Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Long Term Food Storage

On May 25, 6:55*pm, gtr > wrote:
> On 2012-05-25 12:35:59 +0000, Michael OConnor said:
>
> > I remember that episode.

> I did too, I just used "To Serve Man" as a punchline.
>
> > The mob fashioned a battering ram and
> > smashed down the door of the bomb shelter, immediately afterward the
> > radio announcer said it was a training drill or a mistake of some kind
> > but there was no impending nuclear attack, and all the former "friends
> > and neighbors" who just ruined this guy's bomb shelter just apologized
> > as though they accidentally spilled a drink on the carpet of their
> > home or something and it wasn't a big deal.

> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_She..._Twilight_Zone)

> The way I remember it they were holding knives and guns and a few
> punches at been thrown, and the kind of personal insults and
> accusations that could never be taken back. *That sort of thing. *It
> was a great episode with an excellent crane shot at the end!

Youtube is our friend. This episode is available in three parts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuj2yuoC3PY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU7v1...feature=relmfu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwrI...feature=relmfu
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:25:53 -0500, George Leppla
> wrote:

> How about the air raid drills in school. Sit under your desk or in the
> hall against the wall with your head down, eyes closed and your hands
> over your ears. As good a position as any to meet your maker. <vbg>

We did the 'under your desk' version, which is surprisingly like the
earthquake drills of today.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 25, 5:39*pm, Janet > wrote:
> In article >, says...
>

> > Janet wrote:
> > > In article <2012052317112340099-xxx@yyyzzz>, says...

> > > * *No problem, we'll eat John.

> > > * Janet

> > Eww! With a gammy leg??

> * You won't notice once it's been *minced.
>
> * Janet

Having only seen the phrase in print, before Monty Python enlightened
me, I always thought it was pronounced game leg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:
> On Fri, 25 May 2012 07:17:12 -0500, George Leppla
> > wrote:
>

>> I was given the task of cleaning up a property when an elderly relative
>> died. In the 60's, she had built a bomb shelter and in there were cases
>> and cases of very large metal canisters of flour, beans, rice, etc.
>> There were canisters of seed wheat and oats and other survivalist
>> supplies. There were canisters of medical supplies, soap, eating
>> utensils and instructions books that included lots of ideas about how to
>> use the empty canisters. All was about 40 years old.
>>
>> It was an interesting snapshot of a time when people lived in fear of a
>> Russian nuclear attack. Sad that the same fear still exists.
>>
>> The reasons change but the fear lives on. Some people are just made
>> that way I guess.

> 40 year? 55-60 wouldn't have surprised me, but 40 does.
>
> I was a kid during the cold war and distinctly remember feeling scared
> that we could be at war at any time. When my grandparents (who lived
> next door to us) built a new 4 car garage, they added a way to go out
> the back of the existing 3 car garage by building an airlock type room
> between buildings and called a bomb shelter. There's no way it could
> have been a bomb shelter because it had two doors with windows in them
> and it couldn't have held all of us unless we were standing up
> shoulder to shoulder. There were no provisions or bathroom facilities
> either, but that's what they called it. As a little kid who didn't
> know the details of a real bomb shelter, that was enough to give me
> peace of mind. I never realized it was a joke and they only called it
> a bomb shelter because it was partially underground.

I always think of the bomb, fallout, shelter, because I lived across the
street from the first home shelter. The home was built sturdy all around.
Steel roof.

http://zekfrivolous.com/shelter/Plea...20combined.pdf

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/05/12 11:28, Dr. John Burge wrote:
> We want to store rice and beans in a large quantity for feeding
> large groups but have held off because of the high potential of little
> critters often found in raw rice and wheat or corn products - flour and
> corn meal for instance. Does anyone have a tried and true method of
> storing a large quantity rice (100 lb sacks) for a long period of time
> (months and years)? Thanks.

Yes, for years, no problems. Those little critters found in grains and
beans need oxygen too to live. Divide your rice and dried beans to
smaller packs and vacuum-seal it.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&rh=n...uckduckgo-d-20

There are smaller and bigger vacuum sealers, some work better than the
other sealers... you choose.

There is no perfect vacuum that can be man-made, especially not in a
kitchen. There'll still be some oxygen in your vacuumed bags, albeit
very, very little, and it'll prevent the little critters from eating
your beans and multiplying once they die due to the lack of oxygen,
soon after vacuum-sealing.

To prevent even that, take the vacuum beans bags down to your
underground cellar where temperature is lower than on the surface. The
little critters who will stil use the little oxygen that remained in
bags depending on how low the temperature is will them immobile,
dormant, and they are heading to a certain death.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George Leppla > wrote:

> BTW - this was just outside of Annapolis, MD... about 40 miles from
> Washington, DC and less then 5 miles from the US Naval Academy. Aunt
> Jane was pretty sure that if they "dropped the big one" it was going to
> be dropped somewhere close to her.

Aunt Jane was a wise lady.

> How about the air raid drills in school. Sit under your desk or in the
> hall against the wall with your head down, eyes closed and your hands
> over your ears. As good a position as any to meet your maker. <vbg>

I lived on what was then touted as "The World's Largest Naval Ammunition
Depot". For the life of me, I can't remember the duck-and-cover drills.
My school years there spanned from '52 until past the Cuban missile
crisis. Perhaps the school district logically thought out the threat and
enacted, "Why bother?" to duck-and-cover.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2012 12:08 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

> Freezing doesn't help, insect eggs routinely survive long fridgid
> winters, in fact many insects eggs need to be frozen to hatch. Heat
> will kill insect eggs, microwave raw rice.

I think the advice varies. As an example, I used to keep fancy mice as
pets. The bedding I used was kept in the freezer for at least a week,
but more if I could plan ahead. This would keep mites or other nasties
that get into that material out of it. I never had mites in my mice
tank. On the other hand, some people would put their bedding in the
oven or microwave before using it. I think for some nasties, either
method works.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/25/2012 7:59 PM, Michael OConnor wrote:
> Youtube is our friend. This episode is available in three parts:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuj2yuoC3PY
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU7v1...feature=relmfu
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSwrI...feature=relmfu

Thanks Michael. Fun watch.
"I wonder what kind of people we really are. The kind of people we are
just underneath the skin. A lot of naked wild animals who would claw
their neighbors alive just for the privilege."