Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tobacco farming in 1959

A Moose in Love > wrote:
> On May 20, 6:08 pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:55:10 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love
>>
>> > wrote:
>>> I find tobacco to be a fascinating crop. This 30 minute movie shows
>>> things as they used to be in 1959. We purchased our farm in 1961, so
>>> the technology was similar. Nowadays, they have priming aids; you can
>>> sit down while picking tobacco as the machine takes you along. They
>>> also have priming machines which pick the tobacco.
>>> Other technologies also have come into play. There are no more
>>> tiers. Their job was fazed out long ago. Now there is a
>>> proliferation of bulk kilns as opposed to stick kilns. AND the
>>> tobacco industry in the Norfolk county and area has decreased quite a
>>> bit. Nowadays, there is no more cooking for the workers. They have
>>> to buy groceries themselves, and cook for themselves. It's more about
>>> the bottom dollar these days.
>>> 'The Back Breaking Leaf': enjoy
>>> http://www.nfb.ca/film/the_back-breaking_leaf

>> It is interesting, but I'd rather see tobacco farmers plant a more
>> acceptable food crop rather than something that poisons people. Yes,
>> it does provide jobs, but that can be phased out to something better.

> I think that many former tobacco farmers are getting into peanuts and
> blueberries.
> Ginseng is also big out there, but the ginseng tends to make the land
> very lousy. The fertility of the land is harmed by that crop.

Yes but tobacco tax generates big money. 1 billion in pa, 1.5 billion in
Texas, annually.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 8:50*pm, gregz > wrote:

> A Moose in Love > wrote:
>
> > On May 20, 6:08 pm, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> >> On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:55:10 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

> >> It is interesting, but I'd rather see tobacco farmers plant a more
> >> acceptable food crop rather than something that poisons people. *Yes,
> >> it does provide jobs, but that can be phased out to something better.

> > I think that many former tobacco farmers are getting into peanuts and
> > blueberries.
> > Ginseng is also big out there, but the ginseng tends to make the land
> > very lousy. *The fertility of the land is harmed by that crop.

> Yes but tobacco tax generates big money. 1 billion in pa, 1.5 billion in
> Texas, annually.
>
> Greg

My grandfather always raised tobacco as a cash crop although he never
smoked, dipped, nor chewed.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:02:45 -0700 (PDT), "
>My grandfather always raised tobacco as a cash crop although he never
>smoked, dipped, nor chewed.

Bloody drug dealers, each and every last one of 'em!! :-(

A successful dealer is rarely a user too!

John Kuthe...