Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default kale chips?

did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep the
dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that includes
snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,

Lee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 7:18*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep the
> dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that includes
> snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,
>
> Lee

I wash em, spin em dry, lay on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic
powder, bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Check for a bone dry state.

Look into the DASH diet.

How are the kitties, by the by?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks so much easy enough for me anyway, do you think other spices would do
like sage or oregano?

cats are so happy i brought him home, HIS cat Storrmmee is following him
around like a dog, and barbi is pretty close to velcroed to him. OEJ is now
up to two pills a day for her thyroid, Trudi is increasingly stiff from her
beebees in her back and chester and mathew harold are still the two stooges,
lol, Lee
"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Apr 30, 7:18 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep
> the
> dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that
> includes
> snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,
>
> Lee

I wash em, spin em dry, lay on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic
powder, bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Check for a bone dry state.

Look into the DASH diet.

How are the kitties, by the by?

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 30, 4:18*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep the
> dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that includes
> snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,
>
> Lee

I like them pretty simple, with just a wee bit of salt. As they get
really dry and crispy, the saltiness seems to get stronger. So if
you use any herbs or seasonings be very sparing with them and they
tend to get stronger.

I wash the kale, dry it well, tear it into pretty big potato chip
sized pieces and toss them with about a teaspoon of olive oil before
putting them on the pan and sprinkling them with a tiny bit of
salt. You can bake them quickly as Kalima said or use a lower heat
like 170 and letting them go longer to completely dry out.

Be advised though, they are so damn good you will eat a whole bunch of
kale at one sitting, seriously. They are that addictive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

unfortunately salt is out. He is supposed to be eating low salt/low
cholesterol, and heart healthy... a lot to switch all at once.

I know he loves sage and oregano and garlic, so i figured if i could make
these for a snack, he could have a crunchy and get the health benifits as
well, thanks,

Lee

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Apr 30, 4:18 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep
> the
> dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that
> includes
> snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,
>
> Lee

I like them pretty simple, with just a wee bit of salt. As they get
really dry and crispy, the saltiness seems to get stronger. So if
you use any herbs or seasonings be very sparing with them and they
tend to get stronger.

I wash the kale, dry it well, tear it into pretty big potato chip
sized pieces and toss them with about a teaspoon of olive oil before
putting them on the pan and sprinkling them with a tiny bit of
salt. You can bake them quickly as Kalima said or use a lower heat
like 170 and letting them go longer to completely dry out.

Be advised though, they are so damn good you will eat a whole bunch of
kale at one sitting, seriously. They are that addictive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Apr 30, 7:26*am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> unfortunately salt is out. *He is supposed to be eating low salt/low
> cholesterol, and heart healthy... a lot to switch all at once.
>
> I know he loves sage and oregano and garlic, so i figured if i could make
> these for a snack, he could have a crunchy and get the health benifits as
> well, thanks,
>
> Lee

Then try a teensy bit of Mrs. Dash seasoning. That should do the
trick, lots of flavor and no salt !!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep
> the dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that
> includes snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,

I made them using Jacques Pepin's recipe. Cut in bite sized chips, coat
lightly in olive oil and bake at no more than 350 degrees. Bake for about
12 to 14 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 07:16:07 -0700 (PDT), ImStillMags
> wrote:

> I like them pretty simple, with just a wee bit of salt. As they get
> really dry and crispy, the saltiness seems to get stronger. So if
> you use any herbs or seasonings be very sparing with them and they
> tend to get stronger.
>
> I wash the kale, dry it well, tear it into pretty big potato chip
> sized pieces and toss them with about a teaspoon of olive oil before
> putting them on the pan and sprinkling them with a tiny bit of
> salt. You can bake them quickly as Kalima said or use a lower heat
> like 170 and letting them go longer to completely dry out.

DD just hits them with a little PAM. I like oil, but I should stop
that. She also keeps the kale pretty large. I personally don't care
what size it is because I'm such a pig when it comes to eating that
stuff.

> Be advised though, they are so damn good you will eat a whole bunch of
> kale at one sitting, seriously. They are that addictive.

But you've just pigged out on something healthy, so bask in the glow!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks, i never even considered it and its a good option, Lee
"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Apr 30, 7:26 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> unfortunately salt is out. He is supposed to be eating low salt/low
> cholesterol, and heart healthy... a lot to switch all at once.
>
> I know he loves sage and oregano and garlic, so i figured if i could make
> these for a snack, he could have a crunchy and get the health benifits as
> well, thanks,
>
> Lee

Then try a teensy bit of Mrs. Dash seasoning. That should do the
trick, lots of flavor and no salt !!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

thanks, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep
>> the dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that
>> includes snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,

> I made them using Jacques Pepin's recipe. Cut in bite sized chips, coat
> lightly in olive oil and bake at no more than 350 degrees. Bake for about
> 12 to 14 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/30/2012 7:29 AM, Kalmia wrote:
> On Apr 30, 7:18 am, > wrote:
>> did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep the
>> dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that includes
>> snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,
>>
>> Lee

> I wash em, spin em dry, lay on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic
> powder, bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. Check for a bone dry state.

I thought I had seen "toss with olive oil" before baking, no?

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 30, 2:02*pm, gloria p > wrote:
> On 4/30/2012 7:29 AM, Kalmia wrote:
>
> > On Apr 30, 7:18 am, > *wrote:
> >> did i read here about these and is there a recipe, in an attempt to keep the
> >> dh from repeating a stroke event i am working on healthier and that includes
> >> snacks, any help will be most gratefully received,

> >> Lee

> > I wash em, spin em dry, lay on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with garlic
> > powder, bake at 350 for about 15 minutes. *Check for a bone dry state..

> I thought I had seen "toss with olive oil" before baking, no?
>
> gloria p

Well, I never have. I guess one could. I'm always vigilant about fat
and added calories.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:02:27 -0600, gloria p >
wrote:

> I thought I had seen "toss with olive oil" before baking, no?

Yes, you have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
z z z z is offline

While you are at it try shaved turnip slices oiled and seasoned and
flipped both sides, and "popcorn" cauliflower.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

interesting ideas, thanks Lee
"z z" > wrote in message
> While you are at it try shaved turnip slices oiled and seasoned and
> flipped both sides, and "popcorn" cauliflower.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"Storrmmee" > wrote:

> thanks, i never even considered it and its a good option, Lee
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> On Apr 30, 7:26 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
> > unfortunately salt is out. He is supposed to be eating low salt/low
> > cholesterol, and heart healthy... a lot to switch all at once.
> >
> > I know he loves sage and oregano and garlic, so i figured if i could make
> > these for a snack, he could have a crunchy and get the health benifits as
> > well, thanks,
> >
> > Lee

> Then try a teensy bit of Mrs. Dash seasoning. That should do the
> trick, lots of flavor and no salt !!

And some Aleppo pepper. Be sure to cook them until they're crisp. Yum.

I do small halved Brussels sprouts the same way. Yum again.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

i would like the pepper the dh not so much, do the brussels sprouts get chip
crispy?
"isw" > wrote in message
]...
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> thanks, i never even considered it and its a good option, Lee
>> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message
>> On Apr 30, 7:26 am, "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>> > unfortunately salt is out. He is supposed to be eating low salt/low
>> > cholesterol, and heart healthy... a lot to switch all at once.
>> >
>> > I know he loves sage and oregano and garlic, so i figured if i could
>> > make
>> > these for a snack, he could have a crunchy and get the health benifits
>> > as
>> > well, thanks,
>> >
>> > Lee

>> Then try a teensy bit of Mrs. Dash seasoning. That should do the
>> trick, lots of flavor and no salt !!

> And some Aleppo pepper. Be sure to cook them until they're crisp. Yum.
>
> I do small halved Brussels sprouts the same way. Yum again.
>
> Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
"Storrmmee" > wrote:

> i would like the pepper the dh not so much

Aleppo is not very hot, but has a lot of flavor. Even my wife and family
don't complain.

> do the brussels sprouts get chip crispy?

Here's how I do the sprouts:

I choose small ones. Wash, trim the bases, and halve through the base.
Now start peeling off leaves (or petals, or whatever the hell those
things are). Keep the leaves. Peel down until there's a little hard
"half-ball" left. Cut off a bit more of the base if you need to. Repeat
until you get tired, or until you've dealt with all the sprouts.

Toss leaves and cores in a big bowl, add whatever seasoning you like (I
use Aleppo pepper, some salt, and whatever dried herbs strike my fancy
-- onion granules, Mrs. Dash, BBQ rub, smoked paprika, ...). Toss to
mix, add a glug of good olive oil and toss again. Try to get all the
seasonings to stick to the sprouts.

Spread the sprouts out on a sheet pan (separate them so they aren't
overlapping too much) and pop into a hot oven -- how hot depends on what
else you're baking at the same time, but anything from 350 F up to maybe
450 F will work. Check occasionally, and taste the separated leaves,
until they are as brown and crunchy as you like (I like crunchy) --
maybe 15-25 minutes, depending. By that time, the little lumps will have
softened up nicely. Serve immediately.

Depending on how much peeling you want to do, you can arrange for more
separate leaves (crunchy), or more lumps (soft and sweet). The contrast
between the two textures is part of the appeal.

Note: People who like these will eat a *lot*; I can easily manage half a
pound (raw weight) by myself, and I'm not a big guy.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

thank you that sounds a wonderful snack, and something my sister can do with
her kids, Lee
"isw" > wrote in message
]...
> In article >,
> "Storrmmee" > wrote:
>
>> i would like the pepper the dh not so much

> Aleppo is not very hot, but has a lot of flavor. Even my wife and family
> don't complain.
>
>> do the brussels sprouts get chip crispy?

> Here's how I do the sprouts:
>
> I choose small ones. Wash, trim the bases, and halve through the base.
> Now start peeling off leaves (or petals, or whatever the hell those
> things are). Keep the leaves. Peel down until there's a little hard
> "half-ball" left. Cut off a bit more of the base if you need to. Repeat
> until you get tired, or until you've dealt with all the sprouts.
>
> Toss leaves and cores in a big bowl, add whatever seasoning you like (I
> use Aleppo pepper, some salt, and whatever dried herbs strike my fancy
> -- onion granules, Mrs. Dash, BBQ rub, smoked paprika, ...). Toss to
> mix, add a glug of good olive oil and toss again. Try to get all the
> seasonings to stick to the sprouts.
>
> Spread the sprouts out on a sheet pan (separate them so they aren't
> overlapping too much) and pop into a hot oven -- how hot depends on what
> else you're baking at the same time, but anything from 350 F up to maybe
> 450 F will work. Check occasionally, and taste the separated leaves,
> until they are as brown and crunchy as you like (I like crunchy) --
> maybe 15-25 minutes, depending. By that time, the little lumps will have
> softened up nicely. Serve immediately.
>
> Depending on how much peeling you want to do, you can arrange for more
> separate leaves (crunchy), or more lumps (soft and sweet). The contrast
> between the two textures is part of the appeal.
>
> Note: People who like these will eat a *lot*; I can easily manage half a
> pound (raw weight) by myself, and I'm not a big guy.
>
> Isaac

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On May 1, 10:09*pm, isw > wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"Storrmmee" > wrote:
> > i would like the pepper the dh not so much

> Aleppo is not very hot, but has a lot of flavor. Even my wife and family
> don't complain.
>
> > do the brussels sprouts get chip crispy?

> Here's how I do the sprouts:
>
> I choose small ones. Wash, trim the bases, and halve through the base.
> Now start peeling off leaves (or petals, or whatever the hell those
> things are). Keep the leaves. Peel down until there's a little hard
> "half-ball" left. Cut off a bit more of the base if you need to. Repeat
> until you get tired, or until you've dealt with all the sprouts.
>
> Toss leaves and cores in a big bowl, add whatever seasoning you like (I
> use Aleppo pepper, some salt, and whatever dried herbs strike my fancy
> -- onion granules, Mrs. Dash, BBQ rub, smoked paprika, ...). Toss to
> mix, add a glug of good olive oil and toss again. Try to get all the
> seasonings to stick to the sprouts.
>
> Spread the sprouts out on a sheet pan (separate them so they aren't
> overlapping too much) and pop into a hot oven -- how hot depends on what
> else you're baking at the same time, but anything from 350 F up to maybe
> 450 F will work. Check occasionally, and taste the separated leaves,
> until they are as brown and crunchy as you like (I like crunchy) --
> maybe 15-25 minutes, depending. By that time, the little lumps will have
> softened up nicely. Serve immediately.
>
> Depending on how much peeling you want to do, you can arrange for more
> separate leaves (crunchy), or more lumps (soft and sweet). The contrast
> between the two textures is part of the appeal.
>
> Note: People who like these will eat a *lot*; I can easily manage half a
> pound (raw weight) by myself, and I'm not a big guy.
>
> Isaac

yum, never thought of using Brussels sprouts, that's a great idea !
I love Brusselss srpouts so this is another way
to enjoy them. I bet you could get sprouts haters to like these.

just made some kale chips ImStillMags General Cooking 6 27-12-2011 09:00 PM
tried kale chips KROM Diabetic 4 24-11-2011 07:02 PM
Kale and a local locoavore's recipe...using kale and garlicscapes ImStillMags General Cooking 1 01-07-2010 04:39 AM
Kale Chips Julie Bove Diabetic 1 21-03-2009 12:29 PM
Kale chips Jeanne Ketterer General Cooking 1 12-05-2005 04:12 AM