Posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

Default Safe to eat or not

Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
separately the stems and the leaves.

She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat them
please?

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 8:23*am, "D. T. Green" > wrote:
> Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
> separately the stems and the leaves.
>
> She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat them
> please?

I eat beet leaves all the time. My wife will add them when she makes
beet salad. Not sure what you mean by stems though.
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

"D. T. Green" > wrote in
:

> Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
> separately the stems and the leaves.
>
> She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat
> them please?

If in doubt chuck 'em out.

NEVER take advice in a newsgroup when asking about what is, or is not safe
to eat. There are people who would love to lead you up the wrong path.

http://tinyurl.com/c6j54rd

I think the above url is ok.
Baz
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
spamtrap1888 > wrote:
>On May 20, 8:23=A0am, "D. T. Green" > wrote:
>> Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
>> separately the stems and the leaves.
>>
>> She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat th=

>em
>> please?

>I eat beet leaves all the time. My wife will add them when she makes
>beet salad. Not sure what you mean by stems though.

There are varieties of beet grown specifically for their leaves
and stems, and young beetroot leaves are sold in supermarkets as
a salad ingredient. While Wikipedia isn't perfectly reliable,
this page looks pretty solid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beet

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

On May 20, 5:56*pm, Sacha > wrote:
> On 2012-05-20 16:23:14 +0100, "D. T. Green" > said:
>
> > Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
> > separately the stems and the leaves.

> > She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat them
> > please?

> Here's a US recipe for making soup with themhttp://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/beet_greens/
>
> We grow mini packs of beet greens for people to bring on themselves and
> then use as a food in itself. *I think it's something that has fallen
> out of popularity in UK but it's making a comeback!
> --
> Sachawww.hillhousenursery.comwww.hillhousenurseryt earoom.com
> South Devon

YES.
The leaves of beetroot are great as a veg, probably better than the
root, also better than spinach.
I've eaten them for years.
David @ the rain free end of Swansea Bay

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 20 May 2012 17:56:48 +0100, Sacha > wrote:

> We grow mini packs of beet greens for people to bring on themselves and
> then use as a food in itself. I think it's something that has fallen
> out of popularity in UK but it's making a comeback!

I adore beet greens!

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.rec.gardening
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-20 16:15:30 +0000, Baz said:

> "D. T. Green" > wrote in
> :
>
>> Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
>> separately the stems and the leaves.
>>
>> She wants to eat them, how can we find out if it's safe for her to eat
>> them please?

> If in doubt chuck 'em out.

That's always the safest. I sometimes wonder how people figured out a
way to enjoy fugu.

The wife loves beet greens and when she buys them fresh at the store
makes sure to get the ones with them still attached.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking
No Name

In uk.rec.gardening Dave Hill > wrote:
> The leaves of beetroot are great as a veg, probably better than the
> root, also better than spinach.

Interesting, every time I've grown beetroot they've always had something attack the
leaves (look like some kind of beetle holes in them). I know they're edible, but
they've never looked appetising. :-/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 20, 2012 4:04:53 PM UTC-6, (unknown) wrote:
> In uk.rec.gardening Dave Hill > wrote:
> > The leaves of beetroot are great as a veg, probably better than the
> > root, also better than spinach.

> Interesting, every time I've grown beetroot they've always had something attack the
> leaves (look like some kind of beetle holes in them). I know they're edible, but
> they've never looked appetising. :-/

Probably flea beetle damage. Just trim out the damaged part...the leaves are still edible and good. I like both the roots and leaves boiled, drained salted and peppered and sprinkled with vinegar...yummy.

Posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.food.cooking

"D. T. Green" > wrote:

>Young relative as well a boiling up some beetroots, has also cooked
>separately the stems and the leaves.

Beet leaves (American spelling; sorry...) are fine to eat. Swiss Chard is
just beet bred for its foliage. With any greens, fresher is better of
course.

Safe to eat? [email protected] General Cooking 58 08-01-2009 08:43 PM
safe Dimitri General Cooking 12 18-12-2008 12:34 AM
Safe(er) Sushi Ablang Sushi 4 16-07-2007 09:15 PM
Soy is Safe. Ron Vegan 99 29-12-2004 12:53 AM
Is plastic safe any more? [email protected] General Cooking 107 22-12-2004 04:34 PM