Old 21-05-2012, 02:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tobacco farming in 1959

A Moose in Love wrote:
On May 20, 6:08 pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Sun, 20 May 2012 12:55:10 -0700 (PDT), A Moose in Love

wrote:
I find tobacco to be a fascinating crop. This 30 minute movie shows
things as they used to be in 1959. We purchased our farm in 1961, so
the technology was similar. Nowadays, they have priming aids; you can
sit down while picking tobacco as the machine takes you along. They
also have priming machines which pick the tobacco.
Other technologies also have come into play. There are no more
tiers. Their job was fazed out long ago. Now there is a
proliferation of bulk kilns as opposed to stick kilns. AND the
tobacco industry in the Norfolk county and area has decreased quite a
bit. Nowadays, there is no more cooking for the workers. They have
to buy groceries themselves, and cook for themselves. It's more about
the bottom dollar these days.
'The Back Breaking Leaf': enjoy
http://www.nfb.ca/film/the_back-breaking_leaf

It is interesting, but I'd rather see tobacco farmers plant a more
acceptable food crop rather than something that poisons people. Yes,
it does provide jobs, but that can be phased out to something better.

I think that many former tobacco farmers are getting into peanuts and
blueberries.
Ginseng is also big out there, but the ginseng tends to make the land
very lousy. The fertility of the land is harmed by that crop.

Yes but tobacco tax generates big money. 1 billion in pa, 1.5 billion in
Texas, annually.

Greg

Old 21-05-2012, 03:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

It is interesting, but I'd rather see tobacco farmers plant a more
acceptable food crop rather than something that poisons people. *Yes,
it does provide jobs, but that can be phased out to something better.

I think that many former tobacco farmers are getting into peanuts and
blueberries.
Ginseng is also big out there, but the ginseng tends to make the land
very lousy. *The fertility of the land is harmed by that crop.

Yes but tobacco tax generates big money. 1 billion in pa, 1.5 billion in
Texas, annually.

Greg

My grandfather always raised tobacco as a cash crop although he never
smoked, dipped, nor chewed.
Old 21-05-2012, 04:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 19:02:45 -0700 (PDT), "
My grandfather always raised tobacco as a cash crop although he never
smoked, dipped, nor chewed.

Bloody drug dealers, each and every last one of 'em!! :-(

A successful dealer is rarely a user too!

John Kuthe...