Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default Hey, all you people with real backyards

The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
visit you in your yard.

You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index

Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.

Some of the pictures are amazing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 8:11*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> visit you in your yard.
>
> You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
>
> Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>
> Some of the pictures are amazing.

LOL. My fence keeps the deer out - we mostly don't appreciate them.
The only wildlife I have in the backyard is a family of rabbits - I
don't know why they are in my yard, I don't even have a garden,
whereas my neighbors have two large gardens. ;-)

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/05/2012 11:07 AM, Nancy2 wrote:

> LOL. My fence keeps the deer out - we mostly don't appreciate them.
> The only wildlife I have in the backyard is a family of rabbits - I
> don't know why they are in my yard, I don't even have a garden,
> whereas my neighbors have two large gardens. ;-)

We have all sorts of wildlife coming through our yard, blue herons,
Canada geese, turkeys, deer, rabbits, coyotes, snapping turtles...
Last week I had to dispatch a ground hog who was determined to burrow
under our house.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-21, Dave Smith > wrote:

> We have all sorts of wildlife coming through our yard, blue herons,
> Canada geese, turkeys, deer, rabbits, coyotes, snapping turtles...
> Last week I had to dispatch a ground hog who was determined to burrow
> under our house.

Likewise.

Bears, deer, rabbits, geese, ducks, possums, elk, eagles, raccoons,
mountain lions, hawks, badgers, buzzards, trout..... if it lives in the CO
Rockies, I've seen it come through our backyard. Hell, even the trout
are no further than 50 ft away. I gotta go some distance to see
mountain goats, bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, bison, yaks, musk
ox, but can watch them from the road. Strangely enough, I've been
here almost 5 yrs and yet to see a single snake. Go figure.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 21, 10:41*am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:
> > The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> > visit you in your yard.

> The first three pictures in the set are 3-4 hours after the fawn was
> born in my back yard down by the river. *The pictures were taken from
> inside my kitchen window (hence the reflections and spots).
>
> You have to look hard in a couple of the pictures to pick out the
> fawn.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz/sets/72157629833579270/'
>
> The next day Mom figured she'd drop him off for me to babysit, so I
> was able to get up close and personal.
>
> -sw

That picture of the Fawn would be perfect for the NYT. You should
send it in.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Bears, deer, rabbits, geese, ducks, possums, elk, eagles, raccoons,
> mountain lions, hawks, badgers, buzzards, trout..... if it lives in the CO
> Rockies, I've seen it come through our backyard. Hell, even the trout
> are no further than 50 ft away. I gotta go some distance to see
> mountain goats, bighorn sheep, pronghorn antelope, bison, yaks, musk
> ox, but can watch them from the road.

Folks have imported yaks and musk oxen to Colorado? I thought the
climate was too mild for musk oxen to thrive there. High up in the
hills I take it to mimic their artic origins.

So far I have only seen one yak and it was at a state fair. The sign
said "This Yak does not know she is not a cow". After a close look,
neither did I. I've seen some cows that hairy.

Here in the Chicago burbs we have less variety. Skunks, coyote,
beavers, muskrats, white tail deer, rabbits, squirrels, rats, mice,
geese, ducks, swans, cormorants, hawks, lots of smaller birds. I don't
know if the corvids we have are ravens or crows.

There a system of drainage ponds and forest preserves. The beavers
love the drainage ponds. They keep getting relocated to the forest
preserves and they swim the drainage system back to ponds and start
chewing down small trees. In a few years we've gone from none to plenty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 6:11*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> visit you in your yard.
>
> You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
>
> Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>
> Some of the pictures are amazing.

Hey- my cat killed a rodent last night and left the guts on the rug
outside the slider. Does that count?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
>visit you in your yard.
>
>You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index
>
>Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>
>Some of the pictures are amazing.

I think not... not when the first things I see upon clicking on that
site is that Dumbo eared lying A-rab and his hippo assed America hater
harem hoe... maybe were it Nat Geo but not that prejudiced rag. Anyway
all my critter pictures are of common animals, none are a rareity.
But thanks for asking, I truly appreciate you thinking of me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 May 2012 12:53:43 -0700 (PDT), merryb >
wrote:

>On May 20, 6:11*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
>> visit you in your yard.
>>
>> You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
>>
>> Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>>
>> Some of the pictures are amazing.

>Hey- my cat killed a rodent last night and left the guts on the rug
>outside the slider. Does that count?

Sure, but you need to identify the animal. Mother's day about 10 yrs
ago our cat showed me up and trotted right up to momma with a [very
dead] mink in her mouth.

She must have been extra proud of it, because her usual method was a
few choice bits on the welcome mat.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/20/2012 9:11 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> visit you in your yard.
>
> You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index
>
> Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>
> Some of the pictures are amazing.

Thank you for sharing that! I love it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 May 2012 08:07:12 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

> On May 20, 8:11*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
> > The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> > visit you in your yard.
> >
> > You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
> >
> > Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
> >
> > Some of the pictures are amazing.

> LOL. My fence keeps the deer out - we mostly don't appreciate them.
> The only wildlife I have in the backyard is a family of rabbits - I
> don't know why they are in my yard, I don't even have a garden,
> whereas my neighbors have two large gardens. ;-)

Maybe they live in your neighbors yards and vacation in yours.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Mon, 21 May 2012 08:07:12 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:

> > LOL. My fence keeps the deer out - we mostly don't appreciate them.
> > The only wildlife I have in the backyard is a family of rabbits - I
> > don't know why they are in my yard, I don't even have a garden,
> > whereas my neighbors have two large gardens. ;-)
> >

> Maybe they live in your neighbors yards and vacation in yours.

They're using her yard as a base of operations. It's a
Pakistan/Afghanistan type deal. She's harboring bunny terrorists. There
oughta be a law!

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 22, 2:27*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:
> > The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> > visit you in your yard.

> > You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.

> >http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...

> Anybody else make it? *They didn't take my newborn fawn, but they
> published my Ironclad beetle.
>
> They didn't take the fawn. *But they did like my Ironclad Beetle at
> least. *I lied - That's my front porch, not my back yard!
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
>
> Page #1 Item #6. *That must mean they REALLY liked it ;-)
>
> -sw

I'm surprised you didn't eat it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chemo the Clown wrote:

> On May 22, 2:27 pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> > On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:
> > > The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> > > visit you in your yard.

> > > You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.

> > >http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...

> > Anybody else make it? They didn't take my newborn fawn, but they
> > published my Ironclad beetle.
> >
> > They didn't take the fawn. But they did like my Ironclad Beetle at
> > least. I lied - That's my front porch, not my back yard!
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
> >
> > Page #1 Item #6. That must mean they REALLY liked it ;-)
> >
> > -sw

> I'm surprised you didn't eat it.

It would make an interesting new Steve sandwich.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 22, 2:27*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:

> They didn't take the fawn. *But they did like my Ironclad Beetle at
> least. *I lied - That's my front porch, not my back yard!
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
>
> Page #1 Item #6. *That must mean they REALLY liked it ;-)

Nice picture. I don't want to burst your bubble, but they add the
newer pictures to the front of the line, not the back.

Your spider avatar is really cool. do you still have that picture in
more pixels so it would show up on the NYT??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags wrote:
>
>> The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
>> visit you in your yard.
>>
>> You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index

> Anybody else make it? They didn't take my newborn fawn, but they
> published my Ironclad beetle.
>
> They didn't take the fawn. But they did like my Ironclad Beetle at
> least. I lied - That's my front porch, not my back yard!
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...603b0ccb00001f
>
> Page #1 Item #6. That must mean they REALLY liked it ;-)
>
> -sw

That's pretty cool. I have almost unburied my new camera and have
found my old one. NOT that I have seen anything interesting here,
except a juvenile coyote loping across the street. I wonder where
the deer went? I also wonder what folks shoot at around here and
hope that isn't related to the disappearance of the deer.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
>visit you in your yard.
>
>You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>
>http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index
>
>Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>
>Some of the pictures are amazing.

I submitted one last night. First photo on the first page. Woot!! Woot
For now at least until a better photo is submitted.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...603b601b000055

or

http://tinyurl.com/8xmbrg2

koko
James Beard

www.kokoscornerblog.com

Natural Watkins Spices
www.apinchofspices.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:48:37 -0700, wrote:

> On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > wrote:
>
> >The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> >visit you in your yard.
> >
> >You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index

> >Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
> >
> >Some of the pictures are amazing.

> I submitted one last night. First photo on the first page. Woot!! Woot
> For now at least until a better photo is submitted.
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...603b601b000055
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/8xmbrg2

That's a hummingbird moth? I've never heard of that, much less seen
one. Are they common down there? Mom lived in Ramona for 25-30 years
and she never mentioned them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Wed, 23 May 2012 16:48:37 -0700, wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
>> >visit you in your yard.
>> >
>> >You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index

>> >Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>> >
>> >Some of the pictures are amazing.

>> I submitted one last night. First photo on the first page. Woot!! Woot
>> For now at least until a better photo is submitted.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...603b601b000055
>>
>> or
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/8xmbrg2
>>

>That's a hummingbird moth? I've never heard of that, much less seen
>one. Are they common down there? Mom lived in Ramona for 25-30 years
>and she never mentioned them.

I don't think they are common anywhere, but they cover all of the US,
except maybe AK.
http://www.squidoo.com/naturally_native_clearwing_moth

Turn off the sound if you run the video-- the 'music' sounds like
nails on a chalkboard to me.
Jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 23/05/2012 7:48 PM, Chemo the Clown wrote:

>> Creepy! Spiders are cool creatures though, in spite of the irrational fear.
>>
>> MartyB

> yeah and they'll write out math problems, draw maps, design building
> and the list goes on.

They are fascinating creatures.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHzdsFiBbFc
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 23, 5:02*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On May 20, 8:11*pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > The New York Times is asking for pictures

> Is your backyard imaginary?
>
> --Bryan

LOL! No, I live in a condo and don't have a "yard" per se. I see
lots of wildlife though. Owls, Deer, Raccoons, Grey Whales, Sea
Lions, Harbor Seals, Cormorants, Sea Gulls, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 24 May 2012 12:18:34 -0400, Jim Elbrecht >
wrote:

> I don't think they are common anywhere, but they cover all of the US,
> except maybe AK.
> http://www.squidoo.com/naturally_native_clearwing_moth
>
> Turn off the sound if you run the video-- the 'music' sounds like
> nails on a chalkboard to me.

Thanks! That's an interesting looking moth, huge too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-21, Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> Folks have imported yaks and musk oxen to Colorado? I thought the
> climate was too mild for musk oxen to thrive there. High up in the
> hills I take it to mimic their artic origins.

Yeah. There are several yak ranches in the CO Rockies. An
alternative lifestyle, I suppose. Like llama ranching. I've only
seen one musk ox, on a cattle ranch at about 9K ft. Prolly jes a goof
acquisition by the rancher.

> There a system of drainage ponds and forest preserves. The beavers
> love the drainage ponds.

That's another thing I HAVEN'T seen. A beaver. The Arkansas R is
already a whitewater rafting river a mere 20 mi from the source, so
way too big fer beavers, here at 40 mi from source. I'm sure there
are beavers in some in the slower feeder streams, where they pass
through huge aspen groves, about 5-10 mi west of here.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-21, Brooklyn1 <Gravesend1> wrote:

> all my critter pictures are of common animals, none are a rareity.
> But thanks for asking, I truly appreciate you thinking of me.

Which is truly amazing anyone did, as there is nothing even remotely
"real" about your yard.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Support labeling GMOs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/05/2012 9:27 AM, notbob wrote:
love the drainage ponds.

> That's another thing I HAVEN'T seen. A beaver. The Arkansas R is
> already a whitewater rafting river a mere 20 mi from the source, so
> way too big fer beavers, here at 40 mi from source. I'm sure there
> are beavers in some in the slower feeder streams, where they pass
> through huge aspen groves, about 5-10 mi west of here.

There are beavers living in a pond in the farm behind our house. I have
not seen any of those beavers yet, but I have seen the dam they built
and the gnawed off trees. They are doomed not to become too prolific
because there is a tree nursery between us and them. Farmer John as a
couple properties in a row with lots of nice saplings, the sort of
things that beavers love to gnaw on.

Apparently, beavers are starting to re-populate the Niagara peninsula
and the people whose property they are living on are not happy. They
cause a lot of problems.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

wrote:

> > On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
> > >visit you in your yard.
> > >
> > >You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index

> > >Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
> > >
> > >Some of the pictures are amazing.

> > I submitted one last night. First photo on the first page. Woot!! Woot
> > For now at least until a better photo is submitted.
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...603b601b000055
> >
> > or
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/8xmbrg2
> >

> That's a hummingbird moth? I've never heard of that, much less seen
> one. Are they common down there? Mom lived in Ramona for 25-30 years
> and she never mentioned them.

They're commonplace in North Florida. They're night flyers though, not
day flyers, so you seldom see them. Shine a light on the flowerbed at
night though and you see all these glowing eyes that if you get close
you realize are from moths that are pretty much the same size and shape
as hummingbirds and are doing pretty much what hummingbirds do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22/05/2012 1:07 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
> On May 20, 8:11 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>> The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
>> visit you in your yard.
>>
>> You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
>>
>> Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>>
>> Some of the pictures are amazing.

> LOL. My fence keeps the deer out - we mostly don't appreciate them.
> The only wildlife I have in the backyard is a family of rabbits - I
> don't know why they are in my yard, I don't even have a garden,
> whereas my neighbors have two large gardens. ;-)
>
> N.

Being in an urban area, my backyard is relatively small. About all you
see in the way of native animals is the ubiquitous possum, an arboreal
creature, of which there are two common varieties in my area, Brushtail
and Ringtail. My Jack Russell Terrier ensures they remain in their
aboreal habitat. They use the overhead electricity wires to migrate from
tree to tree using adjacent houses to access the electricity grid where
no trees are close enough to the wires.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum

In my immediate area, the main bird of note is the Bellbird or, as it is
more correctly known, Bell Myna. The area in which I live is known
coloquially as the Bellbird Area of Blackburn. Because of the high level
of trees in the suburb, including the area around Blackburn Lake,
birdlife is very prolific. The Bell Myna makes itself known by its
distinctive "bell like" call.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Miner

Sorry, no kangaroo, wombats or other unique Australian wildlife here as
the urban density is too great for them.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Krypsis" <krypsis@> wrote in message

> Being in an urban area, my backyard is relatively small. About all you see
> in the way of native animals is the ubiquitous possum, an arboreal
> creature, of which there are two common varieties in my area, Brushtail
> and Ringtail. My Jack Russell Terrier ensures they remain in their aboreal
> habitat. They use the overhead electricity wires to migrate from tree to
> tree using adjacent houses to access the electricity grid where no trees
> are close enough to the wires.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum

Lovely animals if I see them in camping grounds :-)) I've fed many of them
in the Riverside Camping ground at Tumut but thank heavens we don't have any
of them here.

> In my immediate area, the main bird of note is the Bellbird or, as it is
> more correctly known, Bell Myna.

OOOOOHHH! You lucky, lucky person! I adore bellbirds.

The area in which I live is known
> coloquially as the Bellbird Area of Blackburn. Because of the high level
> of trees in the suburb, including the area around Blackburn Lake, birdlife
> is very prolific. The Bell Myna makes itself known by its distinctive
> "bell like" call.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Miner
>
> Sorry, no kangaroo, wombats or other unique Australian wildlife here as
> the urban density is too great for them.

I get kangaroos but since I shot one which used to come in each night with
it's huge similar sized big male mate, they've stayed outside the garden
proper. They are in abundance out in the paddocks. We do have snakes
(Eastern Brown and Tiger) and Blue Tongued Lizards and wild ducks and lots
of different birds including herons which have returned for the 3rd year ina
row to nest. And there is at least 1 wombat around as I saw a scat on the
cattle grid and we also have antechinus and we've had one water rat.

Senior Member

Location: WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Clarke[_2_] View Post
In article ,
says...

wrote:

The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
visit you in your yard.

You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.

Species Close to Home - Interactive Feature - NYTimes.com

[...]

I see them during the day all the time here in WI. If you look at the pic and notice the flower. I don't know what you call the flower but it has a citrussy smell. I'll see a hummingbird moth one out four times I pass a cluster of those flowers on my road. Cool critter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:48:58 +1000, Krypsis >
wrote:

>On 22/05/2012 1:07 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>> On May 20, 8:11 pm, ImStillMags > wrote:
>>> The New York Times is asking for pictures of the wildlife you have
>>> visit you in your yard.
>>>
>>> You can submit a photo and see what has been submitted here.
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...ers-photos.htm...
>>>
>>> Sheldon could send them some good pictures of his menagerie.
>>>
>>> Some of the pictures are amazing.

>> LOL. My fence keeps the deer out - we mostly don't appreciate them.
>> The only wildlife I have in the backyard is a family of rabbits - I
>> don't know why they are in my yard, I don't even have a garden,
>> whereas my neighbors have two large gardens. ;-)
>>
>> N.
>>

>Being in an urban area, my backyard is relatively small. About all you
>see in the way of native animals is the ubiquitous possum, an arboreal
>creature, of which there are two common varieties in my area, Brushtail
>and Ringtail. My Jack Russell Terrier ensures they remain in their
>aboreal habitat. They use the overhead electricity wires to migrate from
>tree to tree using adjacent houses to access the electricity grid where
>no trees are close enough to the wires.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum
>
>In my immediate area, the main bird of note is the Bellbird or, as it is
>more correctly known, Bell Myna. The area in which I live is known
>coloquially as the Bellbird Area of Blackburn. Because of the high level
>of trees in the suburb, including the area around Blackburn Lake,
>birdlife is very prolific. The Bell Myna makes itself known by its
>distinctive "bell like" call.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Miner
>
>Sorry, no kangaroo, wombats or other unique Australian wildlife here as
>the urban density is too great for them.

Hmm, thought they'd be photos you've actually taken... I can find a
wiki picture of an African elephant and claim there's a herd in my
yard.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21/08/2012 1:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:48:58 +1000, Krypsis >
> wrote:

>>> LOL. My fence keeps the deer out - we mostly don't appreciate them.
>>> The only wildlife I have in the backyard is a family of rabbits - I
>>> don't know why they are in my yard, I don't even have a garden,
>>> whereas my neighbors have two large gardens. ;-)
>>>
>>> N.
>>>

>> Being in an urban area, my backyard is relatively small. About all you
>> see in the way of native animals is the ubiquitous possum, an arboreal
>> creature, of which there are two common varieties in my area, Brushtail
>> and Ringtail. My Jack Russell Terrier ensures they remain in their
>> aboreal habitat. They use the overhead electricity wires to migrate from
>> tree to tree using adjacent houses to access the electricity grid where
>> no trees are close enough to the wires.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum
>>
>> In my immediate area, the main bird of note is the Bellbird or, as it is
>> more correctly known, Bell Myna. The area in which I live is known
>> coloquially as the Bellbird Area of Blackburn. Because of the high level
>> of trees in the suburb, including the area around Blackburn Lake,
>> birdlife is very prolific. The Bell Myna makes itself known by its
>> distinctive "bell like" call.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Miner
>>
>> Sorry, no kangaroo, wombats or other unique Australian wildlife here as
>> the urban density is too great for them.

> Hmm, thought they'd be photos you've actually taken... I can find a
> wiki picture of an African elephant and claim there's a herd in my
> yard.

But I wouldn't believe you.

The possums are nocturnal. I don't have the skills or equipment to take
a decent photo of them even if they would hang around long enough to
allow me to do it.

The Bellbirds, on the other hand, are fairly small and usually hidden in
the tree canopy. I would need a lot of time, patience and a decent
camera with extreme telephoto lens and tripod to even have a chance of
taking a decent shot. I can hear the bellbirds all the time however.

Look up Balckburn, Vic, Australia in Google Maps. The Bellbird Area of
Blackburn is the rather wooded area bounded by the rail line,
Middleborough Road and the area around Blackburn lake. It's a creek
valley in which the trees haven't been entirely sacrificed to housing,
an unusual concept these days.

--

Krypsis
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 01:49:47 +1000, Krypsis >
wrote:

>On 21/08/2012 1:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> On Mon, 20 Aug 2012 13:48:58 +1000, Krypsis >
>> wrote:

>>> Being in an urban area, my backyard is relatively small. About all you
>>> see in the way of native animals is the ubiquitous possum, an arboreal
>>> creature, of which there are two common varieties in my area, Brushtail
>>> and Ringtail. My Jack Russell Terrier ensures they remain in their
>>> aboreal habitat. They use the overhead electricity wires to migrate from
>>> tree to tree using adjacent houses to access the electricity grid where
>>> no trees are close enough to the wires.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possum
>>>
>>> In my immediate area, the main bird of note is the Bellbird or, as it is
>>> more correctly known, Bell Myna. The area in which I live is known
>>> coloquially as the Bellbird Area of Blackburn. Because of the high level
>>> of trees in the suburb, including the area around Blackburn Lake,
>>> birdlife is very prolific. The Bell Myna makes itself known by its
>>> distinctive "bell like" call.
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bell_Miner
>>>
>>> Sorry, no kangaroo, wombats or other unique Australian wildlife here as
>>> the urban density is too great for them.

>> Hmm, thought they'd be photos you've actually taken... I can find a
>> wiki picture of an African elephant and claim there's a herd in my
>> yard.

>But I wouldn't believe you.

Goose/Gander

>The possums are nocturnal. I don't have the skills or equipment to take
>a decent photo of them even if they would hang around long enough to
>allow me to do it.
>
>The Bellbirds, on the other hand, are fairly small and usually hidden in
>the tree canopy. I would need a lot of time, patience and a decent
>camera with extreme telephoto lens and tripod to even have a chance of
>taking a decent shot. I can hear the bellbirds all the time however.

Nonsence, photographing small birds at a distance is very easy, I've
taken pictures of many birds at a great distance and in terrible
light, amazingly today's digicams work wonderfully well. Takes no
special skills, equipment, or undue patience to capture ordinary
images of wildlife, I do it all the time... no one is asking for Nat
Geo precision. I keep an ordinary low end digicam within arms reach
and don't use a tripod... todays cameras have great built-in telephoto
capability and correct for most user errors automatically, even for
unsteadyness. My camera is nearly ten years old and still takes
excellent pictures, the new ones are fantastic, and cost a lot less.
'Possums are easy, nightime doesn't bother me, I have a night vision
early warning system:
http://i46.tinypic.com/rc4wte.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/k0of2w.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/2v8269h.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> The only elephant that can be heard nearby is my cellphone ringtone. It
> always turns heads! I answer "Hello elephant. Yes. Peanuts. No, I won't
> forget. It's on the list! Oh ye of little faith!"
>
> Warning: ELEPHANT IN AISLE 4. LOL!

LOL! That's pretty funny, Andy, if you have elephants trumpeting for your
ringtone. hahahaha

Gary

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 12:37*pm, Andy > wrote:
> Gary > wrote:
> > Andy wrote:

> >> The only elephant that can be heard nearby is my cellphone ringtone.

> It
> >> always turns heads! I answer "Hello elephant. Yes. Peanuts. No, I

> won't
> >> forget. It's on the list! Oh ye of little faith!"

> >> Warning: ELEPHANT IN AISLE 4. LOL!

> > LOL! That's pretty funny, Andy, if you have elephants trumpeting for

> your
> > ringtone. hahahaha

> > Gary

> Gary,
>
> It certainly separates me from the cellphone crowd!
>
> Sometimes, raising my hand, I'll announce "It's for me!" much to the
> relief of a wary public! ))
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I have a friend whose ringtone was cats fighting- it was pretty funny!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> I'd rather be squished by an elephant than clawed and fang'd to death by
> little lions!!! ;-)

Thanks for sharing. I assume when your time comes, you'll opt for a
big bottle of pills rather than a messy gunshot to the temple?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 20, 4:17*pm, Andy > wrote:
> George M. Middius > wrote:
>
> > Andy wrote:

> >> I'd rather be squished by an elephant than clawed and fang'd to death
> >> by little lions!!! ;-)

> > Thanks for sharing. I assume when your time comes, you'll opt for a
> > big bottle of pills rather than a messy gunshot to the temple?

> I don't like your choices. C'mon, how would that look on my resume?!?
>
> I more prefer death by stupidity. ;-)
>
> Andy

and you're dying a very slow death aren't ya?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 01:49:47 +1000, Krypsis >
> wrote:
>
>> On 21/08/2012 1:07 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:

>>> Hmm, thought they'd be photos you've actually taken... I can find a
>>> wiki picture of an African elephant and claim there's a herd in my
>>> yard.

>> But I wouldn't believe you.

> Goose/Gander
>
>> The possums are nocturnal. I don't have the skills or equipment to take
>> a decent photo of them even if they would hang around long enough to
>> allow me to do it.
>>
>> The Bellbirds, on the other hand, are fairly small and usually hidden in
>> the tree canopy. I would need a lot of time, patience and a decent
>> camera with extreme telephoto lens and tripod to even have a chance of
>> taking a decent shot. I can hear the bellbirds all the time however.

> Nonsence, photographing small birds at a distance is very easy, I've
> taken pictures of many birds at a great distance and in terrible
> light, amazingly today's digicams work wonderfully well. Takes no
> special skills, equipment, or undue patience to capture ordinary
> images of wildlife, I do it all the time... no one is asking for Nat
> Geo precision. I keep an ordinary low end digicam within arms reach
> and don't use a tripod... todays cameras have great built-in telephoto
> capability and correct for most user errors automatically, even for
> unsteadyness. My camera is nearly ten years old and still takes
> excellent pictures, the new ones are fantastic, and cost a lot less.
> 'Possums are easy, nightime doesn't bother me, I have a night vision
> early warning system:
> http://i46.tinypic.com/rc4wte.jpg
> http://i50.tinypic.com/k0of2w.jpg
> http://i45.tinypic.com/2v8269h.jpg

Cool! Your cats seem to be pretty calm about it.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> On Sun, 20 May 2012 18:11:50 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...tos.html#index

>>> I submitted one last night. First photo on the first page. Woot!! Woot
>>> For now at least until a better photo is submitted.
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/s...603b601b000055
>>>
>>> or
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/8xmbrg2
>>>

>> That's a hummingbird moth? I've never heard of that, much less seen
>> one. Are they common down there? Mom lived in Ramona for 25-30 years
>> and she never mentioned them.

> They're commonplace in North Florida. They're night flyers though, not
> day flyers, so you seldom see them. Shine a light on the flowerbed at
> night though and you see all these glowing eyes that if you get close
> you realize are from moths that are pretty much the same size and shape
> as hummingbirds and are doing pretty much what hummingbirds do.

Hummingbird moths are not all night fliers (although most moths are). I
saw a Carolina wren wrestling with a hummingbird moth last week on my
patio. The moth was interested in creeping phlox that borders my patio.
The Carolina wren tried to eat the moth! The moth was just about as
big as the wren. It managed to escape.

Jill