Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default So are you guilty of having (one or more of) "5 bad (restaurant)customer habits"?

<http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 8:52*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-...>

Split bills? Why should a table of hamburger eaters pay for their
friend's lobster? And why assume that the customer sending back his
glass of moldy wine is doing so to impress his girlfriend -- did you
taste it? Further, people who are out to have a good time truly do not
want to complain -- if food or service is bad they likely despair of
receiving satisfaction, especially from a server who thinks you should
just shut up and drink your moldy wine.

The other complaints I cannot relate to: we all order drinks, or none.
Misbehaving offspring are immediately Tasered to remind them to
behave. And as long as the server isn't an anus we aren't either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-24 15:52:44 +0000, ChattyCathy said:

> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>

I passed on all but item #1. When we go to a nice bar I order a
martini while my wife orders a wine menu. Then they come back with my
martini, then they usually come back for her order. In the future I'll
order the wine menu and wait patiently.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:52:44 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
> > <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>

> If you complain that a steak isn't "sirloin", then you deserve what
> you get. If you want a steak, order a real steak, not "sirloin steak"
> in the first place - you cheap assed *******s!
>
> -sw

Please explain that. This will teach me something that I evidently don't
know.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> > If you complain that a steak isn't "sirloin", then you deserve what
> > you get. If you want a steak, order a real steak, not "sirloin steak"
> > in the first place - you cheap assed *******s!

> Please explain that. This will teach me something that I evidently don't
> know.

You may get an explanation, but first you'll be chided for "trolling".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:52:44 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

><http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>

The last sentence sums it up:

"It includes all people who leave their good manners, courtesy,
cleanliness and other standards at the door – would you behave like
that in your own home? No – well then don’t do it here either."

That's an incorrect assumption, folks who behave like
arseholes in restos behave exactly the same at home... actually worse
at home, servers see patrons on their best behaviour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2012 9:52 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>

No. 2 through 4, okay. But the drinks order? I say tough titties to any
server who complains about that one. "Try and organise yourselves"?? Up
yours!! Sometimes, people just don't know what they want or change their
minds in the interim, then do what this article calls "wasting time."
It's that customer's time too, not just the server's and the other
tables' time. They are only drinks, and the server's job is to bring
them when they're ordered and not at the convenience of the rest of the
restaurant as a whole. As to No 5. Arseholes--the fictitious server in
this piece is being a tremendous asshole in a number of ways,
predominantly by complaining about how inconvenient customers are.
Perhaps waitstaff who feel this way about it should find another line of
work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2012 13:33:27 -0400, Gary wrote:
> > Please explain that. This will teach me something that I evidently don't
> > know.

> "Sirloin steak" is going to be from the bottom sirloin (because they
> didn't say "Top Sirloin"). Bottom sirloin is not fit for consumption
> as a "steak". Top sirloin, if it's good USDA choice or prime, can
> make a passable steak. But even top sirloin is the bottom of the
> barrel as far as pieces of steer that can be eaten steak style.

Thanks Steve. I wasn't trolling (as someone else suggested), I really
didn't know. I do now.

Gary :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 11:12*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On May 24, 8:52*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
> > <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-....>

> Split bills? Why should a table of hamburger eaters pay for their
> friend's lobster?

The bigger issue for me is that I typically don't like to carry much
cash. If I'm eating with friends, only one person can pay via card if
the checks aren't separate. That said, it's certainly something that
customers should make their waiter aware of before ordering. It *is*
a jerk move to expect them to split it after the fact.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> > > Please explain that. This will teach me something that I evidently don't
> > > know.

> > "Sirloin steak" is going to be from the bottom sirloin (because they
> > didn't say "Top Sirloin"). Bottom sirloin is not fit for consumption
> > as a "steak". Top sirloin, if it's good USDA choice or prime, can
> > make a passable steak. But even top sirloin is the bottom of the
> > barrel as far as pieces of steer that can be eaten steak style.

> Thanks Steve. I wasn't trolling (as someone else suggested), I really
> didn't know. I do now.

I didn't suggest that you were trolling. I expected somebody to
*accuse* you of trolling. But the trollsweeper didn't beep this time,
so you got a pass.

It's tricky to guess what will trigger sqwishy's "troll alert" buzzer.
The most innocuous questions sometimes do, but other times he's soooo
indulgent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 1:33 PM, Gary wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:52:44 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>>> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>

>> If you complain that a steak isn't "sirloin", then you deserve what
>> you get. If you want a steak, order a real steak, not "sirloin steak"
>> in the first place - you cheap assed *******s!
>>
>> -sw

> Please explain that. This will teach me something that I evidently don't
> know.

Some points in the article are valid. Others are not. The one about
ordering drinks one at a time..... not valid. When the waiter takes the
order it is up to him to make sure that he gets everyone's order at
once. If he ends up making four trips for four drinks.... he screwed up.

About the split bills..... they are wrong. It may not be about
someone paying $3.60 too much. It is not up to the waiter to make
judgments about relationship between the people he is serving. The
business transaction is between the individual diners and and
restaurant, not between the diners themselves. They may not have change.

The waiter should be well aware of the cheap, chiselling nature of some
of their customers. I know a few people, including some former
co-workers who are goddamned skinflints. I'd be lucky if if got them to
contribute 75% of their share of the bill, and you can forget about them
contributing to the check. If they are billed individually they are more
likely to leave a tip. If it's on one bill, they will weasel out of it.
I resent being expected to pay extra to make up for them.

In fact, one year I organized a Christmas lunch and I told the
servers we wanted individual bills and explained that to them. The
cheapskates can hide from the group bill and the group tip.

This sort of thinking is not far from the previously discussed issue of
tips and how waiters think that people should be tipping 20% now because
the cost of living has gone up. Apparently, the mathematical
calculation that results in a 15% tip on a more expensive bill will
automatically be bigger than it was on a smaller bill. This can help to
explain why some people are stuck in jobs that are, by definition,
menial labour.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Cathy! LTNS! Where've you been?! Hopefully everything is good in your
life. Set up a poll and remind people about the RFC website, would you
please?

I don't eat out very often. I did have dinner at a restaurant last night
with a friend/neighbor as a thank-you for cat-sitting for a week. Dockside
in Beaufort, SC is absolutely delightful! And we didn't frustrate the
server. We did have a short wait before we were seated, but this was a
small restaurant so that was to be expected.

IMHO, large parties, even if they do call ahead, cause the most problems for
servers. Especially at lunch time. I remember when I worked as a server
(we're talking 1980 or so) going around the tables for a large group. I
asked if anyone needed more coffee, more cream for their coffee or more tea.
And would anyone like more bread or rolls? Butter?

Invariably I was told "no thank you". The next pass around the table, maybe
5 minutes later, netted a "why don't we have enough butter/cream/bread? All
the servers (there were usually two-three of us for large parties) would run
their butts off to accommodate these people. And the total tip from a party
of 12-15? About a quarter per person. Whoo hoo! This is the job I want!
Running my ass off for much less than minimum wage, relying on the kindness
of others who have absolutely no idea what servers do to get their food out
to them in a timely manner.

Missed you, Cathy!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 14:36:43 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 24 May 2012 13:33:27 -0400, Gary wrote:
>> > Please explain that. This will teach me something that I evidently don't
>> > know.

>> "Sirloin steak" is going to be from the bottom sirloin (because they
>> didn't say "Top Sirloin"). Bottom sirloin is not fit for consumption
>> as a "steak". Top sirloin, if it's good USDA choice or prime, can
>> make a passable steak. But even top sirloin is the bottom of the
>> barrel as far as pieces of steer that can be eaten steak style.

>Thanks Steve. I wasn't trolling (as someone else suggested), I really
>didn't know. I do now.
>
>Gary :-D

Often sirloin is sold as London broil, don't buy it, even well
marinated it's awful. Of course everyone has different taste and
sirloin proves that... about five years ago one of my neighbors
invited me to a cookout along with some fifty others... for steak they
had tube or sirloin. One taste of the sirloin and I switched to
tube... I didn't even know which brand of tube but it was leagues
better than the sirloin. Most of those folks thought the sirloin was
great... proves there's no accounting for taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 3:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Invariably I was told "no thank you". The next pass around the table,
> maybe 5 minutes later, netted a "why don't we have enough
> butter/cream/bread? All the servers (there were usually two-three of us
> for large parties) would run their butts off to accommodate these
> people. And the total tip from a party of 12-15? About a quarter per
> person. Whoo hoo! This is the job I want! Running my ass off for much
> less than minimum wage, relying on the kindness of others who have
> absolutely no idea what servers do to get their food out to them in a
> timely manner.

I would hate to be a waiter for Big Niece and her husband. They are
tightwads, and even if they did eat their fill and run up a huge tab I
don't imagine they would tip well. And she can be very demanding. My
FiL used to host a Christmas party/birthday party every year at the
military institute. It was a brunch with entertainment. He always
arranged for us to have a private room and there would be one or two
waiters bringing our beverages.

Here is how it went down one year. The waiter came around with coffee.
BN wanted tea, so the waiter had to go and get tea for her. He brought
her tea. There was a pitcher of cream on the table. BN wanted milk, so
the waiter went and got her a pitcher of milk. Before he could get
away, she asked for a glass of orange juice. He came with the orange
juice and then BN asked for a glass of milk..... the water disappeared.
I don't know if BN got her glass of milk, but that waiter wasn't dumb
enough to come back. I don't blame him at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 10:52*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-...>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Maybe things are different in Africa, but I don't believe I'm guilty
of any of those things except splitting the bill - and I definitely
would insist if there were a difference of, say, a deluxe burger and a
Rib Eye.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 12:03:48 -0700 (PDT), Ernest Dotson
> wrote:

>On May 24, 11:12*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>> On May 24, 8:52*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>>
>> > <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-...>

>> Split bills? Why should a table of hamburger eaters pay for their
>> friend's lobster?

>The bigger issue for me is that I typically don't like to carry much
>cash. If I'm eating with friends, only one person can pay via card if
>the checks aren't separate.

Payment should never be of any concern to the server... yoose order
the food, yoose eat the food, yoose pay for the food... how is
entirely yoose problem. If you don't like to carry cash stay home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 12:33*pm, Gary > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:52:44 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> > > <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-...>

> > If you complain that a steak isn't "sirloin", then you deserve what
> > you get. *If you want a steak, order a real steak, not "sirloin steak"
> > in the first place - you cheap assed *******s!

> > -sw

> Please explain that. *This will teach me something that I evidently don't
> know.
>
> Gary

Apparently the person who chided you doesn't realize that most sirloin
cuts are much more flavorful than the most expensive cuts. Pish-tosh,
who cares.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 11:52*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-...>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

I have on occasion asked for separate checks.

I never bring kids.

I am entitled to change my mind on a drink but do it rarely..

I never claim friendship with the owner

I tip generously, so I doubt wait ppl have a beef with me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 11:36*am, Gary > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 24 May 2012 13:33:27 -0400, Gary wrote:
> > > Please explain that. *This will teach me something that I evidently don't
> > > know.

> > "Sirloin steak" is going to be from the bottom sirloin (because they
> > didn't say "Top Sirloin"). *Bottom sirloin is not fit for consumption
> > as a "steak". *Top sirloin, if it's good USDA choice or prime, can
> > make a passable steak. *But even top sirloin is the bottom of the
> > barrel as far as pieces of steer that can be eaten steak style.

> Thanks Steve. *I wasn't trolling (as someone else suggested), I really
> didn't know. *I do now.

There's also plain old sirloin, which on a beef animalis located right
above the top sirloin.

Sirloin is an odd cut though, not really suited either to fast dry
cooking or slow simmering. I will usually slice it against the grain
and stirfry. A sirloin roast is nice when baked rare and sliced
against the grain.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 2:56*pm, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 12:03:48 -0700 (PDT), Ernest Dotson
>
> > wrote:

> >> Split bills? Why should a table of hamburger eaters pay for their
> >> friend's lobster?

> >The bigger issue for me is that I typically don't like to carry much
> >cash. *If I'm eating with friends, only one person can pay via card if
> >the checks aren't separate.

> Payment should never be of any concern to the server... yoose order
> the food, yoose eat the food, yoose pay for the food... how is
> entirely yoose problem. *If you don't like to carry cash stay home.

Yup, I pay for the food. Hence I ought to be able to do so in a
manner that's convenient to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-24 19:56:29 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

>> The bigger issue for me is that I typically don't like to carry much
>> cash. If I'm eating with friends, only one person can pay via card if
>> the checks aren't separate.

The places I go they're more than glad to put separate amounts on
separate cards: e.g. $20 on this one and $40 on this one.

> Payment should never be of any concern to the server... yoose order
> the food, yoose eat the food, yoose pay for the food... how is
> entirely yoose problem. If you don't like to carry cash stay home.

You say "how to pay" is the diner's problem but then say they should
stay at home if they don't want to use cash--despite the fact that it
should be on no concern to the server.

What the hell are you talking about, if anything at all?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 24 May 2012 17:52:44 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>>
>> > <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>

>> If you complain that a steak isn't "sirloin", then you deserve what
>> you get. If you want a steak, order a real steak, not "sirloin steak"
>> in the first place - you cheap assed *******s!
>>
>> -sw

> Please explain that. This will teach me something that I evidently don't
> know.
>
> Gary

Restaurants (usually of the chain variety) ads seem so proud of their
sirloin steaks. That's fine if you want a steak you have to pound with a
meat mallet or marinate to make tender. Speaking from experience, sirloin
is one of the toughest cuts of beef there is. Doesn't matter what you call
it.

For less expensive, tender and juicy steaks, ask the butcher at the meat
counter for chuck-eye steaks. They're delicious!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>

I do get split bills sometimes. Never my idea but I am fine with it, mainly
because I tend to tip better than those I dine with. So for at least my
portion of the bill they know they are getting more tip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sqwishy has a memory hiccup.

> I didn't chide him nor call him a troll (I don't think I've called
> anyone a troll all year - so where that came from ... ?).

How many times is that a lie?

1.

2.

Well, that was easy. I'm sure there are more examples -- I only went
back 6 months.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 3:55 PM, Nancy2 wrote:

> Maybe things are different in Africa, but I don't believe I'm guilty
> of any of those things except splitting the bill - and I definitely
> would insist if there were a difference of, say, a deluxe burger and a
> Rib Eye.

An example of splitting the bill.... after my father died I went out for
lunch with two of my brothers. I had a beer with my lunch. One of my
brothers had 2 or 3, and the other had at least 6. Don't worry, his
drinking has slowed down since then. Point it, beer is relatively
expensive here. Our food bills were comparable, but we split the beer
and I ended up paying for three times as much as I drank.

One time a number of years ago we went out for dinner with our
neighbours. It was a nice place and we had a nice dinner and had an
after dinner drink. She had never had Gran Marnier before. She loved it.
She had 5 or 6 of them. We split the bill, which meant that I got stuck
for the price of three very expensive drinks more than I drank.

AFAIAC, separate bills should be automatic,and combined only if a person
is offering to pay the shot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 6:26*pm, Dave Smith > wrote:
> On 24/05/2012 3:55 PM, Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > Maybe things are different in Africa, but I don't believe I'm guilty
> > of any of those things except splitting the bill - and I definitely
> > would insist if there were a difference of, say, a deluxe burger and a
> > Rib Eye.

> An example of splitting the bill.... after my father died I went out for
> lunch with two of my brothers. *I had a beer with my lunch. One of my
> brothers had 2 or 3, and the other had at least 6. Don't worry, his
> drinking has slowed down since then. *Point it, beer is relatively
> expensive here. Our food bills were comparable, but we split the beer
> and I ended up paying for three times as much as I drank.
>
> One time a number of years ago we went out for dinner with our
> neighbours. It was a nice place and we had a nice dinner and had an
> after dinner drink. She had never had Gran Marnier before. She loved it.
> She had 5 or 6 of them. We split the bill, which meant that I got stuck
> for the price of three very expensive drinks more than I drank.
>
> AFAIAC, separate bills should be automatic,and combined only if a person
> is offering to pay the shot.

There are restaurants here that will not accept separate cheques. My
uncle goes out every Friday night with about 10 friends, and they were
told ahead of time that separate cheques were not accepted. So they
went somewhere else. The restaurant lost a bit of cash there I'd say.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Ernest Dotson > wrote:

> On May 24, 11:12*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> > On May 24, 8:52*am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> >
> > > <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-...>

> > Split bills? Why should a table of hamburger eaters pay for their
> > friend's lobster?

> The bigger issue for me is that I typically don't like to carry much
> cash. If I'm eating with friends, only one person can pay via card if
> the checks aren't separate.

Not where I live! We've never had a problem when asking the server to
put half the total (or x amount) on one card and the remainder on
another. Ever.

--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller September 5, 2011
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 6:37 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:

> There are restaurants here that will not accept separate cheques. My
> uncle goes out every Friday night with about 10 friends, and they were
> told ahead of time that separate cheques were not accepted. So they
> went somewhere else. The restaurant lost a bit of cash there I'd say.

I don't understand what the problem is with separate checks. The waiter
has to be able to keep track of who orders what in order to make sure
that they get the right food and drinks to each person. AFAIAC, each
diner is an individual customer. If I take my wife and/or son out for a
meal I naturally pay for it so it is not problem to get one bill. If I
go out with a bunch of people and I get a couple drinks and they are
having soft drinks or coffee,I don't expect an even split on the bill
and have then subsidize my beers. If I am having one beer and someone
else is drinking like a fish I don't want to split their bill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 3:56 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 12:03:48 -0700 (PDT), Ernest Dotson
> > wrote:

>>> Split bills? Why should a table of hamburger eaters pay for their
>>> friend's lobster?

>> The bigger issue for me is that I typically don't like to carry much
>> cash. If I'm eating with friends, only one person can pay via card if
>> the checks aren't separate.

> Payment should never be of any concern to the server... yoose order
> the food, yoose eat the food, yoose pay for the food... how is
> entirely yoose problem. If you don't like to carry cash stay home.

That is not the issue here. Most restaurants take cash, debit or credit
cards. If I were in the retail or restaurant business I would rather
deal with a person using plastic without cap than a person who has a
limited amount of cash. The issue is that a waiter, who has served
individual meals to individual dinners doesn't want to have to do
individual cash transactions. Too ****ing bad for them. Customers
should not be left in a position of having to suck up the loss of hard
earned cash because one of their friends too advantage of splitting a
bill to pig out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 2:29 PM, Pennyaline wrote:
> On 5/24/2012 9:52 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
> It's that customer's time too, not just the server's and the other
> tables' time. They are only drinks, and the server's job is to bring
> them when they're ordered and not at the convenience of the rest of the
> restaurant as a whole. As to No 5. Arseholes--the fictitious server in
> this piece is being a tremendous asshole in a number of ways,

Exactly. It is a bit of hyperbole to whine about a person complaining
about corked wine that came from a screw top. As if that ever actually
happened. If it did, which I doubt, the server would only have to point
out that it could not be corked because there was not goddamned cork.

> predominantly by complaining about how inconvenient customers are.
> Perhaps waitstaff who feel this way about it should find another line of
> work.

But isn't that the whole problem? For most people, waiting is an entry
level job. If they hate it and can't find another job it is because it
is all they can do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith > wrote:

>On 24/05/2012 6:37 PM, A Moose in Love wrote:
>
>> There are restaurants here that will not accept separate cheques. My
>> uncle goes out every Friday night with about 10 friends, and they were
>> told ahead of time that separate cheques were not accepted. So they
>> went somewhere else. The restaurant lost a bit of cash there I'd say.

>I don't understand what the problem is with separate checks. The waiter
>has to be able to keep track of who orders what in order to make sure
>that they get the right food and drinks to each person.

The best service I've ever gotten was from the Italian restaurant in
Malone, NY [Villa Fiore if you ever pass through there]. My son's
hockey team was in town for a tournament and the coach called and
asked if they could handle 13 12 yr olds and 20 or so adults. No
problem-- come down around 6pm, we'll open the back room. They sat
the team at one table and the adults at another. the waitress took
the teams orders first, and asked each boy for his jersey number. When
she took the adult's orders she matched them to the Jersey number.
13 checks-- no problem.

Not only that, the food was outstanding, the bread was baked on
premises-- and was served with a big bowl of melted garlic butter for
dipping.

And the lobster and linguine was exquisite.

>AFAIAC, each
>diner is an individual customer. If I take my wife and/or son out for a
>meal I naturally pay for it so it is not problem to get one bill. If I
>go out with a bunch of people and I get a couple drinks and they are
>having soft drinks or coffee,I don't expect an even split on the bill
>and have then subsidize my beers. If I am having one beer and someone
>else is drinking like a fish I don't want to split their bill.

Amen--

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-24 19:48:12 +0000, jmcquown said:

> IMHO, large parties, even if they do call ahead, cause the most
> problems for servers. Especially at lunch time. I remember when I
> worked as a server (we're talking 1980 or so) going around the tables
> for a large group. I asked if anyone needed more coffee, more cream
> for their coffee or more tea. And would anyone like more bread or
> rolls? Butter?

When it's a place I have a good personal relationship with the staff I
almost try to avoid large parties so as not to damage my rep there.
When I am there in such circumstances, I'll bellow out mass questions
and such. It's a nuisance. And there is always somebody endlessly
whining about one thing or other. I feel embarrassed to a small extent
but I also feel somewhat culpable, since it's *MY* place.

In sum, I avoid going to places with friends where I have to heard
cats, coddle, etc.

> Invariably I was told "no thank you". The next pass around the table,
> maybe 5 minutes later, netted a "why don't we have enough
> butter/cream/bread? All the servers (there were usually two-three of
> us for large parties) would run their butts off to accommodate these
> people. And the total tip from a party of 12-15? About a quarter per
> person. Whoo hoo! This is the job I want! Running my ass off for much
> less than minimum wage, relying on the kindness of others who have
> absolutely no idea what servers do to get their food out to them in a
> timely manner.

I don't know how regional this is, or what. But I never hear so much
or note so much about chiseler's tips in CA. But I sure did in OK/TX.

I use to live with a actress that waited tables through college. She
got me on a tight leash at 20% if the service was good. Most of my life
I knew they needed the money more than me.

Additionally when working in bars/clubs as a musician I heard the same
noise. I got in the habit of giving a big tip with the first drink of
the night and could guarantee steady service thereafter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-24 22:26:16 +0000, Dave Smith said:

> An example of splitting the bill.... after my father died I went out
> for lunch with two of my brothers. I had a beer with my lunch. One of
> my brothers had 2 or 3, and the other had at least 6. Don't worry, his
> drinking has slowed down since then. Point it, beer is relatively
> expensive here. Our food bills were comparable, but we split the beer
> and I ended up paying for three times as much as I drank.

That's how I do it. I figure in the big picture it evens out.

> One time a number of years ago we went out for dinner with our
> neighbours. It was a nice place and we had a nice dinner and had an
> after dinner drink. She had never had Gran Marnier before. She loved
> it. She had 5 or 6 of them. We split the bill, which meant that I got
> stuck for the price of three very expensive drinks more than I drank.

Well maybe you should make a point of ensuring that it works out!

> AFAIAC, separate bills should be automatic,and combined only if a
> person is offering to pay the shot.

In fairness it's difficult to sort through this with people you don't
know or expect never to see again. I've been lucky enough to be able to
be magnanimous, because at some points in my life it just wasn't
possible for me and I sure appreciated the kindness of others.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Brooklyn1" <Gravesend1> wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 12:03:48 -0700 (PDT), Ernest Dotson
> > wrote:

>>> Split bills? Why should a table of hamburger eaters pay for their
>>> friend's lobster?

>>The bigger issue for me is that I typically don't like to carry much
>>cash. If I'm eating with friends, only one person can pay via card if
>>the checks aren't separate.

> Payment should never be of any concern to the server... yoose order
> the food, yoose eat the food, yoose pay for the food... how is
> entirely yoose problem. If you don't like to carry cash stay home.

Sheldon, cut the Brooklynese for a minute Why does it matter if someone
eating out in a group of people has cash? Most restaurants (at least in
civilized countries) take both cash and credit cards. Most friends can
agree on separate checks. I'm certainly not chipping in to pay for lobster
if all I had was a bowl of soup. All you have to do is tell the server it's
separate checks. No big deal, but it gets the point across

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-24 18:00:23 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

> "It includes all people who leave their good manners, courtesy,
> cleanliness and other standards at the door – would you behave like
> that in your own home? No – well then don’t do it here either."
>
> That's an incorrect assumption, folks who behave like
> arseholes in restos behave exactly the same at home...

Jesus, it's like your intent is to state the exact opposite of
everything I ever knew to be true. I personally know people that
aren't assholes but inexplicably get testy, snide and demanding in the
company of waiters and waitresses. I've never understood it.

> €¦actually worse at home, servers see patrons on their best behaviour.

Maybe if everything you said didn't apply to all people living it would
produce less of that fart noise...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 05/24/2012 09:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Cathy! LTNS! Where've you been?!

Been right here, Just been busy. ;-)

> Hopefully everything is good in your
> life. Set up a poll and remind people about the RFC website, would you
> please?

I would if anybody could think up something 'new' and pass it on. My
webmaster email account still works... Heh, at least I remembered to pay
the ten bucks domain renewal fee in time this year, so it won't be 'cut
off' again hehe

> IMHO, large parties, even if they do call ahead, cause the most problems
> for servers. Especially at lunch time.

Haven't done the 'large parties' thing in a while, but I did sometimes
go out with my colleagues for office lunches - and there would be around
25 people.... Sometimes we 'passed the hat around' when the check
arrived and other times somebody would pay the whole bill and collect
the 'dues' back at the office. Either way the servers didn't seem to
mind; the food/drink was still paid for and they still got their tip
either way - so I had to wonder a bit about what the author of this
article was on about myself.

--
Cheers
ChattyCathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2012 5:52 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> <http://www.food24.com/News-and-Guides/Features/5-Bad-customer-habits-20120521>

I was eating breakfast with my wife at a Denny's this morning. The
waitress took our order and the woman at the table next to ours
expressed her displeasure that she had her butt pointed towards her
while taking our order. The word "bitch" immediately came to my mind but
that's what comes from the tables being too close together.

The waitress' only option was to stand behind me or take our order from
the far side of the table. I probably would have taken the awkward
position of standing behind a diner than having my butt in the vicinity
of another person - not because it might be offensive but having my back
to another person with knives and forks close at hand causes my spidey
sense to tingle.

Of course she bitched to the management about it when she went to pay. I
thought she just wanted to weasel out of the bill myself. While this was
going on, her three kids were left to their own devices at the table.
The little 3 year old was under the table laughing like a crazy person
and she told my wife that she weighed 60 pounds. Boy, she sure was a
little butterball, as were her older brother and sister. Anyway, my wife
left the waitress a 25% tip which I thought was nice of her.

Dave Barry said that a person that's not nice to a waitress is not a
nice person. I think that he was a hundred percent correct in this
observation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 6:15*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *Ernest Dotson > wrote:

> > > Split bills? Why should a table of hamburger eaters pay for their
> > > friend's lobster?

> > The bigger issue for me is that I typically don't like to carry much
> > cash. *If I'm eating with friends, only one person can pay via card if
> > the checks aren't separate.

> Not where I live! *We've never had a problem when asking the server to
> put half the total (or x amount) on one card and the remainder on
> another. *Ever.

Huh. I don't know what to say. I've had multiple occassions where
I've been out with a group of people and had each couple have to do a
scramble for cash to pay their share to the one person who paid the
overall bill on their card.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2012 3:02 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
for servers. Especially at lunch time.

> Haven't done the 'large parties' thing in a while, but I did sometimes
> go out with my colleagues for office lunches - and there would be around
> 25 people.... Sometimes we 'passed the hat around' when the check
> arrived and other times somebody would pay the whole bill and collect
> the 'dues' back at the office. Either way the servers didn't seem to
> mind; the food/drink was still paid for and they still got their tip
> either way - so I had to wonder a bit about what the author of this
> article was on about myself.

They have never eaten with my former co-worker Andy, for whom we coined
the phrase "getting Andied". We were on the road most of the time and
able to claim meals on our expense accounts. Andy never seemed to have
any money on hand and would bum money to pay his bills. It didn't stop
him from running up big bills. For instance, one day I had the lunch
special at one of our favourite places, which had great food and was
cheap. Soup, sandwich, fries and coffee for about $2.50 (early 90s).
Andy ordered fish and chips with extra fish, a large drink, a chocolate
sundae. Then when the bills came he didn't have money to pay his. He
claimed the lunch on his expense account and I was supposed to wait
until the expense cheque came in. Then he forgot to cash it. Then he
spent it on something else.

The cheap SOB claimed the lunch that I paid for and never did get back.
One day there were a bunch of us working together. Someone was going to
make a coffee run and we were going to flip to see who would pay.
Instead, I offered to pay if Andy paid me the money he owed me for that
lunch. I got my money, but then spent most of it on the coffee.

Andy rarely worked with the rest of us, but often showed up at meal
times. It got to the point where we not only insisted that he have money
if he was planning to eat with it, but we made him show us the money
before we would let him come along.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
om...
> On 25/05/2012 3:02 AM, ChattyCathy wrote:
> for servers. Especially at lunch time.
>>
>> Haven't done the 'large parties' thing in a while, but I did sometimes
>> go out with my colleagues for office lunches - and there would be around
>> 25 people.... Sometimes we 'passed the hat around' when the check
>> arrived and other times somebody would pay the whole bill and collect
>> the 'dues' back at the office. Either way the servers didn't seem to
>> mind; the food/drink was still paid for and they still got their tip
>> either way - so I had to wonder a bit about what the author of this
>> article was on about myself.
>>

> They have never eaten with my former co-worker Andy, for whom we coined
> the phrase "getting Andied". We were on the road most of the time and able
> to claim meals on our expense accounts. Andy never seemed to have any
> money on hand and would bum money to pay his bills. It didn't stop him
> from running up big bills. For instance, one day I had the lunch special
> at one of our favourite places, which had great food and was cheap. Soup,
> sandwich, fries and coffee for about $2.50 (early 90s). Andy ordered fish
> and chips with extra fish, a large drink, a chocolate sundae. Then when
> the bills came he didn't have money to pay his. He claimed the lunch on
> his expense account and I was supposed to wait until the expense cheque
> came in. Then he forgot to cash it. Then he spent it on something else.
>
> The cheap SOB claimed the lunch that I paid for and never did get back.
> One day there were a bunch of us working together. Someone was going to
> make a coffee run and we were going to flip to see who would pay. Instead,
> I offered to pay if Andy paid me the money he owed me for that lunch. I
> got my money, but then spent most of it on the coffee.
>
> Andy rarely worked with the rest of us, but often showed up at meal times.
> It got to the point where we not only insisted that he have money if he
> was planning to eat with it, but we made him show us the money before we
> would let him come along.

I worked with a woman who threw herself a big birthday party at a Mexican
restaurant. She went so far as to tell us what she wanted for gifts. She
ordered food and drinks. We did ask for separate checks and got them. But
when her bill came, she merely passed it around and said, "What? You don't
expect ME to pay do you? It's my BIRTHDAY!" We were all very angry about
that.

Other times she would show up at restaurants when many of us were there and
simply order a glass of water. She would tell the waitress that she had
already eaten.

We all thought that she was *very* rude and after those incidents we went
out of our way to try to make sure that she didn't find out about restaurant
things. But somehow she always did.

She also had a BBQ at her house once and told each of us to bring our own
food and drinks. That's right! She supplied nothing but the BBQ. She had
the party outside. And she had no patio furniture. She moved her couch and
upholstered chairs out on the deck. It was all very strange.