Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Potato Chips as presented by Smithsonian Magazine

Potato chips. I happen to like potato chips. They're one of my favourite
snacks on the planet. So this landed in my inbox and I thought I'd share it

Here's the link:

http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...1205-BestBlogs

Or tiny URL:

http://tinyurl.com/73spe6j

The article is entitled 'Food & Think' LOL

"In a study published last year in Gastronomica, student Josh Freedman and
linguist Dan Jurafsky of Stanford examined the language found on 12
different brands of potato chips. They discovered that six less expensive
brands of chips had fewer words on the bags and that those words emphasized
the food's authenticity through tradition and hominess, making claims like
this: "Family-made, in the shadow of the Cascades, since 1921." (In much the
same way politicians aren't prone to usin' highfalutin language around
down-home audiences.)

More expensive potato chips-the ones you might expect to find at health food
stores-tended to distinguish themselves with longer words. Their
descriptions focused more on health and naturalness, emphasizing how they
were different: "No artificial flavors, no MSG, no trans fats, no kidding."
Indeed, for each additional "no," "not," "never," "don't," or "won't" that
appeared on the bag, the price of potato chips climbed an average of four
cents an ounce."

You really must read the entire article to realize just how much money
people are willing to spend for potato chips!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:26:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>Potato chips. I happen to like potato chips. They're one of my favourite
>snacks on the planet. So this landed in my inbox and I thought I'd share it
>

>Here's the link:
>
>http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...1205-BestBlogs
>
>Or tiny URL:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/73spe6j
>
>The article is entitled 'Food & Think' LOL
>
>"In a study published last year in Gastronomica, student Josh Freedman and
>linguist Dan Jurafsky of Stanford examined the language found on 12
>different brands of potato chips.

At least we still have 12 different brands left. All the smaller
shops are gone, even the very good ones.

State Line used to be a big and very good brand in Southern New
England. Then Frito Lay built a plant here, sold chips for about half
the going rate, and put a few others out of business. Then raised the
prices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
> On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:26:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> Potato chips. I happen to like potato chips. They're one of my favourite
>> snacks on the planet. So this landed in my inbox and I thought I'd share it
>>

>> Here's the link:
>>
>> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...1205-BestBlogs
>>
>> Or tiny URL:
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/73spe6j
>>
>> The article is entitled 'Food & Think' LOL
>>
>> "In a study published last year in Gastronomica, student Josh Freedman and
>> linguist Dan Jurafsky of Stanford examined the language found on 12
>> different brands of potato chips.

> At least we still have 12 different brands left. All the smaller
> shops are gone, even the very good ones.
>
> State Line used to be a big and very good brand in Southern New
> England. Then Frito Lay built a plant here, sold chips for about half
> the going rate, and put a few others out of business. Then raised the
> prices.

Lots of companies near me. They got herrs and utz, but there are two
distinct snyders, of Berlin, and of Hanover. I thing lays classic really
suck.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

gregz > wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>> On Sun, 6 May 2012 13:26:38 -0400, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Potato chips. I happen to like potato chips. They're one of my favourite
>>> snacks on the planet. So this landed in my inbox and I thought I'd share it
>>>

>>> Here's the link:
>>>
>>> http://blogs.smithsonianmag.com/food...1205-BestBlogs
>>>
>>> Or tiny URL:
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/73spe6j
>>>
>>> The article is entitled 'Food & Think' LOL
>>>
>>> "In a study published last year in Gastronomica, student Josh Freedman and
>>> linguist Dan Jurafsky of Stanford examined the language found on 12
>>> different brands of potato chips.

>> At least we still have 12 different brands left. All the smaller
>> shops are gone, even the very good ones.
>>
>> State Line used to be a big and very good brand in Southern New
>> England. Then Frito Lay built a plant here, sold chips for about half
>> the going rate, and put a few others out of business. Then raised the
>> prices.

> Lots of companies near me. They got herrs and utz, but there are two
> distinct snyders, of Berlin, and of Hanover. I thing lays classic really
> suck.
>
> Greg

Forgot wise from pa.
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 1:26*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

> More expensive potato chips-the ones you might expect to find at health food
> stores-tended to distinguish themselves with longer words. Their
> descriptions focused more on health and naturalness, emphasizing how they
> were different: "No artificial flavors, no MSG, no trans fats, no kidding.."
> Indeed, for each additional "no," "not," "never," "don't," or "won't" that
> appeared on the bag, the price of potato chips climbed an average of four
> cents an ounce."

Yes, very much like the first time I spied a bottle of olive oil
with "No Cholesterol" on the label. No kidding, it's a vegetable
product. On the one hand I'd prefer a more honest marketing approach,
but on the other hand I guess it's "let the buyer beware". What is
the limit though? What's next, "Non Fattening" on a box of shoes?

TJ

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 21:30:05 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> wrote:

> Yes, very much like the first time I spied a bottle of olive oil
>with "No Cholesterol" on the label. No kidding, it's a vegetable
>product.

I bet if you took a random survey, many people would have no idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 07 May 2012 05:53:55 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> On Sun, 6 May 2012 21:30:05 -0700 (PDT), Tommy Joe
> > wrote:
>

> > Yes, very much like the first time I spied a bottle of olive oil
> >with "No Cholesterol" on the label. No kidding, it's a vegetable
> >product.

> I bet if you took a random survey, many people would have no idea.

Olives are a vegetable? They grew on trees the last time I checked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/6/2012 11:08 PM, gregz wrote:
> > wrote:
>> Ed > wrote:

>>> At least we still have 12 different brands left. All the smaller
>>> shops are gone, even the very good ones.
>>>
>>> State Line used to be a big and very good brand in Southern New
>>> England. Then Frito Lay built a plant here, sold chips for about half
>>> the going rate, and put a few others out of business. Then raised the
>>> prices.

>> Lots of companies near me. They got herrs and utz, but there are two
>> distinct snyders, of Berlin, and of Hanover. I thing lays classic really
>> suck.
>>
>> Greg

> Forgot wise from pa.
> Greg

Wise used to be good before the last megacorp bought them. With Wise
there was always a nice distribution of different size pieces with many
having nice browning. Now they aren't much different than pringles.