Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Am I losing it?

Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month with a
healthy shot of Wild Turkey in my morning cuppa joe. Probably has
something to do with my brain's dichotomy of studying "electronics"
and how to smoke capacitors with ultra-high voltages and watching n'
weeping through end-of-life-as-we-know-it food documentaries. "Being
a mother is the most difficult job on the planet" LOL! How do I
resolve the dilemma of a) buying a toxic dialectric HV capicitor and
b) starting a worm centric compost pile for the plants I don't even
have, yet. It's no wonder I'm talking to myself in that creepy Marlon
Brando Irish weirdo "regulator" voice from The Missouri Breaks. "I be
thinkin about it, now, donchya know" LOL.....

OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
don't cotton to it!

BTW, 660 Curries is a wash. Simplistic wimpy recipes. Thumbs down.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month

I've played that bit for John at least 10 times since he got here. Now we
find ourselves yelling "NO!" for no reason whatsoever

> OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
> don't cotton to it!
>
> nb

Burgers on the grill today... if it doesn't rain. If it rains, the burgers
might turn into meatballs in red gravy/sauce over pasta

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month with a
> healthy shot of Wild Turkey in my morning cuppa joe. Probably has
> something to do with my brain's dichotomy of studying "electronics"
> and how to smoke capacitors with ultra-high voltages and watching n'
> weeping through end-of-life-as-we-know-it food documentaries. "Being
> a mother is the most difficult job on the planet" LOL! How do I
> resolve the dilemma of a) buying a toxic dialectric HV capicitor and
> b) starting a worm centric compost pile for the plants I don't even
> have, yet. It's no wonder I'm talking to myself in that creepy Marlon
> Brando Irish weirdo "regulator" voice from The Missouri Breaks. "I be
> thinkin about it, now, donchya know" LOL.....
>
> OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
> don't cotton to it!
>
> BTW, 660 Curries is a wash. Simplistic wimpy recipes. Thumbs down.
>
> nb
>
> --
> vi --the heart of evil!

what? :-o
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 26, 9:57*am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "notbob" > wrote in message

> > Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month

> I've played that bit for John at least 10 times since he got here. *Now we
> find ourselves yelling "NO!" for no reason whatsoever
>
> > OBfood: *making a tagine fer potluck, today. *Screw 'em iffen they
> > don't cotton to it!

> > nb

> Burgers on the grill today... if it doesn't rain. *If it rains, the burgers
> might turn into meatballs in red gravy/sauce over pasta
>
> Jill

Brave the rain. Get out there and grill!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:57:02 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> "notbob" > wrote in message
> > Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month

> I've played that bit for John at least 10 times since he got here. Now we
> find ourselves yelling "NO!" for no reason whatsoever

Who is Bill Burr and why should I care?

> > OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
> > don't cotton to it!
> >
> > nb
> >

> Burgers on the grill today... if it doesn't rain. If it rains, the burgers
> might turn into meatballs in red gravy/sauce over pasta

So what did you end up with for dinner?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 09:57:02 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>

>> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> > Bad enough I watch Bill Burr's Let It Go about twice a month

>> I've played that bit for John at least 10 times since he got here. Now
>> we
>> find ourselves yelling "NO!" for no reason whatsoever

> Who is Bill Burr and why should I care?

He's a comedian and he goes off about grocery stores (among other things).
He's hilarious. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Z4p9C9oJQ0

When John and I were shopping the other day we noticed those automated
checkout stands. We both started laughing, then went to the lane with an
actual person. Oh, and thank Bast my grocery store doesn't have one of
those "savey-save ****y-**** cards" that let you get 5 cents off bootleg
fruitloops.

>> > OBfood: making a tagine fer potluck, today. Screw 'em iffen they
>> > don't cotton to it!
>> >
>> > nb
>> >

>> Burgers on the grill today... if it doesn't rain. If it rains, the
>> burgers
>> might turn into meatballs in red gravy/sauce over pasta
>>

> So what did you end up with for dinner?

None of the above! We sat down in front of the TV and lost track of time.
I added farfalle (aka bow tie) pasta to the leftover chicken stew. (I
didn't make enough dumplings the first time around.) That pasta works very
well in chicken soups/stews. I guess we'll do the burgers tonight. Looks
like it's going to be a bright sunny day!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 27, 2012 3:01:57 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
> When John and I were shopping the other day we noticed those automated
> checkout stands. We both started laughing, then went to the lane with an
> actual person. Oh, and thank Bast my grocery store doesn't have one of
> those "savey-save ****y-**** cards" that let you get 5 cents off bootleg
> fruitloops.

I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it. That's the breaks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it. That's the breaks.

Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that. "Big Brother"
has been around for a long time, so it's sort of fun to twist its arm
with information that's not exactly invalid

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sky" > wrote in message
> On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces
>> you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it.
>> That's the breaks.

> Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that. "Big Brother"
> has been around for a long time, so it's sort of fun to twist its arm with
> information that's not exactly invalid
>
> Sky

Or not exactly valid, either LOL Seriously, used to be if you didn't have
one of those "cards" you couldn't get the extra 15 cents off of whatever.
Kroger was (is?) famous for it. (I don't know if they still do that...
haven't seen a Kroger since I left TN.) I do recall when I was picking up a
'party platter' of deli meats and cheeses once. I didn't have one of those
cards. The cashier had one and scanned it so I could get a discount. So
much for valid information, eh?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> I was picking up a
> 'party platter' of deli meats and cheeses once. I didn't have one of those
> cards. The cashier had one and scanned it so I could get a discount. So
> much for valid information, eh?

Certainly it's valid. Why do you imagine they want purchase data? They
want to maximize profit, right? So they *aggregate* the sales data
from cardholders to see which combination of discounts leads to the
best margins. Doesn't really matter whose card is used.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2012 2:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, April 27, 2012 3:01:57 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
>> When John and I were shopping the other day we noticed those automated
>> checkout stands. We both started laughing, then went to the lane with an
>> actual person. Oh, and thank Bast my grocery store doesn't have one of
>> those "savey-save ****y-**** cards" that let you get 5 cents off bootleg
>> fruitloops.

> I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it. That's the breaks.

Thats why we patronize stores that don't ask for an ID card. The store
we shop at most frequently features the no ID card requirement in all of
their advertising. The other policy they have is they will not sell
"walmart style" adulterated/enhanced/injected" meat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2012 6:51 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> "Sky" > wrote in message
>> On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway
>>> forces you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to
>>> use it. That's the breaks.

>> Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that. "Big
>> Brother" has been around for a long time, so it's sort of fun to twist
>> its arm with information that's not exactly invalid
>>
>> Sky
>>

> Or not exactly valid, either LOL Seriously, used to be if you didn't
> have one of those "cards" you couldn't get the extra 15 cents off of
> whatever. Kroger was (is?) famous for it. (I don't know if they still do
> that... haven't seen a Kroger since I left TN.) I do recall when I was
> picking up a 'party platter' of deli meats and cheeses once. I didn't
> have one of those cards. The cashier had one and scanned it so I could
> get a discount. So much for valid information, eh?
>
> Jill

Thats pretty unusual anymore at least in stores in our area. They will
say "do you have a store ID card?" If you say no they will ask if you
want one. If you say "I left it at home" they are instructed to ask for
the phone number you gave for your ID card so the information can be
properly collected.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2012 3:41 AM, Sky wrote:
> On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces
>> you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it.
>> That's the breaks.

> Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that. "Big Brother"
> has been around for a long time, so it's sort of fun to twist its arm
> with information that's not exactly invalid
>
> Sky

At least the stores around here require that you present a government
photo ID such as your national ID card (thats what drivers licenses have
become) in order to get a store ID.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2012 7:39 AM, George wrote:

> Thats pretty unusual anymore at least in stores in our area. They will
> say "do you have a store ID card?" If you say no they will ask if you
> want one. If you say "I left it at home" they are instructed to ask for
> the phone number you gave for your ID card so the information can be
> properly collected.

That's where I got into trouble. Giving a fake number. I couldn't
care less that they know I buy kettle chips or whole grain bread,
I don't want my phone number in the system. No problem until the
day I forgot my card. I used to give out my teen line that was
connected to a computer for work, good luck calling that.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote in message
> On 4/28/2012 7:39 AM, George wrote:

> That's where I got into trouble. Giving a fake number. I couldn't
> care less that they know I buy kettle chips or whole grain bread,
> I don't want my phone number in the system. No problem until the
> day I forgot my card. I used to give out my teen line that was
> connected to a computer for work, good luck calling that.
>
> nancy

I understand your thinking, but your number is in the "system" more than you
think. Start with Google, Zillow, and then a few others that carry
information.

Amazingly easy to find your personal information, spouses name, ages, etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2012-04-28, Sky > wrote:

> Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that.

Gotta watch 'em, though. It may backfire on you. I put my name as
Rumplestiltskin Dumbkoff, or something equally silly. How was I to
know Safeway made it a chain-wide policy to address everyone by their
formal name. Every time I bought groceries, I'd get, "Thank you,
Mr. Dumbkoff" in a loud cheery voice everyone for 3 aisles could
hear. 8|

I eventually made it a point to lose my card and get issued a new one.
This time I put my name as Dilbert President.

nb

--
vi --the heart of evil!
"Avenge me!" --Bill Burr
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2012 8:59 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "Nancy Young" <replyto@inemail> wrote

>> That's where I got into trouble. Giving a fake number. I couldn't
>> care less that they know I buy kettle chips or whole grain bread,
>> I don't want my phone number in the system. No problem until the
>> day I forgot my card. I used to give out my teen line that was
>> connected to a computer for work, good luck calling that.

> I understand your thinking, but your number is in the "system" more than
> you think. Start with Google, Zillow, and then a few others that carry
> information.
>
> Amazingly easy to find your personal information, spouses name, ages, etc.

It's true, I just don't volunteer to help them out. I pay for
an unlisted number so only people I give it to have it. Every
time I order something online they want it. Hey, I contacted you
by computer, you can just contact me that way if you need to.
I just zero out the last four digits.

I took an internet course at the local college a number of years
ago and one of the early assignments was to look up your address
and phone number online. Mine didn't just pop up, being unlisted,
and I didn't push it. I have no doubt someone could get it if
they really wanted to.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2012-04-28, Sky > wrote:
> >
> > Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that.

> Gotta watch 'em, though. It may backfire on you. I put my name as
> Rumplestiltskin Dumbkoff, or something equally silly. How was I to
> know Safeway made it a chain-wide policy to address everyone by their
> formal name. Every time I bought groceries, I'd get, "Thank you,
> Mr. Dumbkoff" in a loud cheery voice everyone for 3 aisles could
> hear. 8|
>
> I eventually made it a point to lose my card and get issued a new one.
> This time I put my name as Dilbert President.
>
> nb

LOL! Good one!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2012 9:41 PM, Sky wrote:
> On 4/27/2012 1:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces
>> you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it.
>> That's the breaks.

> Provide semi-valid information or something akin to that. "Big Brother"
> has been around for a long time, so it's sort of fun to twist its arm
> with information that's not exactly invalid
>
> Sky

There's not much data to falsify. They have my name wrong on the card
but that was a mistake on their part. The store has my buying habits
tied to that card number. That would be tough to invalidate. I could
make phoney purchases but what the heck would I do with all the cat
food? :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2012 1:39 AM, George wrote:
> On 4/27/2012 2:28 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Friday, April 27, 2012 3:01:57 AM UTC-10, jmcquown wrote:
>>> When John and I were shopping the other day we noticed those automated
>>> checkout stands. We both started laughing, then went to the lane with an
>>> actual person. Oh, and thank Bast my grocery store doesn't have one of
>>> those "savey-save ****y-**** cards" that let you get 5 cents off bootleg
>>> fruitloops.

>> I don't care for data collection schemes either but our Safeway forces
>> you to use your card. You'll pay about 20% if you opt not to use it.
>> That's the breaks.
>>

> Thats why we patronize stores that don't ask for an ID card. The store
> we shop at most frequently features the no ID card requirement in all of
> their advertising. The other policy they have is they will not sell
> "walmart style" adulterated/enhanced/injected" meat.

You probably have more choices than we do on this rock in the middle of
nowhere. Two of the three markets in this burg have cards. Safeway has
about 25% of their items affected by their cards. A lot of them are two
for one or discounted by a substantial amount. The Foodland card is more
like a coupon discount on a few items. You can probably opt to not use
it. You're pretty much forced to use the Safeway card if you choose to
shop there.

I am interested in where all this obsessive data collection will lead
us. I suspect that once they have all the data on us, it won't be all
that useful. Just my guess. I see that law enforcement is starting to
use flying drone technology. It doesn't take a genius to see that this
is probably the future of the police department. We live in interesting
times.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 28, 5:40*am, Nancy Young <replyto@inemail> wrote:
> On 4/28/2012 7:39 AM, George wrote:
>
> > Thats pretty unusual anymore at least in stores in our area. They will
> > say "do you have a store ID card?" If you say no they will ask if you
> > want one. If you say "I left it at home" they are instructed to ask for
> > the phone number you gave for your ID card so the information can be
> > properly collected.

> That's where I got into trouble. *Giving a fake number. *I couldn't
> care less that they know I buy kettle chips or whole grain bread,
> I don't want my phone number in the system. *No problem until the
> day I forgot my card. *I used to give out my teen line that was
> connected to a computer for work, good luck calling that.
>
> nancy

A lot of people use the song number 867-5301. http://www.876-5309.com/867-5309jenny.php
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> On 4/28/2012 7:39 AM, George wrote:
>
>> Thats pretty unusual anymore at least in stores in our area. They will
>> say "do you have a store ID card?" If you say no they will ask if you
>> want one. If you say "I left it at home" they are instructed to ask for
>> the phone number you gave for your ID card so the information can be
>> properly collected.

> That's where I got into trouble. Giving a fake number. I couldn't
> care less that they know I buy kettle chips or whole grain bread,
> I don't want my phone number in the system. No problem until the
> day I forgot my card. I used to give out my teen line that was
> connected to a computer for work, good luck calling that.
>
> nancy

Heh. I say you have to look it up by my name. Actually one card
I use has my dad's name on it, and he's been dead for over 13
years now.

--
Jean B.