules change from one country, state, province, city to another.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 19:49:23 -0700 (PDT), somebody
> wrote:

>I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
>Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
>runs". Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? Can you imagine
>the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

Antiquated laws. Used to be, you could get beer delivered by the case
in PA, but only during certain business hours.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"somebody" > wrote in message
On Jun 3, 2:19 pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> > On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. Cook" >
> > wrote:

> >>Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
> >>Every penny counts.

> >>Paul

> > If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
> > for free. It is not an issue. With a take out order, they don't have
> > to bus your table and wash the dishes.

> > If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
> > should not be in business in the first place.

> The owner could just be a tight fisted *******. I worked for one once
> tending bar. After a long period of frantic orders I poured myself a glass
> of cold water from the dispenser, not the sink. The owner shouted across
> the restaurant "that'll be twenty cents." Sure enough, he deducted 20
> cents
> on my next paycheck.
>
> Paul

I hope you didn't work there long!

Three months. Awful job that was. You could not et the smell of beer and
cigarette ashes out of your clothes.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George" > wrote in message
> On 6/3/2012 8:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 00:27:25 -0700, "Paul M. >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Those containers cost money. Restaurants operate on very thin margins.
>>> Every penny counts.
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>

>> If you dine in and have leftovers, they give you that same container
>> for free. It is not an issue. With a take out order, they don't have
>> to bus your table and wash the dishes.
>>
>> If 50¢ extra is needed to make or break profit on a $20 order, they
>> should not be in business in the first place.

> Not really. It is simply a business model. I have seen the take out fee at
> a number places where the price and value was already very good. So just
> like the less expensive airlines they charge extra for the "free" stuff
> you get at the more expensive places.

I got takeout at a Mexican place where we dine weekly after my dad had his
stroke and wasn't up to getting out of the house yet. I was amazed at how
it was packaged! It was put in foil pans so it stayed nice and hot and
could be reheated if needed. That is not what they give you there for doggy
bags. For those they give you a Styrofoam container.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

somebody wrote:
> On Jun 3, 1:06 pm, A Moose in Love > wrote:
>> On Jun 2, 11:27 pm, somebody > wrote:
>>
>>> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
>>> walking distance. But when I looked at the menu online, in small
>>> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
>>> Why? If anything, they should be cheaper. It's only 50 cents, but it
>>> makes me like the place less. I don't remember any other restaurant
>>> ever charging extra for a to go order.

>> Maybe restaurants should petition guvmint so that they can sell
>> alcohol along with a meal to go. I don't know if the consumer would
>> 'buy' it though. If they're going to eat at home, and they got a
>> decent bar, why would they bite at that tadpole?
>> Nothing wrong with a Pina Colada in a paper cup. They could price
>> accordingly. Paper cup = reduced price??? Or they could stick to
>> bottled drinks such as wine and beer. ???

> I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
> Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
> runs". Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? Can you imagine
> the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

Some places do deliver liquor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 8:05*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On Jun 3, 10:49*pm, somebody > wrote:
>
> > I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
> > Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
> > runs". *Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? *Can you imagine
> > the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

> * * I am no hustler which doesn't mean I don't know how it can be
> done. *This is the cellphone age. *I know you're in a hurry out there,
> but if you have reliable regular customers, you can always contact
> them and ask them if they need anything along the way as long as it
> doesn't screw you up big time. *I have made many beer runs for
> customers. *It's just another ride except it doesn't talk.

When I delivered pizza, certain drivers stopped at the nearby liquor
store to pick up beer for certain good customers. But dine-in places
seldom have package sales licenses. Further, you don't want to end up
arguing with some teenagers who thought they found a way to beat the
carding system.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 2, 11:27*pm, somebody > wrote:
> Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> walking distance. *But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> Why? *If anything, they should be cheaper. *It's only 50 cents, but it
> makes me like the place less. *I don't remember any other restaurant
> ever charging extra for a to go order.

No, but I guess the containers do cost and they want to pass it on to
the real users. I DID once run into a Chinese buffet which charged
you extra if you looked like you were going to the buffet too often.
Arbitrary on their part.

I used to bring my own Rubbermaid to a certain Thai place - I could
never finish the meal and their leaky foam box I hated!! This was
back when I had no way to recycle the darm thing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 10:58*pm, Tommy Joe > wrote:
> On Jun 3, 10:49*pm, somebody > wrote:
>
> > I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
> > Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
> > runs". *Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? *Can you imagine
> > the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

> * * I told you before I worked on and off for years delivering for a
> liquor store in Hollywood Ca. *Now of course where you're at, who
> knows, all states are different - even some counties and
> municipalities. *But enough of that legal bullshit, the reality is
> that anything can be delivered, including corpses. *In a way, the
> funeral parlor runs a delivery business too. *But you can use your own
> car to deliver anything, even if it's not completely legal. *I know an
> african guy here who works a fulltime job at a large super market but
> works part time delivering prescriptions to private citizens as well
> as nursing homes, and it's his own account that he built. *Of course
> he used to work as a pharmacist, so maybe that helps. *Anyway I
> haven't had a car in 30 years and I aint complaining - but I do know
> that a car can be used for a lot of jobs, even some that haven't been
> invented yet. *Of course then you have to maintain the vehicle. *It's
> one goddamn job after another. *To hell with it.
>
> TJ

Cute story: knew a man who delivered for a package store. Got to one
house, knocked on door, voice answered, "Who is it?"
"It's the liquor man."
Again : "Who is it?"
"IT'S THE LIQUOR MAN!"
"Who is it?"
(screaming ) " T H E L I Q U O R M A A A A A A N!!"

Woman shows up at door - "Oh, that was just my mynah bird"

He evidently made good money - huge tips as Xmas, got to know the
upper crust who made no bones about how much they drank. Had a daily
run of a fifth to one house.........why she didn't just order a
case.....maybe she liked seeing him, the lonely soul. He enjoyed it
more than the counter clerking he also had to.
do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/4/2012 7:59 AM, Kalmia wrote:

> Cute story: knew a man who delivered for a package store. Got to one
> house, knocked on door, voice answered, "Who is it?"
> "It's the liquor man."
> Again : "Who is it?"
> "IT'S THE LIQUOR MAN!"
> "Who is it?"
> (screaming ) " T H E L I Q U O R M A A A A A A N!!"
>
> Woman shows up at door - "Oh, that was just my mynah bird"

That's funny! Once I said hello back to a clerk in a pet
store. Hello! she said again. Hi. Repeat. She's not even
looking up. Hello already. Heh. That's when I noticed the
cockatoo trying to get my attention with its soft hellos.

> He evidently made good money - huge tips as Xmas, got to know the
> upper crust who made no bones about how much they drank. Had a daily
> run of a fifth to one house.........why she didn't just order a
> case.....maybe she liked seeing him, the lonely soul. He enjoyed it
> more than the counter clerking he also had to.

She probably found if she ordered a case, it would go a lot
faster than a bottle a day.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 3, 10:49*pm, somebody > wrote:
> On Jun 3, 1:06*pm, A Moose in Love > wrote:
>

> > On Jun 2, 11:27*pm, somebody > wrote:

> > > Was all excited about a mexican restaurant opening near me, within
> > > walking distance. *But when I looked at the menu online, in small
> > > print there is a note that carryout orders cost an extra 50 cents.
> > > Why? *If anything, they should be cheaper. *It's only 50 cents, but it
> > > makes me like the place less. *I don't remember any other restaurant
> > > ever charging extra for a to go order.

> > Maybe restaurants should petition guvmint so that they can sell
> > alcohol along with a meal to go. *I don't know if the consumer would
> > 'buy' it though. *If they're going to eat at home, and they got a
> > decent bar, why would they bite at that tadpole?
> > Nothing wrong with a Pina Colada in a paper cup. *They could price
> > accordingly. *Paper cup = reduced price??? *Or they could stick to
> > bottled drinks such as wine and beer. *???

> I've never understood why there aren't delivery liquor businesses.
> Seems like it would keep drunk people at parties etc from making "beer
> runs". *Why aren't there liquor delivery businesses? *Can you imagine
> the money you would make if you could deliver hot pizza and cold beer?

Actually we have liquor delivery businesses here(Kitchener, Ont.)
They aren't very common though. There are also people doing it under
the table. Although no restaurants that I know of deliver alcohol.