Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Grocery List tool - shop fast, shop easy

On 5/21/2012 5:23 PM, S Viemeister wrote:
> On 5/21/2012 5:09 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>> I don't get a cash back bonus on my credit card. But I also don't pay any
>> fees.
>>

> I get a cash back bonus, and I pay no fees.

Ditto, I have two cards like that.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>On Mon, 21 May 2012 16:54:45 -0400, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>> -snip-
>>>
>>>I think she thinks she's paying with her credit card. But if she's
>>>getting cash back at a POS terminal, she's isn't using a credit card.

>> ??? Is that illegal in TX? I've never done it, but every time I
>> use my credit card at Sam's, the terminal asks *twice* if I want cash
>> back.

-snip-

>Discover may be different, especially if it was issues by Sams. Is it
>linked to any bank accounts?

Nope. The Sam's discover card *is* a special case, though. They
don't even take visa or MC in our Sam's. I had chopped up my last
Discover card because they kept calling me to sell me extras--- but
then Sam's offered me $100 to open one of their accounts and I'm a
sucker for cash. This time when Discover started calling I just
blocked their number.

It only pays about 1% on purchases, but it is handy to keep track of
what I'm spending there each month. [I could use it in other stores,
but I don't because my Chase visas all pay 2-5%]

>> OTOH- I think she was talking about the 'cash back' bonus you can get
>> by using a credit card. I'm getting 5% on groceries this quarter--
>> other quarters it might be gas- or something else.

>Oh. Sheesh. She's as bad at reading comprehension as she is at
>writing comprehension.
>
>I just went back a re-read it and no, it still doesn't make any sense
>the way she worded it:
>
>"Maybe different banks have different policies. AFAIC, there's no
>reason to use a debit card (unless you want a cash withdrawal); but I
>just do cash back because it's paid off at the end of the month
>anyway."
>
>She mentions "cash withdrawals" and then "cash back" in the next
>sentence, so it certainly does sound like she's talking about getting
>cash back at the POS terminal. "I just do cash back..."

You could be right. My mind-reading capabilities suck these days.

-snip-

>Anyway: Smoke-grilled chuck end pork tenderloin, pankoed potato
>pancakes, and snap peas for dinner. As soon as I stop trying to
>figure out how people's minds work defectively and get off my ass and
>cook dinner.

I got so tired over it I finally used that box of hamburger helper
that I bought just to show my wife the blurb on the box; "Now tastes
better" -- not 'tastes great' or even 'new flavors' .

I wonder if that was a foreign language ad or what? To me it says-
'We tasted bad before. Still not good, but we're trying'

Some garlic, onion, basil and mozzarella made it work for me.

Jim
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
> I got so tired over it I finally used that box of hamburger helper
> that I bought just to show my wife the blurb on the box; "Now tastes
> better" -- not 'tastes great' or even 'new flavors' .
>
> I wonder if that was a foreign language ad or what? To me it says-
> 'We tasted bad before. Still not good, but we're trying'
>
> Some garlic, onion, basil and mozzarella made it work for me.

Ack! My mom LOVED Hamburger Helper. The only one I could stand to eat was
the Cheeseburger Helper. And really you could make it yourself for far
cheaper or even with a store brand of mac and cheese. I never ate the stuff
after I moved out of my parent's house. Until...

My daughter found some that was gluten free. I can't remember now what they
called it but it was like hash browns and cheese. The end result was soooo
salty that neither of us could eat it, even when I put additional cheese on
it. I can't think of much I have eaten that was truly that bad.

I do know people who eat the stuff. I just can't see why! I think I could
take any of of those flavors and easily make it myself for a lot less money
and probably not much more time.

I'm all for conveniece foods if they are complete, taste good and are good
for you. IMO this is not! Sort of like the first time (as a child) that I
bought a can of Manwich and some buns. Got it home and I was like... Wha?
You have to add *hamburger* to it? Now how hard would it be to can the
stuff all ready to eat? All you'd have to do is heat it. But no. They
don't do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 21 May 2012 15:07:41 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>It would be illegal to program your gas pumps POS terminals to require
>the ZIP code. And the credit card clearinghouses know this. I
>suspect it's one or two branded gas stations chains that do this. And
>they could (and will) be sued with the recent rulings against this
>practice.

It is done often and in different states and different gas companies.
IMO, it is a good security measure. Recently, I lost my corporate gas
card and someone ran up about $600 in charges. All at one station in
two days. If the zip had to be put in, it would have been rejected.
While it did not have to be paid, it was a PITA to get it taken care
of, new card issued, etc.

I really don't care who knows my zip code. It is not a secret and
contains no personal information.

>I'm know. I'm picking nits. But I would file a complaint and not buy
>gas there.

I'd not waste my time. It is not just gas stations, other POS
terminals are asking for the zip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sun, 20 May 2012 23:11:18 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> World Market/Cost Plus asks you for your zip code. Or at least they
>>> did until they started pushing their loyalty program. My answer to
>>> anybody who asks my zip code that doesn't need it is 20500. There is
>>> exactly *one* residence in the 20500 zip code.

>> Hmmm. Does the President have a private zip code?

> Any mail delivered to the White House or the executive complex next
> door uses that zip code.
>
> -sw

Heh! My one brain cell must have kicked in.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 16, 10:51*pm, "Polly Esther" > wrote:
> Since grocery shopping here is a major event, I've enjoyed learning here
> that milk does just fine if frozen. *What a help that has been. Now. *Tell
> me any great tricks you've learned on keeping fruit. *All of the healthy
> heart 'experts' want me to eat lots of it but it's so expensive and spoils
> so quickly. *I do okay with bananas and oranges. *Any help with the others?

Buy no more than you will eat in 3 days, even if it means addtl trips
to the store. I hope you live close to your market. I hit mine
average of 8 times a month. So, it works out fine, especially where
bananas are concerned. I get em pretty green.

Are you using those green bags?

I cut up cantaloupe, pineapple etc and it keeps pretty long in
Tupperware. Maybe you are overbuying quantities?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2012 8:20 PM, Kalmia wrote:

> Buy no more than you will eat in 3 days, even if it means addtl trips
> to the store. I hope you live close to your market. I hit mine
> average of 8 times a month. So, it works out fine, especially where
> bananas are concerned. I get em pretty green.

That works for me. I usually shop for fruit and vegetables at least
twice a week.

> I cut up cantaloupe, pineapple etc and it keeps pretty long in
> Tupperware. Maybe you are overbuying quantities?

I also buy a lot of frozen fruits. They tend to be cheaper than fresh,
available year round, and all I have to do is remember to take them out
ahead of time. AAMAF one of my usual desserts is to put some frozen
fruits in a bowl with some lofat sugar free vanilla yoghurt. Let it sit
for a few minutes and it is a cold, refreshing dessert.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/21/2012 5:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have some bills that are paid automatically but the credit card bill isn't
> one of them. I want to see that bill each month.

Everyone should look at their bills more than monthly. I recently had a
bogus charge and had to have my card cancelled while they investigated.
Since the charge was caught early, the item in question hadn't even
been delivered to the thief yet. Yes, they ordered online and had it
delivered, a big TV. The company where the thief used my credit account
(can't say card because I had it in my possession) looked up the address
and it was a house for sale, so possibly vacant. They were able to
contact UPS to tell them not to deliver it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl > wrote:
> On 5/21/2012 5:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have some bills that are paid automatically but the credit card bill isn't
>> one of them. I want to see that bill each month.

> Everyone should look at their bills more than monthly. I recently had a
> bogus charge and had to have my card cancelled while they investigated.
> Since the charge was caught early, the item in question hadn't even been
> delivered to the thief yet. Yes, they ordered online and had it
> delivered, a big TV. The company where the thief used my credit account
> (can't say card because I had it in my possession) looked up the address
> and it was a house for sale, so possibly vacant. They were able to
> contact UPS to tell them not to deliver it.

I must confess I don't check my charges often. Last year capital one called
me up, said possible fraud charges. Something like little test charges.
They asked if it was my doing, and cancelled my card number, and issued a
new card. I was impressed.

Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> Same here. I thought most credit cards dropped the fees. I remember
> one of the things I learned from my mom back when there were fees and
> that was when the fees came due, call the credit card company and ask
> for them to be waived or you'll cancel your card. It always worked
> for her.

There are plenty that still charge fees. I have gotten offers for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> On 5/21/2012 5:08 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> I have some bills that are paid automatically but the credit card
>> bill isn't one of them. I want to see that bill each month.

> Everyone should look at their bills more than monthly. I recently had
> a bogus charge and had to have my card cancelled while they
> investigated. Since the charge was caught early, the item in
> question hadn't even been delivered to the thief yet. Yes, they
> ordered online and had it delivered, a big TV. The company where the
> thief used my credit account (can't say card because I had it in my
> possession) looked up the address and it was a house for sale, so
> possibly vacant. They were able to contact UPS to tell them not to
> deliver it.

I can check mine online. And there had better not be any charges on it! I
only use the card for emergencies.

I have had someone try to use my debit card to order something online. The
bank caught it.