Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Self-Rising Flour= Regular Flour +?

I haven't bought self-rising flour in years, but found a recipe for
chocolate cobbler and it calls for 1-1/2 cups of that type flour. At the
one store I was in yesterday, there was a 5 lb. bag of Gold Medal
self-rising flour and it was over $5! I didn't want to pay for something
I would hardly ever use. I came home and looked in a couple of cookbooks
at the substitution charts and they did not have anything to use in
place of this flour. I know I would add some salt, but how much? I would
need to add baking powder or soda (maybe both?) but how MUCH would I add
to that amount of regular flour?

I'm sure somebody can help me out here, and appreciate it, as will save
myself some $5 plus change. I could just guess, but would rather have
the exact measurements.

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/2/2012 12:51 PM, Judy Haffner wrote:

> I haven't bought self-rising flour in years, but found a recipe for
> chocolate cobbler and it calls for 1-1/2 cups of that type flour. At the
> one store I was in yesterday, there was a 5 lb. bag of Gold Medal
> self-rising flour and it was over $5! I didn't want to pay for something
> I would hardly ever use. I came home and looked in a couple of cookbooks
> at the substitution charts and they did not have anything to use in
> place of this flour. I know I would add some salt, but how much? I would
> need to add baking powder or soda (maybe both?) but how MUCH would I add
> to that amount of regular flour?
>
> I'm sure somebody can help me out here, and appreciate it, as will save
> myself some $5 plus change. I could just guess, but would rather have
> the exact measurements.
>
> Judy

http://baking.about.com/cs/hintsandt...isingflour.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

>I see George has given you a url, so
> change of topic. I guess you missed my
> ping to you. I made those thumbprint
> cookies the other day and they are pure
> crack. I don't need the calories and
> hubby is trying to cut back on carbs and
> sugar so it's a good thing I only made a
> half recipe because they were hard not
> to inhale. They were that good! Thanks
> for the recipe, I'm definitely making
> them again!

Yes, I did check out the site for making regular flour into self-rising,
that George sent (thanks, George!) and also thanks I, not -l for
breaking it down, as have that all written out, and is a big help.
Whenever in doubt, all a person has to do, is ask this group of
information and education, and one shall get a answer immediately! ) I
plan to make the Chocolate Cobbler tonight and just saved myself $5 on
the self-rising flour! Yippee!

No, I didn't see your Ping, as had been busier than usual lately, and
haven't been around much. Glad you liked those cookies, as I know they
are always a hit whenever I have made them. A real "keeper"!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I came across this just yesterday in Shirley Corriher's CookWise in a
biscuit recipe: "If low-protein Southern self-rising flour is not available,
use 1 cup national-brand self-rising all purpose and 1/2 cup instant flour
such as Wondra or cake flour plus 1/2 teaspoon baking power. If self-rising
flour is not available, use a total of 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder." And
furthermore, she says, "Do not use self-rising flour for shaping since the
leavener will give a bitter taste to the outside."
There now. As the young folks write only in txt, I know that is TMI but
thought you might find it helpful or at least interesting. I loved your
cookies too but they were not 'keepers'. No cookie is around here. Polly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Polly wrote:

>As the young folks write only in txt, I
> know that is TMI but thought you might
> find it helpful or at least interesting. I
> loved your cookies too but they were not
> 'keepers'. No cookie is around here.

Thanks for your input on the self rising flour, Polly!

Glad to hear you liked those cookies so well too. LOL that is the same
way around here...not many cookies can "keep" for very long, what with
our kids and grandkids stopping by. They always have their hands in the
cookie jar!

Judy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"l, not -l" > wrote:
> On 2-May-2012, "graham" > wrote:
>

>>> Add salt a baking soda. For each cup of a/p flour add 1 1/4 teaspoons
>>> of
>>> baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt
>>>

>> I don't see the need for salt although it's in every recipe for SR that
>> I'vr
>> come accross.
>> Graham

> I don't know why it's there; but, every brand of self-rising flour I've seen
> has between 325-400mg of sodium per quarter-cup of flour. Most all-purpose
> flour doesn't list sodium, though some list it as zero.

Sodium is in baking soda. I don't know the percentage, and it's not regular
salt.

Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

When you run out of fun things to do - find a felt pen and write on the
flour canister what the equivalent is for self-rising flour. I don't keep
self-rising and hardly ever need it but on those rare occasions, it's so
nice to have the formula right where I need it. Polly