Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

Default Chicago dog

Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And a
couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it or
not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.

Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.

Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2012060109170082376-xxx@yyyzzz...
> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And a
> couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it or
> not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>
> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>
> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

Just how big is this 'bun'??

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-01, gtr > wrote:

> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.

The thing I've noticed about places claiming to serve Chi-dogs is them
pushing caseless franks off on the customer and lying their asses off
about it. At least 3 places I've patronized (once!) using ViennaBeef
products are serving caseless dogs and the last one, the owner telling
me straightfaced, Chi-dogs have always been caseless.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-01 16:35:46 +0000, Ophelia said:

> "gtr" > wrote in message news:2012060109170082376-xxx@yyyzzz...
>> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
>> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And a
>> couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it or
>> not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>>
>> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
>> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>>
>> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

> Just how big is this 'bun'??

Can't say for sure--maybe 8 inches.

The FRIES--are the fries someting that is done in a official Chicago dog?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2012060109493883933-xxx@yyyzzz...
> On 2012-06-01 16:35:46 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
>> "gtr" > wrote in message
>>> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
>>> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And a
>>> couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it or
>>> not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>>>
>>> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
>>> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>>>
>>> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

>> Just how big is this 'bun'??

> Can't say for sure--maybe 8 inches.

So, can you such a thing containing all that by yourself??

> The FRIES--are the fries someting that is done in a official Chicago dog?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 1, 9:49*am, gtr > wrote:
> On 2012-06-01 16:35:46 +0000, Ophelia said:
>
> > "gtr" > wrote in messagenews:2012060109170082376-xxx@yyyzzz...
> >> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
> >> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And a
> >> couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it or
> >> not, but that's my preference. *Poppy seed bun.

> >> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. *But a curiousity: they had thrown
> >> five or six french fries on the bun. *That I'd never seen before.

> >> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

> > Just how big is this 'bun'??

> Can't say for sure--maybe 8 inches.
>
> The FRIES--are the fries someting that is done in a official Chicago dog?

No.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-06-01, gtr > wrote:

> The FRIES--are the fries someting that is done in a official Chicago dog?

No. Not that I've ever run across. OTOH, I'm sure someone somewhere
does it jes to get an edge.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And
> a couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it
> or not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>
> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>
> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

All I know is: no ketchup, and they add a little celery salt on the south
side. And I think they always use beef hot dogs. I've tried to make Chicago
dogs with pork dogs. They were terrible. You really need beef to stand up to
all the veggies in the dog.

Once I got one in Boulder that had jalapenos.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> gtr > wrote:
>
>> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
>> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices.
>> And a couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was
>> on it or not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>>
>> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
>> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>>
>> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

> gtr,
>
> I had a "Taste of Chicago" delivered.
>
> It came with a "put it together yourself" version of a Chicago hot
> dog. so I can't really tell what one is.
>
> The one time I came to Chicago, 1985, was great fun, I remember!!!
>
> Wind was free!!!
>
> Andy

Very windy. I was there when they had some tornados in Indiana. I was out on
the Navy Pier and there was a fountain that shot water in the air. As soon
as the water was in the air, the wind blew it (slammed it) to the ground.

And once I was downtown, and there was a huge wind gust, and all these
leaves blew all over the place like a grenade went off.

It gets very cold in Chicago. It's no wonder they wear trenchcoats.

W. Pooh (AKA Winnie P.)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-01 18:32:23 +0000, Andy said:

> I had a "Taste of Chicago" delivered.
>
> It came with a "put it together yourself" version of a Chicago hot dog.
> so I can't really tell what one is.
>
> The one time I came to Chicago, 1985, was great fun, I remember!!!
>
> Wind was free!!!

I handled a database for Wrigley for many years, so I went to Chicago
three or four times to do trainings and such right there in the
hallowed building. Spent the better part of a week there on 2 occasions
staying practically just the street.

And what was I doing with my spare time? Running down Japanese
resaturants and sushi joints in the area. That was my focus at the
time. I'm irked that I didn't rent a car and head for the hinterlands
where I could have stuffed my gullet with unique and traditional
eastern-European grub.

You live, you learn...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-01 18:38:24 +0000, Christopher M. said:

> gtr wrote:
>> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
>> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And
>> a couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it
>> or not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>>
>> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
>> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>>
>> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

> All I know is: no ketchup, and they add a little celery salt on the south side.

Is that the left side or the right side of the dog as you're facing it?

> And I think they always use beef hot dogs. I've tried to make Chicago
> dogs with pork dogs. They were terrible. You really need beef to stand
> up to all the veggies in the dog.
>
> Once I got one in Boulder that had jalapenos.

The most obvious, and consistent, faux pas, is most folks don't use
sport peppers. They use gueritos, or other kinds of peppers--hell I
don't know what they use anymore. In Dallas in the 80's I only once ate
a Chicago dog with a sport pepper. I'd never seen one before. I said
"What the hell is this?" and he said "authenticity!".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/1/2012 12:16 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2012-06-01, > wrote:
>
>> The FRIES--are the fries someting that is done in a official Chicago dog?

> No. Not that I've ever run across. OTOH, I'm sure someone somewhere
> does it jes to get an edge.
>
> nb

Italian Hot Dogs, like one gets in New Jersey, have fried peppers and
onions and fried potatoes on top. They are served in a half-round of
pocket bread, not a bun. I am getting agida just thinking about one. :-)

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:
> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And
> a couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it
> or not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>
> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>
> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

Some...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gene_%26_Jude%27s
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 1 Jun 2012 09:17:00 -0700, gtr > wrote:

> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And a
> couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it or
> not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>
> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown
> five or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>
> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

No idea, but it sounds like a Chicago Butty.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"gtr" > wrote in message news:2012060109170082376-xxx@yyyzzz...
> Having never eaten one in Chicago, I still love a real chicago dog:
> pickle, onions, super green looking pickle relish, tomato slices. And a
> couple of sport peppers. I don't know whether celery salt was on it or
> not, but that's my preference. Poppy seed bun.
>
> Yesterday I got a pretty good one. But a curiousity: they had thrown five
> or six french fries on the bun. That I'd never seen before.
>
> Is that the way somebody does it in Chicago?

I don't know about hot dogs, but I do know they put french fries on
sandwitches in Philadelphia, PA.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I don't know about hot dogs, but I do know they put french fries on
> sandwitches in Philadelphia, PA.

Only if you order a sandwitch. Regular sandwiches come without fries.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-03 18:03:03 +0000, Andy said:

> Primanti Bros. In Pittsburgh is famous for starting that craze.

It's a craze? French fries in a sandwich?

> No matter what sandwiches they sell, it's mandatory it comes on Italian
> bread, French fries and cole slaw. And according to Tony, she's adored
> and famous, no "hold the..." allowed! LOL!
>
> *I've* done it in Philly after seeing it was OK'd in Pittsburgh.

No matter how you work it, I don't care for potatos in my sandiches. I
like them on the side, no matter how they're done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr > wrote:
> On 2012-06-03 18:03:03 +0000, Andy said:
>
>> Primanti Bros. In Pittsburgh is famous for starting that craze.

> It's a craze? French fries in a sandwich?
>
>> No matter what sandwiches they sell, it's mandatory it comes on Italian
>> bread, French fries and cole slaw. And according to Tony, she's adored
>> and famous, no "hold the..." allowed! LOL!
>>> *I've* done it in Philly after seeing it was OK'd in Pittsburgh.

> No matter how you work it, I don't care for potatos in my sandiches. I
> like them on the side, no matter how they're done.

I don't have a problem with fries. I don't think the current primanti bros.
Sandwich is like original. I consider the sandwich a poor one due to the
fact of the bread rapidly falls apart and or gets soggy. You end up with
fingers and or, fork to finish it. I complained to them once. A great
sandwich has to have great bread.
And I don't want a pickle on my hot dog.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-04 00:36:23 +0000, gregz said:

> And I don't want a pickle on my hot dog.

It can't be!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-04 01:57:29 +0000, Andy said:

>> No matter how you work it, I don't care for potatos in my sandiches. I
>> like them on the side, no matter how they're done.

> Sorry. I didn't invent the idea. Promanti's did!

Too bad, buster--you're taking the blame!

> So the story goes, the sandwich was created so the local trucking
> commerce passing by could one hand eat a meal and drive at the same time.
>
> It became a favorite draw!

That's fine for customers. What they do one-handed I don't even want
to think about!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-04 18:10:53 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 11:15:41 -0700, gtr wrote:
>
>> Too bad, the hotdogs mostly kick in after that.
>>
>> Remember, life is lame.

> Speaking of hot dog construction, these were for breakfast. Now I
> just have to wait for lunchtime to have 2 more. This time I'll
> remember to cook the bacon beforehand.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> Toasted Kirkland beef hot dogs with cheese, lettuce, tomato, pickle
> onion, mayo, dijon mustard, and your choice of capsicum annuum and/or
> capsicum frutescens.

There--yet another way to do a hot dog. When given a full trough of
condiments, it is always interesting to me (and for those who think
lame I suppose), what some people will use. And frankly even more
surprising what they don't choose to use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Speaking of hot dog construction, these were for breakfast. Now I
> just have to wait for lunchtime to have 2 more. This time I'll
> remember to cook the bacon beforehand.
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/

You didn't mention bacon on those. Did you add that too?

I think I would have skipped the breakfast part and ate all 4 for
lunch...then take a nap with a smile on my face.

> Toasted Kirkland beef hot dogs

Never heard of those but I'm wondering how you would compare them to OM and
Nathans? (the all beef, of course)

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Also, hot dogs are always grilled or broiled/toasted. Never boiled or
> microwaved. Somebody here brags about simmering their hot dogs for an
> hour - proof that some people do not get finickier in their old age,
> their TIAD just get worse.

Chicago style hot dogs are boiled. Part of why when I moved to Chicago
metro I ended up liking all of the local food but the dogs. I figure
the locals like them because of the toppings or something. To take a
Vienna Beef dog which is about as good as the many kosher brands and
dunk it in water to leach the flavor out of it, shudder.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-06-05 05:21:55 +0000, Sqwertz said:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2012 03:29:24 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>>
>>> Also, hot dogs are always grilled or broiled/toasted. Never boiled or
>>> microwaved. Somebody here brags about simmering their hot dogs for an
>>> hour - proof that some people do not get finickier in their old age,
>>> their TIAD just get worse.

>> Chicago style hot dogs are boiled. Part of why when I moved to Chicago
>> metro I ended up liking all of the local food but the dogs. I figure
>> the locals like them because of the toppings or something. To take a
>> Vienna Beef dog which is about as good as the many kosher brands and
>> dunk it in water to leach the flavor out of it, shudder.

> I got a really bad dog at CostCo the other day. It must have been
> floating in that "dirty water" since lunch time. This was around
> 4:30pm - just before "dinner rush". I should have taken it back.
> But it reminded me of why I hate boiled hot dogs.
>
> I like to toast or grill them until I hear that first pop-fizz and I
> the outside just starts to char. You can also toast them over the gas
> stove burner (in which case gently warming them up in the microwave
> first is OK)

Heated in water (hardly a point in boiling them per se), grilled,
broiled, toasted--it hardly matters. I loves me a vurst.

Chicago Richard Dixon General Cooking 236 11-04-2011 09:39 PM
Johns- Chicago CJMND Restaurants 1 10-02-2008 04:29 AM
Johns in Chicago CJMND Restaurants 0 09-02-2008 10:34 PM
TN: 26 hours in Chicago Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 28-11-2007 02:59 PM
Chicago tamales ...was Chicago Hot Dogs..and Polish food Jerry Ranch General Cooking 14 25-01-2004 07:30 PM