Old 24-05-2012, 02:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default There *is* a cilantro gene

Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.
http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf

Jim

Old 24-05-2012, 02:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.
http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf

Jim

I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
in brussels sprouts is genetic. Back in high school biology the
teacher passed out little strips of paler impregnated with a chemical
that genetically some could taste as bitter and some could not taste
at all. And genetically the "tasting" ability occured in a known
percentave of people in a population. An in our small sample size (the
class) our percentage of tasters was close to the known percentage!

I'm firmly convinced that some vegetables contain a similar nasty
flavor that only some can taste. For me and some others it's brussels
sprouts. For George HW Bush it was brocolli. I cannot taste anything
in broccoli that's the least bit unpleasant. Go figure!

John Kuthe...
Old 24-05-2012, 02:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.
http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

I think it tastes like soap, but I eat it. I just think some people
taste it stronger than others. Just like durian - some people taet
and smell ti stronger than others.

Hardly worth spending billions of dollars on studying and debating.
If everybody liked the same thing all the time we wouldn't have 300
different sexual positions and life would be boring.

I say!!! You have 300 different ...???

Cor blimey! ;o)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 24-05-2012, 03:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-24, John Kuthe wrote:

I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
in brussels sprouts is genetic.

It may be you've always eaten older mature brussel sprouts. I discovered a
long time ago small "baby" sprouts are nowhere near as bitter, sprouts
becoming more bitter as they grow. Try some really small ones.

I steam them for about 7-8 mins, top w/ real butter, and sprinkle with a good
fresh grated parmesan or pecorino. Yum!

nb
Old 24-05-2012, 03:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-24, John Kuthe wrote:

I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
in brussels sprouts is genetic.

It may be you've always eaten older mature brussel sprouts. I discovered a
long time ago small "baby" sprouts are nowhere near as bitter, sprouts
becoming more bitter as they grow. Try some really small ones.

I steam them for about 7-8 mins, top w/ real butter, and sprinkle with a good
fresh grated parmesan or pecorino. Yum!

nb

It's interesting that you describe the flavor as bitter. I like
Brussels sprouts and I can't fathom where the idea of bitter comes
from.
Janet US

Old 24-05-2012, 03:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 8:20*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Thought this was interesting-- * Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

The actual study is written up *in an 18 page pdf-http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/pdf/2044-7248-1-8.pdf

I learned a new thing. The main flavor component of cilantro is the
same as the dominant ingredient in the secretions of stink bugs:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950814c
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14584678

Jim

--Bryan
Old 24-05-2012, 04:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I agree with you, John. I love broccoli. The brussel sprouts are weird
though and need to be cooked in a special way to taste good. I haven't
found that special way yet. I only eat them when on a diet. Other than
that, they would make great large ammo for a Whammo sling shot!

Gary
Old 24-05-2012, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
in brussels sprouts is genetic.

You have to cook them fully, beyond any crunchiness, beyond "tender",
and into melt-in-your-mouth softness.

Old 24-05-2012, 04:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

[...]

I have never liked broccoli "flowers" but I can eat the stems with
reasonable
enjoyment. To tell the truth, I never liked any Brassica vegetable as a
child but that I found was due to them being overcooked. I like both
cabbage and Brussels sprouts these days but I still find them bitter if
they are cooked too much. I don't really like Minestrone soup if it
contains overcooked cabbage.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Old 24-05-2012, 06:51 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-24, John Kuthe wrote:

I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
in brussels sprouts is genetic.

It may be you've always eaten older mature brussel sprouts. I discovered a
long time ago small "baby" sprouts are nowhere near as bitter, sprouts
becoming more bitter as they grow. Try some really small ones.

I steam them for about 7-8 mins, top w/ real butter, and sprinkle with a good
fresh grated parmesan or pecorino. Yum!

nb

It's interesting that you describe the flavor as bitter. I like
Brussels sprouts and I can't fathom where the idea of bitter comes
from.
Janet US

This is exactly what I mean. People that cannot taste it cannot fathom
what I'm talking about, just as I cannot fathom what George HW Bush
fids distasteful about broccoli. My father, sister and one unrelated
friend I can think of also share my complete distaste for brussels
sprouts. And my sister once thought well maybe if we get very young
fresh brussels sprouts they will be good. So we did for one
Thansgiving and they werre still nasty!

John Kuthe...

Old 24-05-2012, 07:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 07:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
wrote:

On May 24, 8:20*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
Thought this was interesting-- * Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

The actual study is written up *in an 18 page pdf-http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/pdf/2044-7248-1-8.pdf

I learned a new thing. The main flavor component of cilantro is the
same as the dominant ingredient in the secretions of stink bugs:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950814c
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14584678

Jim

--Bryan

BUT Bryan!! Does this mean that this same compound secreted by stink
bugs that is the "main flavor component of cilantro" is the same exact
compound which make stink bugs stink, which I'm sure is your inference
knowing your distaste for cilantro! Or could it be that the stink of
stink bugs is due to an entirely unrelated to cilantro compound?

Aha!!

John Kuthe...

Old 24-05-2012, 09:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Thought this was interesting-- * Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.
http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

The actual study is written up *in an 18 page pdf-
http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf

Jim

I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
in brussels sprouts is genetic.

That's a common theory. See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/ch...the-genes.html

for example. I'm the same way. They're intolerably bitter to me,
regardless of how properly they're cooked.
Old 24-05-2012, 10:03 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.
http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

I think it tastes like soap, but I eat it. I just think some people
taste it stronger than others. Just like durian - some people taet
and smell ti stronger than others.

Hardly worth spending billions of dollars on studying and debating.
If everybody liked the same thing all the time we wouldn't have 300
different sexual positions and life would be boring.

The odd thing is, I only ever got the soap taste once. It was with some I
had grown and it had gone to seed. If I eat it in a restaurant or buy it at
the store, it tastes fine.

Old 24-05-2012, 10:19 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Thought this was interesting-- * Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.
http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

The actual study is written up *in an 18 page pdf-
http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf

Jim

I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
in brussels sprouts is genetic.

That's a common theory. See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/ch...the-genes.html

for example. I'm the same way. They're intolerably bitter to me,
regardless of how properly they're cooked.

THANK YOU!!

Yes, that is what I'm thinking.

John Kuthe...