Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default There *is* a cilantro gene

Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
see frequently.
http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

>Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>see frequently.
>http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>
>The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
>http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf
>
>Jim

I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
in brussels sprouts is genetic. Back in high school biology the
teacher passed out little strips of paler impregnated with a chemical
that genetically some could taste as bitter and some could not taste
at all. And genetically the "tasting" ability occured in a known
percentave of people in a population. An in our small sample size (the
class) our percentage of tasters was close to the known percentage!

I'm firmly convinced that some vegetables contain a similar nasty
flavor that only some can taste. For me and some others it's brussels
sprouts. For George HW Bush it was brocolli. I cannot taste anything
in broccoli that's the least bit unpleasant. Go figure!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>> see frequently.
>> http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

> I think it tastes like soap, but I eat it. I just think some people
> taste it stronger than others. Just like durian - some people taet
> and smell ti stronger than others.
>
> Hardly worth spending billions of dollars on studying and debating.
> If everybody liked the same thing all the time we wouldn't have 300
> different sexual positions and life would be boring.

I say!!! You have 300 different ...???

Cor blimey! ;o)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-24, John Kuthe > wrote:

> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

It may be you've always eaten older mature brussel sprouts. I discovered a
long time ago small "baby" sprouts are nowhere near as bitter, sprouts
becoming more bitter as they grow. Try some really small ones.

I steam them for about 7-8 mins, top w/ real butter, and sprinkle with a good
fresh grated parmesan or pecorino. Yum!

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24 May 2012 14:23:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2012-05-24, John Kuthe > wrote:
>>
>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

>It may be you've always eaten older mature brussel sprouts. I discovered a
>long time ago small "baby" sprouts are nowhere near as bitter, sprouts
>becoming more bitter as they grow. Try some really small ones.
>
>I steam them for about 7-8 mins, top w/ real butter, and sprinkle with a good
>fresh grated parmesan or pecorino. Yum!
>
>nb

It's interesting that you describe the flavor as bitter. I like
Brussels sprouts and I can't fathom where the idea of bitter comes
from.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 8:20*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
> Thought this was interesting-- * Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
> see frequently.http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>
> The actual study is written up *in an 18 page pdf-http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/pdf/2044-7248-1-8.pdf

I learned a new thing. The main flavor component of cilantro is the
same as the dominant ingredient in the secretions of stink bugs:
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950814c
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14584678

> Jim

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
> >Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
> >study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
> >see frequently.
> >http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
> >
> >The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
> >http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf
> >
> >Jim

> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
> in brussels sprouts is genetic. Back in high school biology the
> teacher passed out little strips of paler impregnated with a chemical
> that genetically some could taste as bitter and some could not taste
> at all. And genetically the "tasting" ability occured in a known
> percentave of people in a population. An in our small sample size (the
> class) our percentage of tasters was close to the known percentage!
>
> I'm firmly convinced that some vegetables contain a similar nasty
> flavor that only some can taste. For me and some others it's brussels
> sprouts. For George HW Bush it was brocolli. I cannot taste anything
> in broccoli that's the least bit unpleasant. Go figure!
>
> John Kuthe...

I agree with you, John. I love broccoli. The brussel sprouts are weird
though and need to be cooked in a special way to taste good. I haven't
found that special way yet. I only eat them when on a diet. Other than
that, they would make great large ammo for a Whammo sling shot!

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

You have to cook them fully, beyond any crunchiness, beyond "tender",
and into melt-in-your-mouth softness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2012 11:03 AM, Gary wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>>> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>>> see frequently.
>>> http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>>>
>>> The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
>>> http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf
>>>
>>> Jim

>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>> in brussels sprouts is genetic. Back in high school biology the
>> teacher passed out little strips of paler impregnated with a chemical
>> that genetically some could taste as bitter and some could not taste
>> at all. And genetically the "tasting" ability occured in a known
>> percentave of people in a population. An in our small sample size (the
>> class) our percentage of tasters was close to the known percentage!
>>
>> I'm firmly convinced that some vegetables contain a similar nasty
>> flavor that only some can taste. For me and some others it's brussels
>> sprouts. For George HW Bush it was brocolli. I cannot taste anything
>> in broccoli that's the least bit unpleasant. Go figure!
>>
>> John Kuthe...

> I agree with you, John. I love broccoli. The brussel sprouts are weird
> though and need to be cooked in a special way to taste good. I haven't
> found that special way yet. I only eat them when on a diet. Other than
> that, they would make great large ammo for a Whammo sling shot!

I have never liked broccoli "flowers" but I can eat the stems with
reasonable
enjoyment. To tell the truth, I never liked any Brassica vegetable as a
child but that I found was due to them being overcooked. I like both
cabbage and Brussels sprouts these days but I still find them bitter if
they are cooked too much. I don't really like Minestrone soup if it
contains overcooked cabbage.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 08:36:36 -0600, Janet Bostwick
> wrote:

>On 24 May 2012 14:23:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2012-05-24, John Kuthe > wrote:
>>>
>>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>>> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

>>It may be you've always eaten older mature brussel sprouts. I discovered a
>>long time ago small "baby" sprouts are nowhere near as bitter, sprouts
>>becoming more bitter as they grow. Try some really small ones.
>>
>>I steam them for about 7-8 mins, top w/ real butter, and sprinkle with a good
>>fresh grated parmesan or pecorino. Yum!
>>
>>nb

>It's interesting that you describe the flavor as bitter. I like
>Brussels sprouts and I can't fathom where the idea of bitter comes
>from.
>Janet US

This is exactly what I mean. People that cannot taste it cannot fathom
what I'm talking about, just as I cannot fathom what George HW Bush
fids distasteful about broccoli. My father, sister and one unrelated
friend I can think of also share my complete distaste for brussels
sprouts. And my sister once thought well maybe if we get very young
fresh brussels sprouts they will be good. So we did for one
Thansgiving and they werre still nasty!

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 07:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> wrote:

>On May 24, 8:20*am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>> Thought this was interesting-- * Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>> see frequently.http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>>
>> The actual study is written up *in an 18 page pdf-http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/pdf/2044-7248-1-8.pdf

>I learned a new thing. The main flavor component of cilantro is the
>same as the dominant ingredient in the secretions of stink bugs:
>http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950814c
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14584678
>>
>> Jim

>--Bryan

BUT Bryan!! Does this mean that this same compound secreted by stink
bugs that is the "main flavor component of cilantro" is the same exact
compound which make stink bugs stink, which I'm sure is your inference
knowing your distaste for cilantro! Or could it be that the stink of
stink bugs is due to an entirely unrelated to cilantro compound?

Aha!!

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

the only other one i know about is asparagus, for those of us with food
sensitivities, these things are well known ancedotally, Lee
"Jim Elbrecht" > wrote in message
news
> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
> see frequently.
> http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>
> The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
> http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf
>
> Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 24, 8:51*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
> wrote:
>
> >Thought this was interesting-- * Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
> >study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
> >see frequently.
> >http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

> >The actual study is written up *in an 18 page pdf-
> >http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf

> >Jim

> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

That's a common theory. See:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/ch...the-genes.html

for example. I'm the same way. They're intolerably bitter to me,
regardless of how properly they're cooked.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>> see frequently.
>> http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

> I think it tastes like soap, but I eat it. I just think some people
> taste it stronger than others. Just like durian - some people taet
> and smell ti stronger than others.
>
> Hardly worth spending billions of dollars on studying and debating.
> If everybody liked the same thing all the time we wouldn't have 300
> different sexual positions and life would be boring.

The odd thing is, I only ever got the soap taste once. It was with some I
had grown and it had gone to seed. If I eat it in a restaurant or buy it at
the store, it tastes fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 13:36:38 -0700 (PDT), Ernest Dotson
> wrote:

>On May 24, 8:51*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Thought this was interesting-- * Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>> >study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>> >see frequently.
>> >http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

>> >The actual study is written up *in an 18 page pdf-
>> >http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf

>> >Jim

>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

>That's a common theory. See:
>
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/ch...the-genes.html
>
>for example. I'm the same way. They're intolerably bitter to me,
>regardless of how properly they're cooked.

THANK YOU!!

Yes, that is what I'm thinking.

John Kuthe...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"John Kuthe" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 13:36:38 -0700 (PDT), Ernest Dotson
> > wrote:
>
>>On May 24, 8:51 am, John Kuthe > wrote:

>>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>>> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

>>That's a common theory. See:
>>
>>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/ch...the-genes.html
>>
>>for example. I'm the same way. They're intolerably bitter to me,
>>regardless of how properly they're cooked.

> THANK YOU!!
>
> Yes, that is what I'm thinking.

To me, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli (cooked) and Asparagus all taste vile. I
don't necessarily think they are bitter. Just so bad that I have to spit
them out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 13:36:38 -0700 (PDT) in rec.food.cooking, Ernest
Dotson > wrote,

>That's a common theory. See:
>
>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/ch...the-genes.html
>
>for example. I'm the same way. They're intolerably bitter to me,
>regardless of how properly they're cooked.

I have always liked Brussels sprouts, even as a kid. No bitterness,
although they do have a unique flavor I don't recognize in anything
else. I'm voting for genetic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2012 3:20 AM, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
> see frequently.
> http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>
> The actual study is written up in an 18 page pdf-
> http://www.flavourjournal.com/conten...4-7248-1-8.pdf
>
> Jim

I find cilantro unpleasant most times but one can acquire a taste for
it. I had some in a bowl of turkey jook the other day and it was good.
My guess is that there is a similar genetic predisposition with olive
oil - that stuff tastes like varnish to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2012 5:16 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
> John Kuthe wrote:
>
>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

> You have to cook them fully, beyond any crunchiness, beyond "tender",
> and into melt-in-your-mouth softness.

A lot of people don't like their sprouts overcooked like that. It
doesn't matter much to me - I find them nasty however way you cook it.
:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 7:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I find cilantro unpleasant most times but one can acquire a taste for
> it. I had some in a bowl of turkey jook the other day and it was good.
> My guess is that there is a similar genetic predisposition with olive
> oil - that stuff tastes like varnish to me.

I always liked cilantro. My wife used to hate it. She came around. She
started eating it somewhat grudgingly and now really enjoys it. I
frequently cook Thai curried chicken with coconut milk. She used to like
the curry but always wanted me to cut back on the cilantro. Over the
years it has become one of her favourite dishes and if she does the
shopping she usually picks up cilantro with the hope that I will make it
for her, and use lots of cilantro.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 7:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 5/24/2012 5:16 AM, George M. Middius wrote:
>> John Kuthe wrote:
>>
>>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>>> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

>> You have to cook them fully, beyond any crunchiness, beyond "tender",
>> and into melt-in-your-mouth softness.
>>

> A lot of people don't like their sprouts overcooked like that. It
> doesn't matter much to me - I find them nasty however way you cook it. :-)

Hell, it is the cooking them until they are tender that brings out the
nasty flavour. If cooked only until they are still slightly crunchy they
are delicious. Spinach is the same way. Steamed briefly it is quite
good, but if boiled too long it develops a nasty taste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2012 1:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 24/05/2012 7:32 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>

>> I find cilantro unpleasant most times but one can acquire a taste for
>> it. I had some in a bowl of turkey jook the other day and it was good.
>> My guess is that there is a similar genetic predisposition with olive
>> oil - that stuff tastes like varnish to me.

> I always liked cilantro. My wife used to hate it. She came around. She
> started eating it somewhat grudgingly and now really enjoys it. I
> frequently cook Thai curried chicken with coconut milk. She used to like
> the curry but always wanted me to cut back on the cilantro. Over the
> years it has become one of her favourite dishes and if she does the
> shopping she usually picks up cilantro with the hope that I will make it
> for her, and use lots of cilantro.

Cilantro redemption! It's a nice story. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2012 1:48 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 24/05/2012 7:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> You have to cook them fully, beyond any crunchiness, beyond "tender",
>>> and into melt-in-your-mouth softness.
>>>

>> A lot of people don't like their sprouts overcooked like that. It
>> doesn't matter much to me - I find them nasty however way you cook it.
>> :-)

> Hell, it is the cooking them until they are tender that brings out the
> nasty flavour. If cooked only until they are still slightly crunchy they
> are delicious. Spinach is the same way. Steamed briefly it is quite
> good, but if boiled too long it develops a nasty taste.

Yeah, my wife bitches to me if I overcook the broccoli. Next time she's
gonna get it raw.

I'm gonna do a pork butt cooked in the oven. My plan is to wrap the
roast in taro leaves and then roast it in a 300 degree oven for 4 hours
or so. I have no idea if taro leaves can be cooked for so long. Maybe I
just make squid luau!

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2010/02...-kanak-attack/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

the amount makes the difference to me, and its a very slim line, there is a
resto we eat at that makes the best salsa, when the owner makes it fine,
when others do, soap, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 24 May 2012 09:20:18 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>>
>>> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>>> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>>> see frequently.
>>> http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic

>> I think it tastes like soap, but I eat it. I just think some people
>> taste it stronger than others. Just like durian - some people taet
>> and smell ti stronger than others.
>>
>> Hardly worth spending billions of dollars on studying and debating.
>> If everybody liked the same thing all the time we wouldn't have 300
>> different sexual positions and life would be boring.

> The odd thing is, I only ever got the soap taste once. It was with some I
> had grown and it had gone to seed. If I eat it in a restaurant or buy it
> at the store, it tastes fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan > wrote:
> On May 24, 8:20 am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>> see frequently.http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>>
>> The actual study is written up in an 18 page
>> pdf-http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/pdf/2044-7248-1-8.pdf

> I learned a new thing. The main flavor component of cilantro is the
> same as the dominant ingredient in the secretions of stink bugs:
> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950814c
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14584678
>>
>> Jim

> --Bryan

Oh thanks.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Thu, 24 May 2012 07:53:57 -0700 (PDT), Bryan
> > wrote:
>
>> On May 24, 8:20 am, Jim Elbrecht > wrote:
>>> Thought this was interesting-- Now I'd like to see a comprehensive
>>> study asking about EVOO and some of the other like/dislike quirks we
>>> see frequently.http://gizmodo.com/5911387/is-cilantro-hating-genetic
>>>
>>> The actual study is written up in an 18 page
>>> pdf-http://www.flavourjournal.com/content/pdf/2044-7248-1-8.pdf

>> I learned a new thing. The main flavor component of cilantro is the
>> same as the dominant ingredient in the secretions of stink bugs:
>> http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf950814c
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14584678
>>>
>>> Jim

>> --Bryan

> BUT Bryan!! Does this mean that this same compound secreted by stink
> bugs that is the "main flavor component of cilantro" is the same exact
> compound which make stink bugs stink, which I'm sure is your inference
> knowing your distaste for cilantro! Or could it be that the stink of
> stink bugs is due to an entirely unrelated to cilantro compound?
>
> Aha!!
>
> John Kuthe...

I just smelled some. I think it might be a component, but certainly not a
dominant one.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brussels Sprouts (WAS: There *is* a cilantro gene)

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> On 24 May 2012 14:23:32 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>On 2012-05-24, John Kuthe > wrote:
>>>
>>> I wanna know if the unavoidably unpleasant bitter flavor I experience
>>> in brussels sprouts is genetic.

>>It may be you've always eaten older mature brussel sprouts. I discovered
>>long time ago small "baby" sprouts are nowhere near as bitter, sprouts
>>becoming more bitter as they grow. Try some really small ones.
>>
>>I steam them for about 7-8 mins, top w/ real butter, and sprinkle with a
>>good
>>fresh grated parmesan or pecorino. Yum!
>>
>>nb

> It's interesting that you describe the flavor as bitter. I like
> Brussels sprouts and I can't fathom where the idea of bitter comes
> from.
> Janet US

I love Brussels sprouts, but nb is correct. If the sprouts are too old
sometimes the bitterness is obvious. They inherently have an underlying
bitterness which occurs naturally, according to this article:

http://articles.economictimes.indiat...prouts-cabbage

Blame it on glucosinolates Or blame it on the way they're cooked. If
you boil brussels sprouts to death they aren't going to taste good no matter
what you do. Steamed, like nb suggests makes all the difference. And buy
them in season! Don't expect wonderful Brussels sprouts in July.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2012 11:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> I love Brussels sprouts, but nb is correct. If the sprouts are too old
> sometimes the bitterness is obvious. They inherently have an underlying
> bitterness which occurs naturally, according to this article:
>
> http://articles.economictimes.indiat...prouts-cabbage
>

> Blame it on glucosinolates Or blame it on the way they're cooked. If
> you boil brussels sprouts to death they aren't going to taste good no
> matter what you do. Steamed, like nb suggests makes all the difference.
> And buy them in season! Don't expect wonderful Brussels sprouts in July.

I started to like Brussels Sprouts when I learned to eat them slightly
crunchy. I haven't really noticed a difference between the smaller and
larger sprouts, but they are better when fresher. I buy frozen sprouts
in the off season. They are surprisingly good.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 25/05/2012 11:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> I love Brussels sprouts, but nb is correct. If the sprouts are too old
>> sometimes the bitterness is obvious. They inherently have an underlying
>> bitterness which occurs naturally, according to this article:
>>
>> http://articles.economictimes.indiat...prouts-cabbage
>>

>> Blame it on glucosinolates Or blame it on the way they're cooked. If
>> you boil brussels sprouts to death they aren't going to taste good no
>> matter what you do. Steamed, like nb suggests makes all the difference.
>> And buy them in season! Don't expect wonderful Brussels sprouts in July.
>>

> I started to like Brussels Sprouts when I learned to eat them slightly
> crunchy. I haven't really noticed a difference between the smaller and
> larger sprouts, but they are better when fresher. I buy frozen sprouts in
> the off season. They are surprisingly good.

All the things people don't like! I've got frozen brussels sprouts. I've
got frozen fordhook lima beans. Some people hate both I'm supposed to
be the picky eater in the family. I like most vegetables so long as they're
cooked, but not cooked to death. Having said that, I don't like "crisp"
vegetables. I cook brussels sprouts until fork tender. That's how I know
they're done

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2012 2:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On 25/05/2012 11:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I love Brussels sprouts, but nb is correct. If the sprouts are too old
>>> sometimes the bitterness is obvious. They inherently have an underlying
>>> bitterness which occurs naturally, according to this article:
>>>
>>> http://articles.economictimes.indiat...prouts-cabbage
>>>

>>> Blame it on glucosinolates Or blame it on the way they're cooked. If
>>> you boil brussels sprouts to death they aren't going to taste good no
>>> matter what you do. Steamed, like nb suggests makes all the difference.
>>> And buy them in season! Don't expect wonderful Brussels sprouts in July.
>>>

>> I started to like Brussels Sprouts when I learned to eat them slightly
>> crunchy. I haven't really noticed a difference between the smaller and
>> larger sprouts, but they are better when fresher. I buy frozen sprouts
>> in the off season. They are surprisingly good.
>>

> All the things people don't like! I've got frozen brussels sprouts. I've
> got frozen fordhook lima beans. Some people hate both I'm supposed to
> be the picky eater in the family. I like most vegetables so long as
> they're cooked, but not cooked to death. Having said that, I don't like
> "crisp" vegetables. I cook brussels sprouts until fork tender. That's
> how I know they're done
>
> Jill

Even fresh Brussels sprouts are better after a slight frosting tho I
don't eat frozen ones. You may see them displayed on crushed ice in
supermarkets.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:28:59 -0400, James Silverton
> wrote:

>On 5/25/2012 2:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>>> I started to like Brussels Sprouts when I learned to eat them slightly
>>> crunchy. I haven't really noticed a difference between the smaller and
>>> larger sprouts, but they are better when fresher. I buy frozen sprouts
>>> in the off season. They are surprisingly good.
>>>

>> All the things people don't like! I've got frozen brussels sprouts. I've
>> got frozen fordhook lima beans. Some people hate both I'm supposed to
>> be the picky eater in the family. I like most vegetables so long as
>> they're cooked, but not cooked to death. Having said that, I don't like
>> "crisp" vegetables. I cook brussels sprouts until fork tender. That's
>> how I know they're done
>>
>> Jill

>Even fresh Brussels sprouts are better after a slight frosting tho I
>don't eat frozen ones. You may see them displayed on crushed ice in
>supermarkets.

Stupidmarket sprouts are not very good quality. The best sprouts are
those I would buy on Lung Guyland, freshly harvested still on the
stalk... because of cooler weather they are better quality than CA
crops.
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?not...50342016910670
http://gardening.about.com/od/vegeta...els_Sprout.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2012 2:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I started to like Brussels Sprouts when I learned to eat them slightly
>> crunchy. I haven't really noticed a difference between the smaller and
>> larger sprouts, but they are better when fresher. I buy frozen sprouts
>> in the off season. They are surprisingly good.
>>

> All the things people don't like! I've got frozen brussels sprouts. I've
> got frozen fordhook lima beans. Some people hate both I'm supposed to
> be the picky eater in the family. I like most vegetables so long as
> they're cooked, but not cooked to death. Having said that, I don't like
> "crisp" vegetables. I cook brussels sprouts until fork tender. That's
> how I know they're done

I am not saying they have to be raw, but there should be a slight
resistance. The difference in flavour is amazing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> On 24/05/2012 7:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> You have to cook them fully, beyond any crunchiness, beyond "tender",
> >> and into melt-in-your-mouth softness.
> >>

> > A lot of people don't like their sprouts overcooked like that. It
> > doesn't matter much to me - I find them nasty however way you cook it. :-)

> Hell, it is the cooking them until they are tender that brings out the
> nasty flavour. If cooked only until they are still slightly crunchy they
> are delicious. Spinach is the same way. Steamed briefly it is quite
> good, but if boiled too long it develops a nasty taste.

Moral of story: DON'T boil brussels sprouts. We roast them.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> On 25/05/2012 11:58 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I love Brussels sprouts, but nb is correct. If the sprouts are too old
>>> sometimes the bitterness is obvious. They inherently have an underlying
>>> bitterness which occurs naturally, according to this article:
>>>
>>> http://articles.economictimes.indiat...prouts-cabbage
>>>

>>> Blame it on glucosinolates Or blame it on the way they're cooked. If
>>> you boil brussels sprouts to death they aren't going to taste good no
>>> matter what you do. Steamed, like nb suggests makes all the difference.
>>> And buy them in season! Don't expect wonderful Brussels sprouts in
>>> July.
>>>

>> I started to like Brussels Sprouts when I learned to eat them
>> slightly crunchy. I haven't really noticed a difference between the
>> smaller and larger sprouts, but they are better when fresher. I buy
>> frozen sprouts in the off season. They are surprisingly good.
>>

> All the things people don't like! I've got frozen brussels sprouts.
> I've got frozen fordhook lima beans. Some people hate both I'm
> supposed to be the picky eater in the family. I like most vegetables
> so long as they're cooked, but not cooked to death. Having said that,
> I don't like "crisp" vegetables. I cook brussels sprouts until fork
> tender. That's how I know they're done
>
> Jill

The post was not all about you. Your "I've", "I'm" and "I" sentences
prove you are a narcissist.

Carry on...

Earl

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 25/05/2012 2:42 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>>
>>> I started to like Brussels Sprouts when I learned to eat them slightly
>>> crunchy. I haven't really noticed a difference between the smaller and
>>> larger sprouts, but they are better when fresher. I buy frozen sprouts
>>> in the off season. They are surprisingly good.
>>>

>> All the things people don't like! I've got frozen brussels sprouts. I've
>> got frozen fordhook lima beans. Some people hate both I'm supposed to
>> be the picky eater in the family. I like most vegetables so long as
>> they're cooked, but not cooked to death. Having said that, I don't like
>> "crisp" vegetables. I cook brussels sprouts until fork tender. That's
>> how I know they're done

> I am not saying they have to be raw, but there should be a slight
> resistance. The difference in flavour is amazing.

Not to me. Granted I don't want vegetables cooked to death to the point of
mushy. I don't want them crisp, either. That drives me crazy. I really
dislike raw vegetables so "tender crisp" is, IMHO, just about the same
thing. I'm not trying to impose my tastes on others. We can all agree we
either like brussels sprouts or not, regardless of how they're cooked

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/05/2012 1:48 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>> I am not saying they have to be raw, but there should be a slight
>> resistance. The difference in flavour is amazing.

> Not to me. Granted I don't want vegetables cooked to death to the point
> of mushy. I don't want them crisp, either. That drives me crazy. I
> really dislike raw vegetables so "tender crisp" is, IMHO, just about the
> same thing. I'm not trying to impose my tastes on others. We can all
> agree we either like brussels sprouts or not, regardless of how they're
> cooked

I don't think that I can agree with that. Brussels Sprouts are something
that I started to like after having them cooked just enough so there is
still just a slight crunch inside. Spinach is similar in that way. When
just barely steamed it is pretty good. When thoroughly cooked it
develops a nasty taste. Broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables,
but when cooked until it is no longer firm it takes on a funky taste.
Then there is parsnip. I hated them for years. A couple years ago we
tried them roasted and I liked them. The more well roasted they are, the
better they taste. After enjoying them roasted for a while I got brave
and tried them boiled. They were just as bad as I remembered. Cooking
method does affect whether or not we like some things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet US wrote:

>It's interesting that you describe the
> flavor as bitter. I like Brussels sprouts
> and I can't fathom where the idea of
> bitter comes from.

Brussel Sprouts have always had a bitter taste to me too, but yet my
hubby and two of our children love them. I've tried them fixed different
ways to camouflage the flavor, but nothing helps. It's my least favorite
of all veggies, even though I love cabbage, and they are of the cabbage
family. Another veggie I can't eat by itself, is green beans, but like
them in some casseroles, that contain other ingredients.

I LOVE cilantro, and the more the better. I even love the smell of it,
when I pass by it in the produce section of the grocery store.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.food.com/recipe/julia-chi...arsnips-108040

>> Thanks, but I have to wonder if it is going to have that nasty taste of
>> boiled parsnips. I cannot stomach boiled parsnips but I really like
>> them when they are roasted.

> No, after the second cooking, it takes on a very un-parsnip type
> flavour. We all like them roasted, or cooked this way.

In that case.... I may give them a try.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 27/05/2012 5:53 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> Brussel Sprouts have always had a bitter taste to me too,

I think it is the overcooking that brings out that nasty flavour. I
never liked them until I had them "underdone" and now I like them.

but yet my
> hubby and two of our children love them. I've tried them fixed different
> ways to camouflage the flavor, but nothing helps. It's my least favorite
> of all veggies, even though I love cabbage, and they are of the cabbage
> family. Another veggie I can't eat by itself, is green beans, but like
> them in some casseroles, that contain other ingredients.

Try them fresh from the garden. I rarely buy and cook green beans
because I was spoiled as a kid. My father always had a small vegetable
garden and he planted lots of green beans. We used to be sent out to
pick them while my mother was preparing dinner. The fresh picked beans
would go into a pot and cooked within minutes of picking. They were
great. Store bought beans are generally disappointing, but I still have
that nice association of good, garden fresh beans.

> I LOVE cilantro, and the more the better. I even love the smell of it,
> when I pass by it in the produce section of the grocery store.

As much as I like cilantro, I think it can be overdone. It is one of
those things that is lost n a dish if there is not enough, but when you
have the right amount the dish is incredible.