Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cheese and wine

Hello everyone,

I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".

Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?

Thank you in advance.
Xu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 17:58:39 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
>them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
>in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
>It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
>choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".
>
>Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?

The best way to learn in conjunction with your reading is to attend
wine and cheese tasting events, where you can sample and discuss with
others.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-06 17:10:26 +0000, Brooklyn1 said:

> On Sun, 6 May 2012 17:58:39 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
>> them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
>> in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
>> It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
>> choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".
>>
>> Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?

> The best way to learn in conjunction with your reading is to attend
> wine and cheese tasting events, where you can sample and discuss with
> others.

Agreed. In the meantime reading the two books in question is a great
place to start. Read, eat/drink, ruminate, repeat. If you can do it in
conjunction with others it's even better.

I've made it through about a quarter of the Great Courses lectures on
wine and find them truly eye-opening.

It's here if you've an interest:

http://tinyurl.com/7bgtazl

It's usually on sale for under $50, don't even THINK about their
"regular" prices: Everything is almost always on sale.
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 May 2012 17:58:39 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
> them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
> in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
> It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
> choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".
>
> Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Xu

Here you go -
http://wine.about.com/od/servingwine...eandcheese.htm
http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...ing-guide.aspx

Then you can get into what to have with your wine and cheese
http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...condiments.asp
("try to balance out the saltiness of an aged Parmigiano-Reggiano with
the tart sweetness of a marmalade")

Good luck!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Mag, 17:58, Wang Xu > wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
> them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
> in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
> It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
> choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".
>
> Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Xu

What do you mean for : "I want to try cheeses and wine"??????
Do you mean all the 2 things together or singular?
I Am Italian and where I live they make cheese (toma cheese, often
"Toma al Barolo") preserved in wine. Very good!
Now I ask you if you need a recipe to make a "cheese in wine" or
others things....
Cheers
Pandora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pandora wrote:

> > I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge

> What do you mean for : "I want to try cheeses and wine"??????

Translated, it means "I am an idiot troll and somehow or other this
idiotic post is going to help me scam somebody."

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-06 18:59:15 +0000, George M. Middius said:

> Pandora wrote:
>
>>> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge

>> What do you mean for : "I want to try cheeses and wine"??????

> Translated, it means "I am an idiot troll and somehow or other this
> idiotic post is going to help me scam somebody."

How unkind you are.
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.
-- Galileo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> >> What do you mean for : "I want to try cheeses and wine"??????

> > Translated, it means "I am an idiot troll and somehow or other this
> > idiotic post is going to help me scam somebody."

> How unkind you are.

Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 6, 11:58*am, Wang Xu > wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
> them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
> in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
> It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
> choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".
>
> Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Xu

various cheese and various wines make for good mixing
some might say that some of the pairings go good together
some might say that for example if i use pairing 'a' some might say
that its
bland like a shoe sole
others might say that its a genius
whats your opinion
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-05-06 17:45:07 +0000, sf said:

> On Sun, 6 May 2012 17:58:39 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:
>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
>> them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
>> in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
>> It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
>> choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".
>>
>> Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?
>>
>> Thank you in advance.
>> Xu

> Here you go -
> http://wine.about.com/od/servingwine...eandcheese.htm
> http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...ing-guide.aspx
>

> Then you can get into what to have with your wine and cheese
> http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...condiments.asp
> ("try to balance out the saltiness of an aged Parmigiano-Reggiano with
> the tart sweetness of a marmalade")
>
> Good luck!

Thanks everyone.

It seems I should learn more things on cheese and wine. I have tried
cheddar, gouda, brie and idiazabal (made from sheep milk). At first I
did not like idiazabal, because it is too strong, but latter I found it
is very good to have with wine.

Anyhow, I am going to learn and try more on cheese and wine.

Thank you again,
Xu

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 7:09*am, Wang Xu > wrote:
> On 2012-05-06 17:45:07 +0000, sf said:
>

> > On Sun, 6 May 2012 17:58:39 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:

> >> Hello everyone,

> >> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
> >> them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
> >> in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying"..
> >> It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
> >> choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".

> >> Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?

> >> Thank you in advance.
> >> Xu

> > Here you go -
> >http://wine.about.com/od/servingwine...eandcheese.htm
> >http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...644/wine-chees...

> > Then you can get into what to have with your wine and cheese
> >http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...eese-condiment...
> > ("try to balance out the saltiness of an aged Parmigiano-Reggiano with
> > the tart sweetness of a marmalade")

> > Good luck!

> Thanks everyone.
>
> It seems I should learn more things on cheese and wine. I have tried
> cheddar, gouda, brie and idiazabal (made from sheep milk). At first I
> did not like idiazabal, because it is too strong, but latter I found it
> is very good to have with wine.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to learn and try more on cheese and wine.
>
> Thank you again,
> Xu

Try some fruit with them also- grapes, apples, and pears work well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On May 7, 7:09 am, Wang Xu > wrote:
> On 2012-05-06 17:45:07 +0000, sf said:
>

> > On Sun, 6 May 2012 17:58:39 +0200, Wang Xu > wrote:

> >> Hello everyone,

> >> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
> >> them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
> >> in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
> >> It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
> >> choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".

> >> Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and
> >> wines?

> >> Thank you in advance.
> >> Xu

> > Here you go -
> >http://wine.about.com/od/servingwine...eandcheese.htm
> >http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...644/wine-chees...

> > Then you can get into what to have with your wine and cheese
> >http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...eese-condiment...
> > ("try to balance out the saltiness of an aged Parmigiano-Reggiano with
> > the tart sweetness of a marmalade")

> > Good luck!

> Thanks everyone.
>
> It seems I should learn more things on cheese and wine. I have tried
> cheddar, gouda, brie and idiazabal (made from sheep milk). At first I
> did not like idiazabal, because it is too strong, but latter I found it
> is very good to have with wine.
>
> Anyhow, I am going to learn and try more on cheese and wine.
>
> Thank you again,
> Xu

Try some fruit with them also- grapes, apples, and pears work well.
----------------------------------
But NOT with the wine.
Old wineshop adage: "Buy with fruit, sell with cheese"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Il 06/05/2012 17:58, Wang Xu ha scritto:

> I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
> them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book in
> amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying". It
> seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good choice.
> Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".
>
> Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and
> wines?

One important thing: find a book which talks about cheeses you can find,
otherwise you could be disappointed by the fact that some cheeses are
impossible to find in your area. Nowadays food travels a lot but it's
not always easy to find things. Wine is another story, it stores much
better than cheese and ha less trouble with import / export laws, thus
it is far easier to find foreign quality wines than foreign quality cheeses.
--
Vilco
And the Family Stone
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 9:20*am, "graham" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On May 7, 7:09 am, Wang Xu > wrote:

> > > Here you go -
> > >http://wine.about.com/od/servingwine...eandcheese.htm
> > >http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...644/wine-chees....

> > > Then you can get into what to have with your wine and cheese
> > >http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...eese-condiment....
> > > ("try to balance out the saltiness of an aged Parmigiano-Reggiano with
> > > the tart sweetness of a marmalade")

> > > Good luck!

> > Thanks everyone.

> > It seems I should learn more things on cheese and wine. I have tried
> > cheddar, gouda, brie and idiazabal (made from sheep milk). At first I
> > did not like idiazabal, because it is too strong, but latter I found it
> > is very good to have with wine.

> > Anyhow, I am going to learn and try more on cheese and wine.

> > Thank you again,
> > Xu

> Try some fruit with them also- grapes, apples, and pears work well.
> ----------------------------------
> But NOT with the wine.
> Old wineshop adage: "Buy with fruit, sell with cheese"

Really? Is this true??
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"merryb" > wrote in message
On May 7, 9:20 am, "graham" > wrote:
> "merryb" > wrote in message

> On May 7, 7:09 am, Wang Xu > wrote:

> > > Here you go -
> > >http://wine.about.com/od/servingwine...eandcheese.htm
> > >http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/Article...644/wine-chees...

> > > Then you can get into what to have with your wine and cheese
> > >http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/mai...eese-condiment...
> > > ("try to balance out the saltiness of an aged Parmigiano-Reggiano with
> > > the tart sweetness of a marmalade")

> > > Good luck!

> > Thanks everyone.

> > It seems I should learn more things on cheese and wine. I have tried
> > cheddar, gouda, brie and idiazabal (made from sheep milk). At first I
> > did not like idiazabal, because it is too strong, but latter I found it
> > is very good to have with wine.

> > Anyhow, I am going to learn and try more on cheese and wine.

> > Thank you again,
> > Xu

> Try some fruit with them also- grapes, apples, and pears work well.
> ----------------------------------
> But NOT with the wine.
> Old wineshop adage: "Buy with fruit, sell with cheese"

Really? Is this true??
---------------------------------
For red wines, in my experience, yes. Try pairing a fine red with a mature
cheddar and the try it with a piece of orange. Actually, a 2buckchuck will
taste better with cheese.
Whites are less fussy but cheese will still bring out the subtle fruit
flavours whereas fruit will blast them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-07 18:17:01 +0000, graham said:

>>> Old wineshop adage: "Buy with fruit, sell with cheese"

>> Really? Is this true??

> For red wines, in my experience, yes. Try pairing a fine red with a
> mature cheddar and the try it with a piece of orange.

What wine and cheese do you recommend with grapefruit? Or lemons?

I've never been drawn to the fruit on the cheese plate with fruit garny
that I sometimes get. I was usually drinking wine red wine. I've
gotten pear, apple, grapes and strawberries. I've never gotten citrus
fruit.

> Actually, a 2buckchuck will taste better with cheese.

With cheese and orange?

> Whites are less fussy but cheese will still bring out the subtle fruit
> flavours whereas fruit will blast them.

Again, I don't normally eat the fruit, but pear seems like it would go
quite well with white wine.
--
I do not feel obligated to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use.
-- Galileo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> > For red wines, in my experience, yes. Try pairing a fine red with a
> > mature cheddar and the try it with a piece of orange.

> What wine and cheese do you recommend with grapefruit? Or lemons?

You may be sneering, but a sweet after-dinner wine is not destroyed by
oranges.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-07 19:14:13 +0000, George M. Middius said:

> gtr wrote:
>
>>> For red wines, in my experience, yes. Try pairing a fine red with a
>>> mature cheddar and the try it with a piece of orange.

>> What wine and cheese do you recommend with grapefruit? Or lemons?

> You may be sneering, but a sweet after-dinner wine is not destroyed by
> oranges.

That's why we each have our own palate.

I'm pondering the fact that you switched fruits and disregarded the
cheese altogether. I'd call that evasive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> >> What wine and cheese do you recommend with grapefruit? Or lemons?

> > You may be sneering, but a sweet after-dinner wine is not destroyed by
> > oranges.

> That's why we each have our own palate.
>
> I'm pondering the fact that you switched fruits and disregarded the
> cheese altogether. I'd call that evasive.

You're mean.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 7, 2:54*pm, George M. Middius > wrote:

> > > You may be sneering, but a sweet after-dinner wine is not destroyed by
> > > oranges.

> > That's why we each have our own palate.

> > I'm pondering the fact that you switched fruits and disregarded the
> > cheese altogether. I'd call that evasive.

> You're mean.

He/she's got the mean shoes on today.

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wang Xu View Post
Hello everyone,

I want to try cheeses and wine, but because I have a few knowledge on
them, it is very difficult to choose how to try them. I find one book
in amazon "Cheese & Wine: A Guide to Selecting, Pairing, and Enjoying".
It seems good, but one customer wrote that this book is not a good
choice. Another book is "The Cheese Companion: A Connoisseurs Guide".

Could you give me some suggesion/references to start to try cheeses and wines?

Thank you in advance.
Xu
The best way is to communicate with others or ask your friends who can cook it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 18:14:51 +0000, Steve Pope said:

> sf > wrote:
>
>> I had to look up Aglianico. Never heard of it before.

> Yeah, it's only one of the most important wine grape varieties
> on the planet.

Heck yeah! After Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chenin Blanc,
Chardonnay, Shiraz, Barbarrossa, Pinot Noir, Reisling, Muscat,
Grenache, Pinot Grigio, Prosecco, Sauvignon Blanc, Lambrusco, Merlot,
Montepulciano, Nebbiola, San Giovese, Gamay and Semillon, it's
definitely on a list that includes the other grape varieties which
currently exist on the planet.

I just checked at at the local mega-wine store (hitimewine.net) they
have a whopping FIVE bottles--and that's five DIFFERENT bottles!

I'm curious to know what makes Aglianico important; that it's so old
historically? It's certainly not world-wide awareness and volume of
distribution.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 May 2012 11:49:50 -0700, gtr > wrote:

>On 2012-05-08 18:14:51 +0000, Steve Pope said:
>
>> sf > wrote:
>>
>>> I had to look up Aglianico. Never heard of it before.

>> Yeah, it's only one of the most important wine grape varieties
>> on the planet.

>Heck yeah! After Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chenin Blanc,
>Chardonnay, Shiraz, Barbarrossa, Pinot Noir, Reisling, Muscat,
>Grenache, Pinot Grigio, Prosecco, Sauvignon Blanc, Lambrusco, Merlot,
>Montepulciano, Nebbiola, San Giovese, Gamay and Semillon, it's
>definitely on a list that includes the other grape varieties which
>currently exist on the planet.
>
>I just checked at at the local mega-wine store (hitimewine.net) they
>have a whopping FIVE bottles--and that's five DIFFERENT bottles!

I'm on the opposite end of the country from sf & I hadn't heard of
Aglianico either-- not that *that* means anything.

My local mega-store. [lots of liquors, too, but a first stop for
unusual wines] has a $13 bottle [750ml] of Cantravelli Aglianico --
That's it.
[just as a comparison I searched for Cabernet Franc & got 43 bottles]

>I'm curious to know what makes Aglianico important; that it's so old
>historically? It's certainly not world-wide awareness and volume of
>distribution.

Me too. I'm not that interested in wines, but I hate to pass up a
chance at education.

Jim
[and to show you how rare that stuff is in the US-- my newsreader
wanted to change it to 'Alliance'.<g>]
Posted to rec.food.cooking
gtr gtr is offline

On 2012-05-08 19:59:47 +0000, Steve Pope said:

> Christine Dabney > wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 8 May 2012 18:14:51 +0000 (UTC), (Steve

>> Pope) wrote:

>>> Yeah, it's only one of the most important wine grape varieties
>>> on the planet.
>>>

>>> Steve

>> I never heard of it either.

> Here's a piece on it by Jancis Robinson, M.W.:

http://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles/a201107193.html

Sounds very interesting, I'll certainly give it a try, not only because
it sounds good, but because I love championing obscurities.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

gtr wrote:

> >> I had to look up Aglianico. Never heard of it before.

> > Yeah, it's only one of the most important wine grape varieties
> > on the planet.

> Heck yeah! After Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Chenin Blanc,
> Chardonnay, Shiraz, Barbarrossa, Pinot Noir, Reisling, Muscat,
> Grenache, Pinot Grigio, Prosecco, Sauvignon Blanc, Lambrusco, Merlot,
> Montepulciano, Nebbiola, San Giovese, Gamay and Semillon, it's
> definitely on a list that includes the other grape varieties which
> currently exist on the planet.
>
> I just checked at at the local mega-wine store (hitimewine.net) they
> have a whopping FIVE bottles--and that's five DIFFERENT bottles!
>
> I'm curious to know what makes Aglianico important; that it's so old
> historically? It's certainly not world-wide awareness and volume of
> distribution.

I just skimmed an article that brings French Gigondas to mind:

<http://www.wineweekly.com/wine-basics/wine-grapes/wine-grape-aglianico/>

Nothing in there about why this type of grape would be among "the most
important wine grape varieties on the planet." From the description,
it sounds like a niche grape because of the narrow climatic conditions
that sustain it.

Cheese and wine Steve Pope General Cooking 6 08-05-2012 08:59 PM
Pairing cheese-wine Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 23 12-12-2008 02:02 PM
Wine & Cheese sami Wine 9 12-01-2006 09:05 PM
Wine Cheese Tasting lotusart Wine 28 06-08-2004 08:04 PM
On cheese and wine Nils Gustaf Lindgren Wine 4 06-10-2003 09:37 PM